Bad

#42 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:58 AM

View PostAetes Nakatomi, on 28 May 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

Although you do get great raw damage you lose the ability to place it where you want. I enjoy playing with my LRM mechs and I do massive damage with them. But I am always conscious of the fact that although my damage may have been less I would have likely got more kills or created opportunity for more kills with my direct fire brawl mechs by being able to place my damage on specific components.
I get the same damage and kills on either type. Don't notice much difference in raw numbers. And I usually carry about 40 points of damage worth of direct fire weapons on my lrm mechs too so can do both. In the end my targets end up just as dead so I don't care much how they get that way.

#43 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 28 May 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

The people who are constantly downing lrms always forget that the damage they are capable of doing far greater damage than comparable direct fire weapons. For example, if you devote the same amount of tonnage to a lrm 15 and ammo as you do an UAC 10, you have the potential of putting out a far greater amount of posible damage. The little you lose to spread and ams still allows you to put out more damage per ton. Even with spread, lrm 60 is going. To hurt when it lands. As with any weapon, you have to know how to use it for best effect.

LRMs are sustained fire weapons - they're no good against targets that are constantly flitting from cover to cover.

Thus, launchers that are more precise and cycle faster are better than heavier, slower, more inaccurate launchers.

4xALRM10 is far better than 4xALRM15 in most scenarios. LRM20 is pretty awful.

#44 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:04 PM

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 28 May 2016 - 09:58 AM, said:

I get the same damage and kills on either type. Don't notice much difference in raw numbers. And I usually carry about 40 points of damage worth of direct fire weapons on my lrm mechs too so can do both. In the end my targets end up just as dead so I don't care much how they get that way.

I guess both of us play similar with Lurm Mechs. I never fully boat LRMs and tend to think of them as a secondary weapon system used to soften up targets as I move in to use my direct fire weapons. But as I said above I tend to find if I switch those LRMs for SRMs or leave the missile hardpoints empty to take heavier ballistics and/or energy I feel that I do better.

#45 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

View PostCaptain Luffy, on 25 May 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

Sadly when piloting a mech with lrms, the hate usually comes from your own team in solo cue more so than the enemy.

The enemy is too busy laughing that you wasted a Kodiak/Altas/high ton useful mech by putting LRMs on it. EZ Win

#46 Davis Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:33 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 28 May 2016 - 12:09 PM, said:

The enemy is too busy laughing that you wasted a Kodiak/Altas/high ton useful mech by putting LRMs on it. EZ Win

My current 'Bear is running 4xCLRM10, 2xCLPL, MASC, Artemis, CAP, XL400 engine, and plenty of armor/ammo. I played around 10 games yesterday with it, treating it as a midrange combatant, and on average had the highest match score, dmg, and between 2-5 kills. The key is to remember that the LRMs have no minimum range, and at mid range they do actually track extremely well. I didn't spend so much time hanging back, as I did in the brunt of the fighting. Four lrm10s can rip away armor pretty darn quick, and the lasers for that pinpoint followup work just how I'd want them.

[EDIT] MASC on a LRM boat bear is hilarious, it's worth losing the extra ammo tonnage.

Edited by Davis Carlyle, 29 May 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#47 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:43 AM

View PostYosharian, on 28 May 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

LRMs are sustained fire weapons - they're no good against targets that are constantly flitting from cover to cover.

Thus, launchers that are more precise and cycle faster are better than heavier, slower, more inaccurate launchers.

4xALRM10 is far better than 4xALRM15 in most scenarios. LRM20 is pretty awful.
The smaller lrm launchers are sustained fire weapons, yes. If you can hold locks long enough, that is. The 20s take up too much space and leave too little room for essential direct fire weapons. The 15s with cooldown module however are great at putting out alot of damage in a short lock window. Say I have 5 seconds to lock and fire, I can fire basically 4 weapons. The 15s will drop 60 points of damage before ams etc. I'd rather land 40 points of damage after ams, etc than 25 points from firing 4 10s. Basically think of the 15s as howitzers rather than missile launchers. 15s are like carrying an artillery piece rather than rocket launchers like the smaller ones. Honestly every weapon in game save IS autocannons and ppc have spread. Missiles have reliable pre programmed spread, while lasers have random spread that relies more on the movement or lack thereof of the target. With the smaller launchers, more missiles hit center torso, but those missiles do less damage overall. Say 6 of 10 hit center torso with lrm 10. That's 6 points in the kill zone. Say 8 of 15 hits the center torso with a 15, and it seems more like 10 of 15 without ams so this example is being really nice to the lrm 10s. That's 2 more points of damage to the kill zone and more hitting the arms and side torso. I'll take the greater spread if I'm doing more damage to my target area. Now, say I'm using 4 of them. At 14 tons excluding ammo, I'm doing 32 damage to the center torso. That's better than any direct fire weapon out there in raw damage to one component. Even if you cut that to 6 missiles hitting the center torso that still beats a gauss or UAC 20 per salvo.

