The Medias Anti Gun Bias

97 replies to this topic

#21 Archangel27

• Pip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:44 PM

Back on the topic of gun crime. I have wondered as of late if the U.S.' high crime rate is because of the population size and variety of cultural backgrounds within the U.S.. The United States ranks third in the world for population size, compared to Germany (17) for Europe, and Canada (38) as one of the most cited 'angelic role-model' for the United States. Of course, the 2nd highest country, India, has a slightly lower crime rate than the U.S., so this may not be true.

However, another piece may be the cultural chafing among the populace, especially in urban areas. The U.S. has long been known as 'the melting pot' and being a place where many cultures from all over the world are all shoved together in high-stress, high-anger environments. This can cause violent action. Again, just a theory.

Also, Crime rates in the U.S. have been dropping as of late.Posted Image

#22 Archangel27

• Pip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 07 October 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

Yeah that is also really misleading because in case you didn't notice, the number of gun owners has been dropping too.

Relationship there maybe?

What's your source of data on this? I was looking but found conflicting reports with no or unreliable sources.

#23 Archangel27

• Pip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:21 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 07 October 2016 - 02:08 PM, said:

These all seem to be polls and surveys, all of which can be swayed very easily to give a specific message. For instance, many landlords prohibit guns on their property (owned by the tenants that is), specifically in apartments. All a surveyor would have to do is know which buildings to contact and viola, they get the 'right' data for their findings. I did a similar thing in high school to prove a point.

Is there data? A record of the total number of concealed carry holders would be some evidence, and one not easily smudged without legal backlash.

#24 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

Here's another interesting statistic:

People in the US who have carry permits commit crimes like assaults, domestic violence and drunk driving 20 times less than the general population. 20 times. Not percent.

#25 Archangel27

• Pip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:28 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 07 October 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

According to the surveys they called random houses.

http://www.norc.org/...S_1972-2014.pdf

Also this one is not a survey. This was a presentation and it is sourced. It is not a survey. So there ya go, some data, and is also from the University of Chicago.

So its not a news media outlet piece either.

Also the VPC..org piece is not a survey either.

So where is any of your sources? Do you have any that are not surveys.... because the NRA didn't have any actual data, neither did any other place I looked that said otherwise.

I see.

My only statement before came from census records (for population) and from the FBI Crime statistics as seen in the graph. I'm not fighting for the NRA, just fighting for a safe system, but only as restrictive as I'm comfortable with imposing. I'm in full support of intensive background checks and permits for various types of weapons. Try to buy said weapon without a permit, denied. Get caught in possession of said weapon without a permit, fines and loss of weaponry. Somewhat extending the concealed carry license to cover all types of weapons. It doesn't restrict freedom (in my mind) and you only have something to fear if you wouldn't have passed a background check in the first place.

It's not a perfect system, but it's an idea, a compromise.

#26 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:22 AM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 07 October 2016 - 03:21 PM, said:

Source please or I will be forced to say this:

"That which is asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens.

Why even bother? Is it going to change your mind about guns?

But, to maintain the charade of debate, lmgtfy and provide you the very first link to come up, from the government. Proceed to use confirmation bias to dismiss this as irrelevant for some reason.

https://www.txdps.st...s/convrates.htm

Edited by Heffay, 10 October 2016 - 05:23 AM.

#27 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:22 PM

Some questions.

Do guns prevent more crimes than they're used to commit.

Can guns save more lives when used in self defense than they claim?

The answer to both, as far as I can tell, is yes.

Its hard to get a clear picture. The media bias is anti gun and they spin statistics to convince people sacrificing freedom and rights leads to a world where they have more rights and freedoms. It is backwards and counter intuitive.

#28 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:48 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 10 October 2016 - 08:54 AM, said:

68% of all murders committed with guns, 41% of all robberies, and statistics show that handguns are the most used in murders.

Ooh! Oooh! Now do alcohol!

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 10 October 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

Freedom to have guns, is also freedom from guns.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You *are* free from my guns.

