Things That Would Make Faction Play Better

77 replies to this topic

#1 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:41 PM

Ok going to offer up a few suggestions.

First allow multiple scout missions to engage at once instead of forcing a soft chokepoint. That is annoying to the extreme. If one force is fielding 3x the scouts they should have an advantage.

Second make a special mission to activate things like the long tom. It's a gigantic piece of field artillery. It needs to be placed setuo and defended. It should not be automatic and should have an option to be engaged.

Third additional game types for invasions. Targeting supply trains, destroying repair facilities, eliminating reinforcements, eliminating drop ships. The choices out there go on and on, and can advance significantly past the mill the orbital gun phase.

Just good for thought

#2 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:30 AM

Maps that don't suck would be a good start.

#3 Rattazustra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:02 AM

Game balance. Only when the game is balanced PVP is fun. To actually balance it we need a point system that is more complex than tonnage. It needs to take a lot more things into account. NOT pilot skill, though. That belongs solely to the players and should NEVER be balanced, because the game becomes meaningless if it is. Group queue already illustrates what a horrid idea balancing teamwork is.

Objectives that make sense. Anything that doesn't suggest to me that everyone who wages war in that world is somehow mentally underdeveloped. "Alright, so the enemy will try to shoot the generators, which we need to keep the doors closed. They can be shot from outside our base. They are defended by turrets, but those really don't do much, plus they come offline when the generator dies. All other guns in our base do not require generator power, though. Also we got these very important generators for the gun and after initial tests showed that the enemy has a tendendy to attack those we put them under some sheet metal covers. That sheet metal is super powerful and totally impregnable, but we decided to put a big window into it."
Give us objectives to attack that actually mean something, that have a purpose and when we eliminate them it should have an impact on the battlefield. Destroy an artillery control bunker to stop enemy artillery, destroy an auxiliary landing pad to increase the time reinforcements take to rejoin the fight and so on and so on. The options are endless. Especially when there is absolutely nothing in the game so far.

Make factions meaningful. Give each and every faction something unique. Something small but unique. Like give Steiner +5% armor, -10% accel/decel. Not necessarily this, but something along these lines. Also give each faction one ore a few mech variants that only they can field. You can own it and play it in quick play, but in faction play you can only do so if you belong to that particular faction. This would allow players to make a meaningful decision regarding their faction association and it would make pointless switching less attractive.

Make loyalty more than a joke. You fight for Steiner? You gain Steiner loyalty. You fight for Clans? You should lose Steiner loyalty. And yes, I know. You already do. But not really. You lose the points, but not the benefits. Why not the benefits as well? Faction farming makes the game less immersive, less reliable and politically unstable. It should not be "the smartest thing to do", but the odd thing out you only do when you really changed your mind and want to play the other side. Also there are numbers lower than zero. PGI should use them. Just because I have no loyalty with Steiner doesn't mean that House Steiner wont love me if I fight against them.

Make mercenaries unique. Right now mercs and loyalists are exactly the same. They earn differently coloured points that give slightly different benefits. How meaningless. Make them truly unique. Allow loyalist pilots to pilot specific faction mechs only they can use, but in return allow mercenaries to field any mechs they like including opforce mechs. If a merc owns a Timber, why should ne not use it for the glory of House Steiner?

Make lone wolfs both possible and unique. Some people don't want to be in a unit. Don't force them. Allow unaffiliated players to deploy with any group that wants to invite them. They couldn't drop on their own, because they don't have dropships, but if a merc unit or some loyalists take them along there would be no harm in it, right? Also make a queue that they can enter, from which group leaders can pick up people as needed. Give lone wolfs a unique stat that ranks how satisfied people they played with have been with their performance and at the end of a match have the group commander who invited them rank them anonymously down, neutral, or up. Think of it as a one man merc unit, without any of the attached elements.

Maps. Give us more maps, but most importantly give us better maps. The current maps are mostly junk. They are horribly designed and they make little sense. They give no options to neither attacker nor defender. There are no ways to flank an enemy, no means of deception, no places where a great ambush can be laid, but that can be circumvented by a smart opponent. On top of that we could also use "more of the same". Design maps in a modular fashion. Divide the board in a certain amount of pieces and then design a theme. Make 1-3 variations for each piece, then combine and recombine them over and over until we have not half a dozen different maps, but many dozens. It would also add a lot credibility and immersion if attacking a planet did not involve half a dozen ecosystems that don't fit onto the same world. Space wasteland cannot be on the same planet as redwood forest.

