Hunchback Scout

6 replies to this topic

#1 Rhayn

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:17 PM

Recently been scouting a lot due to my success with that game mode and the fun factor of the short games where teamwork and personal skill are more rewarded but I can't decided weather or not to use streak srms, or plain old srms with arti for the increased precision. When comparing the two on http://keikun17.gith...heat_simulator/ it seems like the SRMs are much more effective at close range with the huge increase in dps, not to mention the ability to fire without a lock which is needed when aggressively torso twisting and popping around corners/allies. (Also not hard-countered by ECM which surprisingly isn't a big problem in scouting matches) Can someone explain why people have a positive affinity for the streaks over the regular SRMs, even in regular quick-matches? My accuracy with the SRMs is pretty decent so I can't figure out why people use streaks.

#2 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:46 PM

I think of IS streaks as something of an additional slap to tie into another weapon that you don't have to worry about aiming - I gotta say, one of the earlier successful load outs for my HBK 4J was 6 ML's and two streaks - when I did lock on, the extra missle damage was a bonus to go along with the arm lasers.

Currently though, if you want a quick HBK, well I say leave the missiles at home [smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...007a0ff8dfc414c[/smurfy]

Edited by stealthraccoon, 12 July 2016 - 07:54 PM.

#3 Rhayn

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:16 PM

I usually stick to the tier list quite strictly, but I'm getting a consistent 300+ damage per scouting game with the SRMs and it's really gotten me interested in other SRM builds on larger mechs so I think I'll be keeping them :P I've never really liked laser vomit due to constant heat issues which ruins DPS and forces players to face-tank a lot because of the .9 second duration of regular lasers. I tried a large laser and an Med pulse on the hunch a while back but most fights are within 300m anyways, so there are very little opportunities for long range weapons to be very effective when scouting compared to the dps you could be doing up-close in a 4v4 as well as sharing armor for your team.

#4 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

View PostCamm2310, on 12 July 2016 - 07:17 PM, said:

Recently been scouting a lot due to my success with that game mode and the fun factor of the short games where teamwork and personal skill are more rewarded but I can't decided weather or not to use streak srms, or plain old srms with arti for the increased precision. When comparing the two on http://keikun17.gith...heat_simulator/ it seems like the SRMs are much more effective at close range with the huge increase in dps, not to mention the ability to fire without a lock which is needed when aggressively torso twisting and popping around corners/allies. (Also not hard-countered by ECM which surprisingly isn't a big problem in scouting matches) Can someone explain why people have a positive affinity for the streaks over the regular SRMs, even in regular quick-matches? My accuracy with the SRMs is pretty decent so I can't figure out why people use streaks.

SSRM's are preferred for light-hunting, because of their longer range, lock-on ability, and the fact that lights don't have much armor, so the randomized targeting for the Streaks is not much of a downside.

Against anything else they become more of a liability though. Scouting often puts you up against brawler mediums as much or more often than light packs, and against them the Streaks have to pound through much more armor while being completely unable to focus damage on one component. On a HBK platform that isn't terrible since you will have lasers to back up the Streaks, but they don't deal directed damage, so regular SRMs are generally a better choice.

As far as ECM - Active Probes seem to be popular things to bring for scouting and break ECM at 360m - the same range as Streaks.

#5 Rhayn

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:19 AM

Thanks for the replies :)

#6 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:29 AM

The Hunchback 4SP is almost nearing god mode in the scouting que. The combination of SPL/MPL and SRM's and it's tankiness whilst maintaining good speed is good.

#7 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

Ok, so, the thing about the Hunchie 4SP is that it is the only one that can run a max-size standard engine without issues. So, best option is to do so. You are incredibly mobile (For a Hunchie), can tank damage for days with proper torso-twisting, and are an absolute terror to Streak Crows. Here is the build I run.

HBK-4SP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users