Mwo Player Made A Mech Game!

3 replies to this topic

#1 Grim 13

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:47 AM

As the title says, MercStar's very own ARM32 made a mech based game... or rather a concept test platform. Here's his video showing off some of the features, some of them quite interesting!

UPDATES!

And yes, I know it's a 40 minute video and he's long-winded, but try to sit through it and think of the possibilities.

Edited by Grim 13, 16 October 2016 - 05:34 AM.

#2 Miles McQuiston

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

Excellent proof of concept. You implemented a lot of features I think should be in by default like radar range dependent upon radar FOV. Additionally missile lock times could be dependent on FOV as well, making it such that focusing your radar on narrow FOv allows you to lock indirect weapons faster. Missiles tracking TAG is a beautiful concept and should have been implemented a long time ago. Your missiles tracking to other targets seems a bit wonky, but I like that without narc and TAG they don't necessarily hit their target. Linking the weapons ability to shoot based off heat generated is outstanding and much better than the ED system currently being proposed in MWO. The friendly fire protection and preventing weapons firing beyond their effective range is also a nice integration.

PGI could give us far more in my opinion, but they are milking the cash cow by producing mainly only "purchasable content". They have great artists and modelers.... but I am not seeing the effort devoted to gameplay systems and general gameplay that I would like to see. It's their game not mine though. I presently believe that MWO has a somewhat short future ahead of it considering it doesn't seem to have the capability or the inclination to keep implementing things through the battletech timeline and the community seems content to throw money at them on every mech pack release. The only incentive they ever have to readdress gameplay and implement more aspects of the battletech timeline will be when they run out of mechpacks to sell in the current timeline, and at present rate it will be a while before we see the timeline progress. Just look at ECM.... When stealth armor/chameleon light polarization/void signature/null signature become part of the timeline what are they gonna do with ECM.

I would like to see an expansion of your proof of concept to include an ECM implementation as well but do with your free time as you see fit.

Thanks.

#3 Grim 13

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:20 AM

ARM MADE A TWITTER! Follow him there for project updates! ...or on twitch or youtube
https://twitter.com/MercARM32/
https://www.twitch.tv/arm32
https://www.youtube....gGHUZMll7rFPacA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users