#29 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:04 PM

View PostHeffay, on 07 October 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

Here's another interesting statistic:

People in the US who have carry permits commit crimes like assaults, domestic violence and drunk driving 20 times less than the general population. 20 times. Not percent.

those 19 guys are just starting to shoot eh? Posted Image Posted Image

I think we were at this discussion already and I think what have to be said was said. Usually it is the behaviour or the mental state of a people that is important. NO ME SAQUES EN VANO!
When you place this simple thing into the brain of all humans things would be much more safer. If you threw a weapon you only for killing.

In my younger days I collected several swords and knifes, then it was absoult necessary the most important thing in the world - now a waste of money.
Currently, with 2 children at home, they start to rust in the basement. Also need to stow away my Scotch Posted Image - my youngest loves it to open cabinets

The problem are just hormones and "not enough brain yet"
Pretty sure most of the "accidental gun-crimes, acts of terrorism" all over the world are usually done by young of age twenty three- or less (don't have numbers just a idea)

#30 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:06 PM

View PostHeffay, on 10 October 2016 - 07:48 PM, said:

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You *are* free from my guns.

He means freedom not to own them - which is different than how you're taking it. It's also a great propaganda statement from the perspective of the gun control advocates who coined it, because it invites such misunderstandings to polarize the issue and generate bad press for firearms rights advocates.

A few thoughts on the Constitutional foundations of the right to bear arms: Marack, you misunderstand the Constitution on this issue. You demonstrated this misunderstanding on the first page of this thread, when you cut a word out of context and quibbled about the definition of "is," "arms." To get a reasonable idea of what arms are being talked about, you only have to read the document in its historical context: it obviously refers to the personal arms of militiamen. The framers of the Constitution had been through a war that they were able to win in part because most military aged males had muskets and knew how to use them. So yes, military-grade personal arms are intended for inclusion in this document. Breaching charges, cannons, and grenades, for example, are not.

The Constitution also - in context - tells us why the right was given, and for what purpose: to allow the militia to draw on a population of recruits who were at least familiar with weapons. This was done to prevent their newly constituted federal government from leveraging a monopoly on military power to stage a coup, and it is by no means a typo that the right was given to the people, not to the States. It is obvious that the framers of the Constitution intended the militia - now constituted as the National Guard - as a framework for their resistance, but the granting of an individual right is significant, and intentional. The mainstay of even the modern battlefield is still the combat rifleman - ask the Iraqi insurgency how well killing insurgents with tanks and airstrikes works to quell unrest. The Constitution intends the people, hopefully through the militia organization, to have a method of last resort.

(Also, your assertion that American soldiers "frequently" shoot Iraqi families is both a demonstration of your military ignorance and an indication of your grasp of nuance in general. It is also a lie: that which is asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence, after all.)

As far as violence is concerned, well... Samuel Clemens once quipped that there were three kinds of lies: "lies, damned lies, and statistics." Unfortunately, it's very easy to find data that supports your viewpoint; even serious, reputable sources can disagree in their analysis, which makes it easy to find an analysis you like and dogmatically insist upon it. There is, however, a certain amount of raw data available which is not seriously in dispute. And from this data, I can reliably see certain trends: first, as of 2014, violence of all kinds in the United States was decreasing - and had been since the 1990s. Sadly, this trend has reversed itself in the last year of available data (2016 data isn't available yet,) but it's too soon to know if that trend will continue. What it's not too soon to note is that violent crime rates do not correlate with gun control regulation, even with time lags. Similarly, the purported number of firearms has been climbing during this entire, decades-long decline. The obvious counter -arguments - that there are too many guns for purchase regulation to affect crime rates, for example- typically miss the point: firearms do not strongly correlate to general violence. To look at another statistic, take mass public shootings: our perception is that they are on the rise, but this has not been the case historically. Instead, mass public shootings like Sandy Hook or Virginia Tech have remained roughly constant per population since the late 1960s - when it jumped up to its current level. Similarly, this latest year of increasing violence has also been the forerunner of political unrest, as proudly displayed for all to see in the amazingly debauched circus and peep show that we're calling the "Presidential Election Campaigns" this year. Whether or not I'm right in my suspicion, the fact remains that violence in our culture is an issue with society, not its tools. Fully or partly banning guns will reduce the proportion of gun violence, and eliminate some edge cases - but just as we can't fix crime by building prisons (or militarizing your police,) we won't address the cultural problem we have with violence by confiscating certain tools. We will succeed only in shifting violence into other avenues, gaining a little security - in exchange for a little liberty.

