Future Of Mwo

153 replies to this topic

#1 JayceWolf

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:29 AM

guys......... guys..... here it comes again... ready? ready?

MWO
http://steamcharts.com/app/342200

Planetside 2
http://steamcharts.com/app/218230

Dota 2 (I hate using this chart because ppl cries about how it is irrelevant)... but it's still f2p
http://steamcharts.com/app/570

Alright now for the arguments:

1. "But A LOT of people doesn't use the clients on steam, so the numbers is inaccurate!".

- Yes, it doesn't shows everyone... but are you going to tell me that before the world of "steam clients". MWO had over 40k of active players? unless someone pull a magic number out of their a-hole and confirmed it with Russ Bullock, then yeah. But as far as I know, this guy did some math... last year and it still seems "fantastical".

- Math guy= http://mwomercs.com/...warrior-online/

- In conclusion, with the current data of 2k (steam clients) active players and I'll give it 5k (off-steam clients) as a "generously guessed number" for those die-hard believers out there even though they themselves have no effing clue.

- this makes 7k players active at all time.... you compare this with other F2P games out there... and it will looks like a joke. (and this is the generous "guesstimate" on top of the steam 2k actives). Again, nobody has any solid proofs of the "off-steam" clients numbers.

PLEASE! I beg you! if you have the numbers then post it here! so I can hang onto my hopes just like you!

2. (one of my favorite quote from these old farts gamer) "Yawwns, I've been playing this for 3 years and it is doing pretty well for a doomed game"

- Dear grandpa, it is called Chemo therapy.... the reason it's been "barely surviving" is because grannies like you and other "trailer park boys" threw millions of dollars at PGI. (just so you know... millions of $ = the same gross revenue a small 7/11 makes). In a gaming industry? again, it's a joke.

- It kept going because it is barely surviving on the blood supply from a handful of die-hard fans that clings onto their "wishful thinking" mentality.

- You can view this as a "positive" since PGI still has a revenue sucking on their "die-hard" fans. But when your wives and family asks you "wtf, did you spend $2000 on a ******* video game?"... LOL... I don't have to go further.

3. "All these whiners and crybabies will just leave and our MWO game will continues on without these toxic players"

- You are absolutely right, the community will become a utopia for die-hard fans and return to the "cult-like" state it was before MWO.

- Yes, I will be gone, many will too... But that is quite ok for everyone else here.
And for that "everyone else", I am talking about maybe less than 2000 active players at that point.

- It is quite an honorable feeling I must say.... to be the last generation to play such gem.

- I wouldn't mind going down with it either, but my rational senses tells me that a few thousands bucks of my hard earned money should go towards other things... not a video game.

WHY THE RANT ???

In all honesty, I love Mechwrriors, it was my favorite childhood game.
but for me to see how production companies continuously destroying it just makes me sad.
And to see all the die-hard fans clinging on and fighting back on the forums about how it "WILL SURVIVE" ! just makes me even sadder.

(look at the truth, the only people that replies to these posts are the same people that played MWO for a long time and invested way too much time/money into it)

therefore, when someone smack them with this.. they immediately freaks the eff out ! and start a witch burning mob.

and there's only a handful of these loyalists.

if you go ask a new player? they will tell you "meh it was an ok game, but it feels like it is dying" And this is the same statements from many people that I tried to get into MWO.

You guys can see me as an enemy with your cult-mentality... but I honestly don't care, I am only saying things that I've seen as a gamer of this game and it's community.

FYI: I've been playing this since 2013 and recently came back to see the good news.....
I even spend a dime for the MC to buy the classic mechs (timberwolf, maddog etc.)

IN MY OWN OPINION:

I think Mechwarrior is like a Cancer Patient going through Chemo Therapy.

Every year pass, the patient "seems" to be getting better... but they still have Cancer.... and still going through Chemo.

Eventually, if the patient survive... they won't likely be as strong or active as they once were in their youth.

additional info:

(for a general idea of the people behind MWO other than Russ Bullock)
this is what glassdoor.com has to say about the company

- Please have some common sense to look pass the 2-3 positive reviews in the front page. Like any restaurants reviews that you look at, where realistic reviews are usually buried under the "overly-glorified" front page reviews.

https://www.glassdoo...ews-E144886.htm

Thanks for reading.

