Recommended Modules For A Streak Boat?

16 replies to this topic

#1 MobMessenjah

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:48 PM

So, I just mastered my Champion Shadow Cat. I've been running it as a streak cat primarily, since it is a VERY fun build to play. Love it for hunting down light mechs.

I'm just wondering, now that I have two module slots, what would be best to put in. I would love to decrease the time it takes to lock on to a target primarily. Not too worried about radar dep, since I have ECM installed.

Just need some good modules for a sneaky, close range boat that requires a lock. :P

#2 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:01 PM

View PostMobMessenjah, on 20 May 2016 - 07:48 PM, said:

So, I just mastered my Champion Shadow Cat. I've been running it as a streak cat primarily, since it is a VERY fun build to play. Love it for hunting down light mechs.

I'm just wondering, now that I have two module slots, what would be best to put in. I would love to decrease the time it takes to lock on to a target primarily. Not too worried about radar dep, since I have ECM installed.

Just need some good modules for a sneaky, close range boat that requires a lock. Posted Image

Target Decay and Seismic.

#3 MobMessenjah

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:54 PM

Seismic is something I think would be useful, I just don't find myself standing still that often in a Shadow Cat or any light. That 180m range limit also makes it a little bit useless. If I am within 180m away from an enemy.... I'm too close for streaks since they can be jammed by any enemy with ecm. Also, at that range, if there is a larger group of mechs waiting for me, I'm likely already dead.

Most people actually seem to hate advanced zoom, but I actually use it to spot enemies that are out of range and to help locate adequate cover so that I can shield myself from their view. For example, if a mech blends into a building and spot some kind of movement but target them to confirm it is indeed something walking around. I can both call out a location and tell my team what kind of mech it is. I also use it to spot adequate cover locations around them,so that I can plot a course to get behind enemy lines and pick off lights and other stragglers.

Target decay, I feel is more of something an LRM boat may prefer to use. Once they leave my line of site, I'm usually sprinting to a new vantage point, to avoid giving them a direct chance at reacting to my next attack. This could be useful against lights.

Air strike/artillery modules, try to make the shot more accurate.... but it takes too long for the projectile to drop to be effective if it isn't spread out. Not useful unless the enemy is standing around for 10 seconds or longer with smoke on top of them. If that is the case, it's probably better not to use an air strike at all... just flank and kill them normally.

Hill club... meh. That is why we have jump jets.

Target info gathering.... I assume this is just decreasing the time it takes us to acquire data about what target is and what vitals to hit. Can I confirm that it does or does not lessen time to missile lock a target?

What about 360 target retention? Once in a while, I end up with a couple of lights trying to flank me. Would this retain missile lock however? I assume not. If it is not, it wouldn't be all that useful. Would like to confirm this as well.

#4 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:38 AM

Lost sight of a target? Unsure what is around a corner?

Seismic is king for anything short range and a streakboat, that be short range IMO. 250M with Adv Seismic don't forget. It gives a massive advantage. I use it all the time in my Streak Crow to great effect. You just know which way to go etc. Some maps it's not as useful but the majority of the time I would rate it highly.

2 Weapon, 1 Mech and 1 Weap/Mech.

I would be:

Cooldown / Range
Seismic / 360 Deg (so you can lock while twist/JJ-ing away.

Normally I would say a coolshot but as you have JJs and are more manoeuvrable, you can get away easier than a SCrow. The locks are not worthwhile if they go around a corner, because streaks won't magically go around a corner etc.

#5 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:01 AM

You say you don't stand still much but sometimes it is important to switch your ecm to counter, stay still and set a trap.

If you like to pounce, seismic is indispensible.

If you need to know which direction your enemies are moving on the other side of a structure, seismic will tell you.

#6 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:04 AM

Streak Cooldown and Range, Target Decay, and either Seismic or Shock Absorbance.

Edited by Appogee, 21 May 2016 - 03:05 AM.

#7 Kyria Clearwater

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:43 PM

Seismic is useful on maps with overhead cover, where uav or just looking may miss a target.

#8 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:23 PM

There are few modules more universally useful than seismic. In QP, where you are less likely to face enemies *expecting* you to have seismic, you know if they are *not* by lack of detection and then if they are near...

It is one of the few modules that contibutes both offensively and defensively.

#9 Diddi Doedel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:39 PM

Weapon slots should definately use one slot for Range extensions of your streaks.
As for the 2 slots on mech modules, I'd choose amoung the following 3:
- advanced sensor range - the earlier your get your lock, the harder they can escape,
- 360 target retension - you can twist and just and never lose your lock
- advanced target decay - they may run back behind that cover, but your lock isn't broken and your streaks will follow a LOT longer !

Edited by Diddi Doedel, 22 May 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#10 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:46 AM

View PostDiddi Doedel, on 22 May 2016 - 10:39 PM, said:

Weapon slots should definately use one slot for Range extensions of your streaks.
- advanced sensor range - the earlier your get your lock, the harder they can escape,
- advanced target decay - they may run back behind that cover, but your lock isn't broken and your streaks will follow a LOT longer !

My experience with streaks is that they tend to take the shortest path between you and your target. In other words you can't "hook" them around a corner or over a hill like lrms which makes Target Decay not quite as effective to me. Of the ones you mentioned, seismic and adv sensor range are good. If you can squeeze them onto your build, also pack CAP and a TC to speed up locks/ cut through ecm. Both range and cooldown weapon modules, especially if all your streaks are the same size.

#11 Diddi Doedel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:23 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 23 May 2016 - 01:46 AM, said:

My experience with streaks is that they tend to take the shortest path between you and your target. In other words you can't "hook" them around a corner or over a hill like lrms which makes Target Decay not quite as effective to me. Of the ones you mentioned, seismic and adv sensor range are good. If you can squeeze them onto your build, also pack CAP and a TC to speed up locks/ cut through ecm. Both range and cooldown weapon modules, especially if all your streaks are the same size.

Oh, I have seen flying streaks follow the targeted enemy around the corner, flying nice curves while doing so.
TAG is also nice... to counter too many close-ranged enemy ECM....

#12 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:53 AM

View PostDiddi Doedel, on 23 May 2016 - 03:23 AM, said:

Oh, I have seen flying streaks follow the targeted enemy around the corner, flying nice curves while doing so.
TAG is also nice... to counter too many close-ranged enemy ECM....

They can arc a little but they will not avoid obstacles to get to you so if you make it to cover you a generally safe, unlike lrms which generally fire up in a arc (differs from mech to mech in the degree of arc) and then zero in on your target.

Edited by MovinTarget, 23 May 2016 - 03:54 AM.

#13 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:56 AM

View PostDiddi Doedel, on 22 May 2016 - 10:39 PM, said:

Those module choices are, a waste.

Stock mech sensor range is more than adequate.
SSRM have 360m, your mech sensor range is double that. You don't need it extended another 25%, it's a wasted module.

Same with Adv decay, SSRM will take fastest route. They will fly into buildings. Once a target has gone to a point you'd need target decay - you don't want to be firing. Too rare it would be the missiles are already in the air. Better off putting a more effective module on there again/

#14 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:37 AM

Advance Target Decay, 360 Target Retention, these 2 synergise greatly, allowing you to run past the enemy and still guarantee a hit while the enemy can't shoot back at you. It also helps with pesky close range Lights.

#15 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:02 AM

View PostWitchdoctor1, on 22 May 2016 - 08:45 PM, said:

For a SSRM, 360 Target Retention is a great idea. Removes the need to reselect a target that broke your LoS so instead of waiting for it to come back in view, spam R and then wait for lock, you just wait for lock.

You don't need to spam R, If your lock breaks your targeting system will lock on the last mech you targeted by itself as soon as that target get into view again.

360 is nice for brawler, but streaker still need a bit of facetime to get the missile lock, so the benefit of streaks + 360 isn't that great.

Edited by LOADED, 24 May 2016 - 03:04 AM.

#16 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:10 AM

sell your shadow cat and buy adder, it is 100 % better on everything and uses less tons

#17 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:28 AM

View PostIL MECHWARRIOR, on 24 May 2016 - 03:10 AM, said:

sell your shadow cat and buy adder, it is 100 % better on everything and uses less tons

I'd take an adder over a shadowcat every day all day, but...

..Jumpjets
..ECM
..High mounted ballistics
..25% armor difference
..MASC

Different Mechs, different weightclasses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users