100 replies to this topic

#1 ChaoticUrlond

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMythical Land of Potatoes

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:31 PM

Noticing the Phase 3 Map, Smoke Jaguar has been vaporized, Ghost Bear has 1 planet. Clan wolf is still holding on. Clan Jade Falcon is falling apart, so my question is... Are Clans Done?

#2 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:34 PM

YES - ALL IS LOST.

...until the bigs move back to the Clan side and then it'll be IS players asking the same thing.

#3 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:38 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 16 May 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

YES - ALL IS LOST.

...until the bigs move back to the Clan side and then it'll be IS players asking the same thing.

Welcome to Mercenary Play (factions are merely the location of battle, mercs control and drive every other aspect of the mode).

#4 Gigashot

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

Trying. But it's really difficult to make any headway when the attack queue is 0/0. No game, anywhere, should have any queue with 0/0.

#5 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:29 AM

Well... the Clanners relied on clownshoes OP levels of tech to carry them to victory for nearly two years.

Now that they no longer have access to that tech, they quit in droves, leaving the queues empty. So the queues stay that way until the super units switch back over to populate the queues.

Since the clans refuse to fight each other and Davion and Steiner avoid each other, they may as well reduce the factions to:
-Clans
-Fed Commonwealth
-Dracs
-Space Vikings
-Marik
-Liao

#6 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

View PostChaoticUrlond, on 16 May 2016 - 12:31 PM, said:

Noticing the Phase 3 Map, Smoke Jaguar has been vaporized, Ghost Bear has 1 planet. Clan wolf is still holding on. Clan Jade Falcon is falling apart, so my question is... Are Clans Done?

A handful of Units always decide who wins and who loses since Faction Play first started (back when it was called Community Warfare). When they switch back to Clans watch what happens.

#7 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

KODIAK WILL SAVE US.

#8 Gigashot

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 17 May 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

A handful of Units always decide who wins and who loses since Faction Play first started (back when it was called Community Warfare). When they switch back to Clans watch what happens.

Kind of seems like there should be pretty restrictive Unit cap, to keep that from being the case.

#9 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:06 PM

View PostGigashot, on 17 May 2016 - 12:03 PM, said:

Kind of seems like there should be pretty restrictive Unit cap, to keep that from being the case.

You would think. But at the same time we'd likely have MS-1, MS-2, MS-3, etc.

#10 Gigashot

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 17 May 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

You would think. But at the same time we'd likely have MS-1, MS-2, MS-3, etc.

Ha true! But at least maybe there'd be SOME queue displacement? Maybe? idk I'm just tired of seeing 12 NTEX vs. 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 4, 1, 1, every single game.

Maybe take it a step further, have Unit cap, and have Faction ratio limits, so you couldn't join an overpopulated faction.

I mean someone up there has to be thinking about these things right? ....right?

#11 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

View PostGigashot, on 17 May 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

Ha true! But at least maybe there'd be SOME queue displacement? Maybe? idk I'm just tired of seeing 12 NTEX vs. 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 4, 1, 1, every single game.

Maybe take it a step further, have Unit cap, and have Faction ratio limits, so you couldn't join an overpopulated faction.

Nah, gotta shovel out that next mechpack!

#12 Iron Buccaneer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 290 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

Mercs will dominate until they make being a loyalist cool. Seems like I say that every day but it is still better to be a merc than a loyalist.

#13 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:17 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 17 May 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

KODIAK WILL SAVE US.

This is actually true if only b/c mercs are coming back to clams to play this...

#14 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:21 PM

So they should run off players who only want to play for their chosen faction? Or force them to play a different one?

Perhaps save yourselves instead of asking the devs to do it? Take advantage of NGNG's TS servers. Organize multi-unit training sessions. Coordinate attacks.

#15 Gigashot

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:26 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 17 May 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

So they should run off players who only want to play for their chosen faction? Or force them to play a different one?

Perhaps save yourselves instead of asking the devs to do it? Take advantage of NGNG's TS servers. Organize multi-unit training sessions. Coordinate attacks.

- lets just stick with the edit -

Edit: As to "running off players who will only play their #1 favorite faction" I think they would probably want to compare it to the numbers of "running off players who face a 0/0 queue". I have to imagine that the number of players who quit because they are consistently unable to find matches in a reasonable amount of time is greater than the number of player who would quit if they couldn't join an over populated faction.

Edited by Gigashot, 17 May 2016 - 12:31 PM.

#16 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:34 PM

Factions are already relatively well balanced. When Mercs go to accept a contract, they get to see the population balance per faction. Last time we changed, all factions were between 8 and 12 percent population . . . GB was 8, Dav was 12. Everyone else was 9 or 10.

#17 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:03 PM

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 17 May 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

Well... the Clanners relied on clownshoes OP levels of tech to carry them to victory for nearly two years.

Now that they no longer have access to that tech, they quit in droves, leaving the queues empty. So the queues stay that way until the super units switch back over to populate the queues.

Since the clans refuse to fight each other and Davion and Steiner avoid each other, they may as well reduce the factions to:
-Clans
-Fed Commonwealth
-Dracs
-Space Vikings
-Marik
-Liao

To be era appropriate, it should be:

FedCom

Kurita / Liao / Marik

FRR

Invading Clans

FW is basically a hamster wheel now since the merc contract bonuses will increase as a faction population drops, so the mercs will move around almost every time their contracts expire.

Edited by Ed Steele, 17 May 2016 - 01:06 PM.

#18 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:07 PM

View PostIron Buccaneer, on 17 May 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

Mercs will dominate until they make being a loyalist cool. Seems like I say that every day but it is still better to be a merc than a loyalist.

Well, this is MWOMERCS.com

#19 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:06 PM

Truthfully, it doesn't make any business sense for PGI to think about Faction Play anymore. As long as it has Units it'll always be stuck at an average population of 10% of the already small playerbase and how can you have FP without Units? For a niche IP like Mechwarrior the correct formula is a PvE campaign plus DLCs for the lore hounds and BattleTech fans and Solaris 7 for the competitive shooter crowd. FP is for a bigger franchise.

Edited by Triordinant, 17 May 2016 - 02:08 PM.

#20 SP3CTREnyc

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:14 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 17 May 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

Truthfully, it doesn't make any business sense for PGI to think about Faction Play anymore. As long as it has Units it'll always be stuck at an average population of 10% of the already small playerbase and how can you have FP without Units? For a niche IP like Mechwarrior the correct formula is a PvE campaign plus DLCs for the lore hounds and BattleTech fans and Solaris 7 for the competitive shooter crowd. FP is for a bigger franchise.

A hard unit size cap instead of an increasing cost of enlistment would break up the bigger units and dissolve them across the factions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users