Read Up Forumwarriors, You've Made Quite Some Noise (Hot-Fix Details)

105 replies to this topic

#1 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

EXPLAINING OUR APPROACH TO THE NEW MINI MAP

The addition of the Command Wheel in the June 21st patch required essential updates to the Mini Map and BattleGrid to support the new Commands. Part of the reason for the drastically zoomed out appearance of the new Mini Map was to help account for that array of new Commands, and how we wanted them to be displayed: when a player was calling for Help with the new Command Wheel we wanted that alert to be visible to all teammates on the Mini Map itself, without a reliance on the Compass or BattleGrid.

Beyond implementing support for these new Commands, we used this opportunity to fundamentally re-evaluate the Mini Map as a whole: what kind of information was conveyed to players through it, how that information was conveyed, why that information was available to begin with, and how all of this information could relate to InfoTech mechanics.

The Mini Map was thus re-designed with those considerations in mind. It became abundantly clear once the patch was live however that too much of the redesigned Mini Map was in anticipation for features not yet implemented.

WHAT WE ARE DOING NOW TO FIX THE NEW MINI MAP

We are scheduling a hot-fix this week (exact ETA pending) with the following changes:

• The Player Torso Orientation Cone and Leg Orientation arrow are being restored. This is critical information to have, but was removed to account for the full-scale representation of the Map.

• The Mini Map will now again rotate with your ‘Mech, as it did with the previous Mini Map. It will no longer be locked in position, as it was with the initial June 21st patch.

• Rather than displaying the Map in its entirety, the Mini Map will now instead display a 2000m^2 area around your ‘Mech. This is a slightly larger area compared to the pre-patch Mini Map, which displayed an area of 1600m^2. To compensate for this larger size relative to the original, we have scaled down the size of ‘Mech, Command, and Capture/Control Markers in the new Mini Map to help prevent excessive overlap when in close quarters.

• In light of the above change to the Mini Map zoom we have restored the grid markers back onto the Mini Map itself; they are no longer placed on the border, as in the initial June 21st patch.

• With the placement of the grid markers back onto the Mini Map, we have slightly increased the size of the Mini Map UI element itself, to make use of that available space.

LOOKING AHEAD

Our next steps, in a future patch, will be to implement the acquisition of Enemy ‘Mech Orientation Intel through the use of intel-gathering systems such as TAG and UAVs.
We will also be adding the ability to toggle the level of zoom on the Mini Map, between the 2000^2 scale and the full-Map scale seen in the initial June 21st patch. We still want players to be able to quickly glance at the battlefield as a whole, without needing to rely on the BattleGrid.

Beyond that, future patches will see additional refinements to InfoTech mechanics and how they can relate to the Mini Map. Certain ‘Mechs with specific capacities, such as the Atlas D-DC and its Command Console, will be able to convey their own Enemy ‘Mech Orientation Intel. In addition, allied ‘Mechs within range of the D-DC will be able inherit the properties of its Command Console and convey their own Enemy ‘Mech Orientation Intel to their teammates. Mechanics such as those are still in the design phase, but hopefully that sheds some light on the direction we are looking to take the Mini Map and its relation to InfoTech in the future.

Thank you for your feedback, MechWarriors.

We look forward to seeing you on the battlefield!

- The MechWarrior Team

http://mwomercs.com/...ng-new-mini-map

And some of you didn't like me throwing all those threads into one, which I still need to do now since there's new ones. How sad.

Good thing I couldn't play today, have been busy with work and other things, But again. Seriously,

Merging threads when there's 30+ IS reasonable, especially after you're promised a hot fix in the middle of it all. Congrats and hope that fix helps you play better.

#2 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:24 PM

This isn't good enough. They're still holding our doritos hostage.

Our next steps, in a future patch, will be to implement the acquisition of Enemy ‘Mech Orientation Intel through the use of intel-gathering systems such as TAG and UAVs.

Mechs with specific capacities, such as the Atlas D-DC and its Command Console, will be able to convey their own Enemy ‘Mech Orientation Intel. In addition, allied ‘Mechs within range of the D-DC will be able inherit the properties of its Command Console and convey their own Enemy ‘Mech Orientation Intel to their teammates. Mechanics such as those are still in the design phase, but hopefully that sheds some light on the direction we are looking to take the Mini Map and its relation to InfoTech in the future.

So, the feature that we've enjoyed for a very long time in MWO (seeing enemy doritos which allow us to know which direction the legs of enemy mechs are facing) is being permanently removed.. unless we deploy TAG, (blech,) consumable UAVs, (utter heresy that should not exist in a Battletech game,) or bring a Command Console, (which is a terrible waste of tonnage.)

PGI absolutely couldn't think of anything useful to buff the Command Console with, so they removed a widely used player feature and locked it behind a heavy piece of equipment that serves no other real in-game purpose.

I'd say give PGI feedback on how we, the players, feel about the permanent removal of enemy doritos, but

You're on an island

I'd also say Tweet directly at Russ your thoughts on the theft of our doritos, but he absolutely doesn't want to hear it.

http://i59.photobuck...zpsg5ymaloq.jpg

#3 TyphonCh

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:25 PM

Good.
Gotta make noise somehow. If they make a **** decision they should be called out as such.

