9 replies to this topic

#1 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

Rebuilt my system for MWO and just installed my graphics card. When I did Win 7 no longer recognizes my onboard audio and uses my graphics card HDMI. I removed my old graphics card, installed the new one and then installed my Catalyst drivers and have a big red X on my Audio Device Output on my task bar. Under Sounds/Playback Options I have 5 HDMI Digital Audio that arent connected.

I no longer have RealTek Manager. Speakers are not listed as a device and neither is my Mic. Nothing on my rear panel onboard i/o is being recognized. Prior to putting in the graphics card everything worked but now it is like everything is dead back there.

I have tried a bunch of things, but I am now looking for some help.

CPU: AMD FX 6200 3.8 G R (6 Core Processors)
GPU: Radeaon 7850 MSI Twin Frozr 2GD5 2GB GDDR5
MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme3 AM3+ R
RAM: 4 GB Mushkin (one of my Ram sticks was bad and working on RMA)

#2 Berserker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:48 AM

You sound fairly savvy so you may already have gone here but I'd be looking in two places to start:
1) Device Manager in Control Panel: I'd expect you to find the RealTek soundcard disabled in there, may be as easy as enabling it. If it isn't under audio devices, I think you'll have to download and install the drivers for the card or run the autodetect plug+play detecter, maybe Catalyst somehow pulled the drivers off.
2) This is a longer shot but there is frequently a toggle in BIOS for on-board video vs add-in graphics card, perhaps there is one that is for on-board audio?

#3 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:01 AM

The HDMI port delivers sound and vision, i used to have that problem when i had my PC hooked up to my TV. The reason for this is a PC can only have 1 default playback device i was using a soundblaster add in card, so just had to enable it when i wanted headphones

If you go into control panel, hardware and sound, under sound you should be able to just change the default device away from HDMI.

If you onboard sound is not listed there, i would check the bios for the onboard sound option and make sure its on. If it is and you still have issues try using the disc from the motherboard to re install the drivers for the onboard audio.

Edited by DV McKenna, 19 August 2012 - 05:02 AM.

#4 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

Beserker:

No soundcard in Device Manager and even looked for hidden devices. I installed the Realtek_Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(6378) drivers and still nothing in Device Manager. Checked for new devices and nothing there either. For some reason my mobo calls its BIOS a UEFI and yes Onboard HD Audio is Enabled. I also enabled IOMMU trying to see if that helped. So far no sound.

DV McKenna:

Went into Sound and did not see an option to change my default device. There is not a speaker icon or a microphone icon. Both were there before installing the video card. Tried installing the drivers for the onboard audio and rebooted. As far as I can tell it didnt do anything. Still nothing besides the HDMI devices in Sound. All I have in Device Manager under Sound, Video and Game Controllers is High Definition Audio Device. When I scan for new devices thinking that it might detect it, I get nothing.

Edited by Zolaz, 19 August 2012 - 06:13 AM.

#5 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

go into your device manager and disable the amd hd sound on your video card it soundsl ike its conflicting with your realtek drivers

#6 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

View PostLightdragon, on 19 August 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

go into your device manager and disable the amd hd sound on your video card it soundsl ike its conflicting with your realtek drivers

From googleing be careful this can sometime cause more issues.

In the sound panel right click and make sure show disabled devices is ticked. This should display the items the HDMI connection has disabled.

Posted Image

Edited by DV McKenna, 19 August 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#7 Starlance

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

This was a tough nut for me that I encountered a couple years ago.
First issue was getting the device to actually load, which took me to Bios.

Under Bios in the "Onboard Devices Configuration" there was the "High Definition Audio" setting, which obviously had to be Enabled. But there was also another setting just under it "Front Panel Type" which had two options, "HD Audio" and "AC97". I found that if it was set to HD Audio then my onboard RealTek device would not be detected by Windows 7, but if i changed it to the analog setting (AC97) it would show up. The only conclusion I drew from this is that because the onboard RealTek sound was an analog device, Windows 7 was possibly prioritizing the HDMI sound device the Grahpics card has over the RealTek because it actually supported a HD signal. (Of course I never had any problem with this in Windows XP)

With the RealTek device now showing up in Windows 7. I encountered a 2nd problem. The Drivers that worked for this device in Windows XP were not right for it in Windows 7. I eventually got a hold of a driver package that worked for the device and enjoyed 'sound' once again.

However, I did not get a fairytale ending to this. For some reason that completely eluded me at the time, evey so often when the computer was booted up / restarted, the onboard RealTek device would vanish again, without any change in settings or update/installation. After a restart or two, it would appear again.

After putting up with this for some time, I decided to go back to using a Soundcard instead of onbaord sound. I went with a "Asus Xonar" device instead of a "Creative" soundcard because I had heard good things about the support for their devices. My past experience with Creative support was that they would stop driver updates on devices once they had a new one on the market. I have not looked back since getting it.

Edit: Obviously make sure you're looking in the Device Manager and not the Sound Devices in Windows 7 Control Panel when you try switching the setting to analog from HD in Bios, because if the right drivers are not on your system for Windows 7 it ain't going to show up there until its been assigned drivers.

Edited by Starlance, 19 August 2012 - 07:57 AM.

#8 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Sorry i'm not more help, but I also had this issue about a year ago.

I think it had something to do with 'All-in-one' drivers for the video card overiding the motherboards audio drivers. I believe what I did was uninstall both sets of drivers and reloaded them in different orders until they worked. It's a semi-known issue. Might be easier to just do a full re installation of windows than to mess with drivers.

#9 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

did you look in your BIOS to see whether the onboard audio was disabled? I also disabled my vid card audio capability because I have a SB extremegamer XF-i installed. works grandly!

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 19 August 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#10 PeZzy

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

In the BIOS setup, in the section where it asks yes or no to a PnP OS, you should usually select "no" - even with Windows 7. Otherwise, Windows finds a way of screwing things up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users