Helping People new to the Universe out....

31 replies to this topic

#1 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

No I'm not new but I figure we will see quite an influx of threads starting with "newbie" or "Help" so I'm hoping this thread could be stickied and provide answers to those unfamiliar with Mechwarrior.

Note: I may take a few snippets from my previous answers in other threads.

The Game Universe

History

Back in the 1980s Battletech was born, it was a time of Mecha from Japan being popular and board gaming.
This lovely pair created a great product (in my opinion) called Battletech.
So when you think of the future don't think of cyberpunk or AIs in this setting. Think more of clunky walking tanks fighting over scraps of technology and water on far flung worlds.

This link ([color="#ffa504"]http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=23[/color]) will take you to the Brief history of the Battletech Universe from 2100s to the 3060s, a time frame far into the future compared to this games' timeframe of 3050.
Is it required reading? Not really but it would help you understand things when people refer to "The Clans" or "The Houses".
The Houses
Chances are you will throw your services to one of the Great Houses. These are interstellar empires surrounding the Terra system (Earth's solar system) that fight against each other for domination.

From the board game PoV there have been countless breakdowns of how certain factions fought in universe at the Battletech Forums: [color="#ffa504"]http://bg.battletech.com/forums/[/color]

Since the video game will be different due to players doing their own things some of what I say might be moot.

Overall here's what I discovered during my time playing the board game at least:

Federated Suns: Davions were one of the first few houses to really get into combined arms, but since this video game won't have that for some time we can rely on the next item of discussion which is designs. FedSun 'Mech designs love Autocannons, the more dakka dakka the better. They've typically fielded decent and maneuverable Medium class 'Mechs as well.

Draconis Combine: Kurita enriches their soldiers with the spirit of bushido and as such one-on-one fighting wasn't that strange to encounter. Expect designs from the glorious Dragon to be mostly Lights, Heavies, and some Assaults; they never really took to the Medium weights because it didn't have the speed nor firepower. Expect PPCs and plenty of energy based weapons but watch out because their designs were not heat efficient.

Lyran Commonwealth: Steiner loves big 'Mechs and cannot lie. The more metal they can wrap around them the better! Notorious for the "Wall of Steel" approach, their glacier pace of doom will play great for defensive players. Aside from the Free Worlds League this faction was a monetary and industrial powerhouse.

Capellan Confederation: Long live glorious House Liao, the Celestial Wisdom! Sure they've been raided, attacked, and mocked to the point where they practically aren't powerful but they are tenacious.
Light 'Mechs, mines, hidden rules, and basically being sneaky little guy will win you respect within the halls of Liao. Remember that the people serve the State and the State cares for the people.

Free Worlds League: House Marik oversees a vast confederation and a powerful industrial realm. The arm merchants to the stars. They've got missiles, they've got Heavies and Mediums, they've got plenty to shoot and shoot at all for the right price. Where the other realms are ruled with iron fists the League is a Parliament and civil war is sometimes commonplace. So yes they'll fight each other, they'll fight you, and they'll sell their weapons for a decent deal!

Free Rasalhague Republic: Space vikings is a quick way to describe them. Their lands were conquered by the Draconis Combine but not their spirits! Hardy warriors who fought for their freedom only to get it by a political deal thanks to Comstar and the Draconis Combine. The Combine needed tech desperately after getting attacked by Davion and Steiner (these two form the Federated Commonwealth around 3025 or so). Comstar wanted something in exchange, the Principality of Rasalhague freed. Though there was celebrating there was also war, previous land owners of the Combine inside the FRR were booted out and tried to take their old lands by force. During these Ronin wars mercs were in high demand but sometimes treated the FRR less than stellar. The Rasalhague people still keep prejudice against money warriors because of these actions. Tactics wise they've kept close to the Draconis Combine and didn't really make much of an impact.
EDIT UPDATE: The FRR have played a defensive war against the Combine for quite some time so expect sneak attacks and entrinched warfare. They've really gone aggressive against pirates before the Clans came.

