20 replies to this topic

#1 arcang3L 337

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

Hello all!

So, having played for a couple weeks, I've managed to have fun and build up about 35m C-bills playing around in the various trial mechs and doing the last couple events, and I think it is about time that I stop earning XP that can't be spent (at least, not yet, heh). However, I'm not entirely sure which to buy, since the variety is nuts, so I'll create another one of these in hopes of getting some good input.

To start with, I'll just give my thoughts on the trials that I've played with for more than a couple matches:
  • Locust + Arctic Cheetah: These are a lot of fun to play, but at the end of the day, I prefer shooting to scouting, and the risk:reward for these close-ranged mechs just didn't seem to work out in actual combat
  • Stormcrow: This might be my favorite chassis; it moved quickly enough to get some good flanks on enemies, the lasers were reasonably rewarding, especially when finding somebody's backside, and I enjoyed being able to re-position almost as fast as the lights. My only real gripes were that I wish it had a touch more range (I've found ~400m to be my "comfort zone", as it were, and it ran so hot that when I did get into a sustained fight (usually hunting down lights that were harassing my larger mechs), I found myself shutting down embarrassingly often.
  • Shadow Cat: I enjoyed the extra mobility from the Jump Jets, I liked the extra range on the lasers, and the ECM frequently came in handy, but it just didn't feel like I had the firepower to be more than a nuisance.
  • Trebuchet: Occasionally, it was fun to be on the giving end of the LRM spam. Having the capability to do that kind of build on a chassis would be a bonus, but otherwise, I wasn't too big on this mech,
  • Timber Wolf: I had a couple of really great moments in this mech; it hits like a goddamn truck, and it took decent punishment in return. However, I really missed the mobility of the lighter chassis; I felt like I couldn't really operate independently when the situation presented itself, like I could in the smaller mechs.
  • Ebon Jaguar: Kind of like the Shadow Cat to the Stormcrow; the extra range was occasionally nice, but I generally preferred the extra punch of the Timber Wolf. Plus, having to muck around with the Gauss Rifle wasn't very fun unless we were just plinking at each other from a distance.
  • Jaegermech: Kind of like the Trebuchet; having the ability to run this kind of build would be a nice bonus, but I wouldn't miss it.
  • Battlemaster: Easily my favorite of the Assaults. Hit like a tank and took forever to die. But it was so damn slow.
  • Warhawk: Like the Battlemaster, but again, ******* around with the Gauss rifles rarely added anything to the experience.
  • Dire Wolf: Sooooooo slow, but rolled through things like a wrecking ball when you did get there.
Basically, I am looking for something that is suited to more of a skirmishing playstyle: running up flanks to look for good opportunities to exploit, but backing off from a straight-up fight unless I have a big advantage. I'd also like something with a bit of build variety, since vomiting lasers at people, while effective, would probably get dull after eliting three variants (specifically, I'd really like to try out some autocannon builds). I am leaning more towards the faster mediums, since they seemed to work best at this, but am not necessarily opposed to lights or even a faster Heavy, if they'd fit the bill better. Bonus points if the chassis can also work for other builds (brawling, sniping, LRMs, etc.), but not really necessary.

Thanks!

#2 Grrzoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • 496 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:29 PM

basically, i think, you are looking for a heavy medium (50-55 tons) to light heavy (60-75 tons) chassis for the role of flanker skirmisher. But currently the best mech suited to that role, and with many different loadout styles available would be the hbk-iic.

From long range snipe to mass attack brawl it fit sthe build and speed, and well rounded enough for you to cut your teeth on.

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:32 PM

It's dangerous to go alone. Take this.

Don't forget, Once you purchase a mech, you can deisgn your own loadout.

Might I suggest.. SCR-C
Or, did you know the Cauldron Born has more tonnage than the Mad Cat for weaponry?
Remember, You can change Engine sizes and make a faster Battlemaster.

Decide which mech can fit the weapons you like, and has the form you desire, and then test build it. If you can make it in smurfy, then buy it and enjoy ^__^

Personally though, from the sounds of it, you'd enjoy the Ryoken (Or storm crow, as you clanners call it. I can run a ballistic an missiles as well as the lasers.)

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 22 August 2016 - 08:50 PM.

