Trying To Decide Which Mech To Hop In Next......

15 replies to this topic

#1 Ollorin

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:54 PM

Yup one of these threads. lol

So I just finished up eliting my GRF-2N and GRF-3M and I'm left trying to decide what to move on to next. I have a few ideas but I'm not sure and perhaps someone else might have a suggestion of a mech I hadn't considered.

The state of my current mechbay (engage wall of text):

Lights
RVN-4X, -2X, -3L - I'm kind of hit and miss on them. Don't hate 'em, don't love 'em.

Mediums
BJ-1X - Lovin' this machine and have it mastered. (Basic done on BJ-3 & BJ-1DC, but not a fan)
CN9-AL - Got it mastered, like enough for quickplay
CN9-AH - Elited, but not really a fan.
GRF-2N - Elited and enjoying it as a LRM/ECM support. Lurmin' from 200m FTW.
HBK-4J - Mastered. Lurmy goodness.
HBK-4SP - Elited. Prefer the 4J but still a good machine.
HBK-4P - Mastered. Was my goto direct fire mech for a while.
TBT-3C & 7M - 7M mastered, 3C elited. Thoroughly enjoyed these until I moved onto the Hunch
Stormcrow - Still working on learning this mech and eliting.

Heavy
QKD-5K, -4G, -4H - Basic done. Still trying to "get the feel for it".
TDR-9SE - Elited and enjoying this mech. My current go to heavy.

Assault
STK-4N - Elited, enjoying it, & my go to assault.
Misery - Basic done and a good mech just haven't played it much.
STK-3F - Basic done. Haven't played it much and don't really have an opinion

Obviously I'm biased towards IS. I also tend to gravitate towards mechs with fair to good mobility and avoid mechs with low weapon mounts. I'm also not much of a light pilot. And I'm preferably looking for a mech that can hold it's own dropping solo in CW. (my current deck is two TDR-9SE, STK-4N, & BJ-1X) I've also discovered that I'm terrible with ballistics.

What I'm considering:
Crab - Looks promising but I already have a fair amount of mediums.
Marauder - relatively shiny and new. They also seem to be pretty tough.
Black Knight - I'd have to learn to deal with low mounts but they seem to perform.
Battlemaster - just because as an option for my Stalker
King Crab - Because reasons.

#2 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

I really enjoyed the Crab, one of my favorite mediums. They play a lot like a hybrid of the BJ and and Cent, though they lack the Cent's ability to shield with it's arms.

The Marauder is a mech I've fully elited and nearly mastered. Sadly I don't have the Bounty Hunter, which is arguably one of the best MDRs. The 5D can play a lot like a larger HBK-4J (I run 2xLRM10s, 4xMLs, and an ERLL with a large standard engine). The 3R as I play it tends to act more like a Banshee 3E (but with high mounted ballistics). The 5M I like the least and have the worst luck generally with.

I loved the Black Knights. I even used them in CW to replace my TDRs. The quirks have changed since I last used them, but I've fought a good number and you can core many an assault before they can kill you one on one.

Battlemaster is a mech I haven't played in a long time (I mastered them way back when the phoenix pack was released). Though I did play with the 1S missile boat and a 'wubmaster' build in CW last year when I was experimenting with my drop deck.

And the KGC... I got them when they were released and used the 4xUAC5 in my CW dropdeck for a long time (until I got tired of being 'to slow' to keep up). Very good at defense, not so good at offense. However the only thing the IS has to compete with the DWF in most cases. However like the DWF it's really easy to take off the sides and leave it neutered.

#3 Ollorin

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:41 PM

I ended up deciding that since the Marauder was basically a cash purchase anyway, why not both the Marauder and Black Knight. I already have Basic done on both the BL-6-KNT & MAD-3R. Both are great mechs and once I have them elited I'll definitely be trying to work them into CW drop decks.

The alpha on the Black Knight is no joke so long as I catch someone on level ground.

I still need to work on my proficiency with ballistics and protecting my right side more with the Marauders but they seem to take quit a punishment and when no one focuses on my right side I've ended up dealing quite a bit of damage, for me using ballistics anyway. But I'm thinking the heat efficiency of the ballistics should help out on hotter maps.

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:06 AM

Looks like you need a heavy chassis. BL-KNT or GHR are the top choices but two more TDRs might make more sense short-term since you have one and they can do better with less expensive STD engines and the BL-KNT and GHR need big XLs to shine.

#5 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:03 PM

I'd go with the Battle master just based on my experience with it. I'd stay away from hunch back's though. They do decent if you remember your a support machine. but I see too many people rush out with them. and IF you do get a hunchy. DO NOT XL IT! Black Knight. Grasshopper and Dragons are all good heavies with the VND-1R Vindicator a nice hitting medium. Centurions are good too.

And hay. let us know what you finally do pick.

#6 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:07 AM

urbanmech

#7 Conreg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 111 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:47 AM

Black Knight. Get them.

Make them yours.

Then and only then... will you be ready for Warhammers. (which will be available for c-bills by time you work your way through the Black Knights, maybe.)

#8 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:08 AM

Treb 3C

1 large pulse in the ct,3 ml in the arms,XL380,endo+ferro,full armor

130 kph troll medium/kill stealer.

