The Annihilator: Now, later, never?

59 replies to this topic

#1 StealthSlicer

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 40 posts
  • LocationIn the Dire Wolf behind you, what I do from there depends if you’re hostile...

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

I was recently playing MW4M and took the Annihilator out for a try and I have to say I quite like what that thing can do with its ballistics, but that got me thinking if it would feature in MWO, so I had a look at its history.

The Annihilator was designed by the Star League in Exile and the Clans.
The Annihilator was discontinued prior to the Clan “Golden Century”.
The Wolf’s Dragoons brought several models of the Annihilator to the Inner Sphere in 3009.

So that got me thinking about when, if ever, the Annihilator would feature in MWO. Yes it’s a Clan mech, but Wolf’s Dragoons brought at least some “Back” to the inner Sphere some forty years prior to when MWO is set. On the other hand the article on the Annihilator goes on to say it was exclusive to the Dragoons until the Word of Blake Jihad, but what’s to stop destroyed Annihilators from being salvaged or stop people “Joining” Wolf’s Dragoons to get their hands on said mech?

Just some interesting things I found on the mech and wondered what people thought. If this gains interest maybe start a poll on the topic? I don’t know, I just started this to point out a few interesting things and see what people came up with.

#2 Jost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

It's a clan mech. If they stick to canon history (as they've said they'll do many many many times), it'll be quite a while before you even face one, let alone have any chance of driving one.

But clan mechs are coming. They've said that too.

#3 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

A mech that crawls at 32 kph with 4 PPCs uhmmm....

#4 Dymitry

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

View PostEDMW CSN, on 06 August 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

The firepower is huge, but at that speed even an atlas can outrun you, I cannot see it doing anything but defending or assaulting static objects.

#5 Hyperion Adama

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

View PostEDMW CSN, on 06 August 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

That has more firepower than an entire lance of mediums there's a variant out there with FIVE GAUSS RIFLES!

It might be slow. But every variant brings so much firepower to a party you literally dont survive it. This is one of those mechs that you should be glad you dont see initially.

#6 StealthSlicer

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 40 posts
  • LocationIn the Dire Wolf behind you, what I do from there depends if you’re hostile...

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

View PostJost, on 06 August 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

It's a clan mech. If they stick to canon history (as they've said they'll do many many many times), it'll be quite a while before you even face one, let alone have any chance of driving one.

But clan mechs are coming. They've said that too.

Yes, yes I'm well aware it's a clan mech, my point was it's been in the Inner Sphere for forty years.

#7 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

I doubt we will ever see the Annihilator. It was virtually a Wolf's Dragoons exclusive mech and really wasn't used by either the clans or inner sphere in any significant numbers. Now of course the devs are completely free to ignore cannon, but why would they in this case. The Annihilator really doesn't have any particularly special features other than the fact that it moves ridiculously slow and personally I think the design of it looks really stupid (but that's just my opinion). With the vast number of mechs available I personally wouldn't expect Annihilators to ever be in the game

#8 StealthSlicer

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:04 AM

View PostDymitry, on 06 August 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

The firepower is huge, but at that speed even an atlas can outrun you, I cannot see it doing anything but defending or assaulting static objects.

Although the wiki says 32kph with one engine upgrade on MW4M I have mine at 55kph (A standard Atlas is 57kph). I know that’s likely just MW4M, but you never know for sure.

#9 AntiSqueaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 713 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

View PostStealthSlicer, on 06 August 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

Yes, yes I'm well aware it's a clan mech, my point was it's been in the Inner Sphere for forty years.

Most likely, less than 50 Annihilators are in the IS right now. Wolf's Dragoons aren't just going to hand them out to people. You are probably not going to get one for a while, if ever. There's plenty of other IS/Clan Assaults that could be added in without upsetting the Canon.

Regardless, you could probably upgrade the stock 200 Engine to an XL-300, and get it up to Atlas speeds.

#10 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

View PostHyperion Adama, on 06 August 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

That has more firepower than an entire lance of mediums there's a variant out there with FIVE GAUSS RIFLES! It might be slow. But every variant brings so much firepower to a party you literally dont survive it. This is one of those mechs that you should be glad you dont see initially.

Except the Annihilator 1E has about 13.5 tons of armor and the 1A and 2A only has 12.5 tons of armor. That speed and low armor is pretty darn unforgiving.

The 1G (18.5 tons armor) and 1X (19 tons armor) are pretty much the Star League prototypes, which is pretty damn powerful. But don't exist in this timeline anymore.

Edited by EDMW CSN, 06 August 2012 - 07:09 AM.

#11 xX_Nero_Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDallas,Texas

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

well considering that you cant have cannon names or units that more than likely it be in the game under that house/unit speciality mech .
im sure though that you would have to be in that house unit but i could be wrong but that was i took from them saying that but i could be wrong.

#12 Sychodemus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

Eventually? Probably yes. But almost definitely later. As stated above, it is exceedingly rare.

