Game Running Extremely Poorly On A Good Rig

21 replies to this topic

#1 Chillzor

Rookie

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:27 PM

Hey! Probably beating on a dead horse with the fps issues in the game, but while i love the game i find it very frustrating to play in these conditions, maybe someone knows of some workaround i can use to increase my performance.

My system specs:

5280k @ 4.5
1070 GTX 8GB
16GB ram @ 2800
SSD Sandisk Extreme PRO
Win 10 anniversary

Now i understand the hexacore isnt the best for gaming but theres absolutely no reason this game is running at 30-40fps at the lowest details during battles. It CAN go as up as 120-140fps when im alone/most mechs have died but i'd say the average is 40-50

Changing ingame settings doesnt really seem like it does anything. The game is running on the GPU as per nvidia Gpu activity and the power level is set to max performance. Not sure what else i can do.

Thanks for any answers.

edit: Other games run flawlessly. This is the only one that gives me struggles. Even that awful Batman AK port runs at 90fps locked wich i believe is the cap.

Edited by Chillzor, 03 October 2016 - 12:28 PM.

#2 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:46 PM

Alot of us have noticed that FPS and general game performance has been slowly declining over time, and yet none of us have modified our computers.

ASUS Republic of Gamers 751 Laptop
Nvidia GTX 980M 4gb
24gb RAM
i7 Processor
Windows 8.1
512gb SSD
2 120mm fans

I used to push 60 FPS with ZERO issue a year ago.

Now...I'm lucky if I get that on any map...

Edited by Commander A9, 03 October 2016 - 12:47 PM.

#3 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:51 PM

I found for MWO I needed something more powerful like this:
http://canadajournal...ort-52033-2016/

Joking aside, I've had some lowered fps recently too and accidentally found disabling built-in chat+voip fixed it for me. All the controls can be disabled in the games settings.

But I'm sure someone will mention I should save the setting files and reinstall MWO. Posted Image

Edited by Max Rickson, 03 October 2016 - 12:52 PM.

#4 Chillzor

Rookie

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:56 PM

>Joking aside, I've had some lowered fps recently too and accidentally found disabling built-in chat+voip fixed it for me. All the controls can be disabled in the games setting

Unfortunately my VOIP is already disabled so thats not gonna work for me Posted Image

Edited by Chillzor, 03 October 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#5 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:09 PM

I have seen people report on this forum and others that one of the latest windows 10 updates killed performance as it messed with a setting or something but I can't remember what it was.

6600k at 4.5ghz Core and Cache (not all that faster)
Thermaltake water 3.0 AIO
8gb 3000mhz ddr4 at stock (probably the same)
Asus Z170ar at stock
GTX770 4gb Classified at stock (much slower)
1000watt corsair
Samsung SSD
Windows 7 (I think this is the key element)

On high settings at 1080p I see around 100fps when just walking around before the fight. Not sure what it drops to in combat but I know its not 40.

EDIT: I will go get some fraps data for you. Only have time for a match or two but could update it later tonight.

All tests at 1080p, DX11, High Settings, Glass On, Damage Glow On, Motion Blur Off, Full Windowed Mode and the only game option I use is Throttle Decay. Running Nvidia Driver 372.90

-HPG an easy to run map. Basement brawl. Min=75 Ave=104 Max=125
-Canyon also easy to run. Big fight at the c4 ramp. Min=61 Ave=100 Max=139
-River City. One of the hardest to run and probably where my 770gtx is limiting. Min=36 Ave=91 Max=137
-New Frozen City (sad they killed one of the best maps) Min=63 Ave=82 Max=103

Edited by Kaptain, 03 October 2016 - 02:20 PM.

#6 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:11 PM

Definitely seems odd, there's no reason your rig should get similar performance to my laptop :P

I assume that's a 5820k. Can you provide a little more info like resolution, breakdown of settings, do you have a heavily customized user.cfg file? A little while ago I found that my old user.cfg settings which had been tested and worked well for a long time were causing many of my problems. I was able to turn up many of the graphics sliders and keep a steadier framerate with all those old tweaks removed. Never did pin down what tweak was causing the issue.

Someone get Goose :D

#7 Chillzor

Rookie

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:20 PM

Woops. yes its a 5820k.