Edited by JayceWolf, 29 May 2016 - 10:24 AM.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:32 AM

Posted Image

#3 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:34 AM

Look at the bright side, without PGI there'd be no MW game. Also, HBS' BT uses PGI's assets (Mechs 3D models) which are excellent! PGI also gave us Alex.

#4 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

Who are you again? You have only eight posts in four years. Clearly a subject matter expert.

#5 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:38 AM

Why do folks put so much effort into trying to sheep people into jumping on the hate PGI / MWO bandwagon?

There's likely not one player who can not name one reprehensible thing about PGI / MWO but even knowing that most (I did say most) generally find the core game enjoyable.

It's like people need to cow others into being as miserable as they are.

Odd social requirement...

Edited by DaZur, 29 May 2016 - 12:32 PM.

#6 JayceWolf

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 29 May 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

Look at the bright side, without PGI there'd be no MW game. Also, HBS' BT uses PGI's assets (Mechs 3D models) which are excellent! PGI also gave us Alex.

I am trying really hard to look at the bright side (I even want to start a clan that pays their members to play)
I am still clinging onto hopes too.....
I just wished it would deliver like SC2 after all the years of nothing after SC1.....

I am thankful that there is at least a Mechwarrior game out there. But that itch that just keep telling me "come on, it could be SOOO GOOD, Mecharrior is not a BAD video game concept at all !"

View PostSpheroid, on 29 May 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

Who are you again? You have only eight posts in four years. Clearly a subject matter expert.

yes yes... I know, the cult-mentality... I am just a nobody, please go back to your cult-meeting before you get too fired up on this post.

View PostDaZur, on 29 May 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

Why do folks put so much effort into trying to sheep people into jump on hate PGI / MWO bandwagon?

There likely not one player who can name one reprehensible thing about PGI / MWO but even knowing that most (I did say most) generally find the core game enjoyable.

It's like people need to cow others into being as miserable as they are.

Odd social requirement...

If you read what I said, then you understand that you are "freaking the eff out" right now just because someone post something not to your liking right?

and why are there so many people posting this as a "sheep herding" thing?
well, the question answered it self. "many people"

Edited by JayceWolf, 29 May 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#7 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:44 AM

View PostJayceWolf, on 29 May 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

I am thankful that there is at least a Mechwarrior game out there. But that itch that just keep telling me "come on, it could be SOOO GOOD, Mecharrior is not a BAD video game concept at all !"

It's not, but PGI is not the one to give us something amazing.
Just something
Something minimally viable

They've done that, and Shooty Stompy Robots is a nice game, but to call it a BattleTech game is a farce.

Of course, my largest gripe is the balance, and the pace of which it is done. We were said to get "Aggressive Weapons Balance" a few years ago now, yet it has never come. PGI doesn't do iterative very well, and with the move to monthly patches, we likely never will.

But, we've still got Shooty Stompy Robots and a hopeless goal to become "Esports"

Can PGI really Esports?

#8 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:44 AM

I tried to read this rant. I really did. But the comic sans and large font... oh god. Why?

#9 ChaoticUrlond

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMythical Land of Potatoes

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:47 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 29 May 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

Fun Fact Microsoft would just make another Mech Assault Game, or another Mechwarrior game thats properly done.

#10 JayceWolf

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 29 May 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

I tried to read this rant. I really did. But the comic sans and large font... oh god. Why?

It's for the older gamers ... some of them told me to write it bigger because they can't see it.

I am sorry it hurt your eyes.

#11 ChaoticUrlond

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMythical Land of Potatoes

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 29 May 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

Just something

They've done that, and Shooty Stompy Robots is a nice game, but to call it a BattleTech game is a farce.

Of course, my largest gripe is the balance, and the pace of which it is done. We were said to get "Aggressive Weapons Balance" a few years ago now, yet it has never come. PGI doesn't do iterative very well, and with the move to monthly patches, we likely never will.

But, we've still got Shooty Stompy Robots and a hopeless goal to become "Esports"

Can PGI really Esports?

The you have to call on the Devs and or Russ promises in order for them to remember. They're just farming the players for as much money as they can right now, by releasing new Mechs. Instead of fixing the problems they're like oh hey lets have the Night Gyr. Sure I pre-ordered it but it wont fix the problems this game is having already.

