- - - - -

Mechwarrior Manga

5 replies to this topic

#1 the doughnut man

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:18 PM

so if I make the manga, will the clanner becomes the bad guy? I wanna make mauler mx90 as the main protagonist, but I will ,make a 10 pages regularly uploaded on facebook....small first....so yeah....can someone give me advice?

I mean....if I use the unseen as a subject will that be wrong? I mean I make this manga free off charge....as a hobby...so...

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:30 PM

Why not just do some test runs and be ready to start from scratch after taking in some feedback?

#3 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:31 AM

Fyi- mx90 was essentially a prototype that would not be seen outside Kuritan hands. At that, it would still be a rare bird. Not to mention largely considered a failure.

What I am really getting at is if it is not "true to lore" then your potential fanbase will be very very limited

#4 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:14 AM

I would recommend to make the pilot of the mauler the main protagonist, not the mauler itself.
Good luck, i'm looking forward to what you'll come up with.

Spoiler

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 24 July 2016 - 04:17 AM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:09 AM

Some things to think about when considering alternatives to the good guy / bad guy plotscheme:

"Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views." - Squall Leonhart

"I could see the planet as it appeared form space. That's when it finally hit me. Space exploration is nothing but another game in the power struggle between the US and USSR. Politics, economics, the arms race - they're all just arenas for meaningless competition. I'm sure you can see that. But the Earth itself has no boundaries. No East, No West, No Cold War. And the irony of it is, the United States and the Soviet Union are spending billions on their space programs and the missile race only to arrive at the same conclusion. In the 21st century everyone will be able to see that we are all just inhabitants of a little celestial body called Earth. A world without communism and capitalism... that is the world I wanted to see. But reality continued to betray me." - The Boss; Metal Gear Solid 3.

"Listen to me, Jack. Just because soldiers are on the same side right now doesn't mean they always will be. Having personal feelings about your comrades is one the worst sins you can commit."
"Politics determine who you face on the battlefield. And politics are a living thing. They change along with the times. Yesterday's good might be tomorrow's evil."
"A soldier has to follow whatever orders he's given. It's not his place to question why. [...] A solider is a political tool, nothing more. That's doubly true if he's a career soldier. Right and wrong have no place in his mission. He has no enemies and no friends. Only the mission. You follow the orders you're given. That's what being a soldier is all about." - The Boss; MGS3.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:19 AM

View Postthe doughnut man, on 23 July 2016 - 10:18 PM, said:

so if I make the manga, will the clanner becomes the bad guy? I wanna make mauler mx90 as the main protagonist, but I will ,make a 10 pages regularly uploaded on facebook....small first....so yeah....can someone give me advice?

I mean....if I use the unseen as a subject will that be wrong? I mean I make this manga free off charge....as a hobby...so...

Will be better to use non-unseen images for them. Nothing wrong with giving a more 'personal' appearance to mechs.

Side note: Continuing on the Clans being good/bad, they were neither really.
Aleksandr Kerensky, whom effectively led the Star League beyond the Periphery, had this to say on his departure (though due to using the short-wave radio and not a HPG, his message wouldn't arrive for a few hundred years after the Clan invasion, further still hundreds of years after he said these words)

His son, Nicholas Kerensky, leads a second exodus abandoning most of the Star League forces to create the new society later to be known as the Clans.

The Clans are divided among two major ideologies. The Crusaders and the Wardens.
Crusaders whom believe that it is their right to re-establish the Star League by force with themselves as its leaders.
Crusader example:

And the Wardens whom believe in the core of the Star League Defense Force's mission to defend the Inner Sphere from outside threats while maintaining their distinct cultures.
Warden example:

Now, to further this: When Smoke Jaguar took over a certain planet, protests from its citizens occurred. Such a thing was unheard of for the Clans. The Smoke Jags didn't know what to do. Protests turned to riots, which turned into chaos and led to an orbital bombardment. Clan Wolf shunned this dishonorable act and swore to bid away all fleet assets, requiring the honor of the other three invaidng Clans to do the same in order to not be outbid on who gets to Batchall (Battle Challenge) which planets.

Interestingly, before the Clans ever invaded, Clan Wolf sent a party into the Inner Sphere over 50 years earlier. Wolf's Dragoons is a mercenary force in the Inner Sphere with a huge reputation and their own planet Outreach.
The police force of Outreach is made entirely of Elementals, long before anyone even knew what an elemental was.
Posted Image
For comparison in size to normal people:
Posted Image

Wolf's Dragoons reported to Clan Wolf that the Inner Sphere was woefully inferior. The result? The "discovery" of the Helm Memory Core, bringing back Star League era tech that gradually brought the following out of (producing) extinction:
Jenners (ability to make or fix them went extent; but there were so many of them that it didn't matter much).
NARC Missile Beacon.
Double Heatsinks.
XL engines.
LBX.
ER PPCs.
Streak Missiles.
AMS.
ECM (Guardian ECM)
Beagle Active Probe.
CASE.
More than three dozen technologies in total.
With Wolf's Dragoons 'secretly' supplying this discovery, Clan Wolf effectively gave the Inner Sphere what little means it even has in 3050 to fight off the Clans.

Nothing is as clear cut as "Good" and "Bad."

Other things worth sharing:
Kurnath Liao and politics.
Posted Image
And they say that in comparison,Kurnath was kind and sane compared to Chancellor Romano Liao.

Read the right side.
Posted Image
A bit of Davion wit is always good for flavor.

A Mercenary contract... because so many people have the wrong idea of what it is and what it means.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users