19 replies to this topic

#1 Hotrob

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:27 PM

I've been playing this MWO on and off since the beta, and have never been able to get it to run on 1080p. No matter what resolution I set, it only outputs 720p. Now before, I said fine, maybe it's an AMD thing, and my 7950 might not be able to push 1080p anyways, so I'll settle for the weird artifacting and enjoy t he higher framerates.

Now, I just picked up a GTX980. I know this should be able to push 1080p60 without breaking a sweat. However, as stated above, the game only pushes 720p. Fullscreen stretches it (while binding my curser to an invisible 720p window in the top left hand corner), and fullscreen window is just a borderless 720p window in the middle of my desktop.

I've tried reinstalling, and even fresh installs of windows. Currently, I'm running Windows 10 on an fx8320, 16 GB Ram, and the aforementioned GTX980.

Anyone have any ideas? I've tried all I can think of, and the closest I could find was another guy on the forums who basically said "oh wait I fixed it".

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:05 PM

It is not the game, it is either your monitor's setup or that resolution is not available with that monitor/LCD TV. And the stretching in Full window mode means the game is being redrawn to match the monitor/TV resolution.

1. Monitor/TV does not have that function
2. Settings of the above, be it game mode, etc.
3. Using the wrong video cable.

Brand/model of viewing device? Type of video cable being used?

#3 Hotrob

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:16 PM

I have had no problems like this with any other game* on this display. The display is a 1080p Sony Bravia KDL40ex500 using HDMI. I disabled display scaling and have my GPU do the scaling (*I had problems with older, low res games before I forced GPU scaling).

It's not that the option for 1080p doesn't appear, it's that no matter what I select, the only resolution the game outputs is 720p.

Whether I select 1024x768, 1280x720, 1920x1080, or even 3840x2160 using DSR, it's in an identically sized window and looks identacal, and my fps and gpu usage doesn't change.

I took a recording using OBS. It had some recording weirdness when I went fullscreen using alt tab, but it shows the resolutions 720p, 1080p, and 4k all using ~25% gpu in game and outputting at 1280x720 in the top left corner (this was scaled up to full screen on my end by my gpu). I also included footage of my sucessfully switching resolutions (fullscreen and windows) in Rimworld as an example to show what I expect to see happen when I change resolutions in MWO. I'll upload the video tomorrow or the next day when I have some time. I'll also tack on a shot of my nVidia control panel while I'm at it in case there's something weird there, but I can't think of anything in there that would mess it up.

Also, I apologise if I'm being terse. I'm not meaning to, and I appreciate the help, but I'm just frustrated at a situation I can't figure out that's been plaguing me (and apparently only me) for so many years.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

Just for reference, windows 10 on i5-3570 using an AMD HD 7950, so your 7950 should work just fine.

When I press the status key on my remote, it says my desktop is running at HMDI 2 PC (nickname) HD 1080p
I play the game in windowed mode. Do the same thing and my Vizio 46in LCD does not change the info, HMDI 2 PC (nickname) HD 1080p. Switched it to full screen mode @ 1920x1080, same result. Tested it on my Samsung 60in and same results above.

Just for clarification, the window that pops up on your TV says it is running at 720p happens when hitting the info key on the remote?

And you have the game set at 1920*1080, and your desktop set at the same? Before the game is loaded, when you press the info key, does info box say your desktop is running at 1080p? What happens if you start the game to windowed mode instead? And is the 720p showing up during actual combat?

Sorry, not finding much info online.

edit, have you updated the TV firmware?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 16 August 2016 - 05:24 PM.

#5 Hotrob

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:32 PM

The 7950 was on its last legs anyway (I have a sneaking suspicion that the display driver is about to die; lots of screen flickering and stuff), and I have some openGL stuff that runs better on nVidia hardware, so it was time for an upgrade anyway. But I appreciate the info that the 7950 should have been able to run it fine.

The TV is always at 1080p. My GPU is set to do all the scaling, so no matter what's going on on the computer, it only ever receives a 1080p signal.

