135 replies to this topic

#81 Murphy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:37 AM

Monthly patches... 3-monthly road maps... 5 days between "hot" fix announcement and deployment... Russ being quiet lately... Bryan Eckman and Paul Innoue MIA ...

Feels like a sequel to Transverse is in the works.

Transverse 2: Vaporware Boogaloo

I just think that the Clans didn't need to be as overpowering as they were.

To me, the Clans could have invaded with Omnimechs, maybe some improved systems, and possibly some new weapons like an Ultra 10 or more reliable Ultras in general.

Despite that, things like the XL engines should have been the same as IS and the weapons could have largely stayed the same. No things like ERMLasers or ERSLasers, existing weapon damage values stayed the same, etc... A Clan MLaser would be no different than an IS MLaser, etc...

Point is, the IS weapons had stayed relatively the same for 100s of years. Clan weapons could have stayed roughly the same too.

Just the invention of the Omnimech (and a few small things here or there) could have been enough to sell them on their superiority. Completely making every weapon far superior to IS was just too much.

That's just my opinion anyway.

I met Sam Lewis at a convention in 1993, his explanation for the Clan invasion was a reconfiguring of the rules to speed up gameplay. Mechs could carry more weapons, handle more heat, weapons reached further, and in many cases were more accurate. However, mech were not any tougher from an armor or structure standpoint, and in many cases were more vulnerable to accumulated engine hits (XL Engines) or head shots (Clan ER PPC, Ultra AC/20, Gauss Rifles).

Main issue I have with the advent of the Clan invasion is that I can clearly tell in playing an opponent whether they learned the game with clan tech or without. When the stacked accuracy bonuses make terrain seem like a non-factor, players fail to use terrain to their advantage. It is a generalization, but I've seen it hold up very well in my experience.

#82 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,535 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:38 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 31 May 2016 - 08:09 AM, said:

I'm working on something in what little spare time I have, that I want to submit to CGL for a re-imagined BT univerise... Clan's are still there sort of, just reworked to be more inline with the SLDF, the 'clans' being more akin to unit Clans, as in everyone in that clan is a descendant of sorts to the original members of that unit... as for kit, little better than what the IS would have at the start of the invasion, but not ridiculous better... It's just re-tooling the equipment to make it more believable, as well as redoing mech weight classes....

I guess that works for 3025 fans, but honestly it was a missed opportunity to make better boogie man for the universe. Word of Blake was better at being a boogie man than Clans as far as their society went. Basically the only thing that made them scary was their tech, their society made them look impotent and stupid at times, I'd much rather it have been the reverse...or both.

The most interesting point of the Clans is honestly the War of Reaving (not all of it was good mind you, like Stone Lions.....) era where Clans were getting wiped out one after the other and had serious issues with more serious revolts of the lower castes, which is probably how it should've been since day one.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 31 May 2016 - 08:39 AM.

#83 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:39 AM

Oh, and /signed for Nova, I too want the Crusader. Preferably with missile hardpoints in the legs!

#84 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:43 AM

View PostMurphy7, on 31 May 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

I met Sam Lewis at a convention in 1993, his explanation for the Clan invasion was a reconfiguring of the rules to speed up gameplay. Mechs could carry more weapons, handle more heat, weapons reached further, and in many cases were more accurate. However, mech were not any tougher from an armor or structure standpoint, and in many cases were more vulnerable to accumulated engine hits (XL Engines) or head shots (Clan ER PPC, Ultra AC/20, Gauss Rifles).

Main issue I have with the advent of the Clan invasion is that I can clearly tell in playing an opponent whether they learned the game with clan tech or without. When the stacked accuracy bonuses make terrain seem like a non-factor, players fail to use terrain to their advantage. It is a generalization, but I've seen it hold up very well in my experience.

That's very interesting, thank you.

It still doesn't change my opinion on the whole Clans vs IS thing. I could understand it more if it was intended to be more of a Clan vs Clan thing, but it still seemed to burn everything that came before it.

Even if it could still be worked around on TT in some instances, it pretty much wrecked other versions of the universe (like MechWarrior). Then again, I'm sure TT was the only thing they concerned themselves with and not other media at the time.

#85 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

I don't disagree with you; I think the new tech hurt the way people played the game, which in turn hurt the game as a whole.

#86 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:32 AM

Asking for more mechs you say?

Posted Image

#87 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostUltimax, on 31 May 2016 - 09:32 AM, said:

Asking for more mechs you say?