All in all, if you use the bigger launchers more like an artillery strike, you can do incredible damage per salvo. That's why the lrm are ineffective crowd never have gotten everyone to stop using them. Some of us have figured out that they are damned effective weapons and when paired with direct fire weapons can make for a really bad day for the opposition. As with any weapon system in game, there are drawbacks. But, I'm more afraid of a lrm 60 kodiak who has 4 mpls than a quad UAC kodiak.

#48 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:51 AM

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 29 May 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

The smaller lrm launchers are sustained fire weapons, yes. If you can hold locks long enough, that is. The 20s take up too much space and leave too little room for essential direct fire weapons. The 15s with cooldown module however are great at putting out alot of damage in a short lock window. Say I have 5 seconds to lock and fire, I can fire basically 4 weapons. The 15s will drop 60 points of damage before ams etc. I'd rather land 40 points of damage after ams, etc than 25 points from firing 4 10s. Basically think of the 15s as howitzers rather than missile launchers. 15s are like carrying an artillery piece rather than rocket launchers like the smaller ones. Honestly every weapon in game save IS autocannons and ppc have spread. Missiles have reliable pre programmed spread, while lasers have random spread that relies more on the movement or lack thereof of the target. With the smaller launchers, more missiles hit center torso, but those missiles do less damage overall. Say 6 of 10 hit center torso with lrm 10. That's 6 points in the kill zone. Say 8 of 15 hits the center torso with a 15, and it seems more like 10 of 15 without ams so this example is being really nice to the lrm 10s. That's 2 more points of damage to the kill zone and more hitting the arms and side torso. I'll take the greater spread if I'm doing more damage to my target area. Now, say I'm using 4 of them. At 14 tons excluding ammo, I'm doing 32 damage to the center torso. That's better than any direct fire weapon out there in raw damage to one component. Even if you cut that to 6 missiles hitting the center torso that still beats a gauss or UAC 20 per salvo.

All in all, if you use the bigger launchers more like an artillery strike, you can do incredible damage per salvo. That's why the lrm are ineffective crowd never have gotten everyone to stop using them. Some of us have figured out that they are damned effective weapons and when paired with direct fire weapons can make for a really bad day for the opposition. As with any weapon system in game, there are drawbacks. But, I'm more afraid of a lrm 60 kodiak who has 4 mpls than a quad UAC kodiak.

Sorry but you don't know what you're talking about.

#49 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

View PostYosharian, on 29 May 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

Sorry but you don't know what you're talking about.

Maybe you should take the time to counter my arguments and I might make the time of day to consider your position. I've been using lrm mechs since beta, I've got a pretty good idea of how they work. Granted, I only run a few models with them now but it's not because they are ineffective, used properly. It's more that the mechs I'm using don't support lrm use.

#50 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

4 years later people still believe lrms are not a bad weapon, smh. They should be viable but they arent, figure it out.

#51 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

View Postjaxjace, on 29 May 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

4 years later people still believe lrms are not a bad weapon, smh. They should be viable but they arent, figure it out.

Match last night. Tier 2 Lrm 50, 5 mpls warhawk. 860 damage, 4 killls, 3kmdd. I'd say that they are a viable weapon. Just cause some of you can't figure it out doesn't mean the rest of us cant.

Edited by Malachy Karrde, 29 May 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#52 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostDavis Carlyle, on 25 May 2016 - 11:44 AM, said:

So I just want to assure you, dear readers, that this is in no way meant to be a serious build and is just me pursuing my dream of an LRM 'rainbow'.