Desktop is set to 1920x1080. No, I've never updated my TV's firmware; it's a dumb panel, so I can't see any reason to after 5 years of no issues. Other than some backlight bleed and some weird digital artifacting, the panel has no issues, and certainly none related to this.

I've uploaded a video which pretty much sums up my experience with the game, though there were some OBS glitches. I've annotated the recording errors, but the video should show the errors pretty succinctly. I also included my nVidia control panel settings at the end of the video.

Link to the video is here: https://youtu.be/ejOADdX2y6c

#6 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:35 AM

that was one of the strangest videos I've ever made it to the end of .....

firstly, stop playing with DSR ( dynamic super resolution ) or whatever it stands for .... because its probably the element that is making everything else act up ....

leave the panel on its native resolution .... I'm not 100% sure about yours, but generally, when you go above the native, the panel couldn't actually show you a higher pixel ratio than one .... now it can have an effect, in games, especially at distance ... but, if the engine, is worth anything, it should be able to draw the distance basically as well ....

I believe your problem lies between forcing the GPU to do the scaling, and using DSR at the same time .... last time I was messing with the two together, I was playing GTA5, and had some similar weirdness going on ...

#7 Hotrob

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:19 AM

Firstly Narc Bait, thank you for taking the time to watch the video and give some resolution suggestions.

However, the way nVidia's DSR works is it only kicks in when you select it in the menu (and the issue occurs when DSR is disabled, was occurring before I enabled it, and was occurring on my old 7950 without VSR enabled). I mostly use DSR in games or applications that don't have AA and don't like the driver forced AA.

I included the 4k as an example to show that it wasn't a window error, that the game is actually only rendering 720p no matter what I set it to, as 4k should use 5-6x more GPU resources than 720p (which it wasn't).

I have GPU scaling enabled, because a) I hate having my display go black for five seconds when I open up a non-native resolution game, and B) I've had issues with it in the past.

I will point out that I've never experienced an issue quite as weird or difficult to resolve as this one in all my years of gaming.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

Hotrod, question. You said you reinstalled the OS too. When you did the install, did you make any changes to the settings in the GPU control panel prior to launching MWO?

When you log into MWO, from viewing the video, because you have it setup @ a larger resolution than the native resolution, the TV may be keeping the game in 720p during that session. And your recordings will not register any menu boxes that the TV generates within itself.

* The 1080p timing when applied to the HDMI input will be treated as a video timing and not PC timing.
This affects Picture settings and Wide Mode settings. To view PC content set Scene Select to
Graphics, Wide Mode to Full, and Display Area to Full Pixel.

To reset the TV to factory default settings:
1 Turn on the TV.
2 Press and hold down the V button on the remote, press the POWER button on the TV set. (The TV
will turn itself off, then back on again.)
3 Release the V button when the TV is turn on.
IMPORTANT: The factory reset will clear all of your customized settings including the Parental Lock
setting.
When the Password is lost or cannot remember, enter the master password: 4357. This password clears your
previous password and allows you to enter a new password

In the Nvidia control panel, setup an application profile for MWO -use mechwarrioronline.exe and mwoclient.exe and reset everything to default, everything. If you have tried this, do it at the same time as resetting your TV.

Switch the HDMI plugin on the TV and the GPU.

#9 Hotrob

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:37 AM

I originally ran the beta on windows 7 with a Radeon 6670 (I think, it was a while ago). Then I got a whole new system (AMD 7850k on windows 8.1 with a 750ti). Then I got another new system running on 8.1 (FX8320 with a 7950), later upgraded to windows 10. Then I messed up my OS install trying to get RAID0 running (don't bother attempting this on an AMD Mobo with the SB950 hardware raid controller), so I did a fresh install of windows 10. Then I swapped video cards to a gtx980.

I've had the same panel for all of these systems. Always used GPU scaling, never had any issues running anything at 1080p (except framerate on the older systems, obviously).

The login in the video was at a larger resolution than the panel (4k instead of 1080p). I don't think that the issue is on the TV side of things, as I have my computer set to do GPU scaling and not display scaling (my TV only ever receives a 1080p signal, regardless of whatever is going on at the computer's end of things; any upscaling or downscaling is handled by the GPU).

