Non Canon Battlemechs- Do they have a place in MW:O?

136 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll Dancers Vote Here: (139 member(s) have cast votes)

Can new mechs be added?

1. No. (77 votes [55.40%])

Percentage of vote: 55.40%

2. Maybe, if mech experts introduce them and there are things like news feeds to support their entry and they make sens in the time frame of BTU that we are playing in. (46 votes [33.09%])

Percentage of vote: 33.09%

3. Yes (10 votes [7.19%])

Percentage of vote: 7.19%

4. I am unsure! (5 votes [3.60%])

Percentage of vote: 3.60%

5. Other - Please explain! (1 votes [0.72%])

Percentage of vote: 0.72%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

As well all know, or most of us.. possibly even some of us...
MekTek took Mechwarrior 4 and made a mod which added tons and tons (literaly, TONS) of Mechs and Equipment to the Microsoft rendition of Mechwarrior (no, not the game which shall not be named, the read headed stepchild before that pair.)

Along with adding a number of Canon mech's and equipment, they added a handfull of Battlemechs as well. One such felt so canon I did not even realise it was MekTek created untill I looked it up in Sarna.
[ http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Black_Heart ] [ http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Warthog ]
With I think with a little bit of tooling, that these mechs could develop a rich and deep history inte world that we know.

Yep I can see it now, the bronies are starting to get their linches out.:C But look, they dont have hands, some one on this forums has to appreceat that, right?

In all seriousness, the question I would like to purpose, Do these or any other non canon mechs have a place in MW:O? Is there any way the Dev team could add a 'new' mech into canon of MW:O? Like for example, a certian Randall Bills who has made some of the mechs that are in the canon, decided to take a whack at making a new Battlemech just for MW:O. Would this be wrong? Or would this be an unforgivable sin?

Edited by Omigir, 17 February 2012 - 08:34 AM.

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

Canon

I'm ok with it, but considering the sheer number of canon mechs to choose from I doubt there will be a need to do so.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 17 February 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#3 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

There I think I got all the extra 'n's save for the tittle, nothing I can do about that.

#4 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 17 February 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

Canon

I'm ok with it, but considering the sheer number of canon mechs to choose from I doubt there will be a need to do so.

I'm with Capper on this, more than enough mechs as it is that are canon. Maybe if they got all the canon mechs in for the time period, but that is a lot as it stands.

#5 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

Stick with Canon mechs first.
In fact the only 100 ton IS mechs that made it into the game are mostly the IS Atlas and Annihilators.

If taking 2750 SL designs and 3050 Invasion Era. We got Atlas (slugger D variant or sniper K variant), Annihilator (AC-10 boat), Imp (energy boat), Marauder II (Jump capable 100 tonner), King Crab (dual AC-20 boat) and the Atlas II (all round fighter). Out of the 6, we got only 2 readily shown in the IS line up.

This gotta change no ? And this is just the 100 tonner designs !

Edited by [EDMW]CSN, 17 February 2012 - 08:45 AM.

#6 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Imp
Posted Image
There is a very good reason this was never shown in a game...

#7 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostOmigir, on 17 February 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Imp Posted Image

Wrong I always wanted the see the love child between the Atlas and Urbie. Aka the IMP ;)

Edited by [EDMW]CSN, 17 February 2012 - 08:49 AM.

#8 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

hey, its 3049 right, Mech technology is about to take a huge hit, in the next 18months on the ramp up of Clan technology being introduced.

there is NO reason Canon mech technology is in stone;

Fasa, MS, and Harmony Gold have screwed this world up for us the last 10 years; I feel WE as fans can influence technology and help create a new vibrant life into the Mechwarrior/Battletech world...

Edited by Opus, 17 February 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#9 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

I can't see why it would be a bad idea really. Any idea of when the last NEW design was produced in the Sphere? Pre-Clan invasion of course.

Why would designers just suddenly stop making new designs? Given the BT cost to retrofit an older design with new Tech, why not build new designs from scratch? The ability has returned to the Great Houses right?

Isn't the holder of the IP the one with the last word on such matters?

#10 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

Once agian I see the silent lurking BTU fans are saying no, but not allot of reason why. Hmmzors

#11 Shamsterdam

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationTerra - Great Lakes Regional Field Battery

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

If I recall correctly, wasnt the Mektek created Deimos legitimized and added to Canon?

Link http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Deimos

Edited by Shamsterdam, 17 February 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#12 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 17 February 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

I can't see why it would be a bad idea really. Any idea of when the last NEW design was produced in the Sphere? Pre-Clan invasion of course. Why would designers just suddenly stop making new designs? Given the BT cost to retrofit an older design with new Tech, why not build new designs from scratch? The ability has returned to the Great Houses right? Isn't the holder of the IP the one with the last word on such matters?

Point taken. But it is still a lot simpler to upgrade existing mechs with field weapon packages. Remember this is Clan invasion era, it will be a lot faster to bolt on new weapons onto the existing mechs to throw at the Clanners than to make a totally new design. And it is still cheaper.

To build a totally new Battlemech, you need to have an R&D team to begin with. A dedicated factory, a secured shipping line for supplies to flow through, procurement and most importantly, time.

In any case, new mechs can be canonized eventually like the Deimos. But just give me my 2075 and 3025 mechs with invasion era toys and I will be happy ;)

Edited by [EDMW]CSN, 17 February 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#13 Omigir

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

View Post[EDMW]CSN, on 17 February 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

Point taken. But it is still a lot simpler to upgrade existing mechs with field weapon packages. Remember this is Clan invasion era, it will be a lot faster to bolt on new weapons onto the existing mechs to throw at the Clanners than to make a totally new design. And it is still cheaper.