SPIRIT BEAR

LRMs, with a NARC, probe, and more than enough ammo. It's a stupid build, but with an LRM60 alpha and LRM range + target decay modules, this thing can make it rain.

Again, let me assure you, this wasn't meant to be serious. But that said, your opinions?

[EDIT] this is honestly pure laziness combined with some free time at work. There was no thought put into this, mock it as you'd like Posted Image

[EDIT]

SPIRIT BEAR (TC4 is a placeholder for MASC)

I would drop down to only 3 x LRM15.

4 is overkill.

Then add a ballistic weapon.

#53 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 29 May 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

Match last night. Tier 2 Lrm 50, 5 mpls warhawk. 860 damage, 4 killls, 3kmdd. I'd say that they are a viable weapon. Just cause some of you can't figure it out doesn't mean the rest of us cant.

lots of players have had excellent games while using bad robots or weapons systems. in your case I can pretty much guarantee that the folks you killed were tier 4 kiddies who didn't know what they were doing.

the rest of us pretty much have figured them out. they do spread damage, tell you they're about to hit you, and have more hard counters than any other robot in the game. they're not useless but they're only good if the enemy is bad -- even average players can counter LRMs to the point where they're barely a factor.

I'm an OK player and I get killed by LRMs like ... maybe once every two months?

#54 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:36 PM

I have put up 1000 damage games with a Locust 1V, single Large Pulse Laser, Tier 1. Doesn't mean the Locust 1V is good. Hell, I've seen Urbanmechs put up numbers like yours, doesn't mean the Urbie is actually good. Usually just means the stars aligned and a good pilot was able to make a bad mech perform amazing.

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 29 May 2016 - 09:39 PM.

#55 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:27 PM

View Postjaxjace, on 29 May 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

Underhive Man!

#56 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:34 PM

I love running an LRM WHK so I will probably give the SB a try with LRMs at some point. Don't listen to the haters, play what you want in quick play. I have a great W/L and KDR in my WHK-B with LRMs in QP.

A note on builds, for some reason, everyone seems to be putting the tag in the right arm and a weapon in the left arm. It should be reversed. That way the tag is on the same side as the LRMs so when you peek from that side you can tag and fire your LRMs, plus if your left torso gets taken out you still have the weapon in your right arm.

I would probably do something like this:

https://mwo.smurfy-n...a8161b9b9d60886

Or possibly run it with no tag and dual LPL and lots of heatsinks instead of a ballistic weapon.

#57 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:12 AM

cool story bro, that doesnt make lrms good.

#58 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

View Postjaxjace, on 30 May 2016 - 11:12 AM, said:

cool story bro, that doesnt make lrms good.
It does when that's the average match with that mech. And to the guy who said I was beating up on tier 4 players, one of those kills was a tier 1 player who posts alot here on the forums.

#59 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:27 PM

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 30 May 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

It does when that's the average match with that mech. And to the guy who said I was beating up on tier 4 players, one of those kills was a tier 1 player who posts alot here on the forums.

oh for sure man

#60 Davis Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:44 AM

Lighten up people! There have been LRM boats in every nearly (if not every) random match I've ever played in through the quick match queue. Some of them don't do that well (typically the bots that stand in one spot like terribly tracking turrets, noticeable by how they fire lasers or other weapons regardless of range, and only move backwards to maintain distance). BUT I've also seen many good lrm players, that move, support the team, and follow instructions on who to bombard. LRMs are not terrible weapons; they have good range, good damage at a sustainable heat ratio, and they provide a psychological distraction that can cause even the best of p[layers to slip up. If you play an lrm boat like a stick, don't move, and make no effort to attain your own locks and support skirmishes, then sure you're bad. But lrm boats as mechs are not bad, and they do fill a useful role, even the big ones. An lrm60 assault that can swing back behind cover at a moments notice, or relocate faster than a catapult when needed is not to be underestimated. I use MASC in bursts to run between cover and set up behind the enemy team. Sixty lrms (and some times 2 cLPL) to a rear torso is deadly no matter what you're driving, and I have the armor to tank hits if they turn around fast enough to catch me, but by then I'm usually back behind something again.

Edited by Davis Carlyle, 31 May 2016 - 09:47 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users