Single Player Campaign?

103 replies to this topic

Poll: Single Player Campaign (484 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a Single Player Campaign?

1. Voted Yes, I would pay for an expansion. (337 votes [61.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.38%

2. Yes, but I expect the story to be built into the F2P game itself. (126 votes [22.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.95%

3. No, I am uninterested in single player. (58 votes [10.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.56%

4. Voted Other, specify in post. (28 votes [5.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 8RoundsRapid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 301 posts
  • Locationupriver

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

I would love a single player or coop game of mechwarrior/battletech, but I absolutely do not want PGI to make it.

#42 Skull Ringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 132 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

Having a single player.. DVD or downloadable.. that would let noobs actually LEARN the game is Way beyond PGI in both concept or capacity. Unfortunately..

#43 Brilig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 667 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

This game could use a good training mission. Or set of training missions.

#44 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Why did you make this public?

#45 comSPEC

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

onlie means online. in other words, you can't play it offline.

#46 Zerstorer Stallin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

I'm for anything that continues this title to hit critical mass and possible get picked up by another dev team.

#47 trollocaustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

i voted both yes and no

#48 TemplarGFX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

I just want something in this game that is less about action, and more about tactics. I want a game mode that actually last a long time. The first few minutes of a game are slightly tactical, but then once it all starts going down. larger scale tactics are mostly forgotten.

Rather than adding a campaing (which I cant see them doing) add game modes that are more about progression. like capture a, capture b, capture c, destroy d with the enemy having defend a,b,c,d or destroy e.

#49 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:09 AM

you really summed it up in your voting options when you used the word "expansion" because i have a strong feeling that this is exactly what will happen if MWO reaches a high enough population after launch, to justify the expense of building an expansion.

personally i would love a single player campaign. think about it, you could gain unique skins and varients from completeing campaigns which is not pay to win, but would be a awsome way to give rewards that could be used in pvp wthout people QQ about it being OP.

also a single player campaign allows for the possibility that elementals, aerofighters and other vehicles could be pilotable.

on a similar train of thought, have any of you guys played star trek online. because 1 feature i love about that is that you can have pvp matches using shuttles, so there is no huge mis match of fire power. imo it would be awsome if pgi was able to do this with MWO.

#50 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

I would gleefully pay money to have an expansion that offered PvE content, especially if the story line was somehow integrated with multi-player matches.

#51 Vox Scorpus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts
  • LocationOn my mech - reloading my guns.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

Ok so we know this isn't going to happen either at all or at least anytime soon but so what. Think of a noob player able to run through these maps or new ones, piloting a mech and learning the game. Remember how great MechWarrior 2 was? Or 3? Think of what they could do with the graphics in a single player game. Obviously the storyline would have to be good. Why not add something more to the game that could get even more people to join in? It's great to add new mechs and maps every month but more will be needed at some point. Even WOW needs expansions to keep some people interested. Rock on Devs!

#52 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:28 AM

Not interested in Single player. It's all about the Pew Pew to make the QQ!!!!!

#53 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

I went with yes, but not for an only 1 player game per say. More for the idea of an expansion and a great addition to a great game, which Mechwarrior seems to be heading for.

btw as 3pv stands now it is tough to be optimistic. Hoping they will balance it and so on.

#54 LiegeOfThePit

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Okay first of all, look at the name of the game. It says Mech Warrior "Online" right? There is nothing that has to do with online in campaign. I was thinking along the lines of Co-op Campaign that way its still an online game, you can play with your friends and still play a storyline using the mechs you built.

#55 Zarlaren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationRoseburg

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

This would rock Yes all the way. I would like to have some pve days maby you just want to chill and relax and have a good time soloing It wouldn't matter to me if it was half rewards just to experience new content is enough for me and somedays you just don't feel like dying over and over. I think this would rock and I would love to see faction discounts on camos and mechs as well as you dive deeper into the lore roleplay campaign missions.

#56 RedThirteen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 159 posts
  • LocationRockets

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

as likely as community warfare being released.

#57 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostDragonlord, on 09 August 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

What if you could fight NPC's that acted like real players?

That would be the holy grail of game AI, and to expect any given set of developers to come up with it is extremely unreasonable.

#58 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

I would happily pay a full-game price (60+) for a full SP campaign. As much fun as beating people to pulp in 7 minute long bursts is, it's nothing more then that. Gimme some depth.

#59 Chou Senwan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 403 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

{Repost from reddit.}
  • Date: 13 August 3007
  • System: New Valencia
  • Unit: McCarron's Armored Cavalry (mercenary, in employ of House Liao)
  • Target: Wolf's Dragoons (mercenary, in employ of House Davion)
The blue-green disk of the planet New Valencia floats in a black field of stars. A horizontal slice of light cuts across the scene in the foreground, then with a loud bass thrum it expands vertically, rasterizing into a massive Monolith-class jumpship. Eight dropships sit attached to its surface, and their lights flicker on as they power up after the jump.

We cut close to one of those dropships, Leopard class, showcasing the logo of McCarron's Armored Cavalry and the name Ironshod.

{Radio Chatter}

Jumpship Captain: Jump was a success. We are at L1 pirate point between target and its moon, distance . . . Sh*t. Forget what I just said about a successful jump. We missed the gravitational trough. Orbit is not stable. Check systems for damage and detach dropships ASAP. We're about to pull some high-G maneuvers, and your stomach's not gonna like it.

We cut to the Ironshod's interior. Fluorescent overhead lamps flicker and yellow alarm bulbs flash in a narrow hallway, at once high-tech and run-down, with patches of rust and missing panels revealing exposed wiring.