As for the original topic of the thread: In general, you don't hear about such things as much, because major media outlets are for-profit businesses whose income depends on ratings. Therefore, while they do have institutional rules and personal standards about proper journalistic practices and procedures, they also have to cover the kinds of things people will watch - and it is a sad and incontrovertibly demonstrated fact that we will watch bad news in preference over good news. We also crave novelty: this is why you don't see a huge bout of mass hysteria when there are gang-related shootings; we know that "poor people," "criminals," and the like kill each other; but while we acknowledge intellectually that they are terrible events, it's part of the background - we already "know" that, and so it's not interesting. Part of the Plan. We may care, but we don't care to watch it: show us something we don't know - this isn't that unusual. But when there's an event that is unusual and terrible, like a school shooting, or the Pulse terrorist attack, - well, we turn out (or tune in) in droves. That's why you find significant coverage of incidents like the little girl with her pink firearm only on local news - or in other media telling you that there's an exceptional, terrible conspiracy to mold public opinion by sock puppeting "the media." Except, of course, the collection of outlets that marketed the story to you... Don't get me wrong; I do think there is institutional bias in the media. But it's not the same bias(es,) and there is no "the" media. The idea (sold to you by media outlets) that there is a giant conspiracy to use a monolithic conglomerate of news outlets that can be called "the" anything is just that - a conspiracy theory.

Edited by Void Angel, 10 October 2016 - 11:08 PM.

#31 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:45 AM

So here's a question, If modern man is not expected to stand up to the state with weapons, as the state is much better equipped, trained and organized, and he is not going to be recruited for militia duty to repel an invader state , I would ask why sell deadly ammunition?

The first and only reason I can think of is hunting and I see no reason to not sell live deadly ammo to people with a hunting permit. Everyone else is free to buy any gun they want , as sure guns are cool , easy to use and a great force equalizer, as a grandma can defend against a street mugger with almost no physical force kinda deal, but the only legal type of ammo is a rubber bullet ( I don't know enough about guns to know all the types there are but would guess there are some more damaging then others ) and live ammo soled on shooting ranges for use only on the shooting ranges.

While I know that rubber bullets can be deadly, most of the time they are not while still being a great force equalizer , more so automatic guns , with so many hard hitting brazers they can incapacitate a man or a group of man quickly and is better IMO from single fire , short range tazers for self defense and against home invasions ( though would suggest combining guns with rubber bullets and tazers for maximum effect ) .

Edited by Nik Reaper, 11 October 2016 - 03:00 AM.

#32 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

If all you got out of my in-depth Constitutional rebuttal of your opinions - which you claimed were based on the Constitution was an excuse to hand-wave everything away by reaffirming your opinion, you have actually demonstrated two things:

First, you have no idea how the Constitution works and what needs to be done about it. Remedial education is available at your local institution of higher learning. No, really - I'm serious. Even with the often inflated costs of education these days, the money you spend on a college course on the Constitution or even just general political theory will be well spent. Be sure to argue your viewpoints with the instructor - serious about that, too.

Second, you are incompetent as a thinker. The Dunning-Kruger effect is in play here: you lack even the skill to know how badly you've embarrassed yourself. The remedy is the same as above. People in populist cultures often think that because they have the right to vote, they are competent in politics and reasoning - but this is not the case. Political science is an academic discipline, and critical thinking a trained skill - you cannot reliably learn them by yourself, and will need a guide to teach you the ground rules.

Once you have corrected these two deficiencies, you will be competent to begin formulating a worldview of your own, instead of confidently parroting ideas laid out for you by manipulative men.

#33 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

View PostNik Reaper, on 11 October 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

So here's a question, If modern man is not expected to stand up to the state with weapons, as the state is much better equipped, trained and organized, and he is not going to be recruited for militia duty to repel an invader state , I would ask why sell deadly ammunition?

The first and only reason I can think of is hunting and I see no reason to not sell live deadly ammo to people with a hunting permit. Everyone else is free to buy any gun they want , as sure guns are cool , easy to use and a great force equalizer, as a grandma can defend against a street mugger with almost no physical force kinda deal, but the only legal type of ammo is a rubber bullet ( I don't know enough about guns to know all the types there are but would guess there are some more damaging then others ) and live ammo soled on shooting ranges for use only on the shooting ranges.