Comstar: I'm throwing this in because they might be used someday so let's put them in! Posted Image Imagine AT&T, Microsoft, and Apple combined to make a religious army that tried to control the flow of technology. You've got ComStar! Founded by Jerome Blake right around the time Kerensky scuttled off to the Periphery this once corporation took on mystical trappings when Blake died and his loyal follower, Conrad Toyama, took control. These guys control Earth, the Terra system, and have maintained quite a bit of the old Star League tech while the Houses kept bashing each other's heads in.
Surely a powerful, mystical, and secretive faction wouldn't try to endanger humanity? Right? Posted Image

Once again this isn't a know-all-be-all to how each House plays but rather a nice little summary.

The Clans
As of this posting you won't be playing Clan. Hopefully that will change but until then here's some information about them.
Back during the Golden Age of humanity when most of it was united under a Star League there was a great army assembled. The leader was named Aleksander (Alexander) Kerensky, he protected the First Lord of the Star League (basically the head of Space NATO Posted Image ) until an assassination attempt caused a coupe within the League. Kerensky and his people fought a big civil war leading all the way to Terra itself and won but at a high price.
The five remaining House Lords stripped Kerensky of his rank as the Protector to the First Lord and commanded his forces to disband. If they did then the House Lords could take the sweet technology within and use it for their purposes. He said no and left for the far reaches of space, the Periphery, with 70% or so of the Star League Defense Force.

For 300 years no one heard from Kerenksy or even if his people survived the trip until 3050.
Strange reports of powerful pirates and weapons beyond the current limitations of 300 years of Succession Wars caused a stir when the truth was found.

Kerensky's people survived, grew, and prepared themselves for war with the Inner Sphere Houses.

Put simply they have better tech but utilize a ritual combat to limit losses, which made them easy targets for the House Lord's warriors to take advantage.

The Mercenaries
Hired guns, people willing to do anything for a price, so basically you! Posted Image
Some mercs sign with Houses for long term contracts while others go from place to place.

Mechwarrior Online

This site doesn't have much information at the time of this post (November 1 2011) but hopefully that will change really quick. However from what I can gleam on this site there will be a focus on teamwork within a lance (that's 4 'Mechs working together). Scouting, Defending, Attacking, and Commanding were described in a couple of articles. I don't have any tactics or breakdown for this yet sadly but it would make sense that someone finds a target, someone makes the call if the lance should beat him/her up, and everyone has a jolly time... except for the poor fellow getting squashed. Posted Image

From what's been published the action will take place in the seat of your 'Mech and you are the warrior who commands it, so Mechwarrior fits. It seems to be a first person game much like the Tesla Firestorm Pods of old.

Once again my postings aren't know-all-be-all and someone will find something that needs fixing or clarification. If you find it please do so, this thread should be useful in helping those completely new with our Universe I hope. Posted Image

CryENGINE®3 will power this game. (http://mwomercs.com/...nline%e2%84%a2/)

More Helpful Links!
http://mwomercs.com/...sources-thread/ Rip Snorgan made a helpful thread that is a collection of links to other websites. These sites range from the Battletech fan wiki up to the main Battletech Portal.

http://mwomercs.com/...tions-and-tech/ Named "MechWarrior Lore, A Beginner's Guide - History, Factions and Tech" it provides a great summary of where we will be once this game kicks off!

Edited by Atlas3060, 12 June 2012 - 08:15 AM.

#2 Deaths Touch

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

For the love of ***, sticky this. Great for new people.

#3 Andrew Harvey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCornfield, Indiana

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

Very good job! I was thinking of something like this but you beat me to it. I might have included a labeled map of the Inner Sphere prior to the invasion, but this is excellent by itself. I think a sticky may be in order.

#4 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

Very nice. This does deserve a sticky! Knowledge is power, and also leads to less honorless noobs on the field of battle! :)

#5 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

Nice work! And I agree it's needed. Perhaps we can somehow combine your thread here with mine over here http://mwomercs.com/...sources-thread/ and get some kind of "everything anyone new to the universe needs to know" type thread?

