Highlander Iic Thoughts?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Athousandson

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:33 AM

Hi guys, I think the Highlander IIC is gonna be released for C-bills soon and I was thinking of getting one to try. I was wondering if anyone has any comments about this mech. What's good about it or what's bad?

I typically play a brawler Atlas D-DC so that kinda sets the tone for how I usually play. I've heard the Highlander is kinda squishy, but my plan for it is to be more of a mid-range assault. 2 UAC-10s and 2 MPLs + 1 LPL for the Highlander IIC-C?

#2 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

I like the HGN-IIC very much, although I do not like assaults. I played them in CW quite successfully but you might want to check your position time and again to not get cut off of your team. This Mech can take a punch, yet the armor is - at times - paper thin it seems. You may also want to check out the Orion IIC.

Here is how I ran mine:

IIC
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9b173afc7b98757

IIC-C
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2596473d78a9608

edit (1st Mech used):
Posted Image

different IIC-C, was not that fun to play
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a13d2d7607af33f

Edited by latinisator, 01 April 2016 - 10:05 AM.

#3 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:18 AM

I've just finished grinding through the Highlander IICs....
Its a second line support mech, like the orion IIC.
It doesn't compare all that well against popular front line mechs/builds.
It excels in the LRM support role, while having respectable direct fire capabilities at the same time.
Gauss Rifle+3 Large pulse is the only really viable direct fire only build currently.

Worth getting? i personally say yes, i've had a lot of fun with it.

#4 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:58 AM

Abuses DHS like mad, can do some nasty DPS or ghost-heat breaking LPL builds... but the speed and absolutely painfully sluggish torso twist rate are frustrating like very, very few other mechs in the game. It doesn't stand up well in its current state, being extraordinarily feast or famine (though often overlooked as a priority target).

I've had some ridiculously good matches in it, BUT... leveling it was one of the most annoying experienced I've had in the game for a long time. The Hitboxes are pretty bad to boot (that jutting CT head). I think I'd enjoy it quite a bit more with quirks handling -just- acceleration, deceleration, and most importantly, torso twist rates to utilize the humanoid profile more.

I wouldn't snag it unless you're used to that sheer level of sluggishness and the hitbox/issues twisting damage due to said sluggishness until they give it a bit of love. For the tonnage, its armor really does feel like paper to boot; it doesn't bring much to the table that you can't do better on another Assault beyond the DHS cramming (I don't consider boating even more LRMs on an slow *** assault a selling feature).

The best matches I've had were wither Dual Uac10's +2 LPL, a whooole lot of DHS and/or either more DHS (making it crazy heat efficient) or a big T-Comp to boost the UAC travel speeds, the 3x LPL + Gauss pinpoint chunker, or Quad LPL. Don't even -think- about brawling with it like it's some lighter weight Atlas... it gets mulched in a brawl ridiculously quick with its twist rates.

Edited by Moebius Pi, 04 April 2016 - 01:01 AM.

#5 Athousandson

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:08 AM

Sounds like something I wouldn't want to be too invested in :/ I've been pretty used to the Atlas's tankiness and decent torso turn rates. I play a WHK-C as well, which is more of a mid-range sort of build (2x ERPPC, UAC-10 and 2x SRM6). I intend to play this Highlander IIC more like the WHK.

I do hope the torso twist thing isn't too crappy though, I intend to use the left arm of the HGN IIC-C as a shield arm sort of thing, since the 2 UAC 10s are gonna be in the right arm. Either way, thanks for the feedback!

#6 Athousandson

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:52 AM

For anyone who's reading this, I got the mech just a while ago and ran two rounds with it.

Did 800 damage in the first round and 700 in the second. Lost the first but won the second. It's a pretty decent mech but the torso hitbox and twist rate is terrible. Even after unlocking twist speed. I guess I'm in for a long journey to mastering this one

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users