No replies to this topic

#1 McMurl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 186 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:25 PM

Disclaimer: im aware that a form of mech based mine layer doesnt exist in the BTU except in the form of thunder munitions. i am also aware that this is probably a really dumb idea, just wanted to throw it into the wind.

tl;dr:
-Mine layer, either missile hardpoint or new hardpoint
-Only damages legs
-Moderate damage to armored legs
-Massive damage to unarmored legs
-Map-based light camouflage
-To be used on all light mechs, fast mediums and other under performing mechs
-Strict range mechanics, can only be deployed under 100m-150m
-Small trip range 25-50m
-Small blast radius 25-50m
-Ammo can explode
-New tactics, freshens up the game, other arguments blah blah blah.

So there havent been any new weapons added to the game since the clan mechs came out, and even then i wouldnt really consider their new weapons to be completely new weapons. But there is a massive balance extravaganza that PGI has to go through if they ever wanted to add new weapons. However, now that PGI has announced that they will be completely rewriting the 'explosives' code (this code pertains to Arty and Air strikes, as well as the new Long Tom FP mechanic) this gave me an idea: Mine Laying equipment. Now im not gonna get into any specific numbers and damage with this weapon because im not a game dev, but i will go over some ideas:

Have it be semi noticeable, with maybe a light per-map self camouflager (this camouflage would be very basic, like on the bog it would a shade of green, on alpine it would be faded white. This would prevent them sticking out like a sore thumb at 1000m+ range on maps like alpine where a basic black color would be noticeable from the moon)

Have it either be a missile-type weapon or introduce its own weapon/utility hardpoint. The missile hardpoint path would limit it to some mechs, which may be a good idea, and it would help take away from the death alpha. The new utility path could be applied to any mechs that PGI deems fit for the role.

It would require ammo, as is usual, but to prevent huge minefields becoming a thing, maybe give the launcher limited ammo slots, identical to how bigger engines work with heatsink slots, and prevent mine ammunition from being stored elsewhere in the mech. Ammo would also be able to detonate from crits.

They would have a small blast radius and would only damage the legs. They would also have a small 'trip' radius, so like you'd have to get within 25 or 50m from the things. could also play with a small, medium, large minelayer idea, the bigger the mine layer, the bigger the mines, more damage, more noticeable, etc.

They would do MASSIVE damage to legs with no armor remaining, as in blowing off a freshly stripped leg of any mech (but only 1 leg at a time, to prevent some imbalance, and not doing any damage transfer to the corresponding torso, have the damage scale per mech, if there was only 1 kind of mine) Mines would do basic damage to legs with armor, lets say 20, but can be applied to both legs.

Also mines would use the NARC/LRM mechanics in terms of how they are deployed. They would have a max range of 150m from the mech that is firing them. anything fired outside the 150m range would behave like IS LRMs when they hit something inside that 180m max limit, they would arc down and then tumble away, being destroyed. This would prevent long range mine laying because thats stupid and no one wants that. (PS: i hope this part makes sense, ill revise if needed)

Now for some tactics. First, i like the create a new utility slot idea. that way mechs like the Vindi, MLX, LCT, IFR and most, if not all lights can be a bit more useful without having to rely on mega quirks. Some other mechs, like the SMN, or other mechs that might have to rely on massive quirks can use them as well.

Second, the obvious tactics involved with mines would freshen things up. Setting up traps, blocking passageways, using them as a tool to assist you when you need to flee, forcing your pursuer to have to either stop to destroy the mine or just stop chasing you in general, etc. There are alot of cool things that mines could bring, and alot of the mechs that cant stack up with their similar weight counterparts can be of more use. I think that most, if not all light mechs should be able to lay down mines, just to give them that touch of uniqueness that they desperately deserve and need.

I know that this was a long read, and i appreciate those who read it through. Please know that yes, this could be the stupidest idea ever, but meh, who cares, mine laying would be cool. and think of the new modules and pilot skills that could come out of it? Mine sweeping radar, extra range launchers, ammo count modules, better concealment modules, etc.

Edited by grievoussmaug, 02 May 2016 - 10:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users