#41 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

View PostSorbic, on 20 August 2016 - 04:36 PM, said:

Plenty of times but you're currently upset and only looking through one eye.

I see what you did there...

#42 Idealsuspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

View PostImyerHuckleberry, on 20 August 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

So inherent sensor range boost of 150m for you and 100m for your teammates makes up for a lack of armor?

What again a topic from someone who dont know they can max armor point ... I bet he is Tier1 ( fake tier ty PSR )

Edit: oh yes he is, and its a founder ... 4 years in this game and maybe he never add armor point to stock mechs he purchase? Posted Image

View PostImyerHuckleberry, on 20 August 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

(I wont even get into the speed aspect)

Protip you can change engine... cyclop max engine is 400 ... also all engines avaiable...

Edited by Idealsuspect, 20 August 2016 - 05:30 PM.

#43 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:05 PM

I don't mind getting those scouting bonuses. :3

#44 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:10 PM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 20 August 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

What again a topic from someone who dont know they can max armor point ... I bet he is Tier1 ( fake tier ty PSR )

Edit: oh yes he is, and its a founder ... 4 years in this game and maybe he never add armor point to stock mechs he purchase? Posted Image

Protip you can change engine... cyclop max engine is 400 ... also all engines avaiable...

Indeed, the Cyclops can get pretty zippy for a 90 tonner, with some good armor, of course at the cost of bigger weapons or as many weapons. However, with the stock 360 you still can do some fun stuff with enough armor and plenty of weapons. Going to be a fun mech. Might even be XL friendly, depending on how the hitboxes on the nose an head are. By XL friendly I mean it will be hard not to hit the CT.

#45 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:23 PM

It's a lackluster mech that PGI gave a silly nearly useless ability to so people would exclaim "Nostalgia! Lore! Shiny!" and buy.

#46 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 20 August 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

I wonder what combined sensor module, and bap would get ya. Another 400 m?

Assuming the 150 boost applies before the other mods, BAP + CC + Module should give a max sensor range of 1487m. Compared to 1248m with all that stuff on any other mech.

#47 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:00 PM

View PostDavers, on 20 August 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

It's a lackluster mech that PGI gave a silly nearly useless ability to so people would exclaim "Nostalgia! Lore! Shiny!" and buy.

If the Mauler is lack luster to you then, I guess so. Because this thing is just a mauler that is more asymmetrical, doesn't have massive arms and missile pods and a higher engine cap. So if that is lack luster, well, I guess the Kodiak is the only Assault that isn't?

#48 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:06 PM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 20 August 2016 - 07:00 PM, said:

If the Mauler is lack luster to you then, I guess so. Because this thing is just a mauler that is more asymmetrical, doesn't have massive arms and missile pods and a higher engine cap. So if that is lack luster, well, I guess the Kodiak is the only Assault that isn't?

No, I think the Mauler will outperform it. So, are you buying performance or nostalgia?

If you are a pokemech collector, I can see the appeal. It does have an interesting and unique look. But once you take it out of the mechbay, I feel it will lose it's value. :)

#49 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:21 PM

View PostDavers, on 20 August 2016 - 07:06 PM, said:

No, I think the Mauler will outperform it. So, are you buying performance or nostalgia?

If you are a pokemech collector, I can see the appeal. It does have an interesting and unique look. But once you take it out of the mechbay, I feel it will lose it's value. Posted Image

I got the Cyclops due to the it resonated with me much like the Crab, Phoenix Hawk, and Marauder have, all three of which I rather enjoy playing, I don't own maulers other than on the PTS and there I find them just a bit too slow even with max engine with the loadouts I am putting onto the Cyclops itself. I like to be agile so the Cyclops with high engine cap was automatically an interest to me. It can do mixed builds reasonably well, and it can also do SRM4 vomit. I had 0 nostalgia and hate the original model as it looks ugly. So the Cyclops gives me a 90 ton fast assault that can do builds that work well with me but on a faster mech (all be it a bit hotter, but, it was super cool on the Mauler even in smurfy, so, that is fine). Mauler only out performs it when you go full on ballistic boating from what I have seen.

To be fair a friend of mine bought it for me as a late birthday gift since I had started pining over the mech after messing around with it in megamek lab to see what was viable with the stock STD360 engine and found it appealing.

Edited by Moonlight Grimoire, 20 August 2016 - 07:23 PM.

#50 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:34 PM

I look at the Cyclops like this:

It is a 90 ton IS assault mech, one variant of which has ECM. It will fill the same role as the Atlas and has similar hardpoint layouts. Where the Atlas has toughness quirks, the Cyclops will be slightly faster, more nimble, and has that sensor thing. And at 10 tons lighter, the Cyclops will be easier to fit into a drop deck.

That's it. If that doesn't float your boat, then don't buy it. There's no need to lambast the company or other players just because the newest mech isn't uber enough for your liking. Some of us do like the nostalgia of the thing, and will be throwing a few bucks at it. Ain't no crime.

