61 replies to this topic

#1 Davis Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:44 AM

So I just want to assure you, dear readers, that this is in no way meant to be a serious build and is just me pursuing my dream of an LRM 'rainbow'.

SPIRIT BEAR

LRMs, with a NARC, probe, and more than enough ammo. It's a stupid build, but with an LRM60 alpha and LRM range + target decay modules, this thing can make it rain.

Again, let me assure you, this wasn't meant to be serious. But that said, your opinions?

[EDIT] this is honestly pure laziness combined with some free time at work. There was no thought put into this, mock it as you'd like Posted Image

[EDIT]

SPIRIT BEAR (TC4 is a placeholder for MASC)

Edited by Davis Carlyle, 29 May 2016 - 11:03 AM.

#2 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

Targeting computers don't reduce lockon time. They decrease the time it takes for you to get a damage "paperdoll".

#3 Davis Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:06 PM

My mistake, removal of the targeting comp and an additional chunk of ammo added.

#4 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

... what the heck...

STOP... STOP! Stop. Don't do that. Add another few weapons, like a cannon and a couple more lasers or something. You'll be dead or the game will be over by the time you use all of that ammo.

#5 Davis Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:16 PM

View PostSnowbluff, on 25 May 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

... what the heck...

STOP... STOP! Stop. Don't do that. Add another few weapons, like a cannon and a couple more lasers or something. You'll be dead or the game will be over by the time you use all of that ammo.

That's 69 full salvos ;) Imagine the hate!

#6 Vizeroy

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

That build looks like a lot of fun.
Maybe i'm missing it but you seem to be missing a cAP there, might wanna trade a ton of ammo on that one.

I would definately want to try this build.

#7 Davis Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:24 PM

View PostVizeroy, on 25 May 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

That build looks like a lot of fun.
Maybe i'm missing it but you seem to be missing a cAP there, might wanna trade a ton of ammo on that one.

I would definately want to try this build.

cAP is sitting in the head slot. ;)

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:35 PM

I feel it has too much ammo. Also, never been a fan of the lrm 20s, even with artemis. A counter build if you will. Huh, and that stilll leaves room to upgrade to an XL 365. Not too shabby a mech.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 25 May 2016 - 12:38 PM.

#9 Davis Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:56 PM

View PostLeone, on 25 May 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

I feel it has too much ammo. Also, never been a fan of the lrm 20s, even with artemis. A counter build if you will. Huh, and that stilll leaves room to upgrade to an XL 365. Not too shabby a mech.

~Leone.

I like it, the additional weaponry definitely makes it more versatile, but one note on the launchers that heralds back to my original mention of a missile rainbow, is that I don't believe the Kodiak has enough tubes in it's torsos to launch anywhere near a full salvo at once. So with the LRM20s, despite that the damage is typically spread out more than with a smaller launcher, because of the lack of tubes the missiles are closer together and damage is more focused. Of course this could also play against it in that it's easier to move out of the way, but hey, this is for fun. I was actually considering moving a bit of tonnage and ammo around to swap the medium laser with an ERPPC, but I'm uncomfortable about the heat balance. Finally your mention of swapping in an xl engine for the speed is definitely worth considering, I'd lose probably around 4 tons of ammo at most

I'll put together both of our builds this evening and test them out for kicks.

#10 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

View PostDavis Carlyle, on 25 May 2016 - 11:44 AM, said:

So I just want to assure you, dear readers, that this is in no way meant to be a serious build and is just me pursuing my dream of an LRM 'rainbow'.

SPIRIT BEAR

LRMs, with a NARC, probe, and more than enough ammo. It's a stupid build, but with an LRM60 alpha and LRM range + target decay modules, this thing can make it rain.

Again, let me assure you, this wasn't meant to be serious. But that said, your opinions?

[EDIT] this is honestly pure laziness combined with some free time at work. There was no thought put into this, mock it as you'd like Posted Image

Remove the Er med and TAG as well as reduce ammo to 17 tons pull 3 points of armor off each leg and slap on 2 clan lrg pulse lasers.