Resolution doesnt seem to matter at all, between my native 1440p and 720p i dont see any difference in framerate whatsoever. I dont even have stuttering, its just a steady 30-50 for 75% of the games. I keep all details low. cockpit glass off.

Started playing less than a month ago and im not using a user.cfg, most infos i found about making one were old. Is it supposed to go where the exe is (so /bin64) or the root folder of the game anyways, in case i wanted to try?

Edited by Chillzor, 03 October 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#8 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

From my testing I highly doubt its your hardware.

My bet is something funky with windows 10
-Check "maximum processor state" in power options (some people reported it being set very low after win 10 update)
-Others have reported games trying to run on the integrated graphics after windows 10 update.

Anyways, lots of info if you google low FPS after windows 10 update. This may not be your issue but I have seen it posted many times so its probably worth looking into.

Where is Goose when we need him Posted Image

Edited by Kaptain, 03 October 2016 - 02:19 PM.

#9 Chillzor

Rookie

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:53 PM

Ugh, i dont want to revert to 7 or 8.1 Posted Image

Max cpu state is already set to 100%
Game is definitely running on my 1070. I dont think i even have an integrated gpu as far as i remember.

I'll have a look about Anniversary issues. Ive even freshly installed it when it came out so im at a loss.

edit: i'll add that setting the game's priority to above average or high seems to give VERY MINOR benefits or might just be placebo, not sure.
Affinity i havent fiddled with.

Edited by Chillzor, 03 October 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

Just to touch a few things.

System, control panel, power options, set to high performance.
Disable any overlays from Nvidia, TS, etc.

Create a user.cfg and insert sys_MaxFPS = 75 (or 60, etc) You want steady, consistent FPS. Running it at max can get the system to throttle down if CPU/GPU hits a heat threshold.

Uninstall Nvidia and reinstall only the driver without the additional overhead.

For the FPS loss, the Anniversary update issue may be related to activating/reactivating XBOX settings, especially DVR. Most of the posts/redditts deal with disabling XBOX settings. If you do not have XBOX app installed, you will need to install it to take care of the settings.

Below is a quick youtube.

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=772250322

The above is from Steam concerning the same thing.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 October 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#11 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:38 PM

You are correct, that CPU does not have IGP. Sorry for the confusion on my end.

View PostChillzor, on 03 October 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

Ugh, it would be a lot of work to upgrade to windows 7 Posted Image

Fixed it for you Posted Image

Edited by Kaptain, 03 October 2016 - 03:40 PM.

#12 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 03 October 2016 - 04:04 PM

Have you Tried With Higher Settings so see how big of a difference it makes?

#13 Chillzor

Rookie

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

View PostLord Letto, on 03 October 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

Have you Tried With Higher Settings so see how big of a difference it makes?

Yeah. Game runs like at 15 fps with everything at max.

Buuut.... as it turns out, switching the DVR thing to off almost doubled my fps. Go figure.
Its still not what i'd call GOOD performance but at least it went from frustrating to perfectly playable.

Thanks everyone for the replies, you were very helpful!

#14 5hredder

• Pip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:23 PM

View PostChillzor, on 03 October 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

Hey! Probably beating on a dead horse with the fps issues in the game, but while i love the game i find it very frustrating to play in these conditions, maybe someone knows of some workaround i can use to increase my performance.

My system specs:

5280k @ 4.5
1070 GTX 8GB
16GB ram @ 2800
SSD Sandisk Extreme PRO
Win 10 anniversary

Now i understand the hexacore isnt the best for gaming but theres absolutely no reason this game is running at 30-40fps at the lowest details during battles. It CAN go as up as 120-140fps when im alone/most mechs have died but i'd say the average is 40-50

Changing ingame settings doesnt really seem like it does anything. The game is running on the GPU as per nvidia Gpu activity and the power level is set to max performance. Not sure what else i can do.

Thanks for any answers.

edit: Other games run flawlessly. This is the only one that gives me struggles. Even that awful Batman AK port runs at 90fps locked wich i believe is the cap.

i find this extremely odd given the fact that my computer is slightly less beefy then that(well, only the video card falls short of yours, but the vid card is everything pretty much for this comparison.) and i run the game at max res... my monitor only refreshes 60 times a sec, so i only have 60 fps... but i can run the game with ark in the background, and it still works. not that ark is set to max settings, but it is still set to almost max.(i did undo the anniversary update though because it made my game not work)

in my pc, i have a: gtx 980, 6700k i7, 16 gb of ddr4 at 3200 bus speed.i also have a msi titanium z170A motherboard. i also run it on an ssd though.

what resolution do you run the game at? i wouldn't imagine it being a hardware issue unless you are running 4k resolution.