#4 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:34 PM

Timber Wolf is one of the most versatile mechs in the game, it can fill many roles and fill them rather well.
Its a steep price to get into them, but worth every c bill and then some.
Ebon Jag can also fit very similar roles. It generally will have a firepower advantage over the Timber, at a cost of being less durable and no jump jets.
Hellbringer also brings a good deal of options to the table, though not quite as much as the Timber or Ebon. Hellbringer can only mount up to 2 missile weapons (thr Timber and EBJ can do 4) but you get the added benefit of ECM.

The only IS heavy that really fits a lot of different roles well (in my opinon anyways) is the Warhammer, and thats really only if you own all 4 variants, one of which being a cash only Hero mech (damn good buy though).
Marauder comes pretty close too.

For mediums the Stormcrow is also quite versatile. Does not do multiple ballistics and no jump jet option.
The Hunchback IIC probably offers the most variety for clan mediums and can fit almost any role under the son, but not being an omni-mech you are again forced to buy several chasis to keep all your options open.

For IS medium versatility look at the Hunchback and Shadowhawk

#5 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:53 PM

I'd suggest a Marauder. This is one is my favorite IS heavies, good hardpoints and mobility with a precision punch as long as you're a good shot. Triple large pulse and gauss: MAD-5M

I am not a fan of dakka builds on lighter heavies. An XL Marauder is like paper, and what you want is fast precision strikes and that's exactly what this build offers you. You cannot afford to trade dakka with a mech like this.

Edited by NeoCodex, 23 August 2016 - 12:01 AM.

#6 doughnut001

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:42 AM

I'd suggest making another decision before choosing which mech to buy:

Are you going to do faction warfare and who do you want to fight for, inner sphere or clan?

Since you need to play 3 variants of any one mech in order to master the skills for that mech you need to buy a few mechs to build a decent drop deck. For this reason it's probably a good idea to make sure the first mech you buy and master is going to be usable to you in faction war.

#7 spuge

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:42 AM

i recomend near all clan mechs and reasons are simple.

1. and most inportant clan weaponry is op vs innerspere? Litle foolis but facts can be looked in wiki or mechbay
- beter range
- better damage
- cost less tonnage and space

2. if you dont know what you really whant take clan it can do everyting. =/ Agein clan can use any weaponry it likes by chanching parts.
- good way to test different builds and get used to fitting mechs.
- good way to find your own play style. no need to change mech when one can be brawler, sniper and midrane dps god.

and list for mechs i recomend.
Light: Jenner II (standar light mech) or adder (light mech whit firepower and speed of med mech)

medium: Shadow cat. (wery fast medium mech whit jump-jets and ecm and mask it already god tier but this is not all clan weaponry.... guess what you have here? simply outclass every med mech in game.

Heavy: Mad dog, Ebon jaguar, timber wolf. (good mechs agein but dont let class mislead you. they are support mechs)

Assault: Dire wolf (slow as hell but 2x more weapons you can use =/ hard mech for starter. place and heat management get lot to master)

ps. weaponry what ever mech you take take 2x c-large pulse laser and you are fine go.

#8 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:07 AM

View Postspuge, on 23 August 2016 - 12:42 AM, said:

i recomend near all clan mechs and reasons are simple.

1. and most inportant clan weaponry is op vs innerspere? Litle foolis but facts can be looked in wiki or mechbay
- beter range
- better damage
- cost less tonnage and space

2. if you dont know what you really whant take clan it can do everyting. =/ Agein clan can use any weaponry it likes by chanching parts.
- good way to test different builds and get used to fitting mechs.
- good way to find your own play style. no need to change mech when one can be brawler, sniper and midrane dps god.

and list for mechs i recomend.
Light: Jenner II (standar light mech) or adder (light mech whit firepower and speed of med mech)

medium: Shadow cat. (wery fast medium mech whit jump-jets and ecm and mask it already god tier but this is not all clan weaponry.... guess what you have here? simply outclass every med mech in game.

Heavy: Mad dog, Ebon jaguar, timber wolf. (good mechs agein but dont let class mislead you. they are support mechs)

Assault: Dire wolf (slow as hell but 2x more weapons you can use =/ hard mech for starter. place and heat management get lot to master)

ps. weaponry what ever mech you take take 2x c-large pulse laser and you are fine go.

