70 replies to this topic

#61 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

View PostUltimax, on 01 May 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

You know, I wanted to come back to this, as I realized the Kodiak with a 400CXL, Endo & FF will travel as fast as the Night Gyr but also have like an extra 6-8 tons for weapons.

No JJs, but food for thought.

And don't forget the MASC on the Spirit Bear! Poke monster.

#62 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:17 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 01 May 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

More of a brawler though... 4 SRM 6s and an big ballistic... I don't know how much poke you can do with that hardpoint layout

#63 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:25 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 01 May 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

Just one variant though, I'm more aiming towards doing 4x UACs of some stripe with the biggest engine I can manage.

400CXL is a bit too large for 4x UAC 10s though, but 2x UAC 10s + 2x UAC 5s should be fine.

Edited by Ultimax, 01 May 2016 - 01:26 PM.

#64 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:48 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 01 May 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

More of a brawler though... 4 SRM 6s and an big ballistic... I don't know how much poke you can do with that hardpoint layout

Urban corner poke. With splat.

I actually expect the Spirit Bear to become a staple for a team intent on playing aggressive on something like Frozen City due to the speed allowing it to be less of a hindrance to motion, but I also expect the Atlas to absolutely crush it if the opposing side sets up and executes a good reception.

View PostUltimax, on 01 May 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

Just one variant though, I'm more aiming towards doing 4x UACs of some stripe with the biggest engine I can manage.

400CXL is a bit too large for 4x UAC 10s though, but 2x UAC 10s + 2x UAC 5s should be fine.

Crazy talk time: I'm curious if 4x LB-10X wouldn't make for a pretty decent brawl build at 400XL (or even 385-390). Up to ~ 200 m, that's basically an AC/40 at a 37.5% faster rate of fire and it's pretty cold, having zero ghost heat. You get 120 rounds safely, and I haven't even done the math to see if adding Ferro in is doable. Unlike the UACs, it doesn't need copious amounts of ammo to account for the burst nature and double-taps.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 01 May 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#65 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:21 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 01 May 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

Crazy talk time: I'm curious if 4x LB-10X wouldn't make for a pretty decent brawl build at 400XL (or even 385-390). Up to ~ 200 m, that's basically an AC/40 at a 37.5% faster rate of fire and it's pretty cold, having zero ghost heat. You get 120 rounds safely, and I haven't even done the math to see if adding Ferro in is doable. Unlike the UACs, it doesn't need copious amounts of ammo to account for the burst nature and double-taps.

I've tried 4x LB 10s on the Mauler in testing grounds just to see how it was and I wasn't impressed.

That's against stationary targets with no enemy pressure on me while I fire.

I will however, probably, give 2x UAC 10 + 1x UAC 20 a try at some point. Posted Image

#66 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

View PostUltimax, on 01 May 2016 - 02:21 PM, said:

I've tried 4x LB 10s on the Mauler in testing grounds just to see how it was and I wasn't impressed.

That's against stationary targets with no enemy pressure on me while I fire.

I will however, probably, give 2x UAC 10 + 1x UAC 20 a try at some point. Posted Image

That's a Mauler, though. It can only barely fit 4xLB-10X in it and it requires a slow STD engine. The KDK can do it pretty comfortably while also running considerably faster. The speed is what makes this.

The KDK will be pretty awesome at Dakka, I'm just wondering how good it will be at brawl since people seem to consider it an alternative to the Atlas. I do think the most likely outcome for brawl is going to be 3xcSRM6A+LB-20X (maybe cUAC/20)+2xcSPL (perhaps flamers) on a MASC-equipped Spirit Bear but I like to try outside-the-box before convention.

#67 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:58 PM

Posted Image

And for the people who don't like the Goose Waffle meta and prefer a more hide/poke experience...

Posted Image

#68 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:00 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 01 May 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

That's a Mauler, though. It can only barely fit 4xLB-10X in it and it requires a slow STD engine. The KDK can do it pretty comfortably while also running considerably faster. The speed is what makes this.

The KDK will be pretty awesome at Dakka, I'm just wondering how good it will be at brawl since people seem to consider it an alternative to the Atlas. I do think the most likely outcome for brawl is going to be 3xcSRM6A+LB-20X (maybe cUAC/20)+2xcSPL (perhaps flamers) on a MASC-equipped Spirit Bear but I like to try outside-the-box before convention.

The speed of the Mauler is irrelevant in the training grounds, the point was that the concentration of damage on stationary mechs was not satisfactory and the TTK one was too long imo.

I'm not convinced it will stand up competitively vs. an Atlas in a brawl as the Atlas basically does this through enormous structure quirks that the Kodiak is unlikely to get.

On top of that, even if you tried you still can't actually get more firepower than the Atlas by going Spirit Bear.

4 Missile Hardpoins
LB 20 or UAC 20
Some kind of lighter ton clan laser

That's as good as it will get which is basically what an Atlas has (and I think for this build the AC 20 > UAC 20 / LB 20)

It will have MASC and be more agile, and you can get a bigger engine by going CXL 400 - but that also makes you more even more fragile than the Atlas in some ways (you gain agility, but lose STD engine benefits)

#69 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

I want to get a night gyr standard pack

but the issue will be what mechs are on the pack and which ones are in the reinforcement.

I would think everyone would have their own preferences, but mines the Prime, B and D variants. If the D especially is a Reinforcement, then Ill probably wait for Cbills

I want to pilot that LRM Beast now.

#70 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:31 PM

View PostChuanhao, on 01 May 2016 - 08:25 PM, said:

I want to get a night gyr standard pack

but the issue will be what mechs are on the pack and which ones are in the reinforcement.

I would think everyone would have their own preferences, but mines the Prime, B and D variants. If the D especially is a Reinforcement, then Ill probably wait for Cbills

I want to pilot that LRM Beast now.

Prime, A, and B will be the standard pack. Don't see a reason for them to change up the order. I just want the D for its CT energy hardpoint.

#71 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:33 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 01 May 2016 - 08:31 PM, said:

Prime, A, and B will be the standard pack. Don't see a reason for them to change up the order. I just want the D for its CT energy hardpoint.

Hehe. You want the D.....

(Oh, c'mon! Someone had to say it!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users