Edited by 5hredder, 03 October 2016 - 07:24 PM.

#15 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:31 PM

The OP may have other outstanding issues but his 1st one was Win10 reactivating Xbox DVR and turning it on, or the overlay itself which usually shows as a the popup window that shows up at the bottom of a game's log in screen. It would not be the first overlay that tanked game's FPS.

I had similar issues but was not aware it was the Xbox DVR as I had previously disabled it, so I had simply rolled back that Win10 patch until the next patch came along. This is not the only game and player who have had issues with an Anniversary update and a FPS drop. Simply google it and select search for the last month, lots of threads on several gaming boards and general tech support boards. Most who responded to those threads noted that disabling/redisabling Xbox DVR resolved their FPS issues with that particular game.

I am running a 3570K @4.5ghz w/ATI HD7950. High FPS is about 140FPS but I have a user.cfg set for 75 FPS (vsync off), the yoyo effect in large FPS changes would give me a headache.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 October 2016 - 08:32 PM.

#16 Michal R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 428 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:59 PM

On Win 7 I have the same problem.

I do a tests. Put new fresh system. Clean collers buy gtx 1060 and still have problem with fps. And I know that game use more cpu than graphic card.

Fps problem is on a map that Perfect Game Industry changed. Now I know that this is there 100% fault.

The f.u..ck it up some how and do nothing with it. Like always.

But buy a mech pack ;)

Edited by Michal R, 03 October 2016 - 10:01 PM.

#17 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:33 AM

The Xbox DVR thing could definitely have hurt some.

I also have a 5820K and do not have OPs issues.

OP - have you tried setting CPU to 98% instead of 100%? This is a common trick.

Also, what GPU drivers are you using? There have been some pretty bad performance issues with certain Nvidia drivers on Win10. I know I had one driver that was absolutely awful, made MWO unplayable while other games seemed okay. A new one came out 2 days later that was supposed to be just a game-ready driver for another game and ended up fixing MWO for me.

Also, double check the nvidia control panel global profile and MWO-specific profile to make sure there isn't something odd in there.

Have you run the repair tool? Run the repair tool just in case, too. And clear the shader cache. ALWAYS clear the shader cache.

#18 Chillzor

Rookie

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:54 AM

Game seems to run fine now after i disabled the stupid DVR thing wich makes no sense to me as you'd think a god damn hexacore would be able to run a fuckton of stuff in background effortlessly anyways. I think the lowest i've seen was 50 in a really crowded situation at 1440p/all med details, i dont have an average but i'd say around 70 or so.

Tried the repair too, will delete shader cache

Do you mean setting the cpu to 98% max/min use in power setting? Also not done that

GPU drivers are 372.90 (latest)

#19 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:49 PM

View PostChillzor, on 04 October 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

Game seems to run fine now after i disabled the stupid DVR thing wich makes no sense to me as you'd think a god damn hexacore would be able to run a fuckton of stuff in background effortlessly anyways. I think the lowest i've seen was 50 in a really crowded situation at 1440p/all med details, i dont have an average but i'd say around 70 or so.

Tried the repair too, will delete shader cache

Do you mean setting the cpu to 98% max/min use in power setting? Also not done that

GPU drivers are 372.90 (latest)

For the CPU setting, yes, set the max to 98% and it will force it into performing. Usually a notebook hack and not used on high-performance desktops. If your performance is great after fixing the DVR functionality, no need to do this.

The GPU drivers are still a bit immature probably for the new Pascal chips. I think you'll see some tiny gains and smoother behavior once the drivers mature a bit. Win10 has had a few instances of driver issues for Nvidia now, so I'd just keep up to date to be sure.

#20 Capt Jos

Rookie

• The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSnoring in Bed

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:41 PM

I've had issues ever since the addition of decals. I have my settings on low and get 1 fps during fights. Before, I got 10-15 fps. I have 4gb ram and will probably have to get a better computer, but I would like it if there were an option to remove decals for battles or not have them show up/load so that I can play MWO in the meantime. Maybe PGI could look at this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users