Easy Changes To Improve Gameplay

5 replies to this topic

Poll: Go ahead and rate these ideas 1-5, 5 being the best (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Addition #1

1. 5 (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. 4 (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. 3 (1 votes [10.00%])

4. 2 (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Addition #2

1. 5 (9 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

2. 4 (1 votes [10.00%])

3. 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Addition #3

1. 5 (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. 4 (1 votes [10.00%])

3. 3 (1 votes [10.00%])

4. 2 (2 votes [20.00%])

5. 1 (1 votes [10.00%])

Addition #4

1. 5 (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. 4 (1 votes [10.00%])

3. 3 (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

4. 2 (1 votes [10.00%])

5. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Addition #5

1. 5 (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. 4 (1 votes [10.00%])

3. 3 (2 votes [20.00%])

4. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 1 (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Commander Lemming

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:56 PM

Let me preface this with the fact that I am a steam user, brought into this game through some friends and some nostalgia that is wearing thin (about a year ago). Here are my thoughts before this game dies a slow death on steam and the BattleTech turn-based strategy steals all of the nostalgia players (PGI's revenue).

For the reactor draw system:
I like the idea of this in general. It needs work, but it will most likely improve the game experience, adding a bit more depth to combat. However, I decided now would be a good time to voice my opinions on SIMPLE changes that could have a much larger impact on the playerbase size and happiness.

Ways PGI could make the game more amiable to new players without spending tons of time (that probably won't be implemented):

1. Giving the player 15-20 mechbays to start.
4 mechbays as a beginner is a **** move, and doesn't give the player time to emotionally attach themselves to the game. Plus, it makes the moneygrab even more obvious than usual. Almost every person with a brain can tell that the mechbays in CW (that take forever to get) are nowhere near enough to build a stable, and no new prospective player is going to wait half a year for an event where they can earn 3 mechbays, or play every other weekend to get 100 mc at a time to save up for them.

2. Making an in-game tutorial on mech building, so players aren't completely confused.
Players have made tutorials for the community, but a prospective player new to battletech won't invest the time to research. Also would have averted most of the ghost heat confusion if the game explained it to the new players.

3. Giving players a bit more money.
Premium time puts the average new player at a reasonable farm-rate. 200-300k a match means a 25mil mech can be made in 100 matches, at about 7.5 mins a match that's 12.5 hours - for one good mech assuming they play around with builds and possibly touch on modules. Now at 100k-200k a match, a new player can have a 25 mil mech in about 167 matches, at 7.5 mins you get around 21 hours - for one mech. Now this doesn't factor in events, or CW but this is just from a new prospective player's point of view. Putting the normal rate at premium rate and increasing the premium rate equally would be amazing for the playerbase, saving 8.5 hours on average across most mechs, and allowing people to fill up their mechbays faster to buy more (hint hint).

4. For the love of god change domination.
Make the circle a bit larger, the timer a bit longer, and make the counter based on the percentage of the team in the circle so pug matches aren't always 1 light mech with their toe in the objective while the rest of each team sits outside. If a team has a higher percentage of players in the circle, the timer starts. With the circle reasonably larger, ranged mechs would be able to still jerk off in the back, but they'd need at least to be in the circle. With a longer timer, there would be opportunity to jump out of the circle for a moment to flank or use wolfpacks on ranged mechs.

5. PvE would be great, but would take longer to code.
Giving cbills for PvE would bring a lot more fun casual players, rather than the stark, passive-aggressive desert this game has become. This would be a massive undertaking though, since AI takes forever to code. This would be more of a long-term suggestion.

I don't want to try to explain a game to its own developers, and I'm not much of a writer (If you can tell by my number of posts). However, I've put 600+ hours into this game and am still passionate about it as a steam player. I came into this game last year, and there were and still are many things wrong with it and it's marketing policy.

Edit: Added a poll to make it easier for people to give feedback Posted Image
Edit II: Dropped some of my ramblings about CW and heat draw since they weren't as relevant.
Edit III: 50 mil for a mech was ludicrous. Dropping calculations to 25 mil.

Edited by Commander Lemming, 22 August 2016 - 03:13 PM.

#2 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:21 PM

Copy/Paste of what I said on the Outreach HPG:

1: EDIT: Changing my thoughts on this. I think we should be able to earn MechBays in-game. Either via a sum of c-bills or some other kind of long-term achievement. The rate has slowed down, and CW isn't a place for newbies.

It is one of their main sources of income. I think out of the 80+ 'Mechs I have, I've only bought maybe 8 bays.

I'm fine with it as it is. I don't feel we need to be handed 15-20.

2: Seconded. I'd love to see new players learn a little about 'Mech building before they get tossed in.

3: We already get like ~20 million between the starting area and the cadet bonus. That's perfectly fine.

4: "Make the circle a bit larger, the timer a bit longer, and make the counter based on the percentage of the team in the circle"

Holy **** yes. Please. Yes please.

5: "stark, passive-aggressive desert this game has become."