Here is my thinking on why.

I have a Highlander IIc with a similar loadout 2 lrg pulse 3x artemis LRM20 15 tons ammo CAP and a TAG. It performs well when we actually want an LRM platform.

My observations: with 15 tons of ammo I almost never deplete my ammo in a quick play match and when I do the match is generaly decided already and my twin large pulse lasers are plenty of firepower to either put up a convincing last stand or if we are winning finish off crippled enemy mechs. The large pulse lasers come in handy for finishing off crippled mechs because you can target specific locations on weakened mechs and the clan large pulse has some nice range allowing you to engage within a wider area with some pinpoint accuracy.

When I do use this mech it's either for some brief change in pace in the solo queue or as part of a fire team in group play. I do highly recomend the practice of LRM fire teams when using LRMs in groups play. I prefer one bigger mech with some large launchers paired with a smaller more agile LRM platform ( assault + medium) It's far to easy to to evade a single LRM platform so you use a technique I call " reverse bird doging" with the medium flushing the targets into a cover possition that is exposed to the larger mech's missile volley direction. This keeps the target heavily suppressed and if done well catching a huge volley of LRMs in the back.

Pick your targets well because you will be using two of your mechs to elliminate one of them. So dakka assaults like Direwolf or KDK-3 Kingcrabs and Atlas brawlers are priority.Secondary targets (or primary option depending on circumstances ) are NARCed or TAGed targets and any supressed ECM carriers.

#11 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:31 PM

You'd be better off with 3 x LRM-15 instead of 2 x 20 + 1 x 10 in the side torso. The spread on the LRM-20 is so bad that an LRM-15 literally does better damage per volley in addition to having a faster cycle time.

My stats:

C-LRM 15: 41% == 6 damage per volley (40% of 15)
C-LRM 20: 31% == 6 damage per volley with wider spread (30% of 20)
C-LRM 15 + Artemis: 44% == 6.6 damage per volley with tighter spread but more tons/crits

Personally I just run 4 x LRM-15 and ditch the Artemis. I don't feel like the extra 0.6 damage per volley is with the extra ton and extra slot. I'd rather turn that ton/slot into more ammo.

#12 Steve Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:50 PM

With that much ammo u could kill the enemy team twice but there is one problem: a f.ucking locust could easily kill you. xD

#13 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

Yep, the first light that gets a fix on your position will gut you like a trout.

#14 Antares102

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:44 PM

Thumbs up... Endosteel but no XL.
What else could I say... better nothing..
SB with LRM... yeah.. right.

Edited by Antares102, 25 May 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#15 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

Sadly when piloting a mech with lrms, the hate usually comes from your own team in solo cue more so than the enemy.

#16 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:41 PM

Stupid build >>> http://mwo.smurfy-ne...82813b166ee1cf8

Sad build but not stupid >>> http://mwo.smurfy-ne...80c8483b3b6f174

A build i could try and like >>> http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e524d6d1fa7b469

Just miss JJ for proper use of ppc also maybe replace ERPPCs by LPLs

#17 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:06 PM

The Mad Cat does that build better at 87 kph and plenty of ammo for a 15 minute drop. LRMs just suck though so no need to bother.

#18 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:25 PM

Three Clan ALRM15s is enough to chainfire pretty much continually, or 4 ALRM10s for even tighter groupings.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...27320ba8d378bb0

This oughta go a few rounds of endlessly streaming WHOOSHWHOOSHWHOOSH.

Alternatively, traditional Atlas-speed version with the 3x15.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c23e263acf16861

Or, just to be half the 'Mech the -3 can be:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...01da14cf87e2e8c

#19 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

Wow. An ammo explosion might blow up half the map.

Seriously though, what a terrible waste of an assault mech.

#20 Snuggles Time

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:48 PM

You are bad and should feel bad. Why would you do this on a 100 ton mech

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users