Holmgang With Stock Mech Or Altered?

52 replies to this topic

Poll: Holmgang with stock mechs? (62 member(s) have cast votes)

Should a Holmgang be a fair fight with stock mechs?

1. Altered mechs? (49 votes [79.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 79.03%

2. Stock mechs? (13 votes [20.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.97%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BSK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:18 PM

As many have probably seen in this forum, Mech the Dane has asked me, unit leader of the BerSerKer for a Holmgang. After I had read the rules of a Holmgang, I accepted to a 1v1 in a stock Centurion-AH. A Holmgang has strict regulations for weapons and the combatants get up to 3 shields for the battle. Of course the Centurion came to my mind, and to represent the rules, my choice was a stock variant with ammo-dependant weapons.
Now he doesn't want a fair fight while we use the same weapons, he wants to change the Holmgang to a simple 1v1 duel to gerrymander the unfair conditions. Since many of his minions are begging me to have mercy, call him one of the most respected men in the FRR while he wants a good fight for the concerned public, of course we should ask the FRR community about their opinion on this subject in this forum.

#2 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:34 PM

View PostBSK, on 23 March 2016 - 02:18 PM, said:

Noises

I'll vote. But your OP doesn't actually address the issues brought up against your stock mech. You talk about weapons, but that isn't what was brought up.
What was brought up was heatsinks and armor values. That enforcing specific armor values and single-heat sinks would be difficult to enforce and very easy to exploit.

The fact that you think letting a pilot choose what he puts inside his mech as contributing to 'unfair conditions' and 'gerrymandering' on my part says much about your confidence and ability.

Finally, many of the people whom you claim are "my minions" are actually just members of the FRR Community and not even ISEN. I can't help that they aren't your biggest fans.

Edited by Mech The Dane, 23 March 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#3 Scurro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:45 PM

A Holmgang has strict regulations for weapons and the combatants get up to 3 shields for the battle.

Where are you getting this? According to wikipedia, the weapons/rules were determined by the parties involved.

You seem to be referencing Kormáks saga.

Wikipedia said:

Exact rules varied from place to place and changed over time, but before each challenge the duelists agreed to the rules they used. The duel was fought either on a pre-specified plot or on a traditional place which was regularly used for this purpose. The challenger recited the rules, traditional or those agreed upon, before the duel. Rules determined the allowed weapons, who was eligible to strike first, what constituted a defeat or forfeiture and what the winner received

#4 Padre Balistique

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

You just cant stop digging can you, BSK?

No one trusts you as far as they could throw their assault mechs barehanded, besides which.. Your constant insistence on using stock mechs to settle a petty vendetta that exists solely in your head is questionable, simply because theres no trust that you'd actually use stock when it comes to invisible factors like heatsinks and armor values.

How about you realize you made a blown this obscenely out of proportions, get down off your cross, apologize to Mech The Dane for the headaches, and leave the situation with a little class?

#5 Mahikan

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:14 PM

After only a few interaction with this BSK guy, he just looks like a arrogant person who, when finally is called out, tries some underhanded strategies rather then playing 1v1 in preset rules already established in this game.

Personally I hope you get destroyed and it's streamed. But I'd really recommend you working on a way to not come off so arrogant in a simple game.

Edit: Dane also said he would fight you in a trial mech. Which you refused, because reasons. This alone screams foul play since you want a stock mech so badly.

Edited by Lobo VVahya, 23 March 2016 - 04:45 PM.

#6 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

So both stream the duel. Pull mech up in mech bay to check.
Or, more rationally just pick a mech and modify it how you want.

Building a good mech is just as critical or more so than aim in MWO.

#7 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:47 PM

On the plus side, there's only so many ways you can outfit that mech and remain effective. Builds probably won't be too different.

#8 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:46 PM

i voted for altered mechs, but, maybe, we can use non meta mechs? I would like to see some creative, original builds kick arse on the battlefield ;)

BSK said that a fight with altered mechs would be unfair towards the other, but the only reason i see is that you have some sort of brain deficiency that limits your mechlabbing.

