Should the Inner Sphere be represented in 3 dimensions?

63 replies to this topic

Poll: How should the Inner Sphere map look? (297 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the Inner Sphere map be 3-D or 2-D?

1. 2-D, since it's easy to visualize and is familiar to us already. (105 votes [35.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.35%

2. 3-D, since the galaxy is 3-D. (edited) (50 votes [16.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.84%

3. Both; use the 2-D in some cases for simplicity, and create a 3-D map for aesthetic purposes. (142 votes [47.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

I am wondering is there should be a 3-D map of the Inner Sphere to compliment the existing, familiar 2-D maps that we all know. I'm asking this because there's no real reason to give the star systems 3-D coordinates if there's no 3-D maps...

Perhaps this can be a neat visualization tool to improve game immersion...?

EDIT: My mistake, I guess they do not have 3-D coordinates... muh bad.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 08 January 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#2 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

do the systems have prelisted xyz coordinates relative to each other, rather than just xy? or would PGI just have to make em up?

#3 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

I have never seen three dimensional coordinates for the inner sphere or pentagon worlds. So I guess they would have to be made up. As the whole Battletech universe is based on the two dimensional map concerning travel times and distances between, I believe we should keep it that way.

#4 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

I like 3d star maps. That wouldn't bring anything to the table in this game however, and would add complexity to the map, as well as potentially go against standard IS Star Maps. ie Worlds that are close together in canon could be further apart in a 3d system. If the game had supported that in the first place, then maybe, but while it would be cool, it really isn't necessary.

#5 T0RC4ED

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

Im saying both. A 3D picture of the BT universe would be really cool. This is a reboot of the mechwarrior franchise, Lets go for broke and make this the greatest game ever . It doesnt have to be done right away. Heck I would pay some real cash to have it ...maybe even a good chunk of change to get a screensaver of it...HINT HINT micro transaction 1 3D high res screen saver of the Battle tech universe for me....click BUY. It may not have any real significance on the game its self, but it would be cool to have... maybe something ike the 3D sins of a solar empire maps.
(also looking for a 1:1 scale MadCat MKII for my front yard...J/K ROFL)

#6 Raeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 324 posts
  • LocationHal's Bar. Middletown, Cathay District, Solaris VII

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

Also, the 3rd dimension of the starmap wouldn't be significant enough compared to the 2nd dimensional numbers to be worth implementing.

The Milky Way is a relatively flat disc when you get away from the Galactic Center and Earth is located further towards the fringe of the galaxy than the center.

#7 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostEgomane, on 08 January 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

I have never seen three dimensional coordinates for the inner sphere or pentagon worlds. So I guess they would have to be made up. As the whole Battletech universe is based on the two dimensional map concerning travel times and distances between, I believe we should keep it that way.

While Egomane has a valid point, I think a 3d star map would look very cool, EVE online (as an isolated example) Has a very good looking 3d star map and this is a reboot with room to add things to what is normaly canon.

But at the same point, the EVE map can be hard to navigate and does come with an option to flatten it out.

#8 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

Our Galaxy is disk shaped, so the 3-D map wouldn't be just a giant blob, but more of a fat disk. I just don't like staring at the BattleTech map and thinking to myself "Why is it 2-D?"

#9 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

i dunno so much about it being a fat disk...our galaxy is about 1000 or more light years thick, which would leave considerable room for something close to spherical. not advocating 3d mind you, but just sayin

though..it does raise the question....

why does it seem like there are no periphery states "above" or "below" the other houses? why do they only seem to run along the equatorial edges?

Edited by VYCanis, 08 January 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#10 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

you mean, like the hanseatic league?
http://www.sarna.net...anseatic_League

Voted both.
Because i think there were some maps that showed a top down version and a side version of the sphere years back . .

Edited by stahlseele, 08 January 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#11 Dragorath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

I just love 3D Maps, but they are sometimes a little bit messy and not everyone can deal with it.

#12 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

I want a 3D map, if only for the realism. I want MWO to go above and beyond the call.

That said, a 3D/2D option is acceptable.

And I too would purchase aforementioned screensaver.

#13 ThunderSquid

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

The only number for the thickness I can find is somewhere on the order of 1000 LY, but I'm not sure where that is. By the map I'm using, that's about comparable to the diameter of the traditional 2D Inner Sphere, giving us a nice sphere to work with. Most likely, it is more narrow than 1000 LY at Earth, but still the z direction is not negligible. That being said, I think it's more trouble than it's worth.

#14 Strayed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Curious to what devs think, probably wish they could us magic to create mother of all mechwarriror games and then sit back and have a few brews.

#15 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:36 AM

I would love to see a 3D map of the Inner Sphere, preferably one overlaid on a real Milky Way 3D star map to see what the accuracy is like and give us a sense of scale.

Or if someone got really crazy, built it in Universe Creator or whatever that program is called. Then we could see all the relative motion!

#16 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:22 AM

It would be nice to see but I do not think it is necessary.

#17 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

You mean something like this? Click, Drag and Wheel with your Mouse after Star Map selection.

http://areu.free.fr/univers/index.php

Would need the App to navigate though.

Edited by MaddMaxx, 11 January 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#18 zencynic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

I've thought about this recently. If the Inner sphere is about 2000 light years wide and all of the periphery and clan space is within a 10,000 LY diameter, the following image's smallest central circle would be be the inner sphere and the 2nd smallest circle would be all of known space in 3050.

http://haysvillelibr...tech-r-hurt.jpg

Posted Image

#19 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

lets just use the map like it is being used in all the readouts, sourcebooks and what ever, that design is plain simple, tells u all you need to know and looks nice with all its colours and all...

always recognizable, like this one ;)

Posted Image
and this :angry:
Posted Image

but something is wrong with that one i guess^^

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 21 June 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#20 zencynic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

I'm not sure what year that is, but the 3050 map above is not familiar to me.
Capellan Confederation is too big and the Free Rasalhague Republic is missing. Also, there should be a clan presence nudging in by then. If I had to guess. I'd say that map was from pre-3025

I think this is closer to what the MWO devs have so far. I can't find the high res version, but hopefully you get the idea.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users