32 replies to this topic

#21 Janus Orworth

• PipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:32 AM

Gentlemen!
I've been monitoring this thread for a while, and the general consensus with respect to the choice of a gaming-oriented mouse appears to be leaning way too heavily towards either Razer or Logitech products (namely Nagas, Deathadders and G502s). Several claims have been made that, to my mind, warrant subjecting them to a bit more scruitiny.

First off, you've got to take into consideration that the fit and feel of a manipulator depends not only on its shape but on the user's physique and grip type. Any claims as to a certain product being superior in terms of ergonomics are therefore null and void. Let's take the G502 and the D-Adder for example: both mice are of considerable length (132 mm and 127 mm respectively) which makes them a rather dubious choice for a fingertip grip if your hand's less than 180 mm from the base to the tip of your middle finger. (My hand measurements lengthwise give somewhere around 189 mm, and although I was able to control both the G502, the DA with relative ease, I could think of a few options better suited for fingertip grip.) Then again, both of these products are generally considered as safe all-around options, not specifically tailored towards FPS games. You will probably get the value you pay for, but then again, with proper research I'd assume one could find options that suit their personal needs better (especially if a person's got a left dominant arm).

Ideally, when you want to purchase a computer mouse, it's worth visiting a respectable brick-and-mortar shop to try different products on for size. Take into account the dimensions of the mouse (length/width/height), it's weight, the curvature of the buttons, then read up on the sensor (optical is preferable to laser; dpi values above 4000 are generally reserved for multiple hi-def monitor setups or serve as a marketing trick), check the device for rattling, assess the feel and travel distance of the buttons as well as build quality and the materials. After you've done all that, decide if you're willing to pay the asking price and — hopefully — return home with a new gaming-ready rodent.

Not long ago I've come across a rather competent peripherals reviewer: http://www.youtube.c...ocketjumpninja. The guy uses sound methodology for testing (just don't watch the mech keyboard videos, that's evidently not his forte).

P.S.
If you've got lots of dough, just buy all the mice and use the one you like best.

#22 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:54 AM

View PostCatamount, on 18 May 2016 - 04:33 PM, said:

The G502 will be a much better pointing device that's more shooter-oriented. So will the Razor, for all seven minutes it might last (unless you win the QC lottery?)

It's definitely a bit of luck of the draw no matter which brand you go for, I've had some lackluster Logitech products in the past (keyboard worked long after the keys labels were rubbed off, and at one point I had an endless string of mouse replacements via warranty) even though many other people have had good luck with them. If you have a local shop with a liberal extended warranty exchange policy, it can be worth it on a gaming mouse you expect to use heavily.

#23 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:54 AM

View PostDestro1000, on 20 May 2016 - 04:55 AM, said:

I just picked up the G502 Proteus after reading the recommendations of this thread. I have never owned a mouse with so many options so I am currently trying to find that sweet spot for MWO as this mouse is far more responsive than I am used to. The mouse is very comfortable and I like the button placement so far.

You don't have to use the mouse's ridiculous sensitivity capability to make good use of the mouse

This is my set of sensitivity levels, with the sniper button going to 300

Posted Image

I run MWO at 900dpi and it works beautifully. 12,000DPI only gets used in Space Engineers, when flying 50,000,000+ kg vessels that lag the sim speed down.

A good optical sensor is hugely beneficial at low DPI, too, because it's still more accurate and lacks acceleration, vs a laser sensor, and Logitech has one of the best you're going to find anywhere (the best?). Logitech does that a lot: forgoes common off-the-shelf stuff the market is replete with and one-ups everybody with exclusive tech, just like their amazeballs Romer-G switches in their keyboards (so good it just prompted Cherry to respond Posted Image ).

OP, take note. I'm not just recommending the G502 as a pointing device because it looks pretty and places the buttons well.

View PostLuscious Dan, on 20 May 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:

It's definitely a bit of luck of the draw no matter which brand you go for, I've had some lackluster Logitech products in the past (keyboard worked long after the keys labels were rubbed off, and at one point I had an endless string of mouse replacements via warranty) even though many other people have had good luck with them. If you have a local shop with a liberal extended warranty exchange policy, it can be worth it on a gaming mouse you expect to use heavily.

QC is, by definition, an exercise in the Law of Large Numbers. You WILL get dud products from companies, sometimes even a lot if you hit a bad production run. I once had to RMA Crucial Ballstix DDR2 sticks THREE TIMES because they put out a bad batch of the things (kudos to Newegg for being stellar through the whole process).

