#1 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:56 PM

Edited and cleaned up word block:

VR is pretty cool. There's no VR games released that I'm aware of as of yet. MWO isn't a very suitable candidate for VR so, I started playing around with Unity and its VR capabilities.

To be clear I'm not an experienced programmer, modeller, animator or anything and am learning things as I go, so expectations should remain as appropriate. :P

What I'm thinking: an interactive VR based MechWarrior demo. I'm experimenting with adding touch controls to physically interact with the cockpit. It'd be cool to have a viewer mode to view mechs through various angles.

Posted Image

And of course, I'm kinda borrowing PGI's assets here, which may or may not earn their unending love. This is a completely non-profit, for fun, only distributed from this forum game idea. If you guys would rather I didn't, say the word and I'll back off.

Cockpits are tricky because they're just not scaled correctly compared to their external representations. Most seem to be 2-3 times bigger than what they're externally depicted as, and few 'fit' without modification. It's why some cockpits look too big in MWO.

If anyone's interested as well, I'm very open to any help or contributions. Into making 3D scenes? Also very open to including custom BattleTech content, not just MWO stuff.

Edited by Dingo Red, 30 May 2017 - 10:22 PM.

#2 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:54 AM

Wow..outstanding idea! Dont have a VR set..but sounds like it would be very cool if you did. Id be happy to include some of the stuff I did for Bishop if he was so inclined as well..anyway great idea..look forward to seeing how it evolves.

#3 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:27 PM

Posted Image

Slowly figuring out the exported models and getting them into Unity.

A big question mark that has come up is the cockpits. A lot of people criticize them for being too big, but ironically the cockpits are correct and the mechs aren't. The cockpit models are designed to comfortably fit a proper scaled human, but the external mech model's cockpit wouldn't actually fit a human.

Since it's a bit beyond me to remodel the mechs to have bigger cockpits, I've opted to rescale the cockpits to fit in the mech... this has the effect of making the mechs very, very big. Very. But I'm experimenting with the Shawk here and have successfully sat in its cockpit. Posted Image

#4 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:23 PM

Really cool man, will keep an eye out on this thread!

#5 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:33 AM

I am thinking Solaris VII VR sports museum.

#6 Twoface

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:58 AM

Nice, love to see fan art and or Content,

#7 C1Rob

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 25 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:45 AM

Cool project!

Good luck with it, curious to see how it turns out :)

#8 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:33 PM

So I sat in an oversized Shadow Hawk cockpit today.

The problem with the mech model / cockpit model relation in MWO is that the cockpits are correct world scale in order to fit a human in-game, but the external mech models are too small. So one has to considerably boost the size of the mech model in order to fit the cockpit model within it.

#9 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Questions:
  • Does anybody in this community actually have a VR headset?
  • Is PGI going to skewer me if I put up downloads of a Unity project which uses assets from MWO?

#10 Chiasson Brinker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ace
  • The Ace
  • 260 posts
  • LocationWayside V

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

View PostDingo Red, on 28 May 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Questions:
  • Does anybody in this community actually have a VR headset?
  • Is PGI going to skewer me if I put up downloads of a Unity project which uses assets from MWO?

I've sent a friend of mine a link to this thread. He plays MWO, but I can never remember what screen name he uses. He's got the HTC Vive, for what it's worth.

#11 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

This is really lookin' cool!

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:46 PM

View Postkiriage, on 04 July 2016 - 02:54 AM, said:

Wow..outstanding idea! Dont have a VR set..but sounds like it would be very cool if you did. Id be happy to include some of the stuff I did for Bishop if he was so inclined as well..anyway great idea..look forward to seeing how it evolves.

somehow totally missed this post the first time... and yes, I am all in!

#13 ShadowLiger

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 21 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

I got an htc vive and I volunteer as tribute to test.

#14 Devkill Ward

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:39 PM

I have both the Vive and the Oculus with touch. Now way back in the day mech 2 had native support for vr head sets of that time. They call the Vive and Oculus the first consumer models but in truth these are the 2nd gen.The cost of a vr head set back then was like 3 grand. The down fall was the weight and cost. People bawk at the price now but in truth its no more expensive or less expensive actualy than a 4k tv. With that said will you be fine for a while as long as you dont make any money and include were all the assets came from, dont forget to add microsoft in your list as they hold the rights to all mech games. I have put serious thought to making a mech2 reboot. The reason is that mech 2 graphics fall in line with curent vr graphics limitations. IE low poly count ect. The differnce in this reboot would be that the hand actuators actauly work. Adding a new dimension to the game as well new mechs like the axeman. The issue i have is the actual control scheme. movement ect. Virtual controls vs actual controls such as joy sticks. How to switch between using hand contolers and others. the best answer ive come up with so far is that your not sitting in a cockpit. wich is aginst all the lore ect. But standing and your nerohelmet makes you one with the mech. But then you have the issue of torso twist.To wich i havnt come up with reasonble way to do this. im thinking of doing this in unreal considering it free as long as you dont make a profit. Also has built in vr devlopment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users