To build a totally new Battlemech, you need to have an R&D team to begin with. A dedicated factory, a secured shipping line for supplies to flow through, procurement and most importantly, time.

In any case, new mechs can be canonized eventually like the Deimos. But just give me my 2075 and 3025 mechs with invasion era toys and I will be happy ;)

All I really have to say, is that with as much war as is going on in the IS, it makes no sens that R&D slowed down as much as it had during 3030-3050. The IS does not really start seeing new technology untill *after* the clans invade. This is unheard of. War always breeds new techology yet not only did the termoil prevent new war machines being developed, but the IS retarded in concepts and desing during this time frame. Why not stumble on lost tech a little bit sooner? Have that burst of inovations that are seen in 3050-3060 (or so) when starlegue tech is being rediscovered and implimented occure sooner?

#14 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostOmigir, on 17 February 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Imp
Posted Image

OMG isnt that Jango Fett
Dont post starwars stuff in here guys xD

I guess we dont have to worry about non canon mechs cause we have more than we can chew avaible.
Atleast its not like Startrek right EVERYTHING MUST GO even the "canon" ESPECIALLY the CANON
http://youtu.be/PkCW4TkLBfo

Edited by Bluey, 17 February 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#15 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

It is not unreasonable, to have looked over some 260+ Prime Mech pictures and then say, OK, , this design will not look at all like anything before...

Tough assignment for sure. No Gundam and or Robotech shtuff need apply either. ;)

Edited by MaddMaxx, 17 February 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#16 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 17 February 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

Any idea of when the last NEW design was produced in the Sphere? Pre-Clan invasion of course.

Wolfhound - 3028
Hatchetman and Axman - 3023

The thing is, there are already so many mechs that folks love and have a lot of lore about that we don't really need anything new. Once the clans hit they will be busy enough keeping up with bringing all those mechs out.

#17 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

View Post[EDMW]CSN, on 17 February 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

That is true as well, but as Omigir noted, BIG picture, why did new designs not just happen as new materials, Tech and yada yada show up over the years, both in the IS and the game proper.

I suppose though, for the game, not one had more than 25 Prime designs? So if the Dev Team wanted to introduce ALL new Mechs, just go to the catalog, select 50 Primes that have never been in a MW game and away we go.

As for the stuff needed to build Mechs, we are talking about a UNIVERSE that lives and dies by its BattleMechs and has do so for a 1200 years. ^_^

Edited by MaddMaxx, 17 February 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#18 Neovenator

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

I voted no, that we should stick to canon mechs only. My reasons for this are are as follows:

Using Catalyst Game Labs TRO3039 as a basis there are a total of 82 unique mechs described within, this number jumps to 216 if you include the variants. If I were to include mechs from TRO3050 (inner sphere and clan), we would likely be around 400 mechs and variants.

Given that number of mechs included in past mechwarrior/mechcommander games I highly doubt we will ever see all of the above canon mechs in MWO, so what would be the point of introducing non-canon mechs to the mix?

I know that anyone can sit down and design a 'better' mech than the cannon units but if we allow non-canon mechs and/or full customization what's the point of having named mechs why not just pilot say 50ton chassis as it would amount to the same thing.

#19 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

New mech's are fine, as long as they are new within the timeline. Since the game diverges from the start of launch on, from official cannon, it makes sense that any new mechs AFTER the start date that come into being are also acceptable (Anticipated, more-so expected!) in this "UNIVERSE". I hate metaphysical "Startrek timeline" crap, but tragically, that's probably the easiest way to see it.

IF we were playing strict cannon, then what really would be the point, all the major battles have been decided in literature up to a certain extent, and define and described. The diversion from cannon politically and militarily is the only way that we as drivers ad units can influence the "reality of the game", why not the machines we drive too.

If there is a perceived need for a mech that's heavy with LRMS on 4 legs, then the market should provide such a machine. Doesn't mean we forget cannon mechs from launch on, just means there should be some room for growth along that vein. Lets face it some cannon mech designs deserve to disappear (Charger, Blackjack sure opins vary here those are mine) IF the game doesn't grow, or cannot grow in order to feed the conservative trollings of "BUT IT DIDN'T HAPPEN THAT WAYS!" sayers, I see no reason to play.

In any game > the more variations, the more tactics, the more skills, the more fun! To add, R &D may slow, but for those who make war, it never truly stops.
Just MHO I could be wrong.

Edited by Vexgrave Lars, 17 February 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#20 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

View PostOmigir, on 17 February 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

All I really have to say, is that with as much war as is going on in the IS, it makes no sens that R&D slowed down as much as it had during 3030-3050. The IS does not really start seeing new technology untill *after* the clans invade. This is unheard of. War always breeds new techology yet not only did the termoil prevent new war machines being developed, but the IS retarded in concepts and desing during this time frame. Why not stumble on lost tech a little bit sooner? Have that burst of inovations that are seen in 3050-3060 (or so) when starlegue tech is being rediscovered and implimented occure sooner?

Actually they DID made new mechs.

Merlin
Hatchetman
Axman
Wolfhound
Mauler / Daboku
Raven
Cataphract
Hatamoto Chi

Just to name a handful off my head.
So I doubt we need more ? :S

Edited by [EDMW]CSN, 17 February 2012 - 09:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users