{{More radio chatter, most of it faded out as other dropships report in. Then we hear, loud and clear:}}

Dropship Captain: Dropship Ironshod reporting. Detach in five. Looks like we took some shearing. Cutting non-essential power. Hull integrity good, but keep your space suits on, just in case. Mechwarriors, load up and check for gremlins, because we're on the clock.

In the hallway, the lights go out except for flashing yellow hazards. A door opens, dark inside, and a figure climbs out at a weird angle. We realize this is zero-gravity as he grabs onto ladder rungs set into the wall. He's dressed in a light space suit and neurohelmet. Two more clamber out after him, and then the guy at the rear waves into the room.

Lancemate 2: "Dammit, private! How the hell did you fall asleep during a jump? Get in your mech!"

Then you crawl out, and we cut to a first person view as you pull yourself along the wall, down a short hallway, and through a heavy pressure door. You look up into a dark hangar, and then spot-lights snap on, illuminating four mechs clamped into place: Jenner, Shadow Hawk, Thunderbolt, and Hunchback. A digital countdown clock glows a bright orange, ticking down from 4:22.

You see your sergeant and your two lance-mates crawling along the walls to their mechs.

A voice calls out, "Sergeant, we got a problem!" and everyone turns to see a techie in a yellow space-suit, his feet in stirrups to keep from drifting away from the computer panel he's operating. The sergeant climbs over to him, and you come up behind them.

"Power surge hit your Shadow Hawk, sarge," says the techie. "Looks like it knocked out the radio transmitter and most of the command console."

"What?" the sergeant yells. "How the hell am I supposed to communicate with Command? Can you fix it?"

"Not in," he checks the countdown clock, "three and a half minutes."

"Great. Well I need a mech that works."

You turn to see the other two lance members, both raising one finger. "Not it." "Not it."

The sergeant turns and look at you. "You've volunteered, private. Take my Shadow Hawk. I'll take your dinky little Jenner. Don't go running into a bunch of enemies, don't fire every weapon at once, and don't play with my dice."

We cut to another wide shot of the jumpship as other dropships detach, two Leopard class, two Union class and three Overlord.

{More radio chatter, and finally we hear the commander of McCarron's Armored Cavalry.}

Archibald McCarron: Cavaliers, this is your Colonel Archibald McCarron. We are deep in Davion territory, inbound to New Valencia, the base of operations for Wolf's Dragoons.

He continues to talk over the radio as you reach the cockpit of the Shadow Hawk and climb inside. Through the cockpit window you can see the countdown clock at 1:28. A pair of fuzzy dice hang from the ceiling.

Archibald McCarron: I don't have to remind you about the cruel tricks the Dragoons have pulled on us these past few months, but now we're going to pay those b*st*rds back.

His voice fades into the background as your lancemates chime in.

Lancemate 1: This man has anger issues.

Sarge: Cut the chatter. Private, to turn on my mech, enter code 'Mac attack is back.'

You type in the code, and the mech starts to boot up with the classic, "Reactor, online. Sensors, online. Weapons, online." Then it adds, "All systems . . . radio offline. Other systems nominal." You flick the fuzzy dice with your fingers, then grab the control stick.

Lancemate 1: I'm just saying, this is a stupid drop.

Lancemate 2: All due respect, he's right.

Sarge: 'All due respect,' the colonel could have you shot for insubordination. Now follow the good example the private is setting, and don't say a peep.

Lancemate 1: All due respect, private's radio's out.

Sarge: Shut it. Buckle in tight. We're launching in 30.

Once again we hear the voice of McCarron over the radio as the ship's klaxons sound and it prepares to detach.

Archibald McCarron: Get prepared for a lovely two weeks of destruction and plunder. Hit 'em hard, burn down their homes, and slag any Dragoon mechs you spot. Don't get lost, because anyone still on the ground 15 days from now had better hope the Dragoon's are hiring. Stay tuned for your orders. Archibald out.

We view the dropship from outside as it detaches and thrusters fire. Within moments it's far enough from the jumpship to engage a hot burn, and it flies after the rest of the drop fleet. In the distance, more lines slice open the starry sky, as yet more jump ships arrive, preparing for a massive assault.

Then a final line slices across the whole scene, expanding into the logo: Mechwarrior: Wolves on the Border

So, the plot line goes like this:
  • Land on New Valencia, have an easy mission where you and your team take out some stationary defenses and then a lance of Urbanmechs. (You use a Shadow Hawk at first because it has every major weapon type - laser, ballistic, LRM, and SRM.) You're ordered to form up with the battalion, but along the way you're intercepted by a company of Dragoons' pilots, who defeat you. That's when we have character creation.
  • You wake up in a medical ward, see a wall calendar that says you missed your exit window, and ask if the Dragoons are hiring. Your starting rank depends on how many mechs you took out in the first mission.
Cue a years-long series of chapters as you become part of the Wolf's Dragoons and work for the different houses of the Inner Sphere. Each chapter could be released as a paid download pack, including:
  • Minor engagements while working for House Liao.
  • The Marik civil war where you get betrayed.
  • The botched assault on Hesperus II.
  • A mysterious time when you get left behind and the rest of the unit departs, then returns with fresh supplies.
  • The ongoing feud with the Waco Rangers.
  • Battling House Kurita's Second Sword of Light.
  • Joining House Kurita and eventually being forced into battle with old allies on the planet Misery.
Throughout all this, you can rise from a Mechwarrior, to a Lance Commander, Company Commander, Battalion Commander, and possibly even Regimental Colonel. And after the campaign ends, you're offered a choice to retire, start your own merc unit, or stay on with the Dragoons, in which case you're brought in on a little secret about the unit's origin. . . .

#60 Steel Talon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

When u have that AI, u can make plenty of things like SP campaign, CO-OP or combined arms.
Problem is that some1 must write that AI, which is not that simple task, especially for infantry to look realistically.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users