While I know that rubber bullets can be deadly, most of the time they are not while still being a great force equalizer , more so automatic guns , with so many hard hitting brazers they can incapacitate a man or a group of man quickly and is better IMO from single fire , short range tazers for self defense and against home invasions ( though would suggest combining guns with rubber bullets and tazers for maximum effect ) .

First, the idea that the 2nd Amendment is obsoleted by modern battlefield technology is demonstrably false and contains fallacious assumptions. It assumes, for example, that the contest is between an indeterminate number of citizens with personal arms and the full might of a unified oppressive state. This isn't the case intended by the Constitution: that's why it talks about the militia and the security of a free State (in the Constitution that term always means the States, not government in general.) We also know that the idea is empirically false because, well, Iraq. And Afghanistan. Yes, the insurgencies there had clandestine access to explosives and RPGs, but their go-to weapons were still standard military arms - and if we found ourselves in their position here at home, we also could obtain heavier weapons through the black market and foreign aid. The combat rifleman - be he insurgent or conventional - is still the mainstay of any modern military, and will form the core of any revolution should we come to that extreme.

The issue I have with rubber bullets is that they are insufficient to the task of self defense. Rubber bullets do not, by design, penetrate the body. This means that they don't inflict debilitating damage: they bruise, they jostle - they sting. But while that's great for dispersing people who are throwing bottles in the street and giving up their volition to the mob, it is utterly inadequate for stopping an individual who presents a credible threat to your life and safety. If I come after you with padded leather and a paintball mask, your rubber rounds are going to be markedly less effective - or else they will inflict serious injury if used on someone not wearing similar gear. Even with lead rounds, it can be surprisingly difficult to kill an angry, adrenalized human; you have to hit him in the heart, the brain, or a big bone to stop him, and certain illegal (but still available) drugs like PCP will override the body's safety/survival mechanisms to absorb amazing punishment before going down. Conversely, a person can sometimes be incapacitated with relative ease; it depends on where you get hit, what you get hit with, and your state of mind and body during the attack. Most fistfights are won with the first punch landed; everything else is just aftermath. What this means is that rubber bullets are a dangerous irritant - they're good for hosing the kids off your lawn, but not for facing down an aggressive assailant.

Tasers are in the same boat; I asked a police officer with years of experience (he has an adult son) about tasers. He responded that he's only successfully deployed his taser twice in the field. If a wire taser hits bulky clothing, hard clothing, even fat, you might not get him. You have to get his neuromuscular system in order for it to work. That's acceptable if you're a police officer trying not to hurt a subject you need to control - not as much if it's one-on-one, life or death. Contact tasers, while more reliable, suffer the same shortfalls; and while they may be sufficient for someone trying to tackle you to the ground or manhandle you, an assailant armed with a baseball bat will simply break your arm and do what he likes anyway.

I see what you're thinking, and if it would work - and if the security of the Constitution wasn't partly at stake - I'd like the idea. Alas, however, 'tis not to be.

Edited by Void Angel, 11 October 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#34 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:34 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 11 October 2016 - 01:08 PM, said:

I see what you're thinking, and if it would work - and if the security of the Constitution wasn't partly at stake - I'd like the idea. Alas, however, 'tis not to be.

Well, considering the age we are in I don't see why not put in more to development of effective non deadly take down equipment , also would it de possible to make rubber coated bullets with a lead body for more punch power, also I kinda think that if even standard rubber bullets were fired from an automatic ingram or other smg they would do bad things, but yeah I still think the general idea is worth looking into a bit more and developing tech in that line.

While it is not pretty, I do believe that diplomacy is only an option where 2 sides have comparable power , and guns are an easy way to achieve that , now we only need to make it so more likely people to survive diplomatic breakdowns....

#35 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:25 PM

View PostNik Reaper, on 11 October 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

Well, considering the age we are in I don't see why not put in more to development of effective non deadly take down equipment , also would it de possible to make rubber coated bullets with a lead body for more punch power, also I kinda think that if even standard rubber bullets were fired from an automatic ingram or other smg they would do bad things, but yeah I still think the general idea is worth looking into a bit more and developing tech in that line.