Clan weapons are not better, it might seem so on paper but in practice they are gimped to hell. Lasers burn longer, PPCs are hotter, LRMs fire in streams, SRMs have bigger spread and ACs fire in bursts. All of this makes any clan weapon extremely hard to use. All those stats on paper you're not making use of and you'll be overheating like hell. The practicality of Clan weapons is very unreliable, and a with a lot of those numbers you are actually not hitting anything. It doesn't matter if ballistics are lighter, the shot is split into three, and at least one or two of them will miss. Lasers burn longer, the heat you spend will not have full efficiency compared to a very short IS laser burn, it also prolongs your face time - very bad for a beginner! And I could go on and on.

As for the Mechs, these are all terrible suggestions. Most clan mechs are outclassed by IS quirks and their short laser durations in the first place, and for particular Clan choices these are really bad.

Jenner-II, Adder.. Where is Arctic Cheetah, the best light in the game?

Continuing on, Shadow Cat and Mad Dog are complete trash mechs that are extremely hard to use, just forget about it, this is not a good suggestion. Best clan medium since release date and up to this day remains Storm Crow and everybody knows that. Dire Wolf I would not recommend to beginner, it's the slowest mech in the game, he will constantly get left behind. Ebon Jaguar requires some finesse, the only safe bet is Timber Wolf but even that you might be better off with some IS alternatives like Black Knight as Clan lasers are much less wieldy to use.

Do not be fooled, clan tech has been nerfed into ground since release. Most best meta mechs are IS due to their ability of laser boating that the quirks are allowing for these mechs to have superior firepower efficiency and higher alphas due to higher heat sink capacity. Another type of mech that IS is good for are the UAC5 boaters and that's about it.

Even tough quirks have been toned down for IS their weapons are still easier to use and that's what matters most. You get the most bang per your buck/tonnage spent/shots fired compared to Clan, where it's like you're paying a huge tax for anything you put on by making your weapon systems behave like crap.

What Clanners are good at are higher ranges, lighter ballistics (3 tons lighter gauss with no disadvantages, if you want to use gauss might as well play a Clanner) and more hardpoint space so you can fit more DHS and XL everything and can in theory do more damage if you hit all those UAC rounds, which in majority of the situations you will not. Everything runs hotter, lasers burn longer and alpha heat peak point is lower. They are good at sustained long range poking (a good example would be a long range ERL Hellbringer) if you know how and get a chance to make use of that, since not all matches end up the same. I have found the extreme range builds (notably Clans) more advantageous in faction play in the past, but it's been a while since I played it.

In no way of form I would recommend a Clan mech to a new player at the current point of balance, they are very delicate and specific to use.

Instead of giving this poor man bad ideas just simply direct him to the metamechs website to at least avoid the bad ones like Mad Dog and Shadow Cat.

Edited by NeoCodex, 23 August 2016 - 01:32 AM.

#9 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:25 AM

View PostNeoCodex, on 23 August 2016 - 01:07 AM, said:

Best clan medium since release date and up to this day remains Storm Crow and everybody knows that.

Actually, you are incorrect. I suggest you take a look at the Leaderboards for the Event. Notice the distinct Nova flavour to the medium-weight bracket? As it should be.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 23 August 2016 - 01:28 AM.

#10 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:33 AM

View Postarcang3L 337, on 22 August 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

Basically, I am looking for something that is suited to more of a skirmishing playstyle: running up flanks to look for good opportunities to exploit, but backing off from a straight-up fight unless I have a big advantage. I'd also like something with a bit of build variety, since vomiting lasers at people, while effective, would probably get dull after eliting three variants (specifically, I'd really like to try out some autocannon builds). I am leaning more towards the faster mediums, since they seemed to work best at this, but am not necessarily opposed to lights or even a faster Heavy, if they'd fit the bill better. Bonus points if the chassis can also work for other builds (brawling, sniping, LRMs, etc.), but not really necessary.

Thanks!

It's simple:
1) You can buy Hunchback IIC.
- high hardpoints
- one variant for running Autocannons
- one laser vomit model
- one missile + laser model

2) or you can buy Nobori-nin (a.k.a. Huntsman)
- https://mwomercs.com/huntsman
- cool looking
- five configurations + one Hero 'Mech
- you can build your 'Mech using all kinds of omnipods that you can combine

#11 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:34 AM

View PostLeone, on 23 August 2016 - 01:25 AM, said:

Actually, you are incorrect. I suggest you take a look at the Leaderboards for the Event. Notice the distinct Nova flavour to the medium-weight bracket? As it should be.

