5 replies to this topic

#1 Rekkon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 325 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:26 AM

Hello,

I have recently finished the first draft of a campaign system and would like to sound out the general interest level for actually running it.

The full document can be downloaded here, but the TLDR version is:
*The four invading Clans fight over the Kerensky Cluster.
*Each Clan has a limited number of mechs, based on TT assignment tables.
*Mechs are removed from a Clan's roster when destroyed.
*Planets have factories to make new mechs.

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:33 AM

A neat idea outside of MWO, but a fairly bad one inside. Excludes Inner Sphere pilots, makes no sense canon wise, relies on players balancing themselves between factions (Which, as we've seen, ends fairly poorly most of the time), limits player mech choices...

None of which individually is horrible, but all together just don't mesh well.

I do like it outside of MWO though.

#3 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:36 AM

Based on the way this game is developing, we really have to start considering and supporting these player-based initiatives. PGI has largely failed to do so. Hell this event at least at concept level is way better than their KMDD/kill grind events.

Bravo.

Edited by rolly, 02 November 2016 - 08:37 AM.

#4 Rekkon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 325 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostBombast, on 02 November 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

A neat idea outside of MWO, but a fairly bad one inside. Excludes Inner Sphere pilots, makes no sense canon wise, relies on players balancing themselves between factions (Which, as we've seen, ends fairly poorly most of the time), limits player mech choices...

None of which individually is horrible, but all together just don't mesh well.

I do like it outside of MWO though.

What part of "first draft" was unclear? Nothing prevents the campaign from being extended to Inner Sphere factions, I simply have not done it yet. I am Clan, so the small proof-of-concept used Clan factions (and the Kerensky Cluster ended up a convenient size for the map). And they spent a couple hundred years fighting among themselves before returning to the Inner Sphere, so a Clan-only campaign makes just as much canon sense as an Inner Sphere-only one.

Also, player numbers do not matter as much as they do in FW because the system is turn-based. None of the battles are simultaneous in real time, so a faction that can only field one 12-man team is only at a scheduling disadvantage versus on that can field ten full teams. The first team's players will just end up playing a lot more matches each. In the current structure, there can only be a maximum of eight battles a turn anyway.

#5 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:01 AM

View PostRekkon, on 02 November 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

What part of "first draft" was unclear? Nothing prevents the campaign from being extended to Inner Sphere factions, I simply have not done it yet. I am Clan, so the small proof-of-concept used Clan factions (and the Kerensky Cluster ended up a convenient size for the map). And they spent a couple hundred years fighting among themselves before returning to the Inner Sphere, so a Clan-only campaign makes just as much canon sense as an Inner Sphere-only one.

First draft does not mean 'felate me please.' I'm just giving you my honest opinion. I've given you my opinion on your idea - If it doesn't apply to later drafts, fine. But I'm not going to change my opinion because of what future drafts may hold.

Also, player numbers do not matter as much as they do in FW because the system is turn-based. None of the battles are simultaneous in real time, so a faction that can only field one 12-man team is only at a scheduling disadvantage versus on that can field ten full teams. The first team's players will just end up playing a lot more matches each. In the current structure, there can only be a maximum of eight battles a turn anyway.

As someone who's been on the WoT Clan Wars map, in a Clan with only a team and a quarter players, having to defend multiple locations against dozens of clans, each one with three times or greater players... yah, no. It's a recipe for burn out and resentment when you have to fight 8 times against fresh teams that only have to play once each. 'Scheduling disadvantages' are the worst kind of disadvantages.

#6 Rekkon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 325 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:18 AM

I have had plenty of time in WoT CW as well, and it is not the same thing. There you can be overwhelmed by simultaneous matches or simply burned out by the number you have to play in a single evening. Here you top out at four games in a week, scheduled at your convenience. It it more like MRBC with a campaign map than WoT CW.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users