10 replies to this topic

#1 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:06 AM

This is not a new player topic exclusively but maybe if it's posted here we can stop some players developing the bad habit of not communicating in game.

I meet this even in the highest tier games and especially on the EU servers. Anyone who has played more than their cadet bonus games must have noticed that communication is OP in MWO: identifying targets, calling grid references even down to timing a push, turn or fallback; all these are easily done in a game with both type and voice chat and communicating any of those to the rest of your team makes a world of difference.

OK, I accept fully that most EU players don't have English as their first language, however, the vast majority have probably been playing PC/console games for some time and must surely be able, at the very least, to give a grid reference? Even if they have no mic, or are unwilling/unable for whatever reason to speak on in-game voice-chat, "D5" is the same in most EU languages other than those using the cyrillic alphabet and even with those I am certain they can adapt.

Also, I am sure a lot of English speakers would soon learn to count from 1-10 in the major EU languages if people used them!

TL/DR - Talk to each other mechwarriors, communication and team work are OP

Peace

Edited by Jimmy DiGriz, 30 April 2016 - 07:08 AM.

#2 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:44 AM

Better yet, use the phonetic alphabet:

A = Alpha
B = Bravo
C = Charlie
D = Delta
E = Echo
F = Foxtrott
G = Golf
H = Hotel
I = India
J = Julliet
K = Kilo
L = Lima
M = Mike
N = November
O = Oscar
P = Papa
Q = Quebec
R = Romeo
S = Sierra
T = Tango
U = Uniform
V = Victor
W = Whiskey
X = Xray
Y = Yankee
Z = Zulu

1 = One
2 = Two
3 = Tree (really, forget the TH pronounciation)
4 = Fourer (really, with er)
5 = Fiver (ditto)
6 = Six
7 = Seven
8 = Eight
9 = Niner
0 = Zero

#3 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

I still like J = Jell-o

I have petitioned NATO several times with no response.

#4 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:16 AM

I've yet to get my older headset to work even though it works. I will keep trying. I'm now at the playing level where I understand and can even make calls. And I'm learning maps and missions.

I have played in a number of cluster funk missions where talking with info could of really helped.

#5 AmazingOnionMan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

View PostJimmy DiGriz, on 30 April 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

OK, I accept fully that most EU players don't have English as their first language, however, the vast majority have probably been playing PC/console games for some time and must surely be able, at the very least, to give a grid reference? Even if they have no mic, or are unwilling/unable for whatever reason to speak on in-game voice-chat, "D5" is the same in most EU languages other than those using the cyrillic alphabet and even with those I am certain they can adapt.

The communication-part isn't the problem for me, it's the "trying to squint out a coordinate on the minimap while I'm busy not getting killed"-part that gets me.

#6 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostAmazingOnionMan, on 30 April 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

The communication-part isn't the problem for me, it's the "trying to squint out a coordinate on the minimap while I'm busy not getting killed"-part that gets me.

Yes, the minimap grid-square reference designator legend font/color/size needs an improvement. It can be quite hard to make out especially in the heat of battle when laser/autocannon fire and missiles are rocking the cockpit and the secondary lighting from those are blasting the screen.

Still, I manage to do a decent enough job and I'm 58 years old with the commensurate vision-quality degradation. A lot depends on how determined you are to make the effort. Many players don't have any sound whatever enabled due to either room mates, spouses/children sleeping, or simply don't have the money for hardware/speakers etc.

One solution to this problem that I've seen implemented quite effectively in other games is a set of hot-key general battle messages like "attack my target", "need support (w/auto map location included)", "return to base", "regroup" etc etc. For example typing the letter 'G' (for General Battle Commands) followed by a number: 'G1' = 'Attack My Target' which could not only be displayed as text but also as a prerecorded computer voice in the player's selected language, as well as highlight the enemy designator-triangle and display the indicated target & location on the minimap.

This would eliminate the need to stop controlling your 'mech to use the text chat, which is another major disincentive to in-game communication.

The 'Training Ground" tutorial IMO should also take cadets through the use of these General Battle Command keys if implemented.

This would go a long ways towards massively improving the game experience for everyone, bridge language barriers to basic battle communication, and development-wise should not be that major an undertaking to implement.

Edited by BlueStrat, 30 April 2016 - 11:32 AM.

#7 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:44 AM

Well, the bigger the screen, the bigger the mini map is.
Playing on a 30" screen can really improve your performance there (if only it was really mine and not only borrowed for a day)

#8 WildVector

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:57 AM

Before this becomes viable, I'd prefer an option to LOCK the mini-map so it STOPS rotating.

AFER that fix I'd consider the battle grid change Posted Image

#9 SteelBruiser

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:37 AM

View Postel piromaniaco, on 30 April 2016 - 11:44 AM, said:

Well, the bigger the screen, the bigger the mini map is.
Playing on a 30" screen can really improve your performance there (if only it was really mine and not only borrowed for a day)

I just picked up a beautiful 25" and it makes surprising difference from the 23 I was using. I looked at the 27" but for my game space the 25" works perfect. If I need more I'll take over the 42" in the livingroom. ;D

As for headsets, I found many folks with headset issues don't know to press Caps Lock as Press to Talk.

#10 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

27" screens on the both rigs I regularly play (1920x1080) is just o.k.
32" with 3000 something res. was a big improvement (only for one day :( )
I can play on a 1m wide screen with projector, that would be really great gaming, but it has only 800x600 resolution.

#11 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:56 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 30 April 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

I've yet to get my older headset to work even though it works. I will keep trying. I'm now at the playing level where I understand and can even make calls. And I'm learning maps and missions.

I have played in a number of cluster funk missions where talking with info could of really helped.

I just use a cheap $15 headset and mic from Walmart, no issues what so ever. Before I bothered picking it up a cheap set of headphones or ear bud and my desk mic did ok.

I had to play with my audio settings slightly when I built my newer computer a few months ago, but as long as everything is configured correctly in Windows for it, I've seen 0 issues out of any audio setup I've tried to use with MWO, even when some of the VOIP services I use with my unit were giving me fits getting them configured correctly for a bit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users