While it is not pretty, I do believe that diplomacy is only an option where 2 sides have comparable power , and guns are an easy way to achieve that , now we only need to make it so more likely people to survive diplomatic breakdowns....

We should spend a ton more time and effort on developing non lethal weapons.

That still doesn't mean we should ban guns. There is no legitimate reason for doing so. Responsible use of anything should be allowed.

#36 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:15 PM

Oh look, Marack ran away after reiterating his position, characterizing criticism as "insulting," hand-waving away almost my entire argument, moving the goal posts to hide his lie, and saying "no, you." But he got an A+ in "University" because his instructor didn't care if he could think as long as he regurgitated the right information for a test. I am shocked and amazed. Good riddance.

View PostNik Reaper, on 11 October 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

The problem is physics. There is no way, barring a literally transformative breakthrough in technology, to make a less than lethal weapon that is as effective as a lethal one. The requirement that a rubber bullet not penetrate the internal organs of the target, the reduced mass of the round, and other factors mean that less than lethal rounds are only a deterrent in less than lethal situations. Similar constraints apply to using high-voltage electricity to interrupt neuromuscular function - if the taser is powerful enough to penetrate clothing or affect the entire body through adipose tissue, it's powerful enough to kill someone if they're unprotected or skinny; if the darts of a wire taser are powerful enough to pierce heavy clothing, they are powerful enough to cause serious injury in their own right. And, in order to fulfill the Constitutional intention of keeping the civilian populace within spitting distance of the government in order to check its power, you have to consider the military power of such less than lethal arms compared to firearms - and it's really not much of a comparison.

Edited by Void Angel, 11 October 2016 - 07:25 PM.

#37 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:31 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 03 October 2016 - 06:42 AM, said:

But they don't do better. The people are helpless in the face of terror and only a few thousand miles away Putin has reinstated the MGB (Stalin's precursor to the KGB) and outlawed free practice of religion anywhere outside of churches. A few years ago he took a European bloc country, seized it by force and claimed it for his own. What will Europe do when Putin decides one morning, "I feel like taking a stroll through Germany, then maybe Switzerland and then some dinner in Paris?"

If the people had weapons, his job would immediately be tremendously harder.

Sorry but while I've read this statement a while ago, it just hit home today.

Realy Blastman is this some kind of irony or sarcasm?

Firt of all when a modern army marches no selfcalled heros witth their puny guns will stop them - all they are able to do is to increase the suffering of the civilan population - I don't need to mention the names of villages all over in Europa where some "patriots" fought a guerilla war.

But this is not the part that concerns me most - the part that is so breathtaking is that you just follow the ******* anti-russian bias that is to find everywhere in the medias. Even when there is proof that the facts are wrong, same as riping babys out of incubators or ghost weapons of mass destruction or Syrian nerve gas.

It's hard to forget the bogeyman of old - eh.

#38 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:51 AM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 10 October 2016 - 08:54 AM, said:

However they show exactly that. The USA has more crime than any other western nation. Most murders are committed with guns. We have multiple mass shootings every year.

And if the statistics are correct, these issues could be stopped if we regulated weapons.

Who are you and what did you do to Marack? Posted Image

I have the feeling I am in a parallel universe right now ... What about your previous stance that gun regulation doesn't solve anything?

Don't get me wrong, I am glad you apparently changed your mind on this, but what did cause this about-face?

#39 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:39 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 02 October 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

The truth is... if you're prepared for it, is that while guns are useful for protecting us versus criminals, the real purpose behind preserving our right to bear heavy arms is to protect ourselves from our own government.

THIS

[color=#959595]"Most murders are committed with guns. " Wrong. VERY wrong. Do some research please. [/color]

#40 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

View PostQuinn Allard, on 12 October 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

THIS

[color=#959595]"Most murders are committed with guns. " Wrong. VERY wrong. Do some research please. [/color]

Indeed the weapon that killed the most is the spear...haha

About the. protect against the gouverment bulkshit
When you really would think that you need to fight your gouverment - well you will have the same chance as the hadschis - death from above, death. when you are sleeping, death when you are sitting at the dinner, death when you crosses the street - you can have all the guns in the world - but the hellfire doesn't care about them or the group of civilians you are hiding behind

Edited by Karl Streiger, 12 October 2016 - 09:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users