May the best pilot win.

if that wont work, just duke it out with thunderwubs

#9 GalahadVGL13

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:23 PM

why not just pick identical trial mechs and have at it? Just curious. Not my duel. I won't weigh in, vote-wise. Just seems like a mutual attempt at name and shame.

#10 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:31 PM

View PostGalahadVGL13, on 23 March 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

why not just pick identical trial mechs and have at it? Just curious. Not my duel. I won't weigh in, vote-wise. Just seems like a mutual attempt at name and shame.

I already offered to do that. But he refused and made this topic =P

#11 Scorpion Feet

• PipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:08 PM

Now he doesn't want a fair fight while we use the same weapons, he wants to change the Holmgang to a simple 1v1 duel to gerrymander the unfair conditions. Since many of his minions are begging me to have mercy ...

Reality called, it wants to know when you'll be back in touch?

Let me know so I can pass along the message.

Edited by GHoppa, 23 March 2016 - 08:09 PM.

#12 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:29 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 23 March 2016 - 07:31 PM, said:

I already offered to do that. But he refused and made this topic =P

Admittedly I have a lot of trouble dropping in Trials myself.

My massive epeen requires special fittings. I normally have to shave 1/2 ton of armor off the legs to free up weight for it but comfort is important.

Again, could both just stream the drop - both go into mech bay, pull up mech lab, let the specs of the mech be confirmed and then drop.

Or... just customize the mech. I do find it odd that someone is insistent that both parties be required to drop in 'stock' mechs but on the honor system.

#13 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:27 PM

My thoughts: the fairest duel would be between mechs of the same chassis. In this case, Centurion, which both of you own and have already agreed to. I would even go as far as to say that a proper and fair duel should see both pilots using the same set of weapons, which eliminates the possibility of hard counters (such as bringing a brawling Timber against a PPFLD Timber). There is no need to go further, in my opinion, as while is it menial to verify that both combatants have the same weapons equipped, the matter of details such as armour, heatsinks, engine, and even choice of specific hardpoint locations... is unrealistic to enforce, and also if one of the combatants optimises their build better than their opponent and wins in part due to it, then it demonstrates that their competence expands beyond the battlefield itself and into the preparation... and competent mechlabbing is a huge component to this game.

"Stock" loadout goes into the realm of extreme specificity, hence I am against it.

Edited by Tarogato, 24 March 2016 - 05:52 AM.

#14 Cruxs

• PipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMy parents basment.

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:41 AM

This stock mech nonsense is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Quit spewing that its the only fair way to fight its just ridiculous. Its really all just for fun anyways. Pick a mech and fight.

Who really plays this game with a stock mech? An AC 20 with an LRM 10 and single heatsinks? That may be the worst loadout ever used on any mech in this game. Thats what comes to your mind for a duel? SMH.

If you are to dumb to build a mech for a 1 vs 1 you have more problems then your pretentiousness.

#15 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:07 AM

So, how long we gonna wait on this poll, BSK?

#16 Padre Balistique

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:57 AM

View PostMech The Dane, on 24 March 2016 - 10:07 AM, said:

So, how long we gonna wait on this poll, BSK?

My hunch is he'll refuse to acknowledge the results, and instead make a third post detailing the FRRs atrocious harassment of him and how he is a victim.. While at the same time being snide and dismissive.

#17 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:39 AM

lets just fight already.

#18 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

Of the 7 votes currently for stockmechs, 5 of them are BSK Kurita members. 1 of them is a Marik account that is less then a week old and has never posted (alt) and it looks like only one of them is a legit FRR member.

Lots of legitimacy.

#19 DevlinCognito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 504 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:49 PM

Pick a time, both pick a witness (preferably someone who csn stream it) build your Cent how you want and go at it already. Its a duel, not an episode of Jeremy Kyle ladies.

#20 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

looks like no comment from the man himself, BSK

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users