Basic Mwo Tactics

Question

26 replies to this topic

#1 Zerlice

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:26 AM

Hello, everyone!

Since this is my first post I would like to use this moment to say hello the the MWO community.
I hope that we can have a lot of fun together and have some good sportsmanship in game.

I also noticed that while playing that I am not very sure what I am supposed to be doing. Normally I pick a mech with long-range weapons and stay behind the largest group of my team, trying to play a bit like a "sniper".

What is the general idea what I should be doing in a match?

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:33 AM

-Pick a role
-Pick a mech that suits that role
-Use the absolute best build to suit that role
-Have fun.

#3 Zerlice

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:46 AM

[color=#959595]-Pick a role[/color]
[color=#959595]-Pick a mech that suits that role[/color]
[color=#959595]-Use the absolute best build to suit that role[/color]

[color=#959595]-Have fun. [/color]

I think that you misunderstood me, I am quite happy about my catapult that I made, but I am not sure how to play in the match. Do I follow a squad-leader or something?

#4 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:06 AM

MW:O Tactics 101 ?

Stick with the mob, focus fire on the first poor soul that dares to show up in range until atomized .
Rinse.
Repeat.
Profit.

;)

#5 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:19 AM

to me playing any sort of Fixed roll is just bad for a new player. I suggest a medium or heavy mech, that has decent range, and firepower/speed. Things like large pulse, medium pulse, large lasers, or AC5-20's are good for IS side.. Clan side, ERML, and ERLL's, pulse, and the UAC5-20.. Both sides use SRMs well too.

Mainly, what you want is a mech that is solid at the 300-500m range, that you can stick with the groups, Jump into brawls when needed, or provide back up for assaults.

Mechs like the Hunchback, Thunder bolt, Jager, Catapult, (K2, and jester are great mechs) Jager and Cat's need XL engines for the most part, and become more costly, But the HBK, and thunder bolt are pretty flexible and you can get 3, With your New player +25 game c-bill bonus.

stormcrow, hellbringer, and Timberwolf are all flexible clanside.

They are all solid mechs, that can play the middle range game well, and honestly starting out that is exactly what you want. Sniping, you need to be really good at it, and know maps, and know when to help out upfront with using your armor to help support the team by spreading damage.

Brawling is very tricky too, as is playing lights or assaults. Many of these nitch rolls, mean you really need to understand the game to get the best out of the builds. In someways, they can also teach a lot of bad habits too, Like just hiding at long range, or playing the LRM game. (well used LRM's int he 300-500m range game is a whole other story and takes lots of skill)

A more generalized build can let you understand the flow much better, and you can jump in when teams decide to play the long range peak and poke, and when they decide to get u pclose and personal

#6 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:34 AM

Here's a basic rundown.
  • Teams are organized into 3 lances of 4 players. They are roughly grouped by size/speed. It's a good idea to stay with the majority of your team, especially if you are new.
  • Don't park right behind a teammate.
  • Remember to share your armor. This means that you all take turns taking fire sometimes, this is super important to remember when playing a longer ranged build as well.
  • Don't forget to watch your minimap and move with the team. Often a team will position itself within the first couple of minutes, but then the situation will arise when the team needs to pivot or flank. Be ready to move with the team.
  • If a teammate is using the VOIP, try to follow their commands to the best of your ability, especially focus firing on a mech. They will call out "Alpha", "Beta" which corresponds to the Callsign on the enemy mech in your HUD.

#7 -FLY

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:38 AM

View PostZerlice, on 24 July 2016 - 03:46 AM, said:

I think that you misunderstood me, I am quite happy about my catapult that I made, but I am not sure how to play in the match. Do I follow a squad-leader or something?

lrm carriers are quiet easy....they shoot lrm. but if you waanna be more further approaching greatness, try the commander button

#8 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:29 AM

View PostZerlice, on 24 July 2016 - 03:26 AM, said:

• Stick with your team,
  • Shoot what they are shooting.
  • Don't get shot by the enemy in the process.
  • If you do get shot at, make sure you shoot back (optimal would be you do more damage then they do)
  • If you can not do more damage then the enemy does, go away (behind cover or even a friendly mech)
  • Rather then trying to kill someone, try to stay alive while shooting enemies (they will die in the process)
  • press the "R" button (it will make your teammates shooting what you are shooting at)
  • Don't park or butt hump friendly mechs, you will get them killed if you do that, stick to their sides instead.
and finally, play a lot of matches, you can only learn by playing. Nobody is expecting you to be particular good at the game within your first couple of hundred games.

for later:
  • Shoot mechs, aim for the middle
  • then shoot either the lower part (legs) or the upper part (torso + arms)
  • divide the lower and upper part into 2 parts, (left/right leg and left/right torso.)
  • press "R" look at the top right popup paperdoll of the mech you are targeting (the one with the red square around it)
  • Shoot the part of the mech which is highlighted (a yellow part is damaged, a red part is about to fall off)
  • learn to move and shoot at the same time
  • don't stand still
  • if you do have to stand still, at least move your torso left and right whenever you get shot at.
MWO is all about winning trades. Look for every tiny bit which lets you trade blows to your advantage.

