33 replies to this topic

#21 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:13 PM

If you destroy a building it should kick up enough dust to obscure vision for like a minute. This would allow unobserved movement around the area. That might be kind of cool.

#22 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts
  • LocationInside a straightjacket

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

Yeah good point. I would really like to see it in the game now that we've talked about it.

#23 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:47 PM

It would open up new additions to game modes. That's all I care about with buildings we can destroy.

#24 Ryllen Kriel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 754 posts
  • LocationBetween the last bottle and the next.

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:39 PM

Collapsing buildings would be fun, but only after they add terrified civilians and enemy infantry for my mechs to step on!

#25 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:43 PM

Always thought consumable infantry you attach to a building the enemy can destroy. Bases in assault come to mind. Center points of a map etc. Would make city fighting interesting.

#26 Shiney

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 683 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:20 AM

Just yes.

You can knock over trees *yawn*, knocking down buildings is well in line with a 'tactical simulator' in that you can use tactics to remove cover from enemy hiding as well as make new firing lines. The problem I see is that the ideas have been floating around since the start and nothing has happened... aka unlikely to happen unfortunately, though I can hope.

#27 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:31 AM

View PostShiney, on 31 May 2016 - 03:20 AM, said:

Just yes.

You can knock over trees *yawn*, knocking down buildings is well in line with a 'tactical simulator' in that you can use tactics to remove cover from enemy hiding as well as make new firing lines. The problem I see is that the ideas have been floating around since the start and nothing has happened... aka unlikely to happen unfortunately, though I can hope.

You just have to yell loud enough, someone is bound to hear you eventually.

Edited by Delta 62, 31 May 2016 - 03:31 AM.

#28 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:01 AM

Two things in re this topic:

One: Face reality, this aint happening. If the programing that we have allows (requires?) the terrain we walk on to be so indestructible that little pebbles or tree branches can stop a 100 ton mech moving at 60kph cold (as opposed to being broken or crushed), then what would make you think that some minor or even major tweek to the game would allow a giant building to be destructible over a tiny rock? I guess what I am trying to say is that if they can add such destructible features, I would prefer that they add it to the aspects of the map that we already interact with by necessity rather than those that might just be cool.

As to what would be cool:
I don't think exploding features are the way to go as much as merely interactive features.

To wit: The skinny little land bridges on canyons: these should fail and collapse if mechs over a given tonnage walk on them. Ideally, anything underneath such a collapse should be damaged. Trees and buildings, should catch fire and smoke/smoulder when exposed to prolonged laser or flamer fire. Those critter carapaces on bog: mechs of a certain size should be able to smash through them. The hanging cargo in Crimson and River City dock areas: we should be able to make them drop with some well placed shots; ideally if something is underneath the falling cargo that something should take damage. Structure and bridges in the caldera on Terra: should be able to collapse it (something did enough damage to trash the bridges that are already broken right?). Water: water should affect movement. Etc.
Yes exploding holding tanks and other stuff would be cool too.

#29 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:09 AM

There will be a level of destructibility on the next update to assault (where they are putting the turrets back in). Hopefully this is a start for more environmental immersion. But I'm not holding my breath.

Meanwhile - tournament! e-sports! commentators! streaming! and all the other bullsh*t that teenagers seem to care about. I mean, not fund the game, but care about.

#30 zephoidb

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:40 AM

If a bunch of coders could mod destructible buildings into BF2, a game with awful mod tools and no support for that type of physics, then PGI can.

#31 Admiral_Korean_Jesus

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:08 AM

I want to be able to run through a building and come out the other side like the freaking Kool Aid man. Though destructible objects must be super hard on hardware and net code wait..... your telling me Mech Assault did this in 2002 on the Potato Box?

#32 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:44 AM

View PostMikato Soul, on 31 May 2016 - 06:08 AM, said:

I want to be able to run through a building and come out the other side like the freaking Kool Aid man. Though destructible objects must be super hard on hardware and net code wait..... your telling me Mech Assault did this in 2002 on the Potato Box?

I think it needs to be hard coded into the engine, otherwise would take ye.... wait, you're telling me its already in the engine?

[https://en.wikipedia...ote-Physics-15]

Edited by SmoothCriminal, 31 May 2016 - 06:45 AM.

#33 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:07 AM

View PostSmoothCriminal, on 31 May 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

I think it needs to be hard coded into the engine, otherwise would take ye.... wait, you're telling me its already in the engine?

[https://en.wikipedia...ote-Physics-15]

for realz?

#34 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:28 AM

View PostMikato Soul, on 31 May 2016 - 06:08 AM, said:

Ya. It really did. Standing on one getting vaporized was pretty awesome.

If Solaris is coming out, they should make those maps the experiment for buildings we can destroy.

Edited by GAGONMYlOCK, 31 May 2016 - 10:29 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users