Next Round Of New Champions

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Which chassis would you like to see get Champions next? (c-bill available) (71 member(s) have cast votes)

ClanTech Lights

1. Kit Fox (17 votes [23.94%])

Percentage of vote: 23.94%

2. Adder (27 votes [38.03%])

Percentage of vote: 38.03%

3. Jenner IIC (21 votes [29.58%])

Percentage of vote: 29.58%

4. None of these (6 votes [8.45%])

Percentage of vote: 8.45%

IS Lights

1. Urbanmech (26 votes [36.62%])

Percentage of vote: 36.62%

2. Panther (9 votes [12.68%])

Percentage of vote: 12.68%

3. Wolfhound (30 votes [42.25%])

Percentage of vote: 42.25%

ClanTech Mediums

1. Ice Ferret (17 votes [23.94%])

Percentage of vote: 23.94%

2. Hunchback IIC (23 votes [32.39%])

Percentage of vote: 32.39%

3. Nova (26 votes [36.62%])

Percentage of vote: 36.62%

4. None of these (5 votes [7.04%])

Percentage of vote: 7.04%

IS Mediums (Crab is only one)

1. Yes please, gimme Crab Champ (60 votes [84.51%])

Percentage of vote: 84.51%

2. Nah, don't bother with Crab Champ (11 votes [15.49%])

Percentage of vote: 15.49%

Clan Tech Heavies

1. Mad Dog (15 votes [21.13%])

Percentage of vote: 21.13%

2. Hellbringer (28 votes [39.44%])

Percentage of vote: 39.44%

3. Summoner (16 votes [22.54%])

Percentage of vote: 22.54%

4. Orion IIC (9 votes [12.68%])

Percentage of vote: 12.68%

5. None of these (3 votes [4.23%])

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

IS Heavies

1. Grasshopper (34 votes [47.89%])

Percentage of vote: 47.89%

2. Black Knight (31 votes [43.66%])

Percentage of vote: 43.66%

3. None of these (6 votes [8.45%])

ClanTech Assaults

1. Gargoyle (18 votes [25.35%])

Percentage of vote: 25.35%

2. Highlander IIC (15 votes [21.13%])

Percentage of vote: 21.13%

3. Executioner (32 votes [45.07%])

Percentage of vote: 45.07%

IS Assaults

1. Zeus (25 votes [35.21%])

Percentage of vote: 35.21%

2. Mauler (41 votes [57.75%])

Percentage of vote: 57.75%

3. None of these (5 votes [7.04%])

Percentage of vote: 7.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

I tend to get curious, and today's topic of curiosity is the next round of Champions.

I put together the poll above with all the remaining chassis that are c-bill available, that also don't yet have a Champion introduced with a community-driven loadout. (ed: I just noticed I inexplicably omitted the Marauder and Warhammer. Too many votes now, I'm leaving them off.)

What chassis would you like to see made available in the next round of Trial mech voting?

It doesn't have to be perfectly distributed across all weight classes, of course. I just figured it would organize better that way. Posted Image

Go!

Edited by Virlutris, 30 May 2016 - 07:30 AM.

#2 Robinhood78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hauptmann
  • Hauptmann
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWestmont, IL USA

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:35 PM

Have to vote for one of each category or it give you an error.

Not bad choices. I was torn between what would actually be best and what would be fun to try out. Of course of Clan I just voted what I felt were the weakest or hardest to do well with. :D

#3 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:52 PM

View PostRobinhood78, on 29 May 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

Have to vote for one of each category or it give you an error.

Not bad choices. I was torn between what would actually be best and what would be fun to try out. Of course of Clan I just voted what I felt were the weakest or hardest to do well with. Posted Image

Yeah, I got a little stuck with that "optimal" vs. "interesting" contrast, myself. It's part of the conversation though :)

Also good point. on the voting selection. I added a "none of these" option for each section, just in case it's helpful.

Edited by Virlutris, 29 May 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#4 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:46 PM

I'm thinking that the oldest (longest time in-game) of each category will be the next done.

For instance, why would they do the JR7-IIC already, if there is no Adder or Kit Fox champ yet?

Looking forward to (hopefully) eventually seeing the thread requesting builds for some of these. ESPECIALLY the Wolfhound...

#5 StumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

As a new-ish player who owns none of these, I voted for the mechs I'd most like to pilot.

Edited by StumbleBee, 29 May 2016 - 03:29 PM.

#6 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

I really want both a Zeus hero and a Mauler one. Someone else had an idea for the Mauler hero, Bear-Hunter, with 2 ballictis each torso and one each arm with missile slots in the torsos too.

The Zeus hero should have its hardpoints 'mirrored' with the missile arm going left for once and the ballistic/energy arm on the right.

#7 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:31 PM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 29 May 2016 - 01:46 PM, said:

I'm thinking that the oldest (longest time in-game) of each category will be the next done.

For instance, why would they do the JR7-IIC already, if there is no Adder or Kit Fox champ yet?

Looking forward to (hopefully) eventually seeing the thread requesting builds for some of these. ESPECIALLY the Wolfhound...

