7 replies to this topic

#1 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:56 PM

Archon and Archon II remain among my all time favorites pc games. There was also a PS1 game called the Unholy War that followed in their footsteps.

In a nutshell:

You play on a chessboard. 1v1 players each have 8 or so "pieces".

Your goal is to make a continuous line connecting one end of the board to the other.

On your turn, you nominate one space to be contested. Each player sends a piece to do battle. The pieces range from tanky close-quarters mashers to flighty and squishy ranged. Each piece is different.

When you contest a space, you choose what piece to send there but don't know what piece your opponent chooses.

They then play a 1v1 battle to the death. This a commodore 64-era arcadey fighting. Whoever's piece wins claims that space. Dead pieces are out. Surviving pieces could be used again.

Play goes on till one player connects a string of spaces or the opponent has no more pieces to play.

The PS1 Unholy War was played on a hex field and had terrain that flying pieces could cross but others couldn't and certain spaces provided resources/buffs.

https://en.wikipedia...ht_and_the_Dark
https://en.wikipedia.../The_Unholy_War

Not that I have any dreams that this will be developed, but it fits so well with the mech weight classes and such.

If two players each had 1 mech from each weight class and then played combat chess, wouldn't that be sweet?

#2 Dr Wubs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

Ahh Archon!

I loved that game.

Could totally see a mech version, but maybe not here.

Maybe in HBS?

Wouldn't quite be the same but still it would be nice to play some Archon, mech or no mech.

#3 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:03 PM

Screw Archon. But you did just give me a great idea. I am so going to carve a Battletech chess set.

I'll probably have more fun deciding on what pieces are what mechs than actually making the thing, but still I think it will be doable if I avoid really skinny legged mechs. Hmmm gotta think about this, maybe easier to just buy miniatures or see if I can get Solid Alexei to "help" me print em.

#4 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:07 PM

Screw Archon?

That's like saying screw Civilization (the best pc game ever).

But here's what yer carving:

http://img07.deviant...fj4-d63r8i5.png

#5 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:19 PM

View PostHunka Junk, on 13 October 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

Screw Archon?

That's like saying screw Civilization (the best pc game ever).

But here's what yer carving:

http://img07.deviant...fj4-d63r8i5.png

Very cool. I have more of an exclusive mech board in mind. Maybe even do a Kurita vs Davion or Steiner board, but I think MWO has damaged my recollection of the distinctive house mechs so maybe Clan vs IS would be easier, but I would want opposing pieces to have similar shapes (kings: Kodiak and Atlas (both humanoid) with Queens being WarHawk and Stalker perhaps. Something along those lines.

BTW: I would NEVER bad mouth Civ (except maybe Civ 5). Civ-4 Fall From Heaven 2 Mod nearly cost me my job at one point. That is addictive game play in an immersive universe right there PGI.

#6 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:28 PM

Funny, Archon II was made by Electronic Arts, If I still had my Commodore-64, I'd try and load it up :D
Was a fun game, like Chess but so much more badass.

#7 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

@Mister D: Many online emulators exist now which can run in your web browser. It should not be hard find one for Commodore.

#8 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:47 PM

[mod]This thread has been moved to Off Topic Discussions.[/mod]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users