Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries - How to download and play.

61 replies to this topic

#21 That Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

I have had some luck installing MW2mercs from the .img file linked above using MechVM. however, when ever i launch a mission it tells me the disk is not loaded, and sends me back to the launch screen

from the info out there it seems changing the img file to a bin/cue file makes it playable, but i cant find a program to convert img to those other types. i tried to convert the img to a an iso, but i dont think it worked correctly as the new file is about 1/3 the size (and the game dosnt recognize it).

#22 Der Kommissar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

Assuming that MW2: Mercs is legitimate abandonware, one could save users here a lot of time by simply mirroring the file on a file sharing site. Old as the game is, it'd be a quick download, too.

#23 TaxMaster

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

To play it with MechVM, I think you need to have/make the .cue file and have it mounted while you play.

#24 That Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

how do you make said file type?

#25 ShaunBearU

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 26 posts
  • LocationChicago (Western Periphery), IL

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

I just visited this site today. The link listed brings up an FBI anti-piracy warning. Activision is still holding on to the rights.

#26 memphis86

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 33 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

Can you upload the Zip´s here ? Please :P

#27 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostPatrick Fischer, on 27 June 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

I just visited this site today. The link listed brings up an FBI anti-piracy warning. Activision is still holding on to the rights.

No, it's from the megaupload scandal. FBI shut down the site and arreste anyone connected to it.

Funny thing the owner of the site had no real connection to USA and therefor, they arrested someone with no right to do so.

#28 capt bishop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationInside a bunker at a undisclosed location

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:59 AM

I downloaded the files and I cant open them. I have winrar but its not winrar openable. Its some .zip format.

#29 bigjeff5

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostAdridos, on 02 July 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

No, it's from the megaupload scandal. FBI shut down the site and arreste anyone connected to it.

Funny thing the owner of the site had no real connection to USA and therefor, they arrested someone with no right to do so.

I'm all for screwing big corporations taking advantage of (and perpetuating, and expanding) a screwed up copyright system, but this is total BS and you probably know it.

First off, a significant fraction, if not the majority of MegaUpload's servers were US based, and a significant fraction, if not a majority of MegaUpload's revenues came from US customers.

You don't have to be a citizen of a country in order to be beholden to its laws. Doing business in a country means you must follow all the laws of a country that relate to that business (even those only tangentally related, like not murdering people when you are on a site visit, just as an example). If you don't, expect some consequences.

Second, countries generally find it advantageous to work together wherever it is reasonably possible. To that effect, they've invented these really cool things called treaties. Treaties do a lot of things, but the most important thing they can do as relates to the MegaUpload case is they basically say "We'll enforce these laws to the benefit of your people doing business in our country, if you'll enforce similar laws for the benefit of our people doing business in your country." The US and New Zealand, and in fact the majority of "First World" countries, have exactly such an agreement for copyright, called the Berne Convention.

Based on that alone Kim "Dotcom" and his cronies would have been royally screwed. NZ would have prosecuted the crap out of them and sent them to jail for half a decade or more with just the RIAA/MPAA asking them to. It wouldn't be so bad though, really, they only would have been on the hook for all the file sharing in New Zealand, not the US.

Unfortunately for them, the US and New Zealand have another kind of treaty, which basically says "If one of your citizens commits what we consider to be a serious crime in our country, and we present you with reasonable evidence that they did, you'll send him to us so we can prosecute them." It's called an Extradition Treaty, and most "First World" countries have these as well. The generally aren't a mass treaty like the Berne Convention, because some countries have laws that other countries don't agree with, or find certain laws to be more serious than others, but they all have them.

So the top dogs at MegaUpload were extradited to the US for breaking US laws, and New Zealand totally agrees that that was 100% the right thing to do or they would never have arrested the MegaUpload folks and delivered them to the US. You can say NZ had little choice, but that's total BS as well - the US is not going to go to war, or do anything even remotely more drastic than would cost NZ about 350 million dollars, for a copyright claim. That's exactly what treaties exist for.