Aaaaand now PGI is going to ignore your post for sure, if they weren't already. Doesn't exactly earn you any points to say stuff like that, regardless of whether or not it's true.

Edited by Night Thastus, 21 August 2016 - 03:21 PM.

#3 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

I agree on starting mechbays and starting money for new players.

20 mil is not enough for many players as they buy a mech they cannot get to work for them and then they are stuck.
should be enough to buy 2-3 mechs for starters. Maybe double the cadet rewards and stretch them over 50 games.

And with the Mastery system as it is there needs to be at least 6, 9 or 12 starting mechbays (multiples of 3).

---- **** ----

And Post advice. Never start with 'easy way to fix...' because its untrue.
Try to keep to one short topic at a time, talking about too many things dilutes the impact of your post.
Using 'Steam' and 'Veteran' in the same sentence seems like an Oxy Moron to me in MWO context.

#4 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:41 PM

In Warthunder (another F2P title), there are no mechbays (hangars). You unlock a plane/tank with XP and then buy them with in game currency. I played a couple of weeks and had over 100 machines in my possession, without playing a dime.

MWO is extremely stingy in that regard. The grind is bad enough that mechbays should be free.

Edited by Kmieciu, 21 August 2016 - 10:41 PM.

#5 Commander Lemming

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

View PostNight Thastus, on 21 August 2016 - 02:21 PM, said:

Copy/Paste of what I said on the Outreach HPG:

1: EDIT: Changing my thoughts on this. I think we should be able to earn MechBays in-game. Either via a sum of c-bills or some other kind of long-term achievement. The rate has slowed down, and CW isn't a place for newbies.

It is one of their main sources of income. I think out of the 80+ 'Mechs I have, I've only bought maybe 8 bays.

I'm fine with it as it is. I don't feel we need to be handed 15-20.

3: We already get like ~20 million between the starting area and the cadet bonus. That's perfectly fine.

5: "stark, passive-aggressive desert this game has become."

Aaaaand now PGI is going to ignore your post for sure, if they weren't already. Doesn't exactly earn you any points to say stuff like that, regardless of whether or not it's true.

I understand mechbays are their main source of income, so cbill cost would be unreasonable. My main idea for the 15-20 starting bays would be to allow new players to get a bit more attached to the game. By the time people fill 4 mechbays, they are at a point where they can still drop the game without any feeling of loss. 15-20 would allow more attachment.

The stark and passive aggressive comment was more towards the community and the "Don't stand in front of me but lead the push for me" or the "I've played longer so I'm better" or sometimes even "Your mech is bad because I don't like it" mentality that plagues this game. Normally it's not seen as often in other games with larger communities since frustrated long-time players are spread out, but the angst is very concentrated in this game and it drives off new players often.

If the Devs actually do read these posts, then I don't believe I need to brown nose them to get my point across.

View PostKamikaze Viking, on 21 August 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

Post advice. Never start with 'easy way to fix...' because its untrue.
Try to keep to one short topic at a time, talking about too many things dilutes the impact of your post.
Using 'Steam' and 'Veteran' in the same sentence seems like an Oxy Moron to me in MWO context.

Thanks for the advice. I put "easy ways to fix" due to the fact that most of these issues only involve changing small variables in the code. ex: change starting.Mechbays = 4 to starting.Mechbays = 15. 2 could be done by an outstanding member of the community. Hell, it could even be a competition.

Depending on their code structure and the way cryengine (I haven't tried it yet) runs, this could be false, so I could be wrong assuming 1,3, and 4 are easier to change than adding a heat draw system. 5 and 6 do not fit into the easy category, I just got caught up listing things that can be changed in my opinion, which is how my argument got a bit split up.

Lastly, "Steam Veteran" just means that I'm one of the steam players that have actually stayed
Players have become leveled out, but only about half of the active players from steam are still present on MWO, assuming some of these people were people who already had the game before the steam release, I am of a rare breed at the moment. Sorry if it sounded in any way condescending.

View PostKmieciu, on 21 August 2016 - 10:41 PM, said:

In Warthunder (another F2P title), there are no mechbays (hangars). You unlock a plane/tank with XP and then buy them with in game currency. I played a couple of weeks and had over 100 machines in my possession, without playing a dime.

MWO is extremely stingy in that regard. The grind is bad enough that mechbays should be free.

They have a small community that they have to leech from, sadly. Warthunder has a community much larger
With about 10x the number of active players per day as MWO. They get a lot more random micro-transactions than MWO, so PGI has to push quite a few of their profit techniques on players.

Edited by Commander Lemming, 22 August 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#6 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:52 PM

View PostCommander Lemming, on 22 August 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

They have a small community that they have to leech from, sadly. Warthunder has a community much larger
With about 10x the number of active players per day as MWO. They get a lot more random micro-transactions than MWO, so PGI has to push quite a few of their profit techniques on players.

The community could have been much larger if players did not hit the paywall so fast. I bet there are thousands of players that filled their 4 free machbays and just say "nope" and quit.

MWO is a freemium game:
Posted Image

-

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users