Countdown To Night Gyr

279 replies to this topic

#101 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

That quirk seemed pointless on the Hellslinger in practice I can't imagine it being much better on this version .... they REALLY tried not to OP this set...

#102 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:26 PM

View PostAramuside, on 15 September 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

That quirk seemed pointless on the Hellslinger in practice I can't imagine it being much better on this version .... they REALLY tried not to OP this set...

I prefer a useless but interesting quirk to a powerful and unnecessary crutch.

The misuse of quirks from their originally stated goal of "slightly improving mechs to balance out the effectiveness of underperformers" to "game changing stat modifications that make or break the viability of the machine, regardless if they are actually necessary" makes me sick. I am glad they are not only getting toned down, but changed more into flavor-quirks.

Large weapon quirks, especially. Those just serve to pigeonhole builds into what maximizes the quirk's capabilities the most.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 15 September 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#103 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:27 PM

It seems that PGI read the forum or made a good decision, except that they still manage to sneak that +20% ballistic velocity quirk on the C variant so that you buy the Collector Pack.

#104 vocifer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 284 posts
  • LocationMordor borderlands

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:41 PM

I'm looking at Viper quirks on it's countdown page and I'm guessing all of CT quirks being above 2.5xp quirk. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all Viper 8/8 quirks are the rest ones (from 2.5xp and below).

So, basically, all NG quirks are 8/8, which is kinda logical since that 10% ballistic CD one on Prime would be OP either on CT or RA and completely illogical when placed on any energy component.

#105 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:43 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 15 September 2016 - 02:27 PM, said:

It seems that PGI read the forum or made a good decision, except that they still manage to sneak that +20% ballistic velocity quirk on the C variant so that you buy the Collector Pack.

Reinforcement pack, but yeah. If that's not on the C variant CT only, there's really no reason to buy the reinforcements pack. So, it'll almost certainly be there, and be there specifically to encourage buying the pack. It *should* be spread between the omnipods, as those things are on the other omnipods where they (rarely) exist, but that won't be the case.

Really, though, the Night Gyr shouldn't launch with ANY direct weapon quirks. IMHO anyways.

#106 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:46 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 15 September 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

Really, though, the Night Gyr NO MECH should launch with ANY direct weapon quirks. IMHO anyways.

FTFY

#107 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

Practically useless is fine. I love the Kodiak's claws, and the King Crabs pincers, even if they serve no purpose. This is a mixed bag, a minor buff on some maps or a minor nerf on others, but it'll be very minor either way. As PeeDee said above, better to have an interesting but practically useless quirk than a game-changing crutch.

These things are flavour.

#108 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

I know guys in 228 that use the Hellslinger to great effect on hot maps where one does not typically expect lots of laser vomit.

#109 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 15 September 2016 - 02:57 PM, said:

I know guys in 228 that use the Hellslinger to great effect on hot maps where one does not typically expect lots of laser vomit.

Pity the Gyr is so crit loaded it will never be a fantastic laserboat. Not enough room for those heat sinks, unfortunately.

#110 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:59 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 15 September 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

The Kodiak still has more quirks than this.

How many did it start with?

They gave it a few weeks-a month before giving them structure buffs.

#111 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:05 PM

Geez,,,, its an Omni Orion IIC essentially, with jump jets. The Orion IIC arrived without any quirks at all, and for that matter, the ebon, hell bringer and stormcrow all lack quirks also (beyond the useless 2.5% XP one for matching pod sets). As to the agility quirk complaining... 100 degree torso twist is more than the ebon or hell bringer or orion IIC or timber wolf. None of those mechs have any agility quirks either and people use them just fine. I do love how people are already doom sayers before its even been played with.

#112 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:38 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 15 September 2016 - 03:05 PM, said:

Geez,,,, its an Omni Orion IIC essentially, with jump jets. The Orion IIC arrived without any quirks at all, and for that matter, the ebon, hell bringer and stormcrow all lack quirks also (beyond the useless 2.5% XP one for matching pod sets). As to the agility quirk complaining... 100 degree torso twist is more than the ebon or hell bringer or orion IIC or timber wolf. None of those mechs have any agility quirks either and people use them just fine. I do love how people are already doom sayers before its even been played with.

You make a good a good point about torso twist, though i think their point is that the lower engine rating would in general lead to poorer agility compared to the mechs you mentioned.