Posted Image

Being realistic that they have to keep adding mechs to make money. Cause people would not pay for new game modes or features......so unless you just want to donate for nothing realize new mechs keep moving this game forward....Demanding new game modes or features with no way to fund them gets them no where.

Edited by CK16, 31 May 2016 - 09:44 AM.

#88 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

View PostCK16, on 31 May 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

Being realistic that they have to keep adding mechs to make money. Cause people would not pay for new game modes or features......so unless you just want to donate for nothing realize new mechs keep moving this game forward....Demanding new game modes or features with no way to fund them gets them no where.

Buying new mechs gets you new mechs, that's your content.

#89 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:23 AM

View PostUltimax, on 31 May 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

Buying new mechs gets you new mechs, that's your content.

No new mechs gets you no more game.

It's a bummer, but the only chance (no matter how slim) for new meaningful content is a steady stream of income.

I wouldn't count on that content, but I also know that an embargo on spending won't get us that content either. All it gets us is a shut down game.

So, it is either a slim chance or no chance. Bummer, but true.

#90 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,535 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:11 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 31 May 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

Or they could shift their model to rely on cosmetics rather than mechs, which is the real sad part, there are only so many mechs you can added before you just dilute the game like pokemon where you need tier based games to actually ever see or even sell older content (which is part of the problem). The other part of the problem is the cosmetics they do have don't really fit well or even appeal. A majority of the cockpit items are just silly or dumb and some are rather distracting.

Voice packs or bitchin betty, special pilot models, special geometry, HUD customization (maybe?), etc are what should've been focused on. Heck, even cheesy one liners over the comms on a kill instead of warhorns could've been done since they added the dialog stuff like in FW or the academy. Basically stuff we have been asking for (for a long while now) along side the mechs.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 31 May 2016 - 11:16 AM.

#91 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:14 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 31 May 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

No new mechs gets you no more game.

It's a bummer, but the only chance (no matter how slim) for new meaningful content is a steady stream of income.

I wouldn't count on that content, but I also know that an embargo on spending won't get us that content either. All it gets us is a shut down game.

There are plenty of games that have any significantly better monetization of various aspects of the game, and the more we simply beg for new mechs without first demanding improvements guarantees they do continue business as usual because from their perspective is working well.

Now I'm guilty myself, but I do try to limit what buy.

Edited by Ultimax, 31 May 2016 - 11:16 AM.

#92 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:48 AM

View PostRampage, on 30 May 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

I will buy the Black Lanner if it comes. I like speed and I like ECM. It is a Clan Cicada so it does fill a niche.

The Cicada would be a Top 5 worst mech in the game, if it weighed 55 tons.

#93 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:06 PM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 31 May 2016 - 11:48 AM, said:

The Cicada would be a Top 5 worst mech in the game, if it weighed 55 tons.

Plus we already have a clan Cicada coming, it's called the Viper.

#94 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,251 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

Playing Overwatch and Stellaris has made me fiend for new mechs less. You guys should try it.

#95 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:04 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 31 May 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

Playing Overwatch and Stellaris has made me fiend for new mechs less. You guys should try it.

Not overly impressed with Overwatch my self, it looks fun but doesn't look like it will hold my interest for very long.

Stellaris on the other hand looks interesting as I do enjoy empire building games.

Now, back at the topic at hand... Huntsman... Yeah... We need the Huntsman.

#96 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:12 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 31 May 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

I'm passing on Overwatch.

I did just finish Doom's single player (it's awesome), so if I play anything FPS multiplayer, it will probably be that. I heard it isn't quite as good as the single player experience, but the more I see stuff on it, the more I think I might enjoy it.

#97 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:29 AM

View PostCoralld, on 01 June 2016 - 05:04 AM, said:

Now, back at the topic at hand... Huntsman... Yeah... We need the Huntsman.

I guess they have been making the Black Lanner since it pretty much won the vote for the next most wanted medium so it's impossible for them to change course. But I'd like to be surprised.

#98 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:48 AM

But come on....2 very distinctive Jade Falcon Mechs back to back? I don't think it's the Black Lanner (and hope it's not!)

#99 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:53 AM

Hatchetman, Assassin, Dervish, Stinger, make it happen.

#100 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:53 AM

View PostCK16, on 01 June 2016 - 06:48 AM, said:

But come on....2 very distinctive Jade Falcon Mechs back to back? I don't think it's the Black Lanner (and hope it's not!)

Well they did do two Ghost Bear Mechs back to back...

Viper and Kodiak....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users