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 24 July 2016 - 05:37 AM.

#9 Zerlice

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:32 AM

Wow, thank you all for all your replies! I like this community already!

I have one mech that I made myself. I noticed that the trial mech that I like most was the shadowcat with 2 large clan pulse lasers. It is a medium mech that has ECM and good range, so I played it as a sneaky sniper. When I played my 25 cadet matches with a bunch of the trial mechs I still liked that one most, but also enjoyed the general feel of the heavy mechs, so I decided that my first mech would be a heavy sniper. I looked at the heavy mechs and have to admit that my choice was largely biased to remembering liking the catapult from the Mechassault video-game I used to play on the X-box. I know, I know, kinda stupid to go for looks. But it also looked like a long range mech and I personally prefer the mechs that not look too humanoid (hands, heads, etc.).

I got the Catapult K2 version because I was not too fond of missiles. I played around with it for a bit, seeing what weapons I liked most and getting heat to be acceptable. This cost me a good bit of money, buying different weapons a lot. Eventually I came to my current load-out, using 2 AC/5's for long ranged (assigned to my left mouse button) and a medium-pulselaser, medium-laser and large pulse laser for when I am in a pinch and have to defend myself in close range. (or if im out of AC ammo. Assigned to my right mouse button.) Even have an anti missile thing installed!

I found a way to share my load-out. What do you people think? I am assuming literally everyone here is more experienced with this stuff then me by quite a lot, not really sure what I am doing. Posted Image

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...838deeb08b6c173[/smurfy]

Edited by Zerlice, 24 July 2016 - 05:40 AM.

#10 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:19 AM

View PostZerlice, on 24 July 2016 - 05:32 AM, said:

Wow, thank you all for all your replies! I like this community already!

I have one mech that I made myself. I noticed that the trial mech that I like most was the shadowcat with 2 large clan pulse lasers. It is a medium mech that has ECM and good range, so I played it as a sneaky sniper. When I played my 25 cadet matches with a bunch of the trial mechs I still liked that one most, but also enjoyed the general feel of the heavy mechs, so I decided that my first mech would be a heavy sniper. I looked at the heavy mechs and have to admit that my choice was largely biased to remembering liking the catapult from the Mechassault video-game I used to play on the X-box. I know, I know, kinda stupid to go for looks. But it also looked like a long range mech and I personally prefer the mechs that not look too humanoid (hands, heads, etc.).

I got the Catapult K2 version because I was not too fond of missiles. I played around with it for a bit, seeing what weapons I liked most and getting heat to be acceptable. This cost me a good bit of money, buying different weapons a lot. Eventually I came to my current load-out, using 2 AC/5's for long ranged (assigned to my left mouse button) and a medium-pulselaser, medium-laser and large pulse laser for when I am in a pinch and have to defend myself in close range. (or if im out of AC ammo. Assigned to my right mouse button.) Even have an anti missile thing installed!

I found a way to share my load-out. What do you people think? I am assuming literally everyone here is more experienced with this stuff then me by quite a lot, not really sure what I am doing. Posted Image

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...838deeb08b6c173[/smurfy]

i moved some things around in your mech.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6e864b7374758b3

First off, i recommend against putting ammo in a side torso with an xl engine. When ammo explosde there, you pretty much auto-die.

Also, I traded your 1 medium pulse for two medium lasers to keep your weapons simple.

I moved around some armor, because you had too much in the rear. I also added more armor to the legs because thats where your ammo is.

While I recommend dropping the ams, i can understand why you would need it since you probably dont have radar deprevation yet.

#11 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:32 AM

Try this K2 and see if you like it.

I would recommend to stick to 2 weapon kinds (main and backup)
I also would recommend to treat Large pulse lasers as main weapons.

The catapult's hero'mech "Jester" might be interesting for you, when it comes to energy focused builds (and AMS)
It can combine laserweapondry with a very good weapon sync (large pulse + medium or med pulse + large pulse) with a high engine cap.

Although, it might be a bit early for you to chip in some money. There are hundreds of easier to acquire 'mechs ingame (c-bill variants) for you to explore.

#12 Zerlice

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:34 AM

That looks neat! Good tip with moving the ammo, but your new build there has less AC ammo,and I sometimes run out even with 120...

#13 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:36 AM

A heavy sniper with ECM? The Hellbringer.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:13 AM

View PostZerlice, on 24 July 2016 - 03:26 AM, said:

Hello, everyone!

Since this is my first post I would like to use this moment to say hello the the MWO community.
I hope that we can have a lot of fun together and have some good sportsmanship in game.

