Hawken - discussion thread

38 replies to this topic

#1 Artifex 28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Thought I´d do a favor for fellow gamers. Perhaps diminishing player amounts hasten the "fixing" of the grind-part of MWO. ******** trial mechs... ;)

[REDACTED]

Advertising

Posted Image
This category includes advertisement of:
  • Any non-beneficial, non-Piranha Games Inc. related businesses, organizations, or websites

Edited by miSs, 05 October 2012 - 09:21 AM.

#2 FR33JACK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Already try it...don't like it though. Too much arcade with very fast based gameplay...if MWO it's a "Arma", then Hawken is "Unreal Tournament" ;) - I'm staying with MechWarrior...

#3 Nacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

It could be a good thing. To keep "fast pace" players away from MWO, because we would know these "fast pace" players are no good in MWO anyway. Teamwork-wise... yeah, no good.

#4 Joe3142

Slothstronaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Im not even going to touch hawken, just from looking at the trailers and vids it look **** in my opinion. Whereas when I saw MWO I was thinking that is going to be awesome, which in my opinion it is ;)

Thanks for sharing this though :D

#5 Artifex 28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostJoe3142, on 04 October 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

Thanks for sharing this though ;)

Not a problem! I just hope the redeem code still works. :D

#6 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

The games are very different and players will select the one they like best. They aren't going to select 1 just because it's better than the other.(Which is common with most other games, IE WoW vs a WoW clone or CoD vs a CoD clone) MechWarrior Online is much more slowly paced in combat, which is how I like it. Hawken is a FPS, which I don't like at all. But plenty of players are the other way around... hence why FPS titles are extremely popular. CoD titles and games like TF2 are still loaded with players to this day. Hawken won't be starved for customers anymore than us.

#7 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

I tried it for about a day, but I think I will stick with MW:O myself. Each has it's own merits, but from what I've experienced I prefer MW:O. I might give it a try again later on to see how it is.

#8 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Thx, gonna give Hawken a try, looks fun in a different way to MWO, i plan to play both ;)

#9 NBShootme

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Awesome! Thanks.

#10 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

Downloaded it started it, just can't get into it.

#11 zer0imh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 581 posts
  • LocationFomalhaut

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

how can we get in?

#12 Ghost_19Hz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSHB

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

The atmosphere it gives is great and the gun animations are awesome, but other than that, the twitch base clunky control feel like one user said: a "VW Beetle with a sub machine gun" and boosters is how you feel whilst fighting/moving. Mechwarrior online does a much better job satisfying my lust for giant powerful mech simulator combat. I'm sure its good for some people. Question though, are you allowed to post threads about other games?

#13 Artifex 28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostPythonCPT, on 04 October 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

The atmosphere it gives is great and the gun animations are awesome, but other than that, the twitch base clunky control feel like one user said: a "VW Beetle with a sub machine gun" and boosters is how you feel whilst fighting/moving. Mechwarrior online does a much better job satisfying my lust for giant powerful mech simulator combat. I'm sure its good for some people. Question though, are you allowed to post threads about other games?

There´s a thing called freedom of speech. It´s not like talking about other games is violating NDA of MWO, which was even lifted. It´s under general discussion. Games are bound to be compared to others etc. That is just how the world works. :)

And no one is basically even discussing Hawken as it has NDA still. Just gave people a chance to try it for themselves.

Edited by Artifex 28, 04 October 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#14 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

You are allowed to post threads about other games, but not in the General Discussion forums since it's wholly unrelated to MechWarrior Online. This belongs under the Jettisoned Communication section, with the threads on all the other games out there.

Note from miSs: Discussing about another game is allowed, promoting another game on our website is not. Thanks.

Edited by miSs, 05 October 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#15 Artifex 28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostHayashi, on 04 October 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

You are allowed to post threads about other games, but not in the General Discussion forums since it's wholly unrelated to MechWarrior Online. This belongs under the Jettisoned Communication section, with the threads on all the other games out there.

Ah, was just going to ask you if you could move it there. Apparently we are already here. :)

#16 Damascus

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

I'm in the Hawken alpha and it plays more like Armored Core. A fun game, but a very different feel.

#17 mrDUDE

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for this, downloading now.
Code still seems to work.

#18 Nacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Played for a while... it's just.... absurd.

It DOES feel like playing Call of Duty, which is a worst way to play a mech game. However, as graphic artist myself... their models are very "cheap". I would look at a truck that happened to be sitting on a highway, you could make out the polygon like as if it came from 1999. I even saw a structure that meant to be like a half-tube warehouse. It had its texture run off the edges like they just "slap" it on. Their map is very repetitive, full of repeats and mash-up of same objects into one object that they're "hoping" to make it look unique. The whole work is just sloppy. Feels like you're playing in a Junkyard instead of this "futuristic trashy urban city" theme.

It's just horrifying way to see the next "big gen" mech game turn into like that. It feels like they're just using Unreal Engine 3 to make their turds look shiny. Their gameplay is like putting a dead fly on top of the **** as you'd put cherry on ice cream. I'd like to find something positive about it... I'd say the rendering engine is great!... but that's not their work, that's developed by Epic for UE3. So I'm stuck with nothing positive so far.

It's just plain horrifying. Uninstalling Hawken right after this post.

I know it's still in "alpha", but I do have good common sense how games are developed.

#19 Gedeon Kane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOregon

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

whoa tx for that code!

#20 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

Well downloaded it, and played a few games, looks really nice but run far worse than MWO on this system.
Um gameplay just isn't what i was expecting, doesn't feel like your in a mech at all, its just like a re-skinned version of CoD with cool looking maps.
The weapons feel horrible and there's little distinction between one weapon system and the next, also feels like there's not any kind of accuracy there at all, very twitchy.
I actually lost the desire to play after about ten minutes, there just isn't the same depth as MWO.
On a positive note they do have a lot of game modes and you can test out new modes that are planned.
Thank god for MWO!!!!.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users