#51 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:52 AM

View PostElizander, on 20 August 2016 - 06:05 PM, said:

I don't mind getting those scouting bonuses. :3

The problem with the Cyclops with regards to scouting bonuses is that it shares the sensor range with your buddies. The best way to rack up scouting bonuses is to have 1000-1200 m sensor range and most definitely NOT share that with your team mates. Posted Image

#52 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:59 AM

View Postjss78, on 21 August 2016 - 01:52 AM, said:

The problem with the Cyclops with regards to scouting bonuses is that it shares the sensor range with your buddies. The best way to rack up scouting bonuses is to have 1000-1200 m sensor range and most definitely NOT share that with your team mates. Posted Image

If a teammate "scouts" out an enemy while under the effects of your buff, you should get "scouting assist" xD and some c-bills for that.

#53 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:01 AM

wow... when they said it would be an infotech mech they meant a sensor range quirk of 100meters?

Anyone that isnt in range of your team in the first 60seconds of the match is useless for his team , dont waste time targeting him.

Edited by DAYLEET, 21 August 2016 - 02:11 AM.

#54 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:43 AM

View PostCathy, on 20 August 2016 - 02:33 PM, said:

Once its out for C-bills perhaps it'll get buffed

That's not the way PGI works. Once it's out for C-bills, it'll get smacked with the bat...

The sensor range boost becomes proportionally more beneficial once the energy draw goes live and all the weapon ranges get reduced markedly.

Edited by Random Carnage, 21 August 2016 - 02:44 AM.

#55 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:45 AM

Can't wait to tell people ingame that LRMs have a max range

Can see it already, sensors on the cyclops ranching out to ~1500m (with bap and sensor range module)
And 1 or 2 LRM boats on you're team wasting ammo

Should've give it an ecm targeting range boost, or extending bap ecm counter
Or maybe it could target 1 mech through ecm

Gonna end up being one of those assaults you don't see so often
Maybe it has a place in FP since that's more a game of attrition

View PostDee Eight, on 20 August 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

I'll be able to stand back OUTSIDE of enemy missile range, and for that matter many enemy direct fire weapon ranges and still lock targets for people operating closer to the front.. that's exactly the role cyclops mechs were meant for... to COMMAND forces and oversee a large battlefield.

I know what you're saying here, but trying to flank the enemy in an assault is gonna get you killed by lights and fast mediums
Or even if the rest of the team wandered off and left you
Gauss has a max range of nearly 2000m at the moment
On the PTS it's reduced to 1300 something
But the removal of the charge up sequence would see more widespread use of the Gauss

Also every LRM boat should bring they're own BAP at least
And hopefully a TAG to go through ecm and get a target lock time reduction

#56 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:47 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 21 August 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

Can't wait to tell people ingame that LRMs have a max range

That already happens now... I sometimes troll people standing my Wolverine next to their mad dog. I have beagle probe + advanced sensor range installed... I get radar contacts at 1200 meters. I also have a 10% missile range quirk and a LRM range module installed for another 10%. So I lock a target, I shoot at said target. Teammates see same locked target, and lock it also and try and fire on it, to steal the kill (this is especially true during this weekend's leaderboard) hurling their LRM boats into the fray. Except...mine are the only LRMs actually hitting the target so I get the kill, KMDD, etc. Their LRMs fall short and detonate (because apparently in the future, we cannot have unexploded ordinance littering the battlefields), although sometimes they do trigger enemy AMS systems along the way, making it easier for my missiles to get thru as theirs are fired upon.

#57 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:51 AM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 20 August 2016 - 07:00 PM, said:

massive arms are kind of useful. The absorb a lot of incoming fire. And almost no one equips the missiles on the maulers, significantly reducing that issue. It will have speed on it's side though.

#58 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:52 AM

Wait.. just 150 meters..THAT is what I bought? No boosts to targeting information speed, no boosts to BAP/ ECM Counter modes, not a boost to lock times for allies..

just range. Wow.

Now I AM a little salty.. oh well at least it looks cool.

#59 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:54 AM

View PostMavairo, on 21 August 2016 - 06:52 AM, said:

Wait.. just 150 meters..THAT is what I bought? No boosts to targeting information speed, no boosts to BAP/ ECM Counter modes, not a boost to lock times for allies..

just range. Wow.

Now I AM a little salty.. oh well at least it looks cool.

Hey at least you occasionally get people using LRMs and big fat assaults still standing in the open... maybe it'll have a slight boost to those matches.

But I'm glad mine was a gift.

#60 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:00 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 August 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:

Hey at least you occasionally get people using LRMs and big fat assaults still standing in the open... maybe it'll have a slight boost to those matches.

But I'm glad mine was a gift.

I just..ugh. Just ugh. Why can't PGI just do something right for once?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users