Another issue with this; if the TV was downscaling everything to 720p, then my GPU workload would increase with the internal resolution (running internally at 720p should not use the same system resources as at 1080p or 4k). Or am I wrong in this?

However, I'll give this a try (even though I've spent hours calibrating this panel getting it just-so), as I've seen weirder issues solved by weirder solutions that shouldn't solve the problem :P

I will again state, however, that NO other game gives me these scaling issues. They'll render at 720p, 1080p, 1440p, 4k - whatever I tell them to. Tested Skyrim, Oblivion, Mass Effect 1-3, Fallout 3, Sins of a Solar Empire, Saints Row 2-4, Civ 3-5, Kerbal Space Program, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and many others. I mean, literally any other game, you just go into the settings, click the resolution you want, and it switches to that resolution. I don't know if the engine is weird, or if something dumb like my printer driver is making things weird.

Either way, I'll post back after I reset the display and I'll reinstall the driver again while I'm at it.

#10 Hotrob

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:36 PM

Let me tell you the tale of the past two hours. It is a long one, filled with frustration, tears, confusion, pleas to God, and

I go to reinstall the driver. I open GeForce Experience. There happens to be a driver update. Click install, check off do clean install, crack a beer and wait for the magic to happen.

After restarting the system, the desktop is in a tiny window in the middle of my screen (about 800x600). Weird, but this stuff happens when you reinstall a driver sometimes. I'll just right click on the desktop and open up control pan- wait, where's control panel?

I check and it's set to run at startup. Open up task manager and it's not running (only GeForce experience and backend). Very weird.

So I go to windows control panel, click on nVidia control panel. Noting happens, but it's now running in the task manager. I right click the desktop, and I just get the loading cursor icon. Everything else is running fine, windows, task bar, steam, but I can't interact with the desktop. I wait five minutes... Nothing.

I kill the task, and immediately windows display settings pops up. Restarted, did the same thing, same results.

So, I uninstall everything, restart (now it's the usual stretched image we all know and love with no drivers installed), delete all the folders, restart, download the manual driver, install, restart, back to tiny window. Same issue with control panel.

So I downloaded and ran DDU (Guru3D's Driver Delete Utility), cleared out everything (including any remnants of AMD stuff, just to be safe). Rinse and repeat. Same issue.

DDU again. Tried GeForce experience, and figured I'd just use express, as you'd do if you were an average user - maybe I'm messing something up somewhere with my advanced fiddling.

Same thing. Restart. I now notice that GeForce experience says I have a new update, and I can't click any of the tabs. Out of curiosity, I click install, and it does its thing, says it installed everything except physX, which it says is up to date. Restart, same issue; tiny window, no access to control panel, no access to any of the GeForce experience tabs, says there's an update.

I have clicked install update 4 times now, out of sheer desperation. I also posted this issue to nVidia's forums, as I'm pretty sure MWO didn't do this one, but I figured I'd post here too to keep you helpful people in the loop, and in case anyone knows a solution offhand.

This is like, the sixth rig I've built since 2008 - somewhere in the realm of second to fourth this year (depending on how you count it). I fixed a sound issue on my last rig that was caused by a DPC latency issue caused by the SATA AHCI driver. I'm not tech illiterate. I may not be a programmer, but I've had my fair share of computer issues, and I normally know how to fix them, or at least can figure it out with some Googling.

Seriously though, what am I doing wrong? Or does my computer just hate me with the burning passion of a thousand overclocked CPUs?

All I wanted was to be able to relax after work and shred some metal with an ultra AC20 get blown up by better players while trying to get kills with an Ultra AC20..... Sigh....

Anyway, thanks again for the help (and for listening to this rant/confused ramble)

#11 Hotrob

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:41 AM

Rolled back the driver and that fixed the broken computer. So at least that one wasn't on me :P

#12 Hotrob

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

So I've done a fresh install of the game on the fresh, untouched driver. Same issue where it only renders in 720p.

1080p desktop, GPU scaling enabled, display scaling disabled on my TV. In the MWO settings, the only thing I touched is the resolution, and it stays at 720p (either windowed in the centre of my desktop, or stretched to the fullscreen if I select fullscreen).