#12 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

In our future I see lots and lots of mechpacks. Yo dawg, we herd u liek mechpacks so we put moar mechs in yo mechpacks so u can splurge while u splurge.

Also a few more map reworks that are either not better than the original or worse than the original.

#13 JayceWolf

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 29 May 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

Just something

Can PGI really Esports?

I have the same thought and the part where it is just a "shooty stompy" robot game always gets to me...

when I launches "mechwarrior 4 vengence" on my pc I think "this game is sooo old.. but it is so much more in depth" damn it.

#14 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:51 AM

Holy crap way too much bold and big fonts and... ugh... I gave up reading it.

Try again next time.

#15 JayceWolf

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:58 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 29 May 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

Holy crap way too much bold and big fonts and... ugh... I gave up reading it.

Try again next time.

no worries, thanks for trying. It is probably nothing you would like to read anyways.

#16 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:59 AM

I've been around since this was all academic, back when there was a neat teaser trailer of an Atlas facing off against a Warhammer in a huge urban landscape. Since I'd been playing Battletech since the late '80s, and had finally moved to an area where online gaming was possible due to a great ISP instead of a phone company that had 'fast and reliable' coverage, I was elated to see an online BT or MW game coming.

Since then, I've watched as the stack of horrible ideas held together by a growing mountain of bandaids has flopped along, bouncing from one horribly implemented idea to another. "It was ALL IGP's fault!" Yeah, not so much. They've been gone a long damn time and we still have the same basic, unpolished, repetitive, stack of bandaids we had while they were here.

We have one game mode in QP. Skirmish. The others are simply Skirmish with neat places to stand. Murderball up and turn left faster, because mode means nothing...

Then we get CW... Or FW.... Or whatever they rebrand it as next to make folks believe they're 'working' on it. Six maps that are all essentially the same, all sprinkled together on a star map that means even less. Phase three has all the depth of a shadow on a cloudy day, but hey, Buy a Mechpack!

Russ and Paul have been the worst thing to happen to the MW IP in a long damn time. The only aspect PGI got right is the customization, and the Art department has been solid the entire time. Everything else has been a stack of bandaids. Bandaids and lies.

So, yeah. I'm bitter at this point. But I believe that after you've been lied to for a few years, you have license to be that way.

#17 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:00 AM

0/10

BECAUSE GIANT COMIC SANS IN BOLD

#18 JayceWolf

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:00 AM

I fixed the fonts size for those who gripes about it.

If you don't want to read it, then don't.

If you don't have any input other than "I can't read different font/sizes" then just don't reply in general.

Thanks!

#19 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:02 AM

The Future of MWO is more or less the same as the present. The playerbase willing to pay for Mechs obviously is big enough to keep things running as they are running. Monthly new mech, bi-monthly(?) new or overhauled map. Some balancing changes here and there. I think the World Championship will show whether this game has potential in the competitive sector or not.

I don't expect it to ever catch millions of players. That would be unrealistic even if a "good dev" would work on it.

Judging at least from the active Forum community we hve a bigportion of players thatplay because Battletech and Mechwarrior and very few because it is an alternative to all the multiplayer FPS out there that are all the same anyways (whchi sad because in my view it really IS a thinking man's shooter at least in comparison to what else is there. But yeah it could have even more depth).

So not many People find their way here that aren't die hard BT/MW fans. And out of the BT/MW crowd a lot of players would rather have a single player game. Maybe it's lack of marketing or maybe it's just that people rather have twitch shooters.

Given those things and the shaky past it really is quite the accomplishment to still be running.

As far as wishful thnking goes: I think most here are realistic as to what MWO is and can be at this point. As BT/MW fans though they rather have at least something rather than nothing at all.

Edited by Jason Parker, 29 May 2016 - 10:24 AM.

#20 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

View PostJayceWolf, on 29 May 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

I am trying really hard to look at the bright side (I even want to start a clan that pays their members to play)
I am still clinging onto hopes too.....
I just wished it would deliver like SC2 after all the years of nothing after SC1.....

I know it's hard that that one girl you like didn't love you back after all of your effort and hopes. But you need to move on and stop stalking her FB, tweet, or something and saying bad things about her to your friends.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users