NPCs and background noise. Make the maps feel alive somehow, but most importantly make me feel BIG! Why even bother coding a huge mech game when everything is pretty much huge mech sized, thus rendering the mechs nothing but over armoured, arthritic knights with ineffective weapons? When I stomp through a city I want to see tiny infantry fighting beneath my feet. I want tiny tanks making puny attempts to stop me. When I am on a battlefield, I want to FEEL it. I want fighter jets and helicopters criss-crossing the skies.
The important thing about this is: All of this doesn't even have to affect me directly. It would be cool if it did, but it is not the most important part of it. It just needs to be there and provide immersion. The same goes for random artillery strikes that pound the earth, scar the ground and make it shake, while dirt and rocks rain from the skies.

Edited by Rattazustra, 06 June 2016 - 04:41 AM.

#4 S T I N G S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:41 AM

Also make it I dont have to hold a territory if it is a ghost drop there is no point to hold if nobody is attacking.

#5 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:56 AM

View PostBaulven, on 05 June 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

First allow multiple scout missions to engage at once instead of forcing a soft chokepoint. That is annoying to the extreme. If one force is fielding 3x the scouts they should have an advantage.

If I undestand you correctly, you want to give an advantage to the attackers if they are doing 3 scouting mission and the defender only one (so we're in a 12 vs 4 situation)? I agree that some sort of advantage could be introduced, but the risk is to unbalance the gamemode. Are ghost drops (or something similar) active in Scouting?

Second make a special mission to activate things like the long tom. It's a gigantic piece of field artillery. It needs to be placed setuo and defended. It should not be automatic and should have an option to be engaged.

The Long tom is orbital bombardment so the battle should be in space... But they could use a modified "HPG manifold" map with the orbital cannon and introduce a special mission there. Anyway I like your idea.

Third additional game types for invasions. Targeting supply trains, destroying repair facilities, eliminating reinforcements, eliminating drop ships. The choices out there go on and on, and can advance significantly past the mill the orbital gun phase.

I agree that faction warfare needs some more variety in the invasion mission. I would begin introducing new maps first.

A "simple" (ok, there are no "simple" thing in developing a game...) new game mode could be a "meeting engagement" mission. Map has some spawn points that need to be conquered by opposing forces. If you conquer a spawn point you can restart from there if you get killed. There are no dropship or similar respawn are quite fast and "near the action": This is to simulate an engagement of 48 vs 48 mechs done with only 12 vs 12 active players. The first side that get all the spawn points wins. There's a similar gamemode in the WW2 themed FPS Red Orchestra.

Also in scouting missions (4vs4 mode) there could be different objectives (e.g. getting within some building or structures for some seconds) or attacking a convoy to get its contents.

#6 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:59 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 06 June 2016 - 02:56 AM, said:

If I undestand you correctly, you want to give an advantage to the attackers if they are doing 3 scouting mission and the defender only one (so we're in a 12 vs 4 situation)? I agree that some sort of advantage could be introduced, but the risk is to unbalance the gamemode. Are ghost drops (or something similar) active in Scouting?

The Long tom is orbital bombardment so the battle should be in space... But they could use a modified "HPG manifold" map with the orbital cannon and introduce a special mission there. Anyway I like your idea.

I agree that faction warfare needs some more variety in the invasion mission. I would begin introducing new maps first.

A "simple" (ok, there are no "simple" thing in developing a game...) new game mode could be a "meeting engagement" mission. Map has some spawn points that need to be conquered by opposing forces. If you conquer a spawn point you can restart from there if you get killed. There are no dropship or similar respawn are quite fast and "near the action": This is to simulate an engagement of 48 vs 48 mechs done with only 12 vs 12 active players. The first side that get all the spawn points wins. There's a similar gamemode in the WW2 themed FPS Red Orchestra.

Also in scouting missions (4vs4 mode) there could be different objectives (e.g. getting within some building or structures for some seconds) or attacking a convoy to get its contents.

For the scouting it benefits both sides. Defending units can earn the bonuses as well through massed drops with the modified system. Granted right now long tom needs fixed but that is a separate issue that needs addressed since they horned the numbers.

From table too long toms were fielded artillery pieces with a range of 3-21 maps away. They could also be mounted on select mechs but it was pretty much the only weapon, had woeful amounts of ammo and terrible to hit statistics due to trying to use artillery in a fixed fire condition. They could be orbital the to their ridiculous range as well but it isn't a requirement. It was only 5 map sections to go from near space to the ground well within their short range.

