19 replies to this topic

#1 S_T_R_A_N_G_E

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:29 AM

I know many of us are very attached to our clans or great houses. I would be great to support that attachment through playing house-only mechs or variants. The mech/ variant would only be playable by a certain house or clan. Each House would have a few of their own. A great paint job with the mech would be nice too to really show off faction loyalty.

I think there are plenty of historic examples from TT of houses modifying or ordering mechs with custom load outs. It would be interesting to see this happen in MWO.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:08 AM

View PostLocke2, on 02 March 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

I know many of us are very attached to our clans or great houses. I would be great to support that attachment through playing house-only mechs or variants. The mech/ variant would only be playable by a certain house or clan. Each House would have a few of their own. A great paint job with the mech would be nice too to really show off faction loyalty.

I think there are plenty of historic examples from TT of houses modifying or ordering mechs with custom load outs. It would be interesting to see this happen in MWO.

Sorry, it wouldn't work. Imagine the Mad Cat available to Clan Wolf only, while leaving the Jade Falcons only with the Thor and Loki (and the Ghost Bears getting only the Vulture). That's just one quick example.

What do you think? Who would be satisfied with the Vulture while knowing that some other Clan uses the Timbergod? I think that in a month 90% of players would join CW while nobody would be especially interested in playing for CGB.

#3 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:09 AM

Ah, while I agree that this may be a fun idea, I think it belongs in the feature suggestion section.

#4 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

Yeah, everyone would join whatever faction owned the current meta. That being said, a less restrictive version could be fun. For instance, using a House-preferred mech would earn you a slight boost in Loyalty Points or c-bills.

#5 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

View PostLocke2, on 02 March 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

Unique paint jobs are one thing, unique mechs/variants are something else entirely. I like where your head is at with this, I just can't see it working from a lore or game play perspective.

#6 S_T_R_A_N_G_E

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

hmm. it seems that people would think that I implied that known mechs like the madcat be limited to only one clan

That's a ridiculous idea... who thought of that?

What I meant was that like Davion would get a variant of Thunderbolt or Steiner woudl get variant of an Atlas.

Of course the faction colors as mech skins already exist... I was thinking of a special one.

Also if this is in the wrong place, modes please move it.

#7 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

View PostLocke2, on 02 March 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

hmm. it seems that people would think that I implied that known mechs like the madcat be limited to only one clan

What I meant was that like Davion would get a variant of Thunderbolt or Steiner woudl get variant of an Atlas.

Well, that's how I understood your words:
"I would be great to support that attachment through playing house-only mechs or variants. The mech/ variant would only be playable by a certain house or clan."

In 3050 Clan Wolf was the primary user of the Mad Cat with the other Clans having only a very very limited access to that 'Mech.

#8 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:14 AM

View PostLocke2, on 02 March 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

Of course the faction colors as mech skins already exist... I was thinking of a special one.

Also if this is in the wrong place, modes please move it.

Even then, I think most players would object, or simply not play the special variant of Thunderbolt or Atlas or whatever, unless they were considered competitive or a "top tier" mech. Thus, the point regarding the Madcat. It is still the go to standard for many in CW. If a special (better) variant were offered to one one house only, there are a LOT of folks around here would abandon ship and head to the house with the special variant of that mech. Wouldn't matter that other clans had their own special variants of some other mech, if that special Madcat was considered the top "meta" mech, that is the only one that would get played and the rest would fall to the way side.

On the opposite side, if such a system were based on lore, in those instances where a mech of particular low value (at least in this game in its current state) is associated with a given house (e.g. Dragon with FRR) no amount of specialization would get folks to play that mech...because they all stink. Unless it was a seriously OP buff (e.g. the short lived and infamous +1000% srm cool down Quickdraw), in which case everyone else will either cry foul, or resort to moving to play the OP mech as in the example above.

Again, I just don't see how you could do this in the present system. But I do like the general concept.

#9 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

The way to do it would to be provide a series of bonuses and penalites to highly shape the drop composition without hard limits.

That way space poors would not be shut out of CW. Plus trials should be immune. There are not that many faction specifics mechs. A high degree of equipment sharing already exists but there is definite faction preferences.