Most of the recent Clanners they've selected have been from Waves 2 and 3 (ACH, MLX, SHC, EBJ, exception: WHK) Why wouldn't they pick a IIC? Honestly, I'd prefer age-ordered, but why not let folks speak up?

Except for this last round for the IS (and the MLX), it's had several popularity contest choices anyway. May as well bump it in a direction we like by giving the dev team some extra input Posted Image

Besides, all of the mega-pack mechs benefit from having a Mastery Bundle (better deal than a la carte), and the Champion's a key ingredient. Let's just do 'em anyway, and give folks better access to chassis purchases and nifty trial mechs in the process. There are still plenty left to do Posted Image

Edit: We should bear in mind that the devs have set the trial drop deck standard at 235. That means they'll need a combo of tonnage that adds up to 235 from the available options after they cycle 4 of the trial chassis out to accommodate the new additions. I think we can nudge them a bit in selecting some of them, even if they nudge back so the math works out.

Edited by Virlutris, 29 May 2016 - 06:35 PM.

#8 Robinhood78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Hauptmann
  • Hauptmann
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWestmont, IL USA

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:38 PM

I've given it some thought. The primary purpose of trial mechs is to give a new player something to use to showcase the weight class they have chosen. The secondary purpose is to give them something to take into CW. Since this second purpose never goes well no matter the mechs (I pre-date CW and had plenty of mechs and it still doesn't go well for me), I think the best option is to select mechs that are primarily fun to play.

We want a new player to have a great first impression. A brand new player isn't going to be effective anyway. Some people will more natural skill might pick the game up quickly, but I'd imagine the first match will be eye opening for all skill levels.

I think all trial mechs should be selected and then designed to make the mech fun in order to keep that new player around until there is enough cbills to make a smart purchase.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:45 AM

View PostRobinhood78, on 29 May 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

I've given it some thought. The primary purpose of trial mechs is to give a new player something to use to showcase the weight class they have chosen. The secondary purpose is to give them something to take into CW. Since this second purpose never goes well no matter the mechs (I pre-date CW and had plenty of mechs and it still doesn't go well for me), I think the best option is to select mechs that are primarily fun to play.

We want a new player to have a great first impression. A brand new player isn't going to be effective anyway. Some people will more natural skill might pick the game up quickly, but I'd imagine the first match will be eye opening for all skill levels.

I think all trial mechs should be selected and then designed to make the mech fun in order to keep that new player around until there is enough cbills to make a smart purchase.

agreed

I would like a bit of variety in Trial Mech load outs, the major issue I have with the current set of trial Mechs is there is little variety in terms of weapon load-outs, they are mostly meta builds, they may be great builds for competitive players but do not give new players a balanced introduction to MWO.

#10 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

I'd like the Jenner II, the Kit Fox, and the Hellbringer. The Jenner II also need an ECM slot. And I wish mt Stormcrow Prime had an ECM slot also.

I tried to vote and it had an "error" but I was about to see the results.

I still think a new player within his first 30 days should have a few "training mechs" he can buy really cheap for cash. He can't ever sell it and it can only be a light or medium but he can get one chassis for $5.00.

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 30 May 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#11 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:37 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 30 May 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

I'd like the Jenner II, the Kit Fox, and the Hellbringer. The Jenner II also need an ECM slot. And I wish mt Stormcrow Prime had an ECM slot also.

I tried to vote and it had an "error" but I was about to see the results.

I still think a new player within his first 30 days should have a few "training mechs" he can buy really cheap for cash. He can't ever sell it and it can only be a light or medium but he can get one chassis for $5.00.

The poll will bug-out and glitch if there's not a response for every question, as Robinhood noted above. If you answered them all, then I dunno. :(

#12 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:40 PM

The Hellbringer only has 3 variants. A Champion Mech would help flesh out that under represented chassis.

#13 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:32 AM

Kinda nice that I see the vote count here tick up by one or two every few days.

Granted, it's not as splashy as new mech speculation. However, it's important for new player experience on one end, and PGI's bottom line (with stuff like MC sales or Mastery Bundles) on the other.

Thanks for your votes, folks!

#14 Miles McQuiston

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:47 PM

Trials should be one variant of every chassis. It should be fully skill tree capable/unlocked with the proper weapons modules and mech modules equipped. We need more players and I would like to see them presented with a variety of competitive mechs when they start. Trials should be allowed for the first 8 months of play for each player and after which only available in FW to fill out decks. People will still buy mechs, mechbays, etc... etc.... but we need new players to have as enjoyable an experience from the start. Grinding cbills sucks, grinding experience points sucks, so give new players something that doesn't suck for at least a little while. This would serve two purposes. The first is likely a higher conversion rate from free players to paid players. Even in the event it did not drastically improve the conversion rate of players from free to paid it would bolster the numbers of player in FW by offering free players the opportunity to be competitive in FW without dedicating a lot of money to the game (they would also have 8 months of game experience under the belt).

I have been in this since the founder stage and I just want the game to keep getting better. In order for it to get better they need players both paying and not paying.

#15 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:12 PM

Why are champions even interesting?
In my eyes, their main purposes are being trial Mechs' buyable copies (for whatever reason one would like to see them in the shop) and being gifted for the larger events. And even there, the last ones IIRC gave only regular, no champion Mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users