#7 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:13 AM

Give each Houses/Clans player a small reward bonus for driving a Mech typical of that faction, and /or a small reward malus for bringing a Mech mostly used by an enemy faction.
By small, i mean something around 5 or 7% XP, LP and Cbills.

With the play-style differences brought by quirks, this could lead each faction to have its own favored strategy and team composition.
I'd like to see that sort of thing.

#8 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:29 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 06 June 2016 - 02:56 AM, said:

Minor correction. Long Tom isn't orbital. Its land based similar to the Schwere Gustav. If it was orbital you'd be looking at around 1,000 points of damage at the impact point reducing 10 outward every 30 meters. If you think LT is OP now, orbital is a game breaker.

http://www.sarna.net...Mobile_Long_Tom <- Sarna is your friend.

Over all though - keep the dialogue and hope going. I've been waiting about 3 years for this game to get better. Eventually, maybe it will.

Edited by rolly, 06 June 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#9 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:57 AM

Instead of a ghost drop, why not "Take out the Dropship before it takes off."

Make it an Overlord, start the clock at 10 minutes.

An Overlord is armed with the following:

x6 PPCs

x2 AC20s

x12 MLs

x3 LRM20s

x6 LLs

That's...pretty nasty.

#10 SteamCharts Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:35 AM

1. Turn over development to someone who actually knows what they're doing.

2. Go from there.

#11 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 06 June 2016 - 12:30 AM, said:

Maps that don't suck would be a good start.

What? You don't like two choke point chuck as your main game mode?

Two equal teams ... assuming no mistakes are made ... defender should win close to 100% of the time. Fun is to be had.(sarcasm)

#12 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:19 AM

The dull MOBA style maps they made for FP are the main reason I only play there when there are events.

Edited by Palor, 06 June 2016 - 09:19 AM.

#13 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:21 AM

The game will never be balanced and cannot be as long as players are allowed to chose different Mechs and then customize. Those are the two best features in the game yet they are also the reason why you cannot possibly balance the game.

The only way to truly balance the game is that there is one Mech and everyone has to use it just the way it comes. Poof, instant balance and no one ever plays the game again.

#14 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:34 AM

View PostSteamCharts Kerensky, on 06 June 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

2. Go from there.

^ this. So much this....

#15 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:04 PM

I've looked at what's here so far, and I'm not impressed. In fact, I'm going to excerpt a past post from myself here on what needs to be done to repair the current Faction Warfare Contract System. It was aimed at PGI at the time, and still much is, because they're the ones who need to adjust it. I am, however, adjusting a few variables in this blueprint and rewording it slightly in the quote below because of thoughts missed while I was aggravated before. Have a read...

View PostD V Devnull, modifying their original, on 26 April 2016 - 02:54 AM, said:

<<<snip>>>

If you REALLY want people to play FW/CW/FP (whatever the hell you're gonna call it) again, then you need to stop penalizing everyone so heavily. The following changes need to occur, and hail back to rather good parts of "CW, Beta 2"...
  • Reduce And Adjust "Loyalist Desertion Penalties"
    That "25% LP loss" is far too much, and has caused many (myself included) to not hook up with a House. Hell, I'm sure many could have put up with the rumored 100-Million loss before this piece-of-junk "Phase 3" came around. Instead for what exists now, make it a mix of LP and , preferably "15% LP loss, but only to what's been gained since last joining the Faction... and 35-Million ", because that amount would actually be tolerable while still incurring a hard-enough hit. (Heck, it would even steal away enough to keep someone from constructing at least one new Mech design they wanted to keep in their bays!) Your current hit levels are too extreme, and incur over-commitment of time where it may not be possible for some to do.
  • Create "Temporary Loyalist Contracting"
    Many players (unfortunately including myself, and likely someone else I know) in MWO do not have the ability to lock-in for the ultra-long haul, and your current system cuts off a massive amount of Content and Achievements for them. Not just because of Penalties, but because of time required to get anywhere, and the level of extra strain it would put on them to rotate through things as they absolutely need to be able to do. The contracting system in the "CW, Beta 2" phase of FW actually perfectly handled this without the usage of "Careers", but since I'm sure you won't get rid of Careers, here's another useful idea. For those needing Temporary Contracts, but wanting to hook up with a house, provide a "3-Month Temporary Loyalist Contract" to handle their needs. During this period, they would earn the base amount of LP that their Faction was willing to deliver for matches. Should they complete the Contract all the way to expiration, they would be out on their ear like a Merc without a Penalty, having to re-choose which Faction they wished to Contract with. However, if they try to 'Break Contract' early, then the "Desertion Penalties" from the above #1 section would apply, in order to catch them out for trying to run off. (As a plus to you, PGI, implementing this part will definitely remove the feeling of rejection any Casual Completionist in the Community is feeling right now. You did take away their ability to quote-unquote "Properly Complete" the game, after all, even though you don't think you did.)
  • Boost "True Loyalist" LP gains
    This is no joke, PGI, and is meant to balance for having #2 above. It also covers for those who went "True Loyalist", but have felt shorted since the change from "CW, Beta 2" into "FW, Phase 3". Give anyone who goes "True Loyalist" an 'extra 30% LP gain', even beyond what it is now with your current changes. Perhaps even give a 'extra 50% (Like 'Phase 2'!) LP gain', but I'll leave that up to you to decide, even though that would sweeten the pot further. This would provide "True Loyalist" folk a feeling of success and accomplishment like what there was with "CW, Beta 2", as they would do well over anyone else, and therefore maintains a proper curve as before.
  • Enable Full 'Clan vs. IS' Warfare
    Again, another serious matter. Any Clan should be able to help their fellow Clans, when choosing to fight against the Inner Sphere. Any Inner Sphere House should be able to help another Inner Sphere House, when choosing to fight against the Clans. It's rather simple, and shouldn't be much of a jump of logic to realize, some on both sides of the fence feel wrong squabbling amongst their own kind. (This goes double on the Liao/Davion/Marik side of the Inner Sphere. They should be allowed to help with attacking Clan planets. There should still be multiple venues for Attack/Defense, however.) Quit trying to force Faction Squabbling like that, and you'll have more people willing to play Faction Warfare. Right now, you're offending a fair chunk of your player base by not allowing 'Full-Side Teaming' in those situations.
  • Provide longer basic Mercenary Contracts
    So, here's another thing from "CW, Beta 2" that has been unnecessarily lost. Right now, Mercenaries are only getting a single, "7-day (+0%)" Contract option, and I'm sure they feel shorted. Provide them with longer Contract options, each of which has useful bonuses. Preferably something like "14-day (+10% RP)" and "28-day (+20% RP)" Contract options. Knowing the current penalties now for anyone breaking a Mercenary Contract, I would add a penalty of '5% RP for breaking a 14-day contract early', and '10% RP for breaking a 28-day contract early', as that would balance out these boosted options. As a fair note, these options would likely be perfectly in-line and balanced with those for the "Loyalist" folk, as they're set to scale with a player's chosen path.
  • Quit hurting your Community by over-catering to "Rabid Lore Junkie Zealots"
    Yes, seriously PGI, this one's rather extremely straightforward. When it comes to computer game design, one critical thing that games like MechWarrior 2&3 had in common was that they didn't over-cater to just one group of players. Those games were never "Pop Boutiques" and succeeded in attracting many players, but the Lore was used only as a guide in many places, and wasn't a forced rule all over the place. Now don't get me wrong here, I do like to have the Lore to read as well. But, where you went wrong is that you started trying to force it down people's throats, like a 10-Gallon Barrel Of Alcohol. (I was gonna say "5-Gallon Jug", but you really went off and beyond too far, PGI.) You do realize that only a small subset of people like that insanity, right? Allow people their free choice, using the above five sections, and only provide the Lore as an assistant that they can choose whether they follow at all. As someone in another thread mentioned, many personalities in Lore made their names through working all across the many Factions out there. Allow your players here in MWO to do the same, and ultimately have the ability to actually follow all the various paths that exist to this game. Only then will you find out who are the True MechWarriors.
  • Complete the list of Clans for this Time Period
    No, really PGI, I'm just not joking here. You're missing two Clans, and I've already confirmed it through the "BattleTech Wiki" over at "Sarna.net". This is probably one of the rare spots where I would actually support the "Lore Junkie" crowd in regard to matters. It's past time to insert them, the "Nova Cat" and "Steel Viper" Clan Factions. That would make the Faction Warfare content much easier to balance, as then the war would become the "True 6 Clans vs. 6 Inner Sphere Houses" which it was supposed to be. I think I remember seeing some people who were even saying they would go "True Loyalist" to those Clans, should they get introduced where they're currently missing in MWO. That's one freaking hefty claim coming from those people, and I'm sure you would get a lot of positive benefit from them if you actually listened. (I know I would feel invigorated by seeing the universe get a heck of a lot more populated.)
...and with all of those 7 things (the most important of anything springing to my mind) implemented, I'm actually certain your game would revive. Like, imagine MWO being a Phoenix Rising from the ashes, and becoming even more than it has ever been. Imagine having many players you've lost (myself included from Faction Warfare, even as critical as I can be about my reviews) returning to the game, and restoring the positive side of the Community beyond its' former glory. Imagine having Real Money, overloads of $$$, just dropping right into your hands and collective bank accounts. Imagine your community growing, and ultimately providing you with more people willing to pay to keep your company alive, and game development active and growing. For that matter, imagine Russ Bullock's words being laid to shame, and your game lasting far longer than just 7 years. Imagine it instead existing, living, and growing even 20 to 25 years from now. That would have been my wish as a MechWarrior from an older era, but you've got to have the common sense now to reform and pull out of the nose-dive that you've entered, PGI. Posted Image

