#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:37 PM

It's decent enough.

The IIC-C is particularly potent with 2 LPL + 2 UAC10.

Orion hitboxes, so not amazing, but on the other hand you've got full customization and lots of tonnage. A decent number of hardpoints, but mixed, so you're not really boating anything. All in all, I like them a lot.

IMHO, it's a better mech than the Night Gyr at everything except ballistic boating. However, as we're going into a dakkaboat meta it seems, that'll position the Gyr higher. /mytheory

#3 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:42 PM

I wouldn't call the Orion a dakkaboat by any stretch, given that at most it can carry two ballistic weapons.
My personal experience with them has been reasonably favourable, but then I usually use cheese-master loadouts on it to maximise the huge missile tube counts - things like 2xLRM20 + 2xLRM15 or something awful like that. But of course, for the same weight a Timber Wolf is generally better in many ways (including being a huge focus-fire target)

#4 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:31 PM

Well, those were some great answers because it is what I wanted to hear. I want something between my Kodiaks and my Hellbringers.

And really, I was looking for something big enough to use LRMs on. I really do not have any Mechs for that.

#5 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:58 PM

Have you checked Archer, one variant has 9 missile hardpoints, really good for mix of LRM 5 &10?

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:21 AM

Its alright. Much like it's IS counterpart, the OrionIIc suffers from lack laster hardpoint locations.

Many consider it the weakest of the Clan heavy mechs, and I tend to agree.

#7 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:51 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 24 September 2016 - 02:21 AM, said:

Its alright. Much like it's IS counterpart, the OrionIIc suffers from lack laster hardpoint locations.

I'd put it ahead of the MDD. The ON1-IIC-A does the one thing the MDD does well (SRM based brawling) better than the MDD. It's basically a 75 ton Spirit Bear. Between that and the C basically starting my love affair with the CUAC10, I was very pleasantly surprised by the chassis. Like its IS counterpart, it has deep flaws, but is much better than its rep IMO.

#8 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:53 AM

IIC-A is a pretty decent brawler. Throw in a UAC20, 4 ASRM6 and an XL360 and you're moving almost 80kph with an 88 damage alpha strike that you can easily fire twice in a row without overheat. Also comes with shield arm. My friend in Tier 4 who enjoys brawling is tearing up the place with them and in group queue with a full lance we oneshot anyone. It could also run like 4 ALRM15s with some backup lasers if you really just wanted to boat LRMs.

I love the hitboxes on these things more than Timber Wolves, more humanoid arm shielding and torso twisting than Timber Wolf blimp noses.

Its not good for long range direct fire because of the low mounted hardpoints, but its a solid brawler.

#9 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:06 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 23 September 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

Good or bad?

Decent brawlers. Though, i would use a lbx20 until elited skills cuz the uac20 will get hot.

XL350 engine to share between them. Rest is SRMs ane either MPL or SPL.

Get in position, wait, pounce and light someone up. Do twist that incoming damage.

#10 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:10 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 24 September 2016 - 02:21 AM, said:

MMMmmm....

Weakest at range, sure with all those hip=level hardpoints.

Its a better brawler than people realize but not amazing. I would think its better than Maddogs and Summoners in many cases.

#11 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:30 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 24 September 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

Decent brawlers. Though, i would use a lbx20 until elited skills cuz the uac20 will get hot.

XL350 engine to share between them. Rest is SRMs ane either MPL or SPL.

Get in position, wait, pounce and light someone up. Do twist that incoming damage.

Even elited the LBX is superior to the UAC for brawling because it's instant fire and allows you to twist better. This goes on the SB too.

Edited by TercieI, 24 September 2016 - 07:30 AM.

#12 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

View PostTeer5, on 23 September 2016 - 10:58 PM, said:

Have you checked Archer, one variant has 9 missile hardpoints, really good for mix of LRM 5 &10?

Wow, yes, they are loaded. I'm a little afraid of an "all missile mech" but I guess SRMs and Streaks can be used to close in defense. I semi wish I had kept the Catapult (not so much the Crab) that won and then sold. This was before they made it smaller.

I also wish I could figure out how to use Kanajashi's spreadsheet to figure out pod space but I just build models to see them. I think that is a very good option for IS but I'm looking for something for Clan.

And the Orion IIC can carry a lot of ammo plus it has a couple of energy hardpoints.

Here is another thing I'm been wondering about. From info gotten here, I've been using a lot of LRM 5's and the LRM 10 is the biggest I use. This is because I was told that the spread is tighter the smaller the launcher. The problem is that then you have to chain fire them which does have pluses but also minuses.

One of them is that 3 IS LRM 5's take up more slots and tonnage than one LRM 15. This is also true in Clan mechs although they are slightly different.

But also there is something else and that is the time spent often in the line of fire using them. It seems like you can fire two of anything without what I guess it called "Ghost Heat". So it seems to me that I can fire two LRM 10's and duck for cover instead of getting hit by return fire during the longer time it takes to fire 4 LRM 5's. There are times I have to jerk away and I either do not fire all 4 of the LRM 5's or some of them go astray. Or most likely, I stay to fire and I get damage i should not have taken.

Another part of this is something I noticed when firing on a Locust a few days ago. Now I think that even firing LRMs at a fast light mech is a waste of missiles. But the score was 4 to 11 and he was their last Mech. I'd have to check the recording to be 100% sure but I think it was the LCT-3M with two AMS systems. I was in one of my Griffins firing waves of LRM 5's and he was shooting most or all of them down.

I saw yesterday at the end of a match looking at a Mech that was a disconnect and he had 6-7 LRM 5's but not that much ammo because of it.

