21 replies to this topic

#1 palebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 352 posts
  • Location750 km East of Vancouver but only 10km from Russ' Mom's house

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

So we haven't heard much, if anything, about salvage. Does this concern anyone?

#2 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

Just assume were not getting any - just get C-bills. There have been several threads about it.

#3 palebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 352 posts
  • Location750 km East of Vancouver but only 10km from Russ' Mom's house

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Yeah, I've read through them but I didn't see any clarifications one way or the other about salvage. Just speculation and references to very old interviews.

#4 El Loco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNew Haven, CT

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

My guess is: We'll get some answers in Mechwarfare Dev Blog Part II, together with info on the 'Mechlab.

#5 Duncan Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 56 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

Salvage is important... but I suspect its getting backseat treatment to fighting, and overall design/gameplay.

#6 Felix Dracc

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

They'll get to it when they get to it, but more likely we'll be looking at a C-Bill pay out from a match more than any thing else with perhaps some items given out depending on various factors but I doubt well see much in the way of a real salvage system.

#7 General Mal Function

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

I would like, just like the majority of other people( I suspect) for there to be salvage. you want a real economy? this would be a PRIME way to have something 'real' and potentially of a limited quanitity to buy/sell/swap with.

#8 cinco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

with the way your mech can never get destroyed, you probably click salvage to salvage your own downed mech after the round is over.

#9 Thrall

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

View Postcinco, on 18 March 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

with the way your mech can never get destroyed,

Where was this posted? I'd like to read the info.

#10 Mason Ventris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

I hope we can salvage. Maybe even build mechs for free if we salvage that type of mech enough. Sounds kinda MMORPGish but hey I like it.

#11 Qman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationCanberra. Oz

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

View Postpalebear, on 18 March 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

So we haven't heard much, if anything, about salvage. Does this concern anyone?

Nope not concerned at all.

Edited by Qman, 18 March 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#12 Thrall

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

In July 09 there was an interview with Russ Bullock and Jordan Weisman.

Their desires was to make Mechs important again.. rare to come across and more previous to keep functioning than any humans life. There will be salvage in co-op campaign based on the situation they are creating and planning to throw us into.

Russ Bullock - The mechs are so valuable and so important: they're more important than the guy you've got in the cockpit. You can find another guy, but the mechs are so valuable.Salvage will take on more of a real meaning in the game, right down to a rudimentary level of "keep getting enough parts to keep fighting" rather than "I have another six chassis in my inventory to just throw on the market."

Jordan Weisman - Not only are mechs scarce and [it's] incredibly important to preserve and salvage what you can to maintain them

I would recommend reading this article http://pc.ign.com/ar.../1002164p1.html - (i'm still reading myself, salvage is mentioned on page 3)

oh yea and they are developing 4-player co-op for campaign (hopefully)

Edited by Thrall, 18 March 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#13 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

I don't think there will be any physical salvage. It can easily be explained away.

You fight on behalf of your merc corps or house. The house or corps takes the salvage, sells it, then give you a share of the profits as payment for the match.

#14 ArchSight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 492 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

If salvage comes in, your going to see an increase in pirate activity. :(

#15 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

View PostThrall, on 18 March 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

I would recommend reading this article http://pc.ign.com/ar.../1002164p1.html - (i'm still reading myself, salvage is mentioned on page 3)

None of this is valid anymore. That was 3 years ago, back when they still believed they would be making Mechwarrior for the consoles and that it would be similar to previous Mechwarrior games.

#16 NightFallsOnU

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationPlanet Robinson

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

View PostArchSight, on 18 March 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

If salvage comes in, your going to see an increase in pirate activity. :(

I would be fine with that... would make me wanna be a pirate

#17 firestorm119

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

I don't find salvage to be realistic in a MMO setting simply because it requires one player to lose significant resources and another to gain them from a single match. If salvage were in effect then after the very first match half of the players would be out a mech (those who lose); nobody wants to play a game where after your first time playing you have to create a new account because you bankrupted your character by losing your only mech.

That being said, I think that some advanced game variants using this very concept would be fun and exciting for those who chose to gamble with their tech. Nothing like 'winner takes all' to really make you sweat in your cockpit.

#18 LordDeathStrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

View Postcinco, on 18 March 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

with the way your mech can never get destroyed, you probably click salvage to salvage your own downed mech after the round is over.

any salvaged chasis or parts have to come from somewhere, so if you were to salvage an atlas when you were piloting a hunchback, you just stole someones atlas, you both cant have it after all.

i dont see them having this be a full loot pvp game, likely youll get paid in cbills based on win or lose for amount, and salvage your own broken mech, possibly with weapons destroyed requireing replacement.

at the same time blown off parts like arms and the weapons in them being up for grabs wouldnt be so bad.

#19 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

View PostThrall, on 18 March 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

As Orzorn said, this article is just too old and outdated - MW:O doesn't have singleplayer or a campaign!

Edited by autogyro, 19 March 2012 - 03:41 AM.

#20 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

View PostThrall, on 18 March 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

Where was this posted? I'd like to read the info.

It was posted here http://mwomercs.com/...4-role-warfare/ In the Developer Q&A 4. Its the 7th question down.

"
Let's say you level up your mech and pilot through a series of battles, and then one fateful day you have your ride completely destroyed. Do you lose all mech XP and start over in a new mech, but retain your buff pilot abilities? –BarHaid

[PAUL] You will not be able to have your ’Mech destroyed but that being said, if you somehow lost your ’Mech you would not have to rework your way through the Mech Tree. You retain your XP for that chassis.
[DAVID] Your ’Mech can never be completely destroyed. Even when it’s shot to pieces, your team of mechanics and techies are skilled enough to restore it to a bare minimum, just barely functioning state. If you pay your repair bills, they’ll be able to repair it all the way up to a perfectly pristine condition. So you won’t lose any of your ’Mech XP or the ’Mech Efficiencies that you have unlocked with it. Also, keep in mind that the ’Mech Efficiencies represent not just the small tweaks and tuning that your tech team performs on the ’Mechs that you pilot, but also your ability as a pilot to squeeze the extra mile out of every system as you become more familiar with operating a particular model or variant.
[GARTH] To be clear, you could take a damaged ‘Mech into combat, if you wanted to."

If you haven't read all the Q&As and Dev Blogs, you are missing out on alot of great info.

@Thrall - As stated above, that interview is from 2009 for the project they were shopping around as a console game. Although I am sure many of the core concepts remain the same I would not take anything from that interview to heart. Read all the Q&As , Dev Blogs, and these Boards for all your MWO info.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users