#9 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

Even though they just nerfed the black knight its my favorite laser boat at the moment. It runs very hot but you have to remember your LPLs are somewhat heat neutral. You can only alpha twice, after that chain fire those LPL for DPS. As for which one, the 6B is a nice 1st buy since it comes standard with DHS (one less thing to unlock). The 6 is the standard "meta" BK, the 7 often boats large lasers or copy-pastes the build from the 6. The 7L has the largest engine, and can boat an mpl spam build that moves fast for a heavy.

I recommend the BK because it's a good mech, but also a good CW drop (though avoid dropping it on vitric forge). It's tougher than a Timberwolf and has more DPS (alpha isn't as strong though. The SRM brawler timber does have more damage but at close range.). It's just a solid machine all around.

If you want to learn ballistics, I think the Jager would be the way to go :P

Edited by Starbomber109, 20 April 2016 - 08:15 PM.

#10 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:05 PM

The Black Knight is solid and you should probably get it first. But you should get a Crab at some point. Looking at what you got so far, I'm certain that you'll like the little critter. Have you considered Jenners at all?

#11 Ollorin

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:44 PM

View PostKnightshadowsong, on 14 April 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

I'd go with the Battle master just based on my experience with it. I'd stay away from hunch back's though. They do decent if you remember your a support machine. but I see too many people rush out with them. and IF you do get a hunchy. DO NOT XL IT! Black Knight. Grasshopper and Dragons are all good heavies with the VND-1R Vindicator a nice hitting medium. Centurions are good too.

And hay. let us know what you finally do pick.

Hunchback wasn't an option since I already have my Hunchie mastered. And I run an XL in it, which in my case makes sense since it's the 4J. The XL isn't really an issue with a LRM setup. The weight savings lets me run a larger engine for additional speed, which is how I like my med LRM setups: mobile. It also leaves me enough weight to mount 4 ML for dealing with lights and popping out from time to time for some juicy direct damage.

View PostFrechdachs, on 23 April 2016 - 06:05 PM, said:

The Black Knight is solid and you should probably get it first. But you should get a Crab at some point. Looking at what you got so far, I'm certain that you'll like the little critter. Have you considered Jenners at all?

I have considered Jenners but I've discovered I'm not very good in lights. Still I'll probably work through the Jenners at some point and probably pick up an oxide.

Ultimately I picked up 3 of the Marauders and 2 Black Knights. I would be picking up my 3rd Black Knight but due to the changes in drop deck mass I've had to step up my plans of picking up a 2nd BJ-1X to replace one of my Thunderbolts in my drop deck. Once I get my Black Knights elited I'll be moving onto the Battlemaster since it seems like this last round of quirk changes is going to give it an advantage over my current Stalker.

#12 Dagada Moor

• PipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 99 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Florida

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:16 AM

Spiders or locust. You will love them!

#13 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:26 PM

Lights: Wolf Hound, little tanks

Medium: Crab is you safest bet, though I've been toying with the idea of building Shadow Hawks like jumpy Hunchbacks if you want to try something more challenging.

Heavy: Marauder, it's a 75 ton assault mech. Black Knight is a close second

Assault: Took forever to master my Misery so I may not be the best assault guy but the King Crabs long lasting popularity speaks volumes.
I do like the hard points on Battle Master but many Beamer pilots always warn me that you will a love hate relationship while your leveling the mach.

#14 Vermin

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

I am going to suggest King Crab, because reasons...

seriously though, when it launched i hated the beast as it is intimidating and people eere focus firing the crud outta me. However now it's not the new kid on the block so the heat seems to be off a bit.

currently I am running the 6x m.gun 2x lrmx15+ Art and 2 L. Laser build with a Stnd 320 (ish) engine. This thing makes dead Timberwolves fast...

Of course it has the usual side effects of being big and heavy, but if you play it somewhat like a splat-cat that can provide damage values at any range under 1000m this thing is a definite beast...

(By that i mean, dont be agressive, the king crab is scary and you will get focus fired)

interesting point of note, the LLasers are mounted really high and the LRMS shoot almost straight up in an arc so cover is definitely viable for everything but the machine guns. The machine guns i really just use for aiming assistance for the LLasers anyway... Oh and for critting Twiggies.

Edited by Vermin, 26 June 2016 - 05:32 PM.

#15 Autologus

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:18 AM

Locust LCT-3S, learn to drive it well and it is a murder machine at over 150 kph. It is one fun little mech.

LCT-3S Murder Machine

#16 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:49 AM

View PostVermin, on 26 June 2016 - 05:26 PM, said:

I am going to suggest King Crab, because reasons...

seriously though, when it launched i hated the beast as it is intimidating and people eere focus firing the crud outta me. However now it's not the new kid on the block so the heat seems to be off a bit.

currently I am running the 6x m.gun 2x lrmx15+ Art and 2 L. Laser build with a Stnd 320 (ish) engine. This thing makes dead Timberwolves fast...

Of course it has the usual side effects of being big and heavy, but if you play it somewhat like a splat-cat that can provide damage values at any range under 1000m this thing is a definite beast...

(By that i mean, dont be agressive, the king crab is scary and you will get focus fired)

interesting point of note, the LLasers are mounted really high and the LRMS shoot almost straight up in an arc so cover is definitely viable for everything but the machine guns. The machine guns i really just use for aiming assistance for the LLasers anyway... Oh and for critting Twiggies.

Why would you do that??? Why are so many people doing this latelly?? Wtf!!! Why are people even recommending things like this???

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users