<<<snip>>>

...and note I've left the link to compare to the original from before. No reason to not let people see the difference, right? ;)

BTW, I've realized something else that I hadn't thought about before... Here it is...
  • Don't Penalize Mercenaries so readily for Population before Contracting with a Faction
    Literally speaking, I've noticed how fast the ugly Contract Penalties kick in for choice of Contracts, an insanely tiny 1% width. There should be a 3% wide zone where there is No Penalty AND No Gain, instead of the 1% that it is right now. Inability to be mobile, even for a Mercenary, will repel players from touching Faction Warfare. You're literally killing the Mercenary Career with this right now, PGI. Trying to force people into investing into a Faction with draconian restrictions like these, acting like the "French Foreign Legion" in regard to all the Factions, is only harming MWO's further existence and WILL destroy the game.
  • Allow FreeLancers to take on Contracts and earn Rewards
    Contracting shouldn't be restricted to the Mercenary Career. Heck, there should probably be a reward chain for FreeLancers as well. Otherwise you're just leaving Solo players to feel totally rejected by a significant amount of the game's content. This is a simple fix to deal with, I think? All that would be needed is for FreeLancers to have "Solo Points" (SP) for their Reward Chain, and just simple 7-day Contracts for them. There's no need for Contract boosting here, but breaking one should cost 1500 SP, a fair four good games played if we assume a Solo player will earn 350 SP per game on average.
  • Allow any group to take a Solo Uncontracted FreeLancer/Mercenary on-board.
    Yeah, this one's just as it sounds. An absolute requirement that the Solo FreeLancer/Mercenary currently have No Active Contract in order to group for Faction Warfare with anyone they choose. Someone from a Faction however, either Contracted Loyalist, True Loyalist, or Contracted Mercenary, must initiate the group and send the invite request. During these played matches, SP/RP/LP can still be earned, but in a split manner. If you're pulled on-board by a Loyalist, either Contracted or True, then you get 15% LP with 75% SP/RP, and 10% of the points are lost in fees. If you're pulled on-board by a Contracted Mercenary, then you get either 90% RP if you're also a Mercenary with 10% being lost in fees, or 15% RP and 75% SP if you're a FreeLancer with the 10% fee cost being auto-paid. Basically, there's an auto-fee for not being Contracted yourself, in order to maintain a sense of balance towards (or against, depending on how you would word it) actually taking the initiative.
...and that puts me at 10 points on how PGI can fix Faction Warfare and Contracting. Geez, this rabbit hole just gets deeper and deeper, doesn't it? :blink:

Now, I've probably still missed something because I'm aggravated about something else right now that I need to go make another thread for, so I'm gonna call it here. I just hope that PGI will come around before it's too late :huh:

~Mr. D. V. "I'm probably forgetting something, but..." Devnull

#16 Tavious Grimm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 255 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:17 PM

2. Go from there.

There have been a some really good ideas thrown around here, but this one is the best one I've seen. Turn it over to another Dev team, I don't care if it's Activision or even bloody EA but someone who has considerably MORE experience at this sort of thing then PGI. They're only saving grace is their artwork, it's pretty damn good. Not the best, but it's sufficient for this game.