#6 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

http://www.sarna.net...Mech_Technology

Here's another one for your pile of links. :)

+1 on stickying.

Edited by Pht, 01 November 2011 - 04:39 PM.

#7 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

Good work Pht!

#8 The1WithTheGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationRight behind you

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=23

This link provides a good rundown of the history (and future from this game's perspective) of the Inner Sphere, as well as links to more specific info. (may still be a work in progress - Catalyst recently refurbished their site and are still adding stuff at the time of this posting).

Edited by the1withthegun, 01 November 2011 - 04:49 PM.

#9 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

Great Job guys, this is exactly the kind of thread that a new player would need to fully immerse themselves into the Battletech Universe.

We need this pinned!

#10 Recon

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

Im completely new to all this, and this helped explain a few things. (I figured the houses acted in some ways to the same as the ones in Dune... kinda right with the fighting, and different beliefs and such, but I still got a lot to learn.)

EDIT: Thanks :)

Edited by Recon, 01 November 2011 - 05:04 PM.

#11 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

View Postsilentwolff, on 01 November 2011 - 04:40 PM, said:

Good work Pht!

Thank Cray over at the Main Battletech site. He did the writeup in Techmanual, and whoever it was that did the older writeup in the battletech companion.

All I did was re-write the stuff so it would be ok to put on the wiki. None of the stuff is original to me - it's from the books.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Timeline

The obligatory insanely indepth timeline.

And Battletech Industries, an awesome way to find out where your toys are made...

And the Official Battletech Master Unit list, for the "gotta have em all" types.

#12 Starne

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

Very nice, thanks. Hopefully, this will help newbies become familiar with the universe. I hope this gets sticky'd until some kind of official primer is made available.

#13 The1WithTheGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationRight behind you

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

View Postomega5-9er, on 01 November 2011 - 04:00 PM, said:

Knowledge is power

AHEM. I do believe a more appropriate quote would be "Information is ammunition"! :)

#14 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

Also, the Free Rasalhague Republic is around in this time and is going to be a playable faction. Update the thread?

http://www.sarna.net...lhague_Republic

Everyone should like the OP post, lets get a sticky going!

#15 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

View Postrip snorgan, on 01 November 2011 - 04:08 PM, said:

Nice work! And I agree it's needed. Perhaps we can somehow combine your thread here with mine over here http://mwomercs.com/...sources-thread/ and get some kind of "everything anyone new to the universe needs to know" type thread?

you are added :)

#16 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

View Postthe1withthegun, on 01 November 2011 - 05:23 PM, said:

AHEM. I do believe a more appropriate quote would be "Information is ammunition"! :D

MY HOME PLANET! Sorry I couldn't resist.

View Postjack gallows, on 01 November 2011 - 05:25 PM, said:

Also, the Free Rasalhague Republic is around in this time and is going to be a playable faction. Update the thread?

http://www.sarna.net...lhague_Republic

Oooo one half of the future RasDom will be in this game. :) I'll update soon!

#17 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

Admins...

+1 to merging the two threads and creating a pinned information topic.

It would be a MASSIVE help to newcomers to the Battletech universe, and the universe is a HUGE part of the game!

#18 Smokem Jags

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

Universe is secondary only to the Battlemechs themselves. I have ALL the classic novels, I've read them to pieces. :)

#19 Reoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:01 AM

Damnit, I just posted a quicker crappier version of this for some other new player. Nice effort!

#20 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:51 AM

It was a good post too, like I said if someone has stuff to add or I missed stuff by all means do so!
The more posts we have helping the new guys means the bigger the community which shows the gaming world Mechwarriors don't die off. :)
to quote an old phrase about Battletech:
"Other robot games are fads. They will pass. Battletech has the support of large, suspender-wearing men with Jerry Garcia beards. Our cause is just. We will last forever." - 3rdCrucisLancers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users