Pc Restarts Right When I Get Into Battle.

3 replies to this topic

#1 Imaox

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

So for the past 2 week every time i try to play mechwarrioronline my pc restarts. Specifically as soon as am in the actual game controlling my mech my pc restarts within 4 seconds. Been trying to fix it the past 2 days and am going mental.
So far this is what i have done that has NOT worked:
Updating nvidia drivers (clean install )
Going back on older gpu driver versions to the ones i had 2 months ago when i had no problems.
(I removed gpu drivers with 3rd party program then performed clean install only the basics)
Updating windows to windows 10 anniversary
Rolling back windows 10 anniversary
Using Dx 9
Upgrading bios and using every latest driver i found available at the mobos website
increasing the power target of my gpu
Checking windows system-repairing it
Uninstalling mech warrior online and reinstalling
Editing registry-increasing processing time of gpu
It should also be noted that i stressed tested my cpu and gpu separately to see if that was the issue both worked fine with no restart . Plus it's not like my gpu or cpu have time to overclock since the restart happens so quickly in the game -.-
I have noticed that my gpus memory usage keeps going up from the moment i enter the loading screen of the game . It's usually around 2000 - 2500 when pc restarts
Also when am playing planet side 2 or world of warships my pc doesn't restart .
I tried to read the report- event log from each restart but am not getting any information after the restart only" Event 41 Kerner power"
System specification:
Gtx 970 (evga sc)
motherboard : z97-a
cpu : i7 4790k
psu: cooler master 650 semi modular (gold)
ram ; 8 gb 2133 mhz gskill sniper (xps profile enabled).
There is one way i can play the game if i leave the resolution at the smallest option that comes with the game when you install it with no scaling . When the whole game is the size of a youtube video in theater mode .
So does anyone have a solution >_<
When i had windows 8.1 the game would get stuck at loading for a bit with the program becoming unresponsive for 1 , 2 seconds then get unstuck and everything was fine. If i had multiple programs open it would sometimes fail to unstuck and crash especially in full screen mode but that was it. Using windowed mode was enough to fix it. Now i can't even use that or go close to my native 1080p resolution .

Edited by Imaox, 23 August 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:56 PM

https://support.micr...n-us/kb/2028504

Just noting a few things from the page. Understand that if it is not driver related, it will be due to faulty components, likely the PSU but it could be other items.

Make sure motherboard, sound card, harddrive, other component drivers are up to date.

Is the CPU OC at all? If not, disable Turbo boost, but instead of setting it to 99% as indicated in the link, set it to 98% or 97%. Turbo boost is a temp/layman's overclocking, it does it by boosting the motherboard's BLCK speed, not the actual multiplier. When TB kicks in, more power is sent to the CPU, the higher the speed the fewer the cores. So power and along with that heat for that one core.

http://www.tautvidas...el-turbo-boost/

Remember, this is troubleshooting. And when MWO loads, it is not just GPU and CPU, it is other system components.

Next, lock down items in the bios. Automatic can be fine, until it is not fine. I would start with Memory, lock it at a lower setting.

Then the GPU. It can be underclocked. Start at 25 for the GPU and 100 for GPU memory.

And on the GPU, Nvidia control panel, set Power Management Option to max performance. This ensures it is being used and not the Intel GPU on the CPU at all.

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated.

An event 41 is used to report that something unexpected happened that prevented Windows from shutting down correctly. There may be insufficient information to explicitly define what happened. To determine what may have happened and to identify a potential resolution, it is important to know what the computer was doing at the time just before the event occurred.

If event 41 is logged because power to the computer was interrupted, consider obtaining an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) such as a battery backup power supply. An underpowered or failing power supply may cause this behavior. For example, if you added RAM or additional devices or hard disks when this problem began, the power supply may cause the problem

This scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware. To help isolate the problem, check the following items:
  • Overclocking: Disable overclocking to see whether the issue occurs when the system is run at the correct speed.
  • Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.
  • Power supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices can require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.
  • Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.
  • Defaults: Reset the system back to the system defaults to see whether the issues occur when the system is running in its default configuration.

If you see that the computer generates a Stop error that contains a BugcheckCode value that is not reported in an event ID 41, change the restart behavior for the computer. To do this, follow these steps:
  • Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  • Click Advanced system settings.
  • Click the Advanced tab.
  • In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
  • Click to clear the Automatically restart check box.

#3 GRay111111

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:58 PM

I get similar lockups.
I get into a match (either quick game or testing grounds, same result) after a minute or so (can be upto five minutes), the PC locks up, usually I can move the mouse cursor that appears on screen (A MWO cursor) , sound is heard (droning background sounds from the game).
I cannot Ctrl+Alt+Tab or anything, only option is to reset the PC and reboot.

I have not played for two or three weeks, came to play couple of days back - had to PATCH first , then the lock ups started.
Coincidentally, Win10 Anniversary update has also been installed prior.
I have now done a fresh clean install (with latest win10 build - which includes Anniversary update), latest drivers etc etc.
This is on a (previously) super stable computer, thats been running MWO for ages.

I feel I have tried most things now to solve this,
I am going to reduce the OC on my CPU, and drop the clock on my GPU just to cover this - but these clocks have not changed for a loong time (so I am not sure why they would cause issues recently)

After that, I might do another clean install of windows using a previus (pre anniversary update) build.
after that I lay blame to the recent Patch, and will sit crying until something is updated/starts working.
At the moment I cannot play MWO at all , been playing since Nov 2012 - So have an addiction to feed!

#4 GRay111111

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

I posted in the patch section..

But basically -
windows anniversary update seems to have broken MWO.
rebuild PC to a previous win10 version, and all is good for now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users