The only reason MegaUpload got caught doing anything illegal was because they were dumbasses and allowed staff members to request specific copyrighted content from other staff members via email, which they were required by law to save. I miss MegaUpload, but they did certainly deserve what they got - if not so much for breaking the law, than for being so stupid about it.

On the subject of the legallity of this software:

No it is not nor has it ever been illegal to download and use copyrighted material.
Yes it is and always has been illegal to copy and share (aka "distribute"), via any means, copyrighted material. Sharing MW2Merc won't be legal for another 100 years or so.
If you have to circumvent any form of copy protection (entering a license key, keeping the disc loaded, file encryption, etc.) in order to use the copyrighted material, whether you paid for it or not, you are breaking copyright law.

Yes, copyright law is incredibly screwed up, and I advocate breaking it at just about every opportunity, just be aware of when you are and are not actually breaking the law, and that there are potentially repercussions. Sharing is what they want to stop, so all other cases of infringement are basically moot (unless you are sharing and they can tag you on that charge too, or you are enabling a large number of people to circumvent copy protection). Also, nobody is going to care about protecting the copyright on a 15+ year old game. Nobody has made money on that game in 10 years, so it just isn't worth it. It's super low-risk. This is why abandonware websites can exist at all - because nobody freaking cares.

Last but not least: Yes, I signed up mostly just to post this (it's the first I've heard of MWO though, I know someone in the closed beta, and it inspired me to take a crack at the game I loved so much so many years ago), yes copyright is a major pet peeve of mine, and yes I know that makes me a huge nerd.

#30 Akatama

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

Step 4 where you

Burn the .IMG to a disk as a Disk Image
is not working for me, as it says `The selected disc image file isn't valid' and as previously mentioned, it doesn't look like converting to .iso/.cue is going to help very much. Has ANYONE here successfully managed to get an image of Artifice's MW2Mercs burnt and working with their pc (Win. 7, XP, Vista, or under an emulator.) because I've been at this for several hours now and not making very much progress. I know how to use DosBox, I have the files downloaded and uncompressed, just having problems with burning the disc image. If anyone could shed some light on this, that would be great.

#31 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

DosBox is usually the easiest solution for running ancient video games. The second easiest way would be to buy an old PoS rig that has Windows 98 on it and then install/play the game on that computer instead of your newer one. But they're hard to find these days as even the oldest PCs now seem to at least have Windows XP on them.

#32 Deedsie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

I too am unable to do anything with the files, and yes, I run 7x64.

#33 Nacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned about using FreeDOS. http://www.freedos.org/

I still have my original HP's MW2:Merc disc and was able to play with FreeDOS on it after installation.

#34 zer0imh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 581 posts
  • LocationFomalhaut

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

soundtrack of this game... epic

#35 Euphor Kell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOz (Australia)

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

so far, i've used MECHVM (www.MeshVM.org) with no worries... it works from my original CD-Roms, but i've also made an ISO/CUE files to mount with Daemon tools (www.daemon-tools.cc) simply because the old CD is starting to skip a bit on a few tracks, and i don't want it to die on me...

if you're having trouble, the guys over at Mech2.org have some great stuff and are real helpful about getting the games working.

oh, make sure you have the DOS versions of the game, because the Titanium pack that came out is really hard to get working, but the DOS versions are a breeze.

#36 ThoR294

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

Posted Image

hahah OH NO 150MB!?!?!?!

#37 ThoR294

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

i get a full screen error then some weird error ^_^* DONT WORK ugh I was so excited

#38 WidowMaker91

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDelran, New Jersey

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

i have mech 2 mercs and mech 2 mercs 3dfx edition running on

MechVM

( windows 7 64 bit )

http://www.mechvm.org/

amazing tool, read the forums if you're curious

#39 Durendalos

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

I can't get the game running. It always says that there's no CD/no cd img found. ; /

#40 DrCapon

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

There must be a bloody easier way, I don't understand, because theres seven IMG files to download, I don't get how I can possibly do anything with those (I am not really computer savvy)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users