And to be honest potentially overpowering. Four ballistic and four energy hardpoints in an optimum arrangement could make it a super-boat.

I would be hesitant and very careful about this.

#13 Dymitry

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

View PostStealthSlicer, on 06 August 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

Although the wiki says 32kph with one engine upgrade on MW4M I have mine at 55kph (A standard Atlas is 57kph). I know that’s likely just MW4M, but you never know for sure.

Actually mw4 mech speed was imaginative at best. All the mechs can move at the same speeds, its just a question of engine ratings, and weights, that are relative to the mech total weight. So by swapping out the 200 rated engine with the atlas 300, you would bring it to atlas EXACT speed, but losing 8.5 tons of loadout.

Edited by Dymitry, 06 August 2012 - 07:16 AM.

#14 StealthSlicer

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

Ohh well, if it gets in it gets in, if not so be it; I was just bringing this up as it’s not entiarly clear cut like all other mechs are, so I decided to put it to the community for their opinion. Personally I’m not bothered; I’d take the Daishi over the Annihilator any day. I wasn’t trying to be nooby and ask for the mech, I know very well that the mech was a rare one, I was simply wondering what people thought on the topic.

#15 Dymitry

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostStealthSlicer, on 06 August 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

Ohh well, if it gets in it gets in, if not so be it; I was just bringing this up as it’s not entiarly clear cut like all other mechs are, so I decided to put it to the community for their opinion. Personally I’m not bothered; I’d take the Daishi over the Annihilator any day. I wasn’t trying to be nooby and ask for the mech, I know very well that the mech was a rare one, I was simply wondering what people thought on the topic.

Hey, it's all good :) , your one was a perfectly legitimate question!

It's not like you went "WHERE IS MY MADCAT", and I am grateful for that.

You did call the Dire Wolf Daishi, but those are subtleties that most spheroids have issues with...

#16 StealthSlicer

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

View PostDymitry, on 06 August 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

Hey, it's all good :) , your one was a perfectly legitimate question!

It's not like you went "WHERE IS MY MADCAT", and I am grateful for that.

You did call the Dire Wolf Daishi, but those are subtleties that most spheroids have issues with...

Replace Timber Wolf and Mad Cat with Dire Wolf and Daishi...and of course substitute the picture with one of a Dire Wolf http://0-media-cdn.f...36493014588.jpg

Personaly I'm a Clan player and I do use the Clan names but sometimes that confuses Spheroids so i stick to using the Inner Sphere names when on forums etc.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

By strictly canon sources, the Mech is pretty much totally unavailable. The Dragoons have the only ones known ( I believe) in the Inner Sphere, and they only seem to have around a dozen or so, at any given time. How many more are stockpiled is unknown, and IDK if Blackwell Industries ever makes a new production of them.

Obviously some more could eventually arrive with Clan second-line garrison units, but even then I think the numbers would be slim.

BUT, if PGI wants to tinker in the grey areas of canon... they could always have Blackwell build them, and open them up for general sale like they eventually did with the MAD-II.

It is one of my favorite chassis by a lot, so I would love to see it, even if it's an uber-overpriced model to enforce it's rarity, or a "tournament" prize that is generally not available.

#18 Dymitry

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 August 2012 - 07:38 AM, said:

By strictly canon sources, the Mech is pretty much totally unavailable. The Dragoons have the only ones known ( I believe) in the Inner Sphere, and they only seem to have around a dozen or so, at any given time. How many more are stockpiled is unknown, and IDK if Blackwell Industries ever makes a new production of them.

Obviously some more could eventually arrive with Clan second-line garrison units, but even then I think the numbers would be slim.

BUT, if PGI wants to tinker in the grey areas of canon... they could always have Blackwell build them, and open them up for general sale like they eventually did with the MAD-II.

It is one of my favorite chassis by a lot, so I would love to see it, even if it's an uber-overpriced model to enforce it's rarity, or a "tournament" prize that is generally not available.

Hey look, a Steiner that likes a 100tons behemoth, how is that for a change?!? :)

#19 Hawktel

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

I am hoping that some of the more common mechs we are missing show before oddball one off mechs like the Anni, or Imp show.

Please give me Orions, Javilins, Urban mechs, Panthers, Quickdraw, Enforcers, Vulcans, Assassins, Banshee, Charger, Zues, Cyclops, Grasshoppers, Blackjack, And,

all the unseen,

And if they can't be done, all the retrotech varients of the Starleague mechs, like the Guillotine, Flashman, Lancelot, Kintaro, Highlander, King Crab, Mongoose, Wyvern, Hussar, Thorn.

Andwe should see some of the new productions mechs, like the Wolfhound, its counter, the Wolf Trap, the Mauler, should come out soon, or be out in the game.

And, after all that, then sure, why not, the Wolf's Dragoon designs.

#20 Steelersix

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationWichita, Ks

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

View PostStealthSlicer, on 06 August 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

There is a possibility that it could make it on the field because there have been cashes that have been found before that allowed new Tech to appear.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users