~Leone.

Ah, good point. Completely forgot about the Nova, that thing has been dead to me since release. Didn't take a look at the leaderboards. Seems the rescale really helped it. Glad to see Nova is finally doing well!

Maybe it's time to dust off mine - believe it or not, they're still in the packaging foil that they came with the Invasion pack, mint condition! lol.

Edited by NeoCodex, 23 August 2016 - 01:37 AM.

#12 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:38 AM

View Postmartian, on 23 August 2016 - 01:33 AM, said:

It's simple:
1) You can buy Hunchback IIC.
- high hardpoints
- one variant for running Autocannons
- one laser vomit model
- one missile + laser model

2) or you can buy Nobori-nin (a.k.a. Huntsman)
- https://mwomercs.com/huntsman
- cool looking
- five configurations + one Hero 'Mech
- you can build your 'Mech using all kinds of omnipods that you can combine

I would agree HIIC is a very good mech but in general I would advise to avoid any Clan tech for a new players, as I explained due to how their weapons work and most of those numbers are wasted in practice.

Edited by NeoCodex, 23 August 2016 - 01:39 AM.

#13 Whiskey Dharma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 141 posts
  • Location100 ms from Europe

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:57 AM

As a newb IS player, I've had good luck with the Shadowhawk for brawling with a combination of SRM4's and medium lasers. You could put an AC/10 in the shoulder slot for more brawling goodness, although I've had more luck with the UAC/5, which allows me to do some damage (and suppression) in the opening minutes of a battle.

#14 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:22 AM

View PostNeoCodex, on 23 August 2016 - 01:38 AM, said:

I would agree HIIC is a very good mech but in general I would advise to avoid any Clan tech for a new players, as I explained due to how their weapons work and most of those numbers are wasted in practice.

If Clan weapons are better or worse is a matter of opinion.

However, Clan 'Mechs such as Nobori-nin or Hunchback IIC have the huge advantage of Clan Extralight engines. Inner Sphere 'Mechs can either run heavy standard engines and suffer weak firepower, or they run fragile IS XL engines and die often on side torso loss.

Beginning player in a Clan 'Mech can stay in combat and learn something even after his 'Mech has been damaged, while for IS pilot side torso loss would mean "Game Over" and boring waiting until the game ends and his 'Mech is released.

#15 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:39 AM

View PostNeoCodex, on 23 August 2016 - 01:07 AM, said:

Instead of giving this poor man bad ideas just simply direct him to the metamechs website to at least avoid the bad ones like Mad Dog and Shadow Cat.

I agree with the rest of your post, but the SHC is legit T1/2 at its mid-long range (2LPL build), and can outtrade almost every mech in the game if you know how to use the MASC.

And the mad dog, while squishy, is easily capable of outputting MORE than IS assault DPS at very high heat efficiencies. It can sure give it out. For instance, the most crazy mad dog build 6SRM4 5SPL has 29 MAX DPS without modules and a 35% heat efficiency.

#16 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:26 AM

You need to buy three variants in order to level a mech, so your 35mill is now 11.5mill per mech.

Decide if you're going to focus on Clan or IS.

If clan, then buy 3 SCR's. That's basically 35mill.

If IS, then buy 3 MAD's. That's about 28mill.

If I had to choose between the two above, I'd go with the Marauders.

Wait and see. Potentially two weeks from now (after the Cyclops release event) there will be a heavy 30% off sale. 3 Marauders for under 20mill is friggin sick.

Bear in mind that the xp you make off of trial mechs can be spent later once you buy the variant you were using in trial.

#17 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:38 AM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 23 August 2016 - 03:39 AM, said:

I agree with the rest of your post, but the SHC is legit T1/2 at its mid-long range (2LPL build), and can outtrade almost every mech in the game if you know how to use the MASC.

And the mad dog, while squishy, is easily capable of outputting MORE than IS assault DPS at very high heat efficiencies. It can sure give it out. For instance, the most crazy mad dog build 6SRM4 5SPL has 29 MAX DPS without modules and a 35% heat efficiency.