Razers QC is just really, really, really, really bad :/ Not only that, their general build quality tends to be lackluster on a lot of things. I abandoned the company, once and for all, after breaking three Carcharias headsets in three months, and they broke because of bad materials and design, not a "bad batch". Yes, their headsets are worse than their other products, but it's a noteworthy point that Razer is willing to sell crap lines of products that break after a week - Logitech is not. There is no "we care about this, but sucks to be you if you got suckered into this" - they design everything well, even if it's physically impossible for their QC to be perfect. Amazon reviews tend to reflect this, too, iirc. Logitech products often have half a star or so over their Razer counterparts across every product line, save maybe keyboards (edit: reviewing again, it's more like 0.1-0.2 stars, but the margin holds, and these products have large review samples - even the G910 edges out all Blackwidow Chromas). So for me Razer loses on two fronts: their general QC seems lower, and they only seem to care about you if you get lucky enough to buy the "right" product from them. Their hard efforts at having an Apple-like cachet doesn't make up for that for me.

Edited by Catamount, 20 May 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#24 marepinta

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSpokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

My sweetie is searching for a new mouse specifically for MWO. He has loved his Logitech G5 but when we upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 six months back, he never got the settings right. Sadly, he stopped MWO because he just didn't want to mess with what to do next.

What operating system are you guys running on? I ask because he has been a long-time Logitech fan and is struggling with the idea of switching to another mouse, but has a "feeling" that the Logitech setpoint software is his problem. We have upgraded Setpoint, run as Administrator, played without Setpoint, etc. His mouse button settings no longer translate.

Maybe I should go buy him both the Naga and the G502 and do some kind of comparison .......

#25 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:55 AM

The newer Logitech mice uses different software, not Setpoint. Also consider how he holds a mouse, hand-size, etc.

What issues was he having with the G5?

Anyhow, getting him both so he can test both side by side would certainly be nice!! The next question on the Naga, the Plain Naga with 12 side buttons or the Naga Hex model with 6 buttons? :)

#26 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:31 AM

I can't recommend a Logitech g600 & Logitech g13 enough... Joystick support is "finicky" as best (most would describe it as downright garbage), but filling both hands with 45 buttons that after adding different profiles that can be easily clicked over to adds up to over a 130 buttons total. Course I still have 3 blank buttons on my g13 that I've never found a need to assign of the 45 (maybe windshield wipers just to fill a slot)... But it definitely helps with the immersion of the feel of having 2 controllers to drive your mech. All directional buttons dedicated to just Left thumb frees up the rest of the hand, thumbstick (that console controllers have made second nature), a full stop click, & a scripted full reverse single click button. Had to take JumpJets off the stick cause I found that i accidentally hit it and put it under my resting pinky position, though.

It still baffles me that people play this game using a keyboard and 3-7 button mice... The Logitech Gaming software is also super nice. Controls mouse, game pad, keyboard, headphones all from the same UI while also having very nice scripting options (like creating a reverse button or lowering the DPI when advance zoom is activated, I still haven't found an acceptable way to turn TAG into a Toggle unfortunately.)

#27 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:25 PM

My combo right now is Logitech G510 Keyboard and Logitech G602 wireless mouse. Razer Death Adder Chroma as backup.

#28 zaathul

Rookie

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:36 PM

I recently grabbed a Steel Series Sensei mouse. It is symmetrical/ambi (7 button + wheel) and works OK a bit less money than the G502. Happy with it so far.

#29 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:40 PM

I use a Cougar 700K and 700M keyboard/mouse set. The mouse is adjustable to fit various hand lengths, and has a button for dropping or raising mouse DPI temporarily if more precision is required. Compared to other adjustable shape mice that I've found for gaming (like the R.A.T. 7 and the R.A.T. 9), the mouse frame is very sturdy and does not flex. Programmable keyboard buttons is also a plus. Got that gauss rifle that you want to fire just right? Program a macro on any key to make it hold and fire after a delay!

#30 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:15 AM

Might as well discuss what our favorite colors are.

Provided you get one with a reasonably accurate sensor, it all boils down to personal preference.

#31 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:07 AM

I just pulled the trigger on the G502, figured it was time to upgrade my perixx MX2000II. Its a laser mouse, and when I first got it seemed very nice.... but I m thinking the G502 will be much better then this one. Should be here Tuesday.... update when it gets here.

#32 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:09 AM

View PostCatamount, on 17 May 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

If you want a similar number of buttons, the G502 is the mouse to get (even a used 502 is better than any other general purpose mouse is,  new). If wireless is a must, and your budget large,  get the G900. If you randomly need 600 buttons for games other than MWO and want a more MMO-oriented rather than shooter-oriented mouse,  then I'm not the guy to ask,  Razer Naga maybe?

+1. Graduated from Razer Mamba to G502. Never going back.

#33 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:39 PM

G502 just got here today.... taking it for a spin, so far, so good Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users