#4 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:25 PM

View PostProcurator Derek, on 21 June 2016 - 08:21 PM, said:

Good thing I couldn't play today, have been busy with work and other things, But again. Seriously,

Derek you are so salty today. :P

Thanks for the update, though. I heard it was being fixed and told everyone in game I could.

#5 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:29 PM

View PostSnowbluff, on 21 June 2016 - 08:25 PM, said:

Derek you are so salty today. :P

I take a tablespoon of salt each time a minimap thread came up and another for people saying I was abusing power or that I was a jerk.

#6 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:35 PM

The non-rotating map was the thing that threw me off. I will be glad to get that back. Everything else, I have already adapted to.

#7 wolf74

• 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:36 PM

If the coders have some time please add a Check box in the Options to lock the map to North facing (AKA the Non-rotating) I like the new map Style but I understand having to please the masses.

#8 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:37 PM

Posted Image

Good. It's fixing my biggest issues with the map, while keeping the few bits and pieces that I liked.

#9 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:39 PM

I actually liked the new minimap, restoring rotation should make the biggest crybabies happy I am sure.

#10 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:44 PM

View PostProcurator Derek, on 21 June 2016 - 08:29 PM, said:

I take a tablespoon of salt each time a minimap thread came up and another for people saying I was abusing power or that I was a jerk.

Work for someone like you do, some of that should be expected. Now you understand why Russ curls up with a bottle when he has to come and stand before his player base.

#11 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:46 PM

I blame myself for bringing to attention last week that multiple threads on the same topic is against the CoC.

Did you know that acknowledging the existence of the CoC in the forums is against the CoC?

#12 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:49 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 21 June 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

I blame myself for bringing to attention last week that multiple threads on the same topic is against the CoC.

Did you know that acknowledging the existence of the CoC in the forums is against the CoC?

This post was probably against the code of conduct....

ONOZ, so is my post...!! Well, prolly anyway, somehow.

#13 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:52 PM

Hey Derek...

if you got a line to someone in PGI about this whole overblown fiasco, maybe mention the idea of making a new checkbox in settings for people that want to keep the minimap as it is right now(fixed)? Saw a lot of praise in matches tonight about the new map, and there are threads about wanting an option to keep it fixed. I see it as a boon to a new player to allow them to choose how they want it to function. I think a lot of(most of) the rage was created by old timers that are too set in their ways from years of playing to learn a new trick. new players don;t have that issue, and IMO it shouldn't be so difficult when the code for fixed is in now, and rotate will be soon.

Why not both? Why not Zoidberg?

#14 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:52 PM

The described changes address all of my concerns with the recent changes. Dorito facing is something i could take or leave.

View Postdervishx5, on 21 June 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

The what now?

#15 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:55 PM

View PostZolaz, on 21 June 2016 - 08:44 PM, said:

Work for someone like you do, some of that should be expected. Now you understand why Russ curls up with a bottle when he has to come and stand before his player base.

I don't think we relate. I work with bridges and people who want to do it the easy way and make more work that might affect the public and nature itself. He deals in video games, vitural reality.

#16 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

Might need to check with your doctor after this cools down. That can't be good for your health.

#17 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

View PostProcurator Derek, on 21 June 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

I don't think we relate. I work with bridges and people who want to do it the easy way and make more work that might affect the public and nature itself. He deals in video games, vitural reality.

So you work in a toll booth?

#18 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:00 PM

View PostZordicron, on 21 June 2016 - 08:52 PM, said:

Hey Derek...

if you got a line to someone in PGI about this whole overblown fiasco, maybe mention the idea of making a new checkbox in settings for people that want to keep the minimap as it is right now(fixed)? Saw a lot of praise in matches tonight about the new map, and there are threads about wanting an option to keep it fixed. I see it as a boon to a new player to allow them to choose how they want it to function. I think a lot of(most of) the rage was created by old timers that are too set in their ways from years of playing to learn a new trick. new players don;t have that issue, and IMO it shouldn't be so difficult when the code for fixed is in now, and rotate will be soon.

Why not both? Why not Zoidberg?

Here's the thing, they already knew there was going to be some major feedback on this, they were always eyes and ears, so long as you were civil. But, as usual, some people aren't, telling Russ he's a dumb*** and a idiot for doing what he did. oh no, you can't say he made a terrible decision, you gotta go further and add some Ad Hominem into the mix, make yourself feel, "dignified". But I'll talk to Tina tomorrow about such.

View Postdervishx5, on 21 June 2016 - 08:56 PM, said:

So you work in a toll booth?

Least you give me a good laugh after all of this.

#19 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostProcurator Derek, on 21 June 2016 - 09:00 PM, said:

Here's the thing, they already knew there was going to be some major feedback on this, they were always eyes and ears, so long as you were civil. But, as usual, some people aren't, telling Russ he's a dumb*** and a idiot for doing what he did. oh no, you can't say he made a terrible decision, you gotta go further and add some Ad Hominem into the mix, make yourself feel, "dignified". But I'll talk to Tina tomorrow about such.

Least you give me a good laugh after all of this.

TY man.

I understand also. Dat bittervet attitude though.

#20 BulletChief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 292 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:05 PM

I also like the new system.
More depth is always better. Say nothing to Doritos!

North facing map is also great.
But yes, we need a zoom toggle.

The hotfix changes sound great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users