Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries - How to download and play.

61 replies to this topic

#61 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:56 PM

View PostChocolater, on 02 December 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

Same problems as above. When I try to click on mercs.exe in windows explorer I get the incompatible error. Also if I try and launch the game through dosbox I get the unable to find CD error...I am on windows 8.1. I am wondering if anyone has gotten this to work with windows 8. I have the win95/DOS 3d enhanced edition. I tried mechvm and it is very promising but CTD at mission start. Both the win 95 and dos versions boot up and I can navigate menus with sound and everything but crash when game attempts to load. Any ideas? Did I get the wrong version? Or am I just hosed....so much for nostalgia lol

Been reading through this topic.....in case any one is interested I found a few bugs with the dos version of mech2 and fixed them, then created a little patch that should get it to run on xp, vista, windows 7, and windows 8 through dos box. Just PM me if you are interested.

Note: before anyone asks what the fix was, my honest answer is I don't remember. I did this a while back; all I know is it seems to run quite flawlessly.

Another Note: i made the patch for mech2:31st century and mech2:mercs, but not Ghost Bear. Recently I tried delving into Ghost Bear but hadn't come up with a solution.

Edited by Stingray1234, 10 March 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#62 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

http://www.mechvm.org/

Here you guys go, you want to play Mechwarrior 2/GB/Mercs on your PC, look no further.

It's a preconfigured Dosbox enviornment that even works with the 3DFX versions of the game [if you have a 3dfx glide emulator like nglide for Nvidia cards.]

Seriously thank me later because this is the best damned way to play mechwarrior 2 I've ever run across, and it runs pretty much flawlessly.

Edit: So that's been posted a ton... lol still worth reposting atleast.

Edited by Jade Kitsune, 14 April 2014 - 08:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users