While I agree and I absolutely love my "tier 3" splat dog that can average 500-1000 damage per game, a slow and squishy splat platform like MDD is still something I would not recommend to a beginner, it takes some general sense and knowledge about the game to predict when and where you can engage. Not to mention you absolutely need mastery with both seismic sensor and radar deprevation for this mech to just make it "work".

Besides that MDD is really hard to use properly because of it's design and terrible knuckle-drag effect, not everyone will use this mech only as splat boat and specially beginners will be tempted to put weapons in arms and create huge problems for themselves by shooting dirt. So I really advise making a big leap around this chassis as one of your first main mechs.

If you compare it then yeah, SHC is surely a much better choice, cockpit height arms, good speed, ECM, jump jets.. a really fun concept and might be actually pretty good to help you stay in the game longer and have some more fun. It's just that it's DPS output is lacking, and damage numbers might be underwhelming if you're not an expert at hide and poak. But I think it's not a bad idea, preferably this could be a better learner than a light mech. But as a more serious, main choice? I'm not too sure I would still recommend. But certainly as an alternative to have some fun with, yeah.

I still think that as a legit mech, one of my favorites MAD-5M with XL325, one jump jet, gauss and triple large pulse can be a solid performer and a recommendation from me. Also it's other variants offer some diversity as well. It is my favorite build, but I can't guarantee this fits everybody's playstyle. I don't really believe in the whole XL death trap thing and that this should be the reason you should main Clans just because. Most often it still happens you will get cored in the CT. Yeah, sometimes it can happen that your Gauss will get hit prematurely and kill you, but it's not that common to make this such a big issue.

Edited by NeoCodex, 23 August 2016 - 06:00 AM.

#18 arcang3L 337

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:52 AM

Thanks for all the feedback so far! It is kind of sounding like I should probably stick with the SCR variants for now, since they seem to be able to do most of what I'd like (with the exception of AC builds, but after playing around a bit, it seems like pure AC builds are limited to heavier mechs anyway =/). The Nova, HBK, and HBK IIc also look interesting, but they seem only slightly more mobile than a TBR/EBJ/MAD, and at that point, it seems like the extra tonnage would be more valuable (maybe why so many of you are recommending heavies...).

That said, are there any IS mechs comparable to the SCR that I should be looking at as well (e.g. ~100KPH, multirole, not made of paper)? The Clan mechs do seem to fit much more with what I'm looking for, but I don't have any real opposition to going with IS tech either (and, at the heavier end, I do find that I prefer their weaponry; the pulse lasers on the BLR were a dream, and their single-shot ACs just seem so much more usable). I am interested in doing faction warfare (even if it is just dabbling), so if that adds any good reason to go with one mech over another, that would also be welcome information.

Finally, the thought occurs to me that it might not be a bad idea to pick up a couple completely different chassis (e.g. one medium, one heavy) to start with, and then slowly work on both. Is there any merit to this, or is it generally best to "max out" one chassis ASAP?

Again, thanks for all the great info!

#19 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:25 AM

@OP

You are in need of some Cicada's! You describe lights as fun, but the risk to go close range is a bit to high, but it seems the speed is what you like as you are looking for opportunities to flank. The cicada is right up there with the lights as far as mobility goes, although its size is larger then lights so is it payload.

I suggest to look into that mech line as it comes most close to your preferred play style from what I've read from you.

#20 DarthLlama

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:40 AM

I'm going to offer an opinion, but I need to preface it by stating that I myself am new.

I ordinarily wouldn't offer advice if not for the fact that the OP's wants in a mech mirror mine exactly. Like the OP, I spent a considerable amount of time trying different trial mechs and even bought a couple that while nice, weren't exactly what I was looking for. Until I found my answer, the Hunchback (HBK-IIC) Clan Medium Mech.

It really fits the bill for what you're looking for. Don't take it from me though, take a look at Metamech's Hunchback IIC Master Guide and decide for yourself. That guide covers numerous builds for each variant and includes game play videos as well to help you really master the mech.

I'm not going to try and pretend I'm some great player, I'm not.. I'm new and I'm still learning. But I have started to experience increased success since I started playing the HBK IIC using information from the guide.

I hope it helps you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users