Fw Overhaul

11 replies to this topic

#1 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:07 PM

Wondering how much less productive this is in here vice GD, but here goes.

Redo FW.

Each clan has certain attack lanes into IS space. Each IS house has certain lanes into other houses. Think of these as highways with specific paths and on/off ramps. Each planet is a week long campaign on a gigantic map. You have up to 64 players on each planet at a time, in the same game. Planet has a few dozen bases to attack and defend. Disparity in current pop on each side is made up by AI units (tanks, aerospace, infantry, and mechs). Attackers must get to certain objectives to win the planet by the end of the cycle. Each player gets 4 spawns per 4 hours, any mech in your bay that has an available spawn slot. Spawns occur at any base with a free slot with each base having a certain set of slot types (light, med, heavy, assault) available. Each base has a limited number of these spawn slots, with max number available at furthest back base (last line of defense). Repair and rearm available at all bases. You may need to sortie from a further base to field the mechs you want.

Base captures provide AI ground unit support at set intervals. Tanks and artillery vehicles, infantry defenders, etc. Mechs are all dropped from landing dropships that are restricted by landing pad size.

Units land on a planet and can only fight on that planet until they decide to transition to another one (if available lane is open). Takes some set time to transit between planets.

Result: it will take a lot of effort to cap a planet. The invasion will take a long time with coordinated effort. People will be invested because their work isn't just due for reset in a month because planets flip so easily.

#2 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:11 PM

Nice dreamcastle.
I'll be surprised if they manage to do more than hotfixing LT for the 6th (?) time and pooling the factions into 2.

#3 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:05 AM

It is a ton of work. You get what you pay for. It's funny that these ideas never even build up a head of steam because nobody cares about anything but complaining - piss and moan threads in GD go on for 50 pages. This thread will die with its brethren at less than two. This is due in no small part to these types of posts being ignored for years. But think, if PGI had worked on something like this from day one, we would have it right now.

Easy to say that it is too hard when you are looking for excuses not to do it. But my question is. ..would you like to see the above? Would it be worth waiting for?

Edited by Dino Might, 28 July 2016 - 05:06 AM.

#4 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:09 AM

[Deleted: Looks like I posted in wrong FP thread....]

Edited by Jables McBarty, 28 July 2016 - 06:11 AM.

#5 Rugbypig

• Pip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:45 PM

I agree that FW needs to change.
8 hour planet flips make MWO seem like COD.
No real effort just spam in a short time and take it.
No overarching strategy, no player investment, just spam, and spam, and spam. Like a bad Monty Python skit.
I hate to think that the player population is deemed incapable of investing time (Yes!! real time) into an invasion strategy.

Well here's hoping some good can come from this suggestion.

#6 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:49 PM

I've pasted this reply from a previous, but I think the idea compatible with yours Dino, and maybe some food for thought?

~ I would also like to see some good story based missions thrown into the mix, not all of them fairly balanced: Kobayashi Maru (The unwinnable situation) etc. I also think arenas would be fun too: 1v1 2v2 4v4.... and I'd really like to see a lot more of that integrated into the star map, faction play etc. Suggest that QP is still very much QP, but there would be a lot of behind the scene effects on planets etc. You could manage as much or as little coordination as you desire. Be a QP Warrior (all default/auto pilot on where you attack), or go Full on and be voting on where your unit or faction attacks, or where "You" want to attack if your freelance. What planets you attack, can be up to you and each planet has to have some of each game mode (on a map that's common to the planets weather patterns and terrain etc.)... QP Warrior guy that hates snow maps can tweek a few settings here and there to control where he attacks and to some degree game modes, but unit commanders and small organized groups could have a strong impact by playing through many of the game modes on a single planet (or area), and the legions of "default" set QP warriors would be at command of the units via voting (or some system).

- Want real immersion? true to life stuff?, then ya, mix the whole thing up a tad, give command and control of where the legions go to unit commanders who then fight along side them with their units. Faction QP peeps would likely get to know many of the people they fight with making it more personal as well. That's what makes people come back more and stay logged in longer, makes more money for PGI to keep improving the game. Over all it's a fun game, and I play fairly regularly but I'm not much of a FW guy because of the time involved, but I like the concept and would love to see more ways to contribute.

That'd fill the "Buckets" or "Ques" and those could even be dynamic, or mathematically calculated based on some player population average or something.

#7 Reverse Desicator

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:16 AM

In addition to what you posted Dino. This topic came up in an earlier discussion with MaChIIInA on stream where he suggested chassis/weapons be restricted to the factions/clans that built them and or were available at that time. The only way you could acquire additional chassis/weapons outside of what is available is through salvage. There would actually be a difference between the factions/clans and quite a bit more incentive to play. Hope I got most of that right... meh no ones going to read this anyway xD.

#8 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:47 AM

Could use the original post idea as framework for so much. Each planet has its own associated manufacturing capabilities so if you lose what you brought (4 mechs in 4 hours), then you can build certain reinforcements to have additional spawns in that 4 hour window, but they are limited in type based on captured planet manufacturing assets. Could be tied to faction being attacked and faction attacking.

Could have repair/rearm limitations based on manufacturing assets in planet. Need to repair that large laser? Better have a laser weaponry asset captured.

Repairs and rearm happen real time. Say 5 minutes for repair, 2 minutes for rearm. Yes this would be space magic, but much less so than what we currently have.

Edited by Dino Might, 30 July 2016 - 12:49 AM.

#9 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:55 AM

You could have transport capabilites to ferry supplies to a more forward base. Need ammo and repair equipment on the front lines? Light mech to the rescue. But beware of enemy interdiction. Each base has limited quantities that regen over time but can be augmented with supply runs.

This is all ripped off from a game where the players have already made this happen (read: it works), and it's the most continually popular server (game mode).

http://buddyspike.net/blueflag

#10 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:35 AM

View PostDino Might, on 27 July 2016 - 09:07 PM, said:

Redo FW.

If Russ came to read this topic, this is as far as he'd get.

Sweeping changes require him to pull people off of other projects and onto FP development. He admitted that the guy in charge of FP left in December and no one has been assigned that guy's job for seven months.

All the hubbub of the roundtable and the 30+ pages of posts amounted to him telling us that he's going to reduce the number of buckets. He didn't consider any of the feedback. He came to the meeting with a plan in his head and all he wanted from us was applause.

Even all the rage and people quitting FP and cancelling preorders over the Long Tom fell on deaf ears. When the topic came up at the roundtable, he said he wanted to keep it.. then let one player talk.. he said get rid of it.. Russ paused, then called on the next guy.. he said get rid of it.. Russ paused, then called on the next guy. If the third one wouldn't have said that maybe reducing damage would have made it viable, he would have kept going down the list until he found his yes-man.

..and that's all Russ wants: yes-men. He doesn't care about ideas that aren't his and he only has employees collect feedback to make us feel like we're heard.

No matter how much merit your argument has, no matter how much value your ideas have, there isn't anything that can be done to change his mind. The most eloquent and convincing suggestions in the world hold no value in his eyes, because they aren't his ideas.

Posted Image

#11 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 02:09 AM

So we get an idea sorted and then figure out a way to convince him he came up with it. I do that all the time at work. :)

I'm a bit frustrated, too, because this forum is the least used but most important. But hope springs eternal. I see what independent players make if given the right tools, and maybe that's the way he should go. Don't develop new game modes. Develop mission editing tools so the players can make the game modes they want.

I think that solves all of the problems.

#12 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:12 AM

Forgot one of my favorite ideas about this. The giant map for one planet is one type of environment. Different planets have different environments, but no more sulfur deserts on an ice planet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users