#13 Hotrob

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:34 AM

Did some more testing.

Last night, I accidentally got it actually rendering at 1080p (and like I hypothesized, it used ~80% GPU as opposed to the 720p's ~50%). I could ALT+Enter to switch between windowed 1080p and fullscreen with no problems. I played for a bit and restarted the client. It went back to 720p. I restarted the client again, let all three intro videos play, and it went back to 1080p! Tried it again, same thing.

Today I tried it again and... 720p.

So I deleted the save folder to try and clear everything, and downloaded the non-steam version. And it still only renders at 720p :(

#14 Hotrob

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:50 AM

Out of desperation, I printed out a list of every app/program I had installed and reinstalled windows 10. After the reinstall, with the only things installed being steam, chrome, MWO and the bare nVidia driver, the game works fine now.

I'll post another update in the future when/if I find out what application or setting was making it not work right.

#15 Hotrob

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

So I started installing things until the game stopped working again. When I uninstalled these drivers, the game started working properly again. It appears that the nVidia 3D Vision Driver / nVidia 3D Vision Controller Driver is what broke it - perhaps because I don't have a 3D vision compatible display. Now, I uninstalled this previously with DDU, so this isn't the whole story, but it's likely part of the problem at least.

#16 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:24 PM

If it's any consolation Rob, I've just started getting exactly the same problem. I haven't played MWO in a little while (coupla months, I'd imagine). I have a CrossFired R9 270X (AMD) system and have been playing MWO at 1920x1080 Full Screen on a 24" monitor with 1920x1080 as its native resolution with no problem at all.

I played a couple of games quite succesfully, then in the mechlab, all of a sudden in full screen, I could only move the mouse from the top left hand corner in a box about 2/3rds the total size of the screen. Of course because of where "log out" and "settings" are, I ended up having kill the .exe to get out. Have tried all sorts of things to fix this, but like you, the best I can get is a windowed, what appears to be 720p window in the middle of the screen. Pressing Alt+Enter maximises the window to full screen, but you can tell it's not upscaled properly.

I was initially playing in Steam (after moving from the stand alone client that I've been playing since closed beta - for no other reason than recording my play time and, well, that's where I play all my other games!). I'm currently downloading the stand alone client, but from what you said it doesn't sound like it's going to make any difference.

Earlier on today, I did get notified of a driver update and after the update and the subsequent reboot it was behaving fine. Played for about an hour and quite out. Re-launched later on and same problem again. I think once the stand alone client has finished, I'm going to clear out and resinstall drivers. From your experience (and linking that with mine) I think that's going to be the most likely culprit. It's a little odd that it's only just affected us both though given no other problems with other games and that we both have entirely different graphics cards (not even the same manufacturer!)

*EDIT*

Following a full remove and reinstall of MWO client (to stand-alone) and a removal and resinstall of latest AMD drivers (inluding running the AMD Clean Uninstaller and CCleaner to get rid of orphaned registry entries) the problem persists - although the first time I ran it after the driver reinstall and reboot it was fine. When I closed MWO then went back in again, same problem again. Now no matter what I do I get the same problem. Can't believe I have to re-install the gfx drivers every time I want to play MWO!

Edited by James DeGriz, 17 September 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#17 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:17 AM

Found the source of my problem. CAM software that drives the HUE+ system in my case was at fault. The FPS overlay seemed to be restricting the ability for the window to change size from the log in screen. Turned all that off and it's all fine now.

#18 Hotrob

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:43 AM

Just figured this out yesterday, that NZXT CAM overlay was causing the issue. The thing that threw me off is that occasionally it would work with CAM running. It might not have been the nVidia 3D vision drivers at all. I'll do some more testing today.

#19 Hotrob

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:03 PM

I've reinstalled the 3D vision drivers, and everything appears to be working a-ok. Looks like the CAM overlay was causing the issue.

#20 Zykrox

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:28 AM

Holy cow!!!

reading through everything here having the same problems as OP i come to the bottom of this thread after trying everyting suggested and turned CAM off..

Bam it works fine at 1440p now....

I have been pulling my hair out over this for so long.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users