Low Fps Only In Some Parts, Some Maps.

6 replies to this topic

#1 No One Lives Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:35 AM

Hi, guys, i'd appreciate any advice on FPS issue.

My system is i7 2600k@4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980 heavily overclocked, fast SSD, x64 client, newest drivers.. all that. I know CPU is kinda old already, but newest ones aren't that faster and it doesn't bottleneck the 980, so..maybe i'll stay with it a bit longer.

On MSAA and VSync ON i get stable 60 FPS on all maps most of the time, without VSync is ~70 FPS. When i use POSTAA or FXAA, my FPS are 100-170 on most maps most of the time. Everything else is set to very high (as per screenshot) and i usually run everything on these settings.

Now.. no matter what video AA ( POSTAA, FXAA, MSAA or no AA at all) settings i use, i get low FPS (low 40s) on some maps, on some parts of these maps (new maps mostly: Viridian Bog, Forest Colony and sometimes FPS drop on Caustic Valley.) Any idea what could cause this? What makes from 170 FPS go to 40 FPS? What settings should i adjust to get best possible graphics at stable 60 FPS? Or it's not possible? Lousy PGI programming? My CPU?

Thank you for your advices.

Posted Image

Edited by No One Lives Forever, 24 July 2016 - 05:46 AM.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:30 PM

Would you run a few of those maps in the Testing Grounds and note which sector you are and what sector you are facing, ie C5 facing D6.

Many would say to run Shadows on med and Post Processing on low/med, as well as particles. As for the FPS differences, it is one of the reasons I had suggested putting a FPS cap.

Below is where one of our players, Goose, helps a player create a customized user.cfg file.

http://mwomercs.com/...09#entry4667809

And definitely an interesting thread where Goose and a few other players are constantly involved.

http://mwomercs.com/...formance-tests/

There will always be areas of the maps where particiles

#3 No One Lives Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:53 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 24 July 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

Would you run a few of those maps in the Testing Grounds and note which sector you are and what sector you are facing, ie C5 facing D6.

Many would say to run Shadows on med and Post Processing on low/med, as well as particles. As for the FPS differences, it is one of the reasons I had suggested putting a FPS cap.

Below is where one of our players, Goose, helps a player create a customized user.cfg file.

http://mwomercs.com/...09#entry4667809

And definitely an interesting thread where Goose and a few other players are constantly involved.

http://mwomercs.com/...formance-tests/

There will always be areas of the maps where particiles

Thanks, man. I hear Goose is "retired"? ;)

#4 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:13 AM

One of my unit mates had the same issue with this patch, FPS was 60-70, went to 10-20. Resolved by dropping shadows to low.

#5 Tahawus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:08 AM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 25 July 2016 - 06:13 AM, said:

One of my unit mates had the same issue with this patch, FPS was 60-70, went to 10-20. Resolved by dropping shadows to low.

Yeah, that was me, whatever portion of the graphics is associated with shadows was singlehandedly responsible for rendering the game nearly unplayable.

#6 No One Lives Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:26 AM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 25 July 2016 - 06:13 AM, said:

View PostTahawus, on 25 July 2016 - 07:08 AM, said:

Yeah, that was me, whatever portion of the graphics is associated with shadows was singlehandedly responsible for rendering the game nearly unplayable.

Thanks for that, i'll check it out.

#7 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:28 PM

There is likely a lot of cleanup needing to be done behind the scenes on various maps still from previous map builders. I mean, we know there is because of all the 'invisible walls' and things we encounter repeatedly, but there is probably even more that isn't necessarily as easy to spot for players.

I'd recommend that when you find these types of spots, take a screenshot, note the location, and send it in as a support ticket. This will make it easier for them to target specific problem spots.

In general, places on maps that generate tons of particles and shadows can be problematic even with stronger systems. Turning these settings down may help. Ultimately, though, we'd like it to be taken care of at the map design level so players don't have to worry about such things (as realistically we shouldn't have to).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users