Tiers

16 replies to this topic

#1 hordes1ayer2

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

I am just wondering how to go up in tiers and whats the best way to do it. Thanks

#2 Ragnahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts
  • LocationAce in RVN-3L, HBK-4P, CDA-2A, AS7-S, BNC-3M, Won Top Dog Tourny.. Those are my bests

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:54 PM

first 25 matches decides your tier.

#3 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:55 PM

Winning. --- It's as simple as that.

My W/L when PSR hit was 0.3 after hundred or so games. I was an absolute noob. Now my W/L is upto 1. That's a lot better, and here I am. It's more an "XP" bar (I would say a consistency bar, though) than a "skill" bar.

If you're really interested, start by introspecting.

1) your play
2) your builds

If you lose, something went wrong. Were you to blame?
If you died too early, something definitely went wrong there. Again, think about what you might have done wrong.

A next step would be to get a mech in which you can do well in game after game. Something reliable and something you're good with. 'Course, pushing out of T5 doesn't exactly require more than LRMs, but still, getting used to a good mid range build helps in the long run.

The most essential skill in MWO is positioning. I cannot emphasize this enough.

The people that are bad with assault mechs and light mechs (aka I live out of my FoTM mech) are poor with their positioning. Both lights and assaults take a LOT of positioning skill.

Getting caught out in an assault is DEATH. Getting shot at by all of the enemy team because you rounded a corner and stopped in a light, is DEATH.

Definitely work on your assault mechs and lights. It helps you to understand the mindset of good pilots of these weight classes, and all the work that goes into it, even when you lose, you always learn something.

It'll help you tremendously.

Eg: You start piloting lights, and (everything except the cheeter) seems super fragile. You don't seem to be able to win when fighting against multiple mechs. But one on one, your mobility is a good advantage, you can run circles around assaults, and a pack of lights can dispose of an assault or a heavy before it can do anything. The mindset is get behind him.

remembering this, next time you're in an assault or a heavy and face a light, you will remember, lights can only abuse their mobility if they can get behind you and to the side. You will back up against a wall, and call your teammates. Against just you? he'll win. You backed up against the wall and team mates on the way? he'll have to chew through your front (which he doesn't have DPS to do), and have to face your buddies.

(A lot of stuff like this is in the Tactics 101 comics, which I definitely recommend)

---

Or as someone might come along and say. "Git Gud"

Edited by Keshav Murali, 27 July 2016 - 06:58 PM.

#4 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:34 PM

1. Buy KDK 3 or KGC 000B or KGC 000 & boat uacs.
2. Click Quickplay
3. ???
4. Profit!

Edited by UnofficialOperator, 28 July 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#5 Thor Sten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

Tier-Increase depends heavily on matchscore, which depend way to heavy on damage (30 spottings +12 Scouting whole enemy team? Something like 100 points. Doing 400 Damage? 200 Points). So in short: Screw objectives, screw light/scout mechs (unless you can do something like 1000 Dmage with a Locust, then everything's fine) and win by total destruction.

However, it might not be worth it. Playing Tier 5 was quite fun, the pugs could even do some basic Teamwork if someone took charage. Ever since I reached Tier 2 (which was an uphill battle with my locust (I can't do 1000 damage a match)) the teamplay sucks.

Edited by Thor Sten, 28 July 2016 - 07:59 AM.

#6 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

Normally I would recommend group play, to raise tiers but...

Know that raising in tiers raises the amount of try hards you will face on the battlefield. Eventually fun will get thrown out the window... And you may find all thats left is high stress level matches where fingers gets pointed... Voips get blown up at the end of many matches... And you need jump jets to fly over the mountains of salt that lay before you.

Anyway, I recommend just enjoying where your at, and you'll eventually climb at your own pace.

P.s. Bring a heavy or assault and let the slaughter begin!

#7 DJ Sikosis

• PipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:10 PM

View PostRed Comet1, on 27 July 2016 - 06:54 PM, said:

first 25 matches decides your tier.

Damn ... wish I knew that. All I cared about was grinding ... guess that's why I've never been higher than Tier 5.

#8 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:27 AM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 28 July 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

Anyway, I recommend just enjoying where your at, and you'll eventually climb at your own pace.

A 100 times this.

#9 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:17 PM

Player tier advancement is most dependent on 2 conditions:
Winning a match AND match score, in that order.
Winning a match is self explanatory
Match score is biased towards Solo kills > Kills Most Damage Dealt > Damage done > etc in that order.

As example, I had a few bad matches with 100 or so damage, but because the team won my PSR stayed the same.
Another example would be 2 solo kills +1 KMDD (3 KMDD in total), 500+ damage and a loss, my PSR stayed the same.

P.S. Tier 1 might as well be called: "THE NO FUN ALLOWED ZONE" or "INTERNET BATTLE MECHS IS A SERIOUS BUSINESS CROWD"

Edited by Neput Z34, 29 July 2016 - 05:20 PM.

#10 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

Honestly, just ignore it. The more you play, the more you'll improve, and it will naturally go up over time. If you *try* to grind PSR XP, you're just going to have a bad time.

#11 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:07 AM

View Postprocess, on 05 August 2016 - 01:47 PM, said:

Honestly, just ignore it. The more you play, the more you'll improve, and it will naturally go up over time. If you *try* to grind PSR XP, you're just going to have a bad time.

Says the tier 1 scrub! *cough* ;)

#12 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:47 AM

View PostCryll Ankiseth, on 15 August 2016 - 01:07 AM, said:

Says the tier 1 scrub! *cough* Posted Image

process speaks the truth, ...
Instead of grinding for xp, do it for skill improvement.

I'd a torrid time upon my arrival into T1 as I can't seem to stay alive more than a few minutes into a match but I would stick around to spectate the best pilot actions for inspiration.

#13 Knighthawk26

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 131 posts
  • LocationBlack Forest

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:59 AM

Good advice from everyone above. I want to echo the "enjoy where you are". This game is for fun, so have fun. You will probably enjoy the lower tiers more than higher ones.

But it is also a good idea to find a couple of heavier mechs that are reliably good for you. Scoring high in one match and then getting killed early with a low score in the next match is a sure way to NOT go up in tiers. You need to have consistently good scores to level up. And it seems easier to most of us to get more damage and kills using a heavier mech. And look for a mech with good medium to long range firepower, decent speed, and not too hot. That way no matter what map you land on you can be consistently effective.

#14 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:09 PM

Try to average 400-500+ damage per match and you'll be good.

#15 TacticalRetreat

Rookie

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:12 AM

I love how everyone says this is a team based shooter and how in the upper tier matches, the games are more team centric. But in order to climb the Tier system, they start you out in lower tier lobbies that are filled with disorganized players and reward points that are doled out with emphises one solo play rather than helping your team.

end rant

#16 maimaimi

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:10 AM

I've a strategy for safely keeping their 2-3(fun their)

When I win too much I get into bum rush nova and run around suisidaly fighting assaults 1v1, often I die so par goes down

On the other hand if my psr too low I use my standard mechs that have high preformance and bring my psr slowly back up

As long as you run a half decent mech and play a half decent game your psr will go up, it's quite literally inevitable because system is skewed. Only way to stop it is to intentionally play bad

#17 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:02 PM

Honestly if you really, really want to go up, play the mech that you do your best in (usually your favourite) all of the time. Grinding new mechs of various chasis is a lot of fun....but ultimately when I see my kdr is below one (as it is currently) I jump into my Jester. Another option is the Kodiak 3. It's hard to not put out 500 damage and get two plus kills in it. You will almost always go up or break even in a loss.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users