Edited by Spheroid, 02 March 2016 - 06:59 PM.

#10 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:52 PM

grand dragon plz

i want my laser barf dragon

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:19 AM

View PostRear Admiral Tier 6, on 02 March 2016 - 11:52 PM, said:

grand dragon plz

i want my laser barf dragon

Buy "Flame" and you have it.

#12 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:33 AM

View Postmartian, on 03 March 2016 - 12:19 AM, said:

Buy "Flame" and you have it.

already have one,grand dragon should have atleast 5 energy hardpoints

#13 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:02 AM

View PostRear Admiral Tier 6, on 03 March 2016 - 04:33 AM, said:

already have one,grand dragon should have atleast 5 energy hardpoints

Why?

Both DRG-1G Grand Dragon and DRG-5K Grand Dragon have 4 four energy weapons and thus four energy hardpoints (plus one missile hardpoint).
It's the same number and type of hardpoints that you can find on "Flame" - only the location of hardpoints is slightly different..

#14 Captain Artemis

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:13 AM

While that kind of restrictions is to much I think, with implementing proper Repair & Rearm system for Community Warfare that would work. So to speak, faction specific mechs would cost less to maintain, while others little more.

For example: Are you pilot of House Steiner? Then Zeus are cheaper to maintain than Victor - you see them little more on the battlefield. Cost of maintain could be based on the contract, with the best prices for permanent contract.

#15 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:26 AM

I agree a strict restriction to "house mechs" probably wouldn't work. It's just restrict a LOT the freedom we have to pick our mechs which is kind of an essence of Mechwarrior.

I'll note though that there are plenty of people out there who do this voluntarily to some extent. For example, I've played CW alongside some Liao groups who ran lots of Cataphracts. Definitely not a meta choice, but they did very well in them and it added some nice lore flavour. I also occasionally run some Liao mechs like the CDA-3C for fun. But even as a Liao loyalist, I can't make myself run Vindicators...

Also note that due to battlefield salvage it'd be possible, if unlikely, to see virtually any mech in any faction.

#16 Rekkon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 325 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:36 AM

I always thought each faction should have an exclusive variant of a signature mech as a high-rank CW reward.

#17 DarkClownIII

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:28 AM

yes +1

In comparison whit other games, the house / clan LP (loyalty points) can be used as currency, for one of these house specific mechs.

This also opens up the possibility to get ''that mech'' and switch house / clan from time to time ( and thus get another special mech).

Not to mention, an house-less Merc should get something from a black market.....

Music of the future for now i recon tho.

#18 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:59 AM

I like the idea of an LP boost to running your faction's favored mechs. I think it would also make sense to apply the same benefit to wearing faction camo.

Of course this all presupposes a robust CW system where there's a good distinction between factions. Give players a reason to pledge to a faction and support it.

#19 Alardus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:12 PM

View Postmartian, on 02 March 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

Sorry, it wouldn't work. Imagine the Mad Cat available to Clan Wolf only, while leaving the Jade Falcons only with the Thor and Loki (and the Ghost Bears getting only the Vulture). That's just one quick example.

What do you think? Who would be satisfied with the Vulture while knowing that some other Clan uses the Timbergod? I think that in a month 90% of players would join CW while nobody would be especially interested in playing for CGB.

That actually sounds fun and asymmetric warfare is far more interesting. TWs aren't that great anyway.

Edited by Alardus, 22 March 2016 - 05:12 PM.

#20 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:01 PM

It's not a bad idea and has been mentioned elsewhere on the forums I'm sure.
A unique variant could be introduced for each mech as a faction specific mech that provides some c-bill, xp or loyalty bonus.... similar to the champion and hero mechs... or perhaps it has different hard points to really stand apart.
It could then be restricted for selection according to the faction you are aligned with.
This gets a little fuzzy with the Clan Omni-mechs due to the interchangeable parts though and I can see it not really working with variants of a chassis for them.
A more blanket approach would be to apply a bonus when using a certain mech and belonging to the faction that favoured it.

A simple way to trial this is as an event.... I will go and create a suggestion.... we have had the faction sales before. Could work nicely.
:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users