#17 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:07 PM

View PostTavious Grimm, on 06 June 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

There have been a some really good ideas thrown around here, but this one is the best one I've seen. Turn it over to another Dev team, I don't care if it's Activision or even bloody EA but someone who has considerably MORE experience at this sort of thing then PGI. They're only saving grace is their artwork, it's pretty damn good. Not the best, but it's sufficient for this game.

No one else wants it. The license languished in some Microsoft vault for years. MWLL was the only attempt by anyone to make a Mechwarrior games and the modders that made it did not even have authorization to use the IP license. They just had an unwritten agreement that they could not profit from the IP and Microsoft would ignore them. Once somebody actually was crazy enough to pay MIcrosoft so they could try to make a MW game to sell then MWLL was told to stop development.

There is no one chomping at the bit to get their hands on the rights to make a Mechwarrior game. IMO, if MWO dies then it will be years, if ever, that another company tries to produce another Mechwarrior game. There is the BattleTech turn based game coming but that is not going to satisfy anyone who grew up playing Mechwarrior real time action type games.

It is MWOnline or nothing. If people prefer nothing then there is nothing stopping them from just walking away now.

#18 Lehmund

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 219 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:12 AM

PGI has a small team and a limited budget. CW can be salvaged and made interesting with pretty small steps taken, which would involve significant work, but not unduly difficult:

1. Current invasion maps: A. Remove all gate and Omega generators. B: Give a way for defenders to shoot at attackers trying to get through the gate. C. Give the gates some massive direct HP and make sure it's impossible for attackers to pass through gates without blowing them up. Same with Omega but change the map so that Omega can't be shot at from outside the gates. D. Attackers need to destroy one or both gates to get in, then blow up Omega. With significant HP necessiting enough time, Defenders need to focus a lot and attackers need to strategize and fool the defenders to achieve objectives.

2. New Invasion maps: A. Choose some of the current large maps such as Forest or Polar Highlands / Alpine Peaks / Tournaline. B. Add conquest-style objectives in strategic locations and set them up like the planned Assault phase (ECM tower, defenses, Scanner tower) and make them capture points like Conquest. C. Teams fight for dominance a la Conquest until one team wins.

3. When you invade a sector in invasion you could be tasked with either Attacking/Def Omega, or do the Conquest mode Att / Def. That would be a start to vary things vs trying to balance things (which is nearly impossible to do).

#19 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:07 AM

Population: Have enough people playing FW to make it worth playing. On a side note, I haven't really seen any advertising for this game since PGI split with IGP. Maybe others have, but me? Not so much

Scouting: Two scouting campaigns running parallel give each team the opportunity to acquire Long Tom support. As it stands, once one team has Long Tom the other stops playing invasion, and the team with Long Tom doesn't stick around to ghost drop the planet into submission

Intelligent rewards: The Merc reward tiers get 2/3 the c-bills of loyalists. Getting paid more than your own troops is the definition of a Merc so...pay the man. Loyalist reward tiers need to offer faction-specific content, be it a 'sale' on faction-specific mechs, or free faction-specific cockpit items. By the way, 90-k GXP for those last two reward tiers is a joke. Nobody needs GXP when they reach that level unless they are outright mastering mechs before playing them.

Maps: Quick play works because the maps offer a wide range of engagement strategies. This allows players with Clan Tech to leverage their range advantage and mobility (which is about all the Clans have left). The FW maps have most range-at-contact at less than 400m, and time to closure measured in seconds. I'm apparently one of the few that thinks mech balance is actually fairly decent, not great, but decent. However, the maps currently play to the IS advantages and Clan weaknesses

Maps II: There is sufficient space on both sides of FW maps for Orbital gun emplacement (except maybe Emerald Taiga). Flipping the sides of these maps would be a simple way to increase the number of maps in FW. Boreal Vault, Sulphurous Rift, Grim Portico and possibly Hellbore Springs may need some adjustment to one side's spawn area, and Boreal perhaps some additional terrain features on that side of map, otherwise it is just a matter of relocating assets.

#20 Ihasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 843 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

2. Go from there.

Ding Ding Ding. Winner, winner.....

Look, it even fits under 140 characters!

Oh yeah, and forgot, remove long tom would be the smallest start, but a start. People hate that thing with every fiber of their being. Players would rather have their teeth pulled than deal with Mr. Tactical Nukular (sic) Weapon launched on stealth cruise missiles from infinitely re-loadable 12 tube launchers.

Edited by Ihasa, 07 June 2016 - 09:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users