#1 Ebins

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 95 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:33 AM

20 years ago, the battletech online universe was brought to vibrant life. Although there were previous games in the series (and good ones at that!), none really brought the universe to mass public attention like Mechwarrior 2. Well, I'm here to let you know that through the hard work of some few dedicated fans, it has been kept alive.

Old time vets came back together last night to play a few matches and relive the old glory of decades past. Here is a video of some of the action. *Note - the game was captured in the maximum resolution of the time - 1024x768. I opted to increase screen size on youtube, so it won't be picture sharp.

There has been some discussion concerning the restart of the TKZ (The Killing Zone) league if enough interest is raised. If it happens, I'll be restarting my old unit, The Templars. However, in deference to the current Merc unit run by Banditman, It will be called, "The Templars: Old Guard."

Regardless if you wish to visit the game that really started it all, including MWO, or you're from that era and want to relive some memories, visit mech2.org or stop by the chat room here.

Hope to see you there, Mechwarrior!

- Ebins aka WildFire

Edited by Ebins, 12 June 2016 - 12:35 AM.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:00 AM

Simply noting for those who view this thread that there were several different versions of MW2. That sure brought back memories though :) And those games did help make MPBT Solaris on AOL a boomtown until AOL changed their pricing strategies.

The Titanium version had textures Posted Image and to take advantage of graphic cards of the time.

MW2 Mercs made some other changes too.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 12 June 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#3 Ebins

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 95 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:53 AM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 12 June 2016 - 09:30 AM, said:

I am joining right up on Mech2.org. Can you send me a link as to how to get Netmech working? I would absolutely love to play with you guys some time.

Would be awesome to see you! The instructions can be found here: http://www.mech2.org...c.php?f=5&t=512

View PostTarl Cabot, on 12 June 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

Simply noting for those who view this thread that there were several different versions of MW2. That sure brought back memories though Posted Image And those games did help make MPBT Solaris on AOL a boomtown until AOL changed their pricing strategies.

The Titanium version had textures Posted Image and to take advantage of graphic cards of the time.

MW2 Mercs made some other changes too.

Thanks for posting that. I'm glad you went down memory lane too! :)

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

View PostEbins, on 12 June 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

Would be awesome to see you! The instructions can be found here: http://www.mech2.org...c.php?f=5&t=512

Thanks for posting that. I'm glad you went down memory lane too! Posted Image

And have 3 retro systems with said games on them. Both nephews enjoyed them when they were younger :)

#5 Flashband

Rookie

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

The TKZ reboot will go under the name of MechBattle and the website is currently being built. If you want to check out the alpha version of the site check it out here http://mechbattle.lazymuttgames.com

There still is a lot of work to do before anyone can start using it. But letting everyone see it now will help spark some interest.

I am also thinking of letting units use any version of Mechwarrior they want, as long as both sides agree to the version.

#6 Flashband

Rookie

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

Thanks, still working through the text and updating it to fit the new league. Wanted to get as much text from the TKZ site before it is lost.

Will update the legal/disclaimer info first.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:47 AM

Saw the video, it is pretty cool.

#8 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:58 PM

The easiest way to get Mercnet to work is to use MechVM. I tested it sometime last year with a couple others, and we had some glorious battles. You should try MechVM, as it saves you a lot of headaches typing commands in dosbox itself.

As for netmech, I am always down for that. Try asking some of the guys sitting in the mech2.org irc channel as well. Can maybe get some 2v2 or 3v3 going.

#9 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

My schedule is sometimes unpredictable, but so far i'm pretty free Sunday afternoon (I am on mountain time). I can probably jump on the lobby at around 2 pm mst (2000 utc) if that works for you. I'll see if I can bring a friend or two.

#10 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:26 AM

Cool. Hope more people join in too. We can try Mercnet even, if you got 1.05 or 1.06 installed.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:22 PM

never could get my system to run mech2. did get gbl to work in a win98 vm, but the controls are all glitchy.

#12 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:14 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 21 October 2016 - 01:22 PM, said:

never could get my system to run mech2. did get gbl to work in a win98 vm, but the controls are all glitchy.

You need the dos versions of Mech2. The Windows versions can otherwise be a pain to get working.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostSylonce, on 22 October 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

You need the dos versions of Mech2. The Windows versions can otherwise be a pain to get working.

i figured as much. unfortunately the only version i still have is the titanium trilogy. at some point i had the full glide version running, and running well. but i think i was still on windows 7 at the time.

#14 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:21 PM

Cool!

#15 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:01 PM

Will be in the lobby

#16 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:27 PM

No problem. Thanks for gaming. Posted Image I'll share the vids when the guys get them uploaded

Hope everything is ok on your end.

Edited by Sylonce, 23 October 2016 - 01:29 PM.

#17 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:40 PM

37 minutes of pure FFA madness

#18 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:20 PM

I actually have netmech installed on my computer and I want to try this out. Because as a kid in the 90s, I have always tried to find how I can play with other people but I've never figured out a way on how to do that. :(

Edited by Will9761, 25 October 2016 - 06:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users