Dark Side of the Moon

9 replies to this topic

#1 Endo Steel

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

I know this is a relatively simple request that ties into weather effects, probably a special map that would be implemented down the road, but still...

I want to see a map that is a tiny planetoid with no atmosphere spinning quickly. Daytime results in increased heat for everyone, maybe even to the point that some mechs must shut down for a few seconds at "noon" Nighttime is very cold and allows energy weapons to be used rather liberally. These cycles would be something around 5-10 minutes and accompanied by appropriate visuals of the day/night line sweeping across the battlefield.

Insanely greedy, I know, and a pain to make. But you have to admit it would be awesome.

#2 cinco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

why the hell would you fight on a planet/moon that is small enough to have such sudden day/night changes? with 15 vs 15, rounds won't take more than 10 minutes.

there'd be no strategic value to holding such a planetoid.

awful idea. please use your head to consider the practicality of it.

#3 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

View Postcinco, on 19 March 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

why the hell would you fight on a planet/moon that is small enough to have such sudden day/night changes? with 15 vs 15, rounds won't take more than 10 minutes.

there'd be no strategic value to holding such a planetoid.

awful idea. please use your head to consider the practicality of it.

Actually cinco,

The idea itself with a rapidly changing time of day may not fit too well but severe changes in environment over the course of a match is not unheard of.

I'd like for you to take some time to realize that people are more than welcome to express their ideas and it's 100% in your power to ignore the suggestion instead of being blatantly negative.

#4 Bren

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

View Postcinco, on 19 March 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

why the hell would you fight on a planet/moon that is small enough to have such sudden day/night changes

Guess the size of the planet in our solar system that has the fastest rotation/shortest day.

#5 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:39 AM

MWLL has such a map ( Lunar I think ? The name escapes me )

It's actually a great idea and alot of fun . During the daytime temperatures spike and your mech runs hot. During the night cycle the temperature hits freezing, the small lake freezes over and you can laser boat all day .

Cinco posting something negative ?! NO ! Just every other post .

#6 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

View PostHelmer, on 20 March 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

MWLL has such a map ( Lunar I think ? The name escapes me )

It's actually a great idea and alot of fun . During the daytime temperatures spike and your mech runs hot. During the night cycle the temperature hits freezing, the small lake freezes over and you can laser boat all day .

TSA_Extremity!

Its an interesting map to fight on for sure, but I can understand why it wouldn't really fit in MWO

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 20 March 2012 - 06:11 AM.

#7 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 20 March 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

TSA_Extremity!

Its an interesting map to fight on for sure, but I can understand why it wouldn't really fit in MWO

Thanks Capper! Early morning, 4 year old, newborn....no Coffee...... brain....not.....working........

I LOVE games with maps/levels/arenas that have interesting gameplay mechanics.

#8 Endo Steel

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

Well obviously some of it makes sense and some of it is a video game abstraction. It wouldn't be strange at all to fight over a rare mineral deposit on some tiny rock. The books, the tabletop, and even previous games have all used this scenario before, finding ways to make it very interesting.

The super-short day/night cycles are of course a gameplay abstraction, since any realistic measurement of time would be meaningless. The cycle needs to change several times during the course of the game for it to be fun.

I haven't played MWLL, but I've slowly learned to outfit my mechs with reflective armor for MW4 lunar maps and reactive armor for deserts. With a little group planning, you could have dedicated day/night forces and trade off roles which I think would be SWEET. With a new clan system and (probably) everybody using a mic, such well-planned strategies become globally viable for the first time in mechwarrior history. The game should encourage them like crazy, at least in the early days.

Edited by Endo Steel, 20 March 2012 - 06:39 AM.

#9 Agent CraZy DiP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 609 posts
  • LocationAZ - USA

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

Who isn't to say that Solaris arena wouldn't have a tourney on a small moon or a large asteroid?

#10 Siilk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 20 March 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

TSA_Extremity!

Yeah, it's a beautiful map, with scenic view and unforgiving environment. Low gravity, extremely hot during daytime, extremely cold during night time, duration of a day/night cycle is about 5 minutes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users