And I remember being told something like one AMS is good for an LRM 5, 2 AMS can take care of an LRM 10 etc. And I've noticed that at my level, a fair amount of Mechs are carrying at least one AMS.

SO......Part of me is starting to think that firing two LRM 15's at the same time and then ducking away is safer than firing 6 LRM 5's using chain fire. Plus, I always use a TAG. So the longer it takes all the missiles to fire and to reach their target, the longer I'm exposed. And the way I understand it, the warning goes off when missiles are fired at you. So the longer it takes to fire 4-6 LRM 5's, the more time it gives your target to escape at least the last ones. And I've seen this happen.

So I'm wondering about changing the size and amount of missiles launchers.

Any thoughts?

#13 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:35 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 24 September 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

Decent brawlers. Though, i would use a lbx20 until elited skills cuz the uac20 will get hot. XL350 engine to share between them. Rest is SRMs ane either MPL or SPL. Get in position, wait, pounce and light someone up. Do twist that incoming damage.

I looked at them and yes, I'd use an LBX 20 instead. That also allows me to fire 3-4 SRMs and since I tend to shoot at short range they will hit together.

P.S. I have 2 "extra" XL 315s so it will run that for a while.

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 24 September 2016 - 03:37 PM.

#14 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:50 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 24 September 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

So I'm wondering about changing the size and amount of missiles launchers.

Any thoughts?

LRM15's are decent if you upgrade them with Artemis. They'll weigh more but their spread will actually be just around what an LRM10's spread is, if not better. They'll also be able to track faster moving targets better.

One thing to know about Artemis though, it doesn't activate if you are indirectly firing, so you need to have a line of sight on the target you shoot. It's extremely good for a mech that has a group of ALRM15s and a tag laser, as the tag further increases their tracking ability and decreases spread.

#15 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:47 PM

I am pretty sure 3 IS LRM5 do not take more weight or slots than the LRM15, the only advantage the 15 has is heat efficiency.
As for firing on Mechs with AMS, if I am taking several 5s I will have them assigned to two fire groups, 1 for chain fire and 1 for alpha, Ghost heat on 6 LRM5 is managable, most of my Mechs carrying that loadout can manage at least 3 alphas without having to worry about heat

#16 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:00 AM

One plus on these is that the first two (which i bought) were cheap at about $5 Million C-Bills since I had two XL 315's to spare.

They are clunky and ugly. And the arm hardpoints are low. I'm playing with a load out of Narc, 2 LRM 15's, TAG and twin ER LLs.

I'm trying to do what Koniving did and it works. I try to hit a Narc on them then I train the TAG on them and fire 30 LRMs at a time.

I also see where a lot of SRMs will work as a Brawler and I can see adding a cannon or Gauss rifle which I'm improving on. I want to get a good game recorded.

If you have a chance, please check out my two Kodiak builds, my GaussBear and new DakkaBear. They will be some of the newest ones on my site. I got tired of doing pilot trees on light plus these are my money makers.

I need to make a LikeUntoGod one...

https://www.youtube....U4AHv6wYPheJSxA

#17 Reality Dysfunction

• PipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 81 posts
  • Locationcockpit or bar... UK

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

Well, here are a few of mine... Yes, I like PPCs on it, thats for less face time...

Punchy, but hot...:
Posted Image

The Dual UAC option: Lasers instead of PPCs for weight saving and this setup requires more face-time...
Posted Image

Removed the second UAC replaced the first with an LBX an swapped the SRM for Streaks because of Locusts, spiders etc (they were bugging me)
Posted Image

This one works best with both PPC and SRM on chain fire... or you will overheat.
Posted Image

Can't say I carry the matches with these, but I think most of the time even I can put in a half decent attempt...

ON1-IIC-C
Posted Image

ON1-IIC-A
Posted Image

#18 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:56 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 25 September 2016 - 10:47 PM, said:

I am pretty sure 3 IS LRM5 do not take more weight or slots than the LRM15, the only advantage the 15 has is heat efficiency.
As for firing on Mechs with AMS, if I am taking several 5s I will have them assigned to two fire groups, 1 for chain fire and 1 for alpha, Ghost heat on 6 LRM5 is managable, most of my Mechs carrying that loadout can manage at least 3 alphas without having to worry about heat

The IS LRM 5 takes 2 slots and weighs 3 tons.

The IS LRM 15 takes 4 slots and weighs 8 tons.

So 3 x IS LRM 5's to me seems to take up more space and weight than a single IS LRM 15.

But then I'm baked so...

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 26 September 2016 - 07:49 PM.

#19 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:42 PM

So 3 x IS LRM 5's to me seems to take up more space and weight than a single IS LRM 15

I think you are looking at the + Artimus versions, IS LRM5 weighs 2 tons and takes 1 slot, IS LRM5+A weighs 3 and takes 2 slots, I will edit later after checking slots+tonnage for the 15 Wintersdark beat me to it

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 26 September 2016 - 09:29 PM.

#20 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 26 September 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

So 3 x IS LRM 5's to me seems to take up more space and weight than a single IS LRM 15.

But then I'm baked so...
This is wrong pretty much everywhere.

The IS LRM5 is one slot and 2 tons. It "should" be 2.5t, to match the LRM10's 2s 5t, but for whatever reason they rounded down on the tonnage. A LRM15 is 3s 7t - see a pattern here? The LRM15 would be 7.5t but also got rounded down.

But what's important is the 3xlrm5 sees 1.5t total rounding, while 1xlrm15 sees only 0.5t.

In addition, non-artemis lrm5 spread is tighter than Artemis boosted LRM15's (which make the aLRM15 4s8t!) And LRM5's cycle in 3.25s vs 4.75s allowing for substantially higher DPS as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users