#113 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:49 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 15 September 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

Reinforcement pack, but yeah. If that's not on the C variant CT only, there's really no reason to buy the reinforcements pack.

Thanks for the correction!

As for the reason to buy the Reinforcement pack, it was originally for that 1E CT HP on the NTG-D so you can do 2Gauss+4Lasers.

#114 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:18 PM

Might be a stupid question but....

[color=#00FFFF]To account for their use of Laser Heat Sinks in BattleTech lore, all Night Gyr variants possess a -100% External Heat Transfer quirk. This causes the Night Gyr to ignore all environmental Heat effects that would normally affect the Heat state of other 'Mechs. Whereas a normal 'Mech dropping on a hot map such as Terra Therma would run at a higher base Heat depending on the number of Heat Sinks it has equipped, the Night Gyr always runs at a base Heat of 0%. Further, the Night Gyr can trudge through environmental hot spots with no penalty to its base Heat.[/color][color=#00FFFF]On the other hand, the Night Gyr receives no boost to its Heat Sink efficiency on cold maps.[/color]

How do Flamers affect these mech's? The same as others? or is it less effective giving the -100% quirk?

#115 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:22 PM

The way i understand it, the only heat manipulated by this quirk is the ambient/surface/environmental/non-weapons-based or (insert other adjective here)

#116 BMKA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 106 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationChile

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:30 PM

View PostRamrod AI, on 13 September 2016 - 02:50 PM, said:

I'm thinking about canceling my pre-orders if Energy Draw is introduced. And I'm not the only one. If any PGI is reading this comment then do NOT even think about putting that crap in. Just chuck it now. You're gonna shoot yourselves in the foot. You're gonna lose money, lose players, and lose any future players. I'm not bitching. This is what is going to happen.

Not bitching?? really?

personally I do like the ED because :

-New meta builds.
-No-ghost heat 2.0 Now you will know how you will get heat penalty. Is stupid that firing 5 SSRM2 on a mech gets heat penalty, but firing vomit builds gets no penalty {20 alpha dmg vs 42 alpha dmg}

If the ppl are really gonna leave the game because they cant handle a change, I have news for you.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!

#117 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:03 PM

So to break down the Night Gyr External Heat Transfer Quirk a little more:

The Night Gyr takes no Heat Penalty from environmental Heat. This includes the base temperature of the map along with any hot-spots throughout, such as lava on Terra Therma or the caldera on Caustic. Whether it's standing in a pool of lava or on a rock, the resting Heat of a Night Gyr will always will be 0%.

The Quirk does provide the Gyr with a slight buff against enemy Flamers, but Flamers do still affect Heat levels on the Gyr. This change to the relation between Flamers and the External Heat Transfer Quirk came in with the new Flamers on March 15th.

All that said, the Night Gyr does still take damage from lava. So while its Heat level won't increase when standing in lava, it will take damage from the lava in the same way as all other 'Mechs.

While not as efficient as the Night Gyr in these respects, the Hellslinger carries similar characteristics due to its -50% External Heat Transfer Quirk.

And here's a bonus (11mb) GIF of the Night Gyr:
Spoiler

#118 Gwydion Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:09 PM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 15 September 2016 - 05:03 PM, said:

The Quirk does provide the Gyr with a slight buff against enemy Flamers, but Flamers do still affect Heat levels on the Gyr. This change to the relation between Flamers and the External Heat Transfer Quirk came in with the new Flamers on March 15th.

Thanks for clearing that up a bit :)

Im one of the few players that runs around with "Vomit Hunter" mech's with flamers on them and loadouts designed to let me still fire while the flamer is active in order to force the Meta-build Vomit mech's to shut down or start to be seriously careful with how they fire.

Was just wanting to make sure that the -100% thing didnt make flamers completely useless against them :)

#119 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:28 PM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 15 September 2016 - 05:03 PM, said:

And here's a bonus (11mb) GIF of the Night Gyr:
Posted Image

Thanks for the clarification but.... why the stubby arms? *cries*

#120 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:29 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 15 September 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

Thanks for the clarification but.... why the stubby arms? *cries*

No long laser barrels. Posted Image Still a good looking space marine. Primary aesthetic gripe is that the empty laser hardpoint in the head is not capped over when vacant.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 15 September 2016 - 05:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users