Flamers Questions

7 replies to this topic

#1 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:21 AM

Hey

Recently I've spotted some posts where it's claimed that flamers are potent now.So I have questions:
1) Are they really useful to take?Afterall,I didn't noticed peoples using them in game...
2) What minimum numbers of flamers are required to make them work?
3) Is the range of clan's flamer affected by Targeting Computers?

#2 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:33 AM

I am not quite the expect on this matter but...

1) yes, They can easily change the tide of a fight... thing is though it's only useful at close quarters... very closes quarters. Most matches it's hard to get into a brawl at under 90 meters and maintain it.

2) Seems to be 2, most builds I've seen that use them usually cap out at 2. However 1 can be annoying.

3) I do not believe so. Targeting computers are picky but I could be wrong.

#3 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:44 AM

1) yes they are. But only in a brawl deck, because you have to close the distance. So it's not easy to use them in solo queue, but they work great in group and comp, assuming you have the right deck.

2) I'd say 4 for a fast enough heat build up. 2 is ok on small mechs where you can't do more without losing too much firepower (for example I have a 5 SPLas + 2 flamers Arctic Cheatah working pretty well).

3) I'm not sure but I don't think so.

PS : if you want to convince yourself flamers can work, watch this drop by a friend of mine (starts at 7m30s)(and disregard the crazy overlay, he was testing). Basically he overheats his opponent and then carefully headshot them.

#4 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:03 AM

Thanks guys,looks like flamers are really nice to have.

#5 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, who thought that flamers finally could be useful? Seems they are very effective in what they do and great in duels of what I've heard. They could still be better, like giving half heat to your mech etc.

#6 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

Actually, flamers have been nerfed recently, I don't take em as much as I used to.

There is no minimum amount to work. As it is since more flamers raise heat faster, and they all have the same cool down, more gets things done faster. But they're still an opening move and a later in the combat utility item. If you've a brawling build with a few tonnes and a few energy slots, they'll make a good small pulse replacement, otherwise I'd suggest leaving em. And this from someone who ran six flamer lights.

A for the TC thing... I've never checked, never needed extra range on flamers.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 23 May 2016 - 04:16 PM.

#7 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:18 PM

View Postepikt, on 23 May 2016 - 02:44 AM, said:

PS : if you want to convince yourself flamers can work, watch this drop by a friend of mine (starts at 7m30s)(and disregard the crazy overlay, he was testing). Basically he overheats his opponent and then carefully headshot them.

Prime example of why I dislike the exponential heat gain on flamers. It makes it so that you get exponentially more utility out of flamers the more you equip. If you have one flamer you're going to end up needing a lot more time on target and therefore will reach the point where you overheat faster than them firing the flamer well before they reach that heat cap. A ceiling to the the amount they can raise a enemy's heat capacity is enough to make flamers an anti-alpha tool without making them capable of being a stun-lock weapon. Their heat per time on target and heat to user should be a flat value, and if they're going to stop increasing heat at a certain threshold then they should start applying machine-gun like damage slightly before said threshold. No weapon should be doing more harm to you than the enemy. Ever.

Of course the major reason he was able to use flamers at all there was that he had 3 tons and 6 hard points to throw away and was able to brawl isolated targets. That is the -one- situation in which the current flamer can be passable.

It's just floors me that PGI refuses to drop the exponential heat crap. I mean, read some of this thread.
http://mwomercs.com/...t/page__st__260
It's just an obvious, obvious mechanics failure to everybody and their dog but PGI. I mean, the whole heat system's a joke but... THIS!

If you indelibly bored go into one of the test maps and see how long it takes you to kill an Atlas with a flamer. Aim for the cockpit, unless you like pain.

Edited by no one, 23 May 2016 - 07:19 PM.

#8 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:48 PM

Well,I had yesterday an occasion to use 2xFlamer on my Kodiak,but seen no visible results on a 2 or 3x ERLL Shadowhawk.
And I can confirm without any doubts - TC does not increase range of flamers;well,at least max range shown on GUI wasn't affected.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users