I also noticed that while playing that I am not very sure what I am supposed to be doing. Normally I pick a mech with long-range weapons and stay behind the largest group of my team, trying to play a bit like a "sniper".

Welcome to MWO.
The most basic MWO tactic is to get together, form a ball and mow down the other team.

How well this works really depends.

------------

Now for the mech...
It reminds me of this old build from 2012.

Skip to about 2 minutes in, as I mostly refused to participate in the fighting due to the 8 versus 3 status of the game. This was until someone shot me.

Main differences would be to have the lasers fire at the same time (no repair and rearm mechanic to force people to use standard engines and heatsinks) and use the AC/5s plenty. The build that Toha built has 150 shots, or effectively 75 trigger pulls.

Another alternative...
Standard engine 300. Twin Large Pulse, twin small pulse, twin MG. The large pulses are your main heavy hitter. Tie the small pulse and MGs together on the same button and it is your DPS backup.
XL engine 300. Twin large pulse, twin large laser, twin MG. This requires something more of a three button setup. Put MGs under your right click (group 2) ; use these when running hot or when close. Large lasers have more reach so you may even want to switch them to the arms. The large pulses are still your heavy hitters, though.

#15 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:34 AM

Welcome to MWO! You are getting great advice here, and this is the place to ask questions. We love helping out new players, so feel free to ask away. My only suggestion is that if you have another question to think about making a new thread for it.

As far as tactics go, staying with your team is probably the most important thing at this time. You will notice that there are actually three colors for mech that appear in your HUD. Blue for friendly mechs and a ligther blue or green for those in your lance. There is also red for your enemies.

Stay with your lance whenever possible. When the screen loads that shows the players you will notice Alpha Lance, Bravo Lance and Charlie Lance. They are sort of ranked from lightest to heaviest. If you are not in Charlie lance, I suggest you figure out where they are and move toward their position. They are your assaults and other heavies and they are the damage dealers. Add your damage to theirs and fire on what they fire on. Whenever possible DO NOT SWITCH TARGETS. Fire on the enemy until they are dead, unless they have no weapons left.

Also, try to get on comms if you are not already. Talking to your team mates and listening is the best way to work as a cohesive unit.

Good luck, and I hope to see you on the battlefield.

Edited by mailin, 24 July 2016 - 07:35 AM.

#16 Zerlice

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:01 AM

Thank you all so much for your advice and warm welcome!

I will try to make sure to stick with my lance, a bit at the back so that I can give some firesupport with my AC/5's.
So if I generally just stay with the rest and fire at enemies in range, I am getting the good idea? I should propably also keep an eye out for cover and stuff... Guessing that my AMS also is more useful if I am also protecting nearby allies.

I hope to see you all in the game some time and that you have a lot of fun! Posted Image

Cheers,

Zerlice.

Edited by Zerlice, 24 July 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

Their AMS, if so equipped, is also useful in boosting your own AMS's defenses.
12 AMS is nearly impenetrable.

I once saw a team with 26 AMS. Not even SRMs could reach them when fired at close range.

#18 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:52 PM

View PostZerlice, on 24 July 2016 - 03:46 AM, said:

Welcome!

You also have this:
http://mwomercs.com/...des-strategies/

of which, you might start with this:
http://mwomercs.com/...ics-101-comics/
and this:
http://mwomercs.com/...ideo-tutorials/

#19 Zerlice

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:49 AM

Thanks, Hunka Helpful Junk!

That does look like just the part of the forum I should be looking, and those comics are great! Even comes with funny text to keep my attention. :D Thanks for the links.

#20 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:59 AM

View PostZerlice, on 24 July 2016 - 08:01 AM, said:

So if I generally just stay with the rest and fire at enemies in range, I am getting the good idea?

Think of what your enemy sees. Do they see you and another mech? (If so, you two are getting shot.) Do they see a group of four mechs firing on them? (At this point fire gets spread, everyone shooting messily into the fray. Even if you can't hit, just by being there, firing with the team, your drawing fire an sharing armour.)

Also, you don't want four mechs to see just you. You know your gonna get wrecked at that point.

As you play more of the game, you'll under stand when you can poke safely (When the enemy looks away, or is shooting someone else.) and when to charge in and chase. (Try not chasing lights at first. They have a tendancy to lead you away from your team, turning to pounce upon you once your teammates aren't around.)

I should propably also keep an eye out for cover and stuff... Guessing that my AMS also is more useful if I am also protecting nearby allies.

If an ally is getting missiles dropped on em, getting closer to the launching mech gives your ams more time to clear missles and prevent damage. Of course, you'll want to find safe, cover protected avenues to get closer, but if you can, getting between the two is the way to help with ams.

I hope to see you all in the game some time and that you